NY- CHSAA 2020

HS Boys Lacrosse
FlyerFan2001

NY- CHSAA 2020

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

Having finished last season as the IL #3 ranked team in the nation, and returning four top-50 rising senior prospects (#1 O'Neill, #30 Danenza, #38 Walshe, and #44 Naso), as well as elite 2021 Andrew McAdorey and two-year starting goalie Alex Pazienza, among others, is it the consensus opinion that St. Anthony's will be the preseason #1 next spring?

I like that Chaminade will enjoy the home field advantage in this year's "title game"....And while they have not have as much star-power on paper, the team is plenty talented....James Ball (#16), Michael O'Connell (#60), Kevin Kuttin (#64), and Brendan McCabe (#94) are all Inside Lax top-100 2020 recruits...In addition, you have fellow seniors, Michael Lynch (Notre Dame) and Patrick Noonan (Denver) who raised their proverbial stock with solid summers on the club circuit...Chris Kavanagh (2021) and Charles Balsamo (2022) are also dynamic players that should bolster the offense!
Peter Brown

Re: NY- CHSAA 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

At. A's will be a beast next year...hoping they come down to Baltimore and play CHC or they meet on LI.
renault

Post by renault »

FlyerFan2001 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 pm Having finished last season as the IL #3 ranked team in the nation, and returning four top-50 rising senior prospects (#1 O'Neill, #30 Danenza, #38 Walshe, and #44 Naso), as well as elite 2021 Andrew McAdorey and two-year starting goalie Alex Pazienza, among others, is it the consensus opinion that St. Anthony's will be the preseason #1 next spring?

I like that Chaminade will enjoy the home field advantage in this year's "title game"....And while they have not have as much star-power on paper, the team is plenty talented....James Ball (#16), Michael O'Connell (#60), Kevin Kuttin (#64), and Brendan McCabe (#94) are all Inside Lax top-100 2020 recruits...In addition, you have fellow seniors, Michael Lynch (Notre Dame) and Patrick Noonan (Denver) who raised their proverbial stock with solid summers on the club circuit...Chris Kavanagh (2021) and Charles Balsamo (2022) are also dynamic players that should bolster the offense!
holy crap another kavanagh?
random observer

Post by random observer »

renault wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:03 pm
FlyerFan2001 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 pm Having finished last season as the IL #3 ranked team in the nation, and returning four top-50 rising senior prospects (#1 O'Neill, #30 Danenza, #38 Walshe, and #44 Naso), as well as elite 2021 Andrew McAdorey and two-year starting goalie Alex Pazienza, among others, is it the consensus opinion that St. Anthony's will be the preseason #1 next spring?

holy dump another kavanagh?
Yup. Got major minutes as a sophomore. And what's more, that 2021 class has another Fowler, Bonafede, Rooney and Lynch as well!
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

Love all of the sibling combinations we have at Chaminade...

Apologies to Bonafede; I should have included him in my initial mention of top returning players...Absolutely adore the Fowler family; expecting Vin really step in and add toughness to the poles.

The crazy thing is that there are even more siblings (at least I think they are) coming up through the pipeline...On the 2025 LI Express team that has won back-to-back NLF Club National crowns, there was a Lynch, a Kuttin, and and a Balsamo.
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

Unfortunately, since my initial post, it looks as if Chaminade has been hit moderately hard by the transfer bug...

Michael O'Connell will be doing his senior year at Blair Academy; Chris Kavanagh is finishing his last two years of scholastic eligibility at Taft.

Still think the Flyers will be very competitive; all this really means is that the stars have to do a little extra!
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

FlyerFan2001 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:10 pm Unfortunately, since my initial post, it looks as if Chaminade has been hit moderately hard by the transfer bug...

.......Chris Kavanagh is finishing his last two years of scholastic eligibility at Taft.
Your loss is our gain! But you're right, 'nade still has an embarrassment of riches in its lacrosse program.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

O'Connell to Blair Academy is a bit of a surprise. Blair is a wrestling powerhouse. I thought he was a BB player of some note. Is Blair's lacrosse program on as competitive a level as Delbarton.Mt.Lakes etc.?
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

I don't think Blair is particularly strong in lax...But, he will be asset to the hoops team.

Also, it should be noted that this was not a decision the kid wanted to make.

The league is cracking down on student-athletes who enter HS with multiple years of varsity experience. Therefore, because he played at Lutheran as a 7th and 8th grader, the CHSAA declared him ineligible.

