Texas HS Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
washedupobserver

Re: Texas HS Lacrosse 2020

Post by washedupobserver »

Doid23 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:08 pm Great discussion above about programs. Reasoned, civil disagreement, intelligent discourse, who knew that existed on the internet :D ?

A few thoughts:
* Jesuit is definitely different than ESD and St. Marks. What they have with IH is unique, and definitely a competitive advantage. I agree that they don't recruit, but they are a school that emphasizes athletics, compete at a high level in 6A in many sports, and attract kids who are athletically inclined. And IH is a great sales pitch. Good for them.
* ESD and St Marks don't have near the strength of program that Jesuit has. ESD focuses on the varsity, they have no D2 program, and their JV program is part feeder, part student participation. St Marks not only doesn't have a D2 program, they haven't even had a JV team for the past several years, and won't anytime soon. Neither ESD or St Marks have a feeder program even close to IH and Deuces (in fact, some of the better players at SM and ESD play for IH)
* I'm not sure if UIL status would be good or bad for Lacrosse, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
* As to football coaches supporting lacrosse if it went UIL, I don't believe that would happen. One of the big differences between the East Coast and Texas that I've found is that most Texas football coaches do not support lacrosse, would much rather have their players running track, attending spring practice, and lifting. I don't see becoming a UIL sport changing that.
Do we really wanna call IH a feeder program. I mean I get duces its the catholic schools together in middle school. But st.marks has that esd has that every school that plays 5th-8th grade schedule has that. It would be ridiculous to expect an spc private to have a d2. If they're coed your looking at 50 boys a class compared to strake and dallas jesuit who may have as many as 200 boys a class if not more. If strength is defined by having a D2 and a coach that runs a club team, then I think that definition of strength is pretty worthless.

Win all the d2 titles you want your still on JV-A
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HS BOYS: South Top 25

Based on Ws and Ls in 2020 and who those Ws and Ls were against (by FanLax Computer). No 2019, no speculation.

Rank Team
1 Dallas Jesuit
2 St Andrews FL
3 Westlake TX
4 Ponte Vedra
5 Allatoona
6 Lambert
7 Lake Highland Prep
8 Walton
9 Vandegrift
10 Christian Brothers TN
11 Lassiter
12 Starrs Mill
13 Bishop Moore
14 Episcopal Dallas
15 IMG Academy
16 Buford
17 Benjamin School
18 St Marks TX
19 Maclay
20 Middle Creek
21 Lake Travis
22 Woodward Academy
23 American Heritage Plantation
24 Kings Academy
25 Highland Park TX

There's more details here: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/11/hs- ... th-top-25/.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Who's optimistic that we get this season back on in a week or two? We have 350 cases and 8 deaths. This seems under control. NY is a mess, but we seem to be ok down here.
buhund

Post by buhund »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 am Who's optimistic that we get this season back on in a week or two? We have 350 cases and 8 deaths. This seems under control. NY is a mess, but we seem to be ok down here.
The Texas DSHS is reporting over 700 cases and 11 deaths, and growing. Things are headed in the wrong direction.

UIL has canceled events through May 4th. Since some programs follow UIL rules I doubt THSLL can start the season up before then.

My guess is that the absolute best case scenario is cramming in a few games in early May and still have playoffs completed by May 24th.
TexasLax

Post by TexasLax »

Anyone hear anything about the summer club tournaments? I’m already thinking that the high school season is likely done but wondering if any of the summer club circuit will happen? I’m basing my guess for high school on the assumption that kids won’t be going back to school until the fall.
laxman

Post by laxman »

THSLL just announced they are cancelling the season.
buhund

Post by buhund »

THSLL has officially canceled the season.

On March 31, Governor Greg Abbott announced that he is extending all Texas school closures through May 4, in response to the escalating COVID-19 pandemic. It also remains to be seen what extracurricular activities, including lacrosse, could resume even if schools were to reopen on time.

Faced with these difficult circumstances, the THSLL Board of Directors has voted to cancel the remainder of the 2020 season. We know that this decision is hugely disappointing to everyone, in particular to our graduating seniors.

