Is club lax destroying Public HS programs?

HS Boys Lacrosse
formerwclaxer

Re: Is club lax destroying Public HS programs?

Post by formerwclaxer »

Very interesting discussion. I am still a big fan of lacrosse, especially now that I have a grandkid involved at a middle school age Club program. Thus far, in this particular situation, I do not see this Club significantly impacting the local Rec . I may be wrong. However, in our area, this is the only way the better and more committed kids get to compete against top kids in our state and beyond. But to move on to my question. Private school tuition can be extremely expensive especially when faced with 4 years of college coming up. May I assume it is the consensus of opinion, however, that unless one attends high school at one of the privates or one of the few better publics, the chances of getting the opportunity of playing for a D1 college program is highly unlikely. I am not necessarily talking athletic scholarship level, but at least as a member of the D1 team that may play meaningful minutes in most games. In other words, without the private school lacrosse background, chances are your focus should probably be DIII to be realistic. This grandkid has size, speed, aggressiveness and stickwork and has held his own against many top Club players. But will he continue to develop in the public school setting? Comments please.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

At least for Maryland, I’d say your comments are pretty accurate.

There are only a handful of Public schools in the state regularly pumping out D1 kids. Could name those on one hand. The rest all come from MIAA A Schools. The competition at most public’s in MD is mediocre to bad. Just look at the state playoffs. Not very competitive. It’s not better in the regular season.

If the grandkid can land himself on a top hs club team it may help, but that’s a tough challenge too, if he doesn’t have the private school pedigree. Unfortunately, those top club teams are run by the private school coaches and they often give the nod to “their kids.”
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Up here in New England I wish they would have some high level club teams that are predominantly public school focused. Keep the kids from being poached by the lax bro, ISL assistant coaches who come and go like the wind.

In Mass. It used to be the prep school kids mostly played Clams and the public kids played Laxachusetts but then the water got muddied and it seems like all the clubs are predominantly coached by private school coaches now.

I know Vona, at Lincoln Sudbury, has built a powerhouse and has shunned the clubs. I wish more PS coaches followed his lead and pushed back with an alternative to the current club options.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Maybe the question ought to be is club lax destroying Private and public high school lacrosse? It has already happened in basketball and soccer. High school gymnastics is a thing of the past. Wrestling is going that way. Same with fast pitch. Swimming is the same.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

formerwclaxer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:16 pm Very interesting discussion. I am still a big fan of lacrosse, especially now that I have a grandkid involved at a middle school age Club program. Thus far, in this particular situation, I do not see this Club significantly impacting the local Rec . I may be wrong. However, in our area, this is the only way the better and more committed kids get to compete against top kids in our state and beyond. But to move on to my question. Private school tuition can be extremely expensive especially when faced with 4 years of college coming up. May I assume it is the consensus of opinion, however, that unless one attends high school at one of the privates or one of the few better publics, the chances of getting the opportunity of playing for a D1 college program is highly unlikely. I am not necessarily talking athletic scholarship level, but at least as a member of the D1 team that may play meaningful minutes in most games. In other words, without the private school lacrosse background, chances are your focus should probably be DIII to be realistic. This grandkid has size, speed, aggressiveness and stickwork and has held his own against many top Club players. But will he continue to develop in the public school setting? Comments please.
What state? It may well depend.

That said, it is less about about "private" or "public" than whether the program has first rate coaching and competes in a tough league, and plays top level competition out of league.

In some states you can find a few public schools or even a bunch of public schools with those characteristics, in others it's almost entirely private.

Re club destroying the private lax scene, I don't see that happening in the hotbed areas in the near term (next two decades).
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The place where Club vs Rec does hurt the game, is when it forces the "sort" too early. The tough dynamic is when you have 5th, 6th and 7th grade kids being told they aren't good enough to play with their friends. The sport loses a lot of kids that could develop into great lacrosse players as they mature. The kids who just miss the cut for club end up frustrated on a "developmental" rec team and quit and/or move on to another sport.

Their other option is to play on the "C" team for a huge club program where they are mostly just paying fees to support the A team and the coaches/program directors.

I don't see a great solution though. Kids who are really good want to play with and against other kids who are really good. The genie is out of the bottle.

Smart varsity high school coaches should be looking to set themselves up in schools/districts where they can control their feeder program. It helps supplement their income, provides additional income for good assistant coaches and creates the right incentives for the coaches - to develop as many young kids as they can so that when they get to varsity the pool is deep.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

HooDat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 pm
Smart varsity high school coaches should be looking to set themselves up in schools/districts where they can control their feeder program. It helps supplement their income, provides additional income for good assistant coaches and creates the right incentives for the coaches - to develop as many young kids as they can so that when they get to varsity the pool is deep.
This is potentially a slippery slope. Can lead to a serious conflict of interest when players at the coach's pay-to-play club are given preference over those that play for a different club.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

cltlax wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:56 pm
HooDat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 pm
This is potentially a slippery slope. Can lead to a serious conflict of interest when players at the coach's pay-to-play club are given preference over those that play for a different club.
yes it can, and have heard horror stories. The club has to incorporate some kind of transition once kids get to high school age so that those incentives and the power are taken away. In my opinion high school varsity coaches should not coach their own high school kids in the off-season - and really they should be coaching middle school and younger kids - their FEEDER system. An unscrupulous coach may try to imply that you better play for him in middle school, but his incentive to win once your on his HS team should rule out since he can't make money off you anyway.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”