My heart breaks for the kid; he deserved to have the privilege of graduating with his friends
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

FlyerFan2001 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm I don't think Blair is particularly strong in lax...But, he will be an asset to the hoops team.

Also, it should be noted that this was not a decision the kid wanted to make.

The league is cracking down on student-athletes who enter HS with multiple years of varsity experience. Therefore, because he played at Lutheran as a 7th and 8th grader, the CHSAA declared him ineligible.

My heart breaks for the kid; he deserved to have the privilege of graduating with his friends
If he or his folks decided a school in New Jersey would be the best place for him, I'm surprised they didn't take look at Lawrenceville. It has a historically better Lacrosse program than Blair. And it's academic profile is excellent. Are these NEW RULES for the CHSAA? Surprised the guidance, athletic department and his parents weren't aware of the pitfalls. A shame this young man has to leave Chaminade and his friends behind. I watched him play (lacrosse)a few times last season.IMHO, he can definitely play Lacrosse at the D-1 level.

A tough lesson to learn at such a tender age.

O'Neill played (lacrosse) as an 8th grader at Bay Shore. If that doesn't count against him per CHSAA rules, why was O'Connell penalized? :roll:
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

My understanding of the situation is that the rule is not necessarily new; it just has never really been enforced consistently.

Chaminade argued that if moving forward the league wants to have a tougher restriction, that is fine; but any kid already enrolled should be grandfathered in as a means of fairness....The school lost in court.

Since I heard all of this second-hand, I could be a little off on my responses; but I think the fact that it was the basketball schools pushing for the judgement against OC is why O'Neill may have been ignored; no one was protesting O'Neill's eligibility, so it was out of sight, out of mind.

Apparently the NYSPHSAA did not care either way; they took a hands-off approach and told the league they can do as they like.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Ryan Lukakovic, Chaminade/UVA, was the HONORMAN of his US Navy Seal class. An outstanding achievement.HOOYAH!

Spec Navy Seal Budweiser.jpg
Spec Navy Seal Budweiser.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 6203 times
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Naso (St.A's) originally committed to UVA has flipped and will join O'Neill at Duke.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

FlyerFan2001 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:15 pm My understanding of the situation is that the rule is not necessarily new; it just has never really been enforced consistently.

Chaminade argued that if moving forward the league wants to have a tougher restriction, that is fine; but any kid already enrolled should be grandfathered in as a means of fairness....The school lost in court.

Since I heard all of this second-hand, I could be a little off on my responses; but I think the fact that it was the basketball schools pushing for the judgement against OC is why O'Neill may have been ignored; no one was protesting O'Neill's eligibility, so it was out of sight, out of mind.

Apparently the NYSPHSAA did not care either way; they took a hands-off approach and told the league they can do as they like.
THE BASKETBALL SCHOOLS?
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

THE BASKETBALL SCHOOLS?
Dom's and Trinity is what I was told.
If_Only

Post by If_Only »

FlyerFan2001 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:15 pm My understanding of the situation is that the rule is not necessarily new; it just has never really been enforced consistently.

Come on, the collective "we" know why. So do you!
Besides the fact the NYSPHSAA is a joke and will only make a stink if a member school does, but that isnt why Oneill was "ignored". He wasnt ignored, he followed the rules. He doesn't fall into the same category as said player (for any sport) and the Chammy AD knew that. He never had to question Oneill's integrity, for you to even bring him into this is a shame.

Oneill, played within his home district in 8th grade. He could have played and started varsity and been an impact player as a 7th grader. (and for those saying it was a weak school, ask Smithtown West '15 how they narrowly escaped the playoff game against his school that year '15 look it up if you dont believe me.

You can absolutely play 6 years of varsity or HS ball, its not easy but you can. Just need to be a great player and do it the right way. Any player who goes to St Anthony's from their home district public school can play in district 7th grade and 8th grade (if they qualify/choose) then proceed to 4 more years in HS. Oneill's Parents were smart enough not to let a 7th grader play, because why let a 12 year old play against 18 year olds. (FYI the rules and maturation testing are now different and a bit more lax and easier to pass then when he was in 7th grade - but he would have past)

Here is my second hand knowledge. Maybe the Chaminade player, and i dont know this for fact but maybe there was an age restriction that was also at play? Maybe To go with the playing HS sports outside of his resident school district.