We wish there were another way. Please keep safe and healthy over the coming weeks and months.
allagash

Post by allagash »

Since we have nothing to do....what about a way to early 2021- Top 10- DI and DII
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Next year final 8

Dallas Jesuit
ESD
WESTLAKE
HIGHLAND PARK
LAKE TRAVIS
THE WOODLANDS
Southlake Carrol
King wood
allagash

Post by allagash »

Kingwood lost a lot with their 2020 class
LaxLurker

Post by LaxLurker »

Any news on what THSLL is going to do? Heard that the TAPP schools are moving sports to the spring (I don't know if this is true or not)...also hearing stronger rumblings that FB moves to the Spring, which may cause massive chaos for Spring lacrosse (field access, players forced to choose etc)....just putting the question out there to see if anyone has information....information is moving fast so no idea what the plan is....just curious.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

In Virginia, VHSL is thinking about something similar. It would be three short seasons starting in the winter with a shorter winter season, fall in February and Spring in April each about 6 weeks. They would not overlap so multi-sport athletes could in theory complete in all three.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

It would be a real shame to see football move to the spring. Just won't seem right and then it will conflict with Lacrosse, Soccer, and a little of basketball.

Kids will have to make some decisions on where to spend their time. Will be interesting to see what happens.
buhund

Post by buhund »

Surfs_Up wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:21 pm It would be a real shame to see football move to the spring. Just won't seem right and then it will conflict with Lacrosse, Soccer, and a little of basketball.

Kids will have to make some decisions on where to spend their time. Will be interesting to see what happens.
I think it gets even more challenging than you've laid out. Basketball playoffs go to the middle of March. You didn't even mention baseball and track.

Plus there's the conflict for the coaches. At my son's high school all of the football coaches also coach another sport. The offensive coordinator is also the head baseball coach. I have no idea how that would work. And I think it's a little too late to consider flipping spring and fall sports.

I think high school football in Texas will follow what college football does. If college plays in the fall, high school will as well. I can also see high school canceling non-district games like some college conferences have done.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

buhund wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am
Surfs_Up wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:21 pm It would be a real shame to see football move to the spring. Just won't seem right and then it will conflict with Lacrosse, Soccer, and a little of basketball.

I think it gets even more challenging than you've laid out. Basketball playoffs go to the middle of March. You didn't even mention baseball and track.

Plus there's the conflict for the coaches. At my son's high school all of the football coaches also coach another sport. The offensive coordinator is also the head baseball coach. I have no idea how that would work. And I think it's a little too late to consider flipping spring and fall sports.

I think high school football in Texas will follow what college football does. If college plays in the fall, high school will as well. I can also see high school canceling non-district games like some college conferences have done.
I have always had the somewhat bizarre thought that in Texas, winter sports should be played in fall (since the early season is too dang hot to be outside playing football, and then play football in the winter - when the weather is appropriate. TX in general would never go for that because then you couldn't start the season extra early (since the state finally had to enact rules about how many weeks before classes start you were allowed to have practice, and then when that got abused, they had to make rules about how early you could start classes... :ugeek: :roll:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
buhund

Post by buhund »

HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 am
buhund wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am

I have always had the somewhat bizarre thought that in Texas, winter sports should be played in fall (since the early season is too dang hot to be outside playing football, and then play football in the winter - when the weather is appropriate. TX in general would never go for that because then you couldn't start the season extra early (since the state finally had to enact rules about how many weeks before classes start you were allowed to have practice, and then when that got abused, they had to make rules about how early you could start classes... :ugeek: :roll:
I can't tell if you were suggesting this as a real option or to just be funny.

If you were proposing this as a real option there are a ton of reasons why this wouldn't work.

If you were just making a comment about the obsession with football in Texas, then point taken. :)
TexasLax

Post by TexasLax »

Looks more and more likely that there won’t be football in the fall. Not sure if they will try to play in the spring, but if I am THSLL, I would strongly consider playing the high school lax season this fall. Club ball is going strong; there shouldn’t be much of a transition.
buhund

Post by buhund »

TexasLax wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm Looks more and more likely that there won’t be football in the fall. Not sure if they will try to play in the spring, but if I am THSLL, I would strongly consider playing the high school lax season this fall. Club ball is going strong; there shouldn’t be much of a transition.
From what I've read, spring football looks extremely doubtful. There are athletes who play multiple sports (especially at the lower levels/smaller schools), and coaches wouldn't be able coach football plus their other sport. And as big as football is, I'm not sure if many decision makers would want to cancel spring sports for the second year in a row just so football can play.

Not saying I agree or disagree with your view on fall lacrosse, but I don't think THSLL is even considering it.
TexasLax

Post by TexasLax »

I heard that coaches got an email from THSLL to at least start thinking about what it might look like. That’s not to say it’s a good idea or likely.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

TexasLax wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:00 pm I heard that coaches got an email from THSLL to at least start thinking about what it might look like. That’s not to say it’s a good idea or likely.
How can schools not allow football but allow lacrosse? The concept doesn't make any sense....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”