Maryland Public Schools

HS Boys Lacrosse
thatsmell

Maryland Public Schools

Post by thatsmell »

So who are the favorites in each class this year?

Will anyone repeat?

Can Westminster and Patterson Mill repeat...again?

Who takes over the Hereford program?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
MDHSFan

Re: Maryland Public Schools

Post by MDHSFan »

https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Propo ... _19-21.pdf

I'm pretty sure this proposal was passed by MPSSAA for the next few years. Some pretty big movements in it with Marriotts Ridge and Urbana moving to 3A, Linganore to 2A, and Liberty + Southern moving down to 1A.

Anyways, Picks are bold!
Severna Park is going to win their 5th in a row in 4A
Westminster, Urbana, MR, and Northern are probably the favorites for 3A.
Linganore, Glenelg, Hereford, or Century for 2A. They all have substantial losses from last year so this is pretty much a toss up in this class between them and some others.
Who knows for 1A... Probably going to be Patty Mill again but Southern and Liberty could challenge

Looks like 2020 is gonna be pretty exciting so far in all of the classes except for 4A with that being the only one that seems to be obvious at this point!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think Patty Mill graduated most of their kids from last year.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Any info on Hereford?
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Hereford promoted Kyle Leppard from assistant to Head Coach.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

So Leppert did get it.

The John Carroll/Hereford lax connections continue...
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

Severna Park is the favorite 4A school. However don't overlook South River. They return some top players, Jamison Gaskins (M), Greg Usher (G), Dom Mirrack (D) and Connor Chick (A).
MDHSFan

Post by MDHSFan »

oldskoollax wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:15 pm Severna Park is the favorite 4A school. However don't overlook South River. They return some top players, Jamison Gaskins (M), Greg Usher (G), Dom Mirrack (D) and Connor Chick (A).
SR should be good but it doesn't really matter though because of how dominant SP is going to be. SP returns almost everybody from that team last year. Not trying to overlook teams like an SR, or a Howard, or even a Churchill there's just no chance SP doesn't win it next year.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

oldskoollax wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:15 pm Severna Park is the favorite 4A school. However don't overlook South River. They return some top players, Jamison Gaskins (M), Greg Usher (G), Dom Mirrack (D) and Connor Chick (A).
Do you mean JV ? Players you listed are sophomores. SR will finish 3rd at best in AACO. Both Severna Park and Broadneck have mostly senior teams.
harcooldie

Post by harcooldie »

Looks like Coach Burke is leaving Towson....according to the Twitterverse.

Anyone know where he’s going or the scoop?
Slim

Post by Slim »

Not sure about Burk, but I am hearing some exciting news coming out of the Generals camp. Lots of chatter from several folks. Keeping my ears and eyes open...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Burke will be a tough act to follow. He is a great coach and will be missed. He did a nice job getting the Gennies back on track. Glad to hear they possibly have a good one coming in.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Just announced, Former St Paul’s coach Rick Brocato to take the reigns at his alma mater, Towson:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:00 pm
Do you mean JV ? Players you listed are sophomores. SR will finish 3rd at best in AACO. Both Severna