The moral of the story here is Oneill didnt go outside his school district (at any time - for any reason for HS sports) until St. Anthony's. Many others do and that is for their families to decide, that isnt the argument here and now. Still, why would you bring Oneill into the mix here, flyerfan2001 your are much to smart and in the know for this! You are better then that. FAKE NEWS AT ITS WORST.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

If_Only wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:53 am He could have played and started varsity and been an impact player as a 7th grader. (and for those saying it was a weak school, ask Smithtown West '15 how they narrowly escaped the playoff game against his school that year '15 look it up if you dont believe me.

Agreed.
Bay Shore beat Smithtown West this past year, ...
(Not a weak program, even though some of it’s top talent gets poached occasionally)
Last edited by DeepPocket on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

why would you bring Oneill into the mix here, flyerfan2001 your are much to smart and in the know for this! You are better then that. FAKE NEWS AT ITS WORST.
I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding...

#1 I did not introduce O'Neill into this conversation...I was asked to compare two situations (O'Neill being the example provided to me for one of the scenarios) and said that my impression is that because at the moment it was the basketball schools leading the push to have the rule enforced, that anyone outside of that scope (including Brennan) was not and would not be be in jeopardy..."Ignored" was not a subtle attempt to make an implication of any wrong doing; it was a matter of fact statement that no one else in the league seems to be taking ANY kid to task outside of the one sport.

#2 There is no fake news because there was no news at all...No one is talking about Brennan in a negative manner...No one made accusations, no one called for investigation...You defended him from attacks that were not even being made.

On the contrary, I have nothing but the utmost respect for O'Neill; it has been a privilege watching him compete the past three years and I look forward (aside from the two Chaminade games) to seeing him have a very special senior year....Had he been the one to come under fire, I would have felt just as strongly as I do about OC
If_Only

Post by If_Only »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misunderstanding?

Say what you want, sorry, I just don't believe you! You could have righted it, you knew the answer but chose not to share it. Now, to me YOU flyerfan2001 wrote it to be slick.You just writing... you heard it second hand... does not in my opinion exonerate you from perpetuating the Fake News!
"The league is cracking down on student-athletes who enter HS with multiple years of varsity experience. Therefore, because he played at Lutheran as a 7th and 8th grader, the CHSAA declared him ineligible."

Again, you are better than this, you could have answered this, they are not cracking down on players that played in 7th and 8th grade. If only! They (League/State) are cracking down on players that played HS sports in a private not public school setting while in 7th and 8th (They always have when brought to their attention). Student athletes who played HS sports in their home district while in 7th and 8th grade are not and have never been an issue or investigated.

"...but I think the fact that it was the basketball schools pushing for the judgement against OC is why O'Neill may have been ignored; no one was protesting O'Neill's eligibility, so it was out of sight, out of mind."

and Sorry but I don't know how to take this "... is why O'Neill may have been ignored; no one was protesting O'Neill's eligibility, so it was out of sight, out of mind." You wrote this, break it down. You know you could have answered why "no one was protesting". Because there is no foul play. It wasn't "out of sight out of mind". It was, he played by the rules!
FlyerFan2001

Post by FlyerFan2001 »

Believe me or don't believe me...That is entirely your call.

In the name of trying to keep this positive, I want to say that I am flattered that you think I know more than I do; I am not by any means an insider; I am just a fan and to be quite frank, lacrosse is not my top rooting interest.

It seems you have better information than I do; And I am glad you shared it. It was valuable to the discussion...I sincerely did not receive the same information and verbatim repeated what had been shared with me. There is not and never was any attempt to deceive. Doing so would not have benefited anyone, so what would the point have been?

More than anything, I cannot reiterate enough that this discussion has nothing to do with Brennan O'Neill...No one is directly or indirectly accusing him of anything; In fact, with the exception of you, no one was really even talking about him.

The only mention of him at all (before you decided to defend him against attacks that exist only in your head) was me saying that HE WAS NOT in any jeopardy...I then explained that I had heard that the only league personnel making an issue of this were two basketball coaches. So, if you don't play basketball, they were not paying any attention to you.

If you feel "ignore" was poor word choice, that is fine...However, I can assure you that there was no hidden meaning or implication. I genuinely just meant that he was not on the radar.

Either way, time to move on! This is just going to be a back and forth and in the end, it will be a waste of time for both of us.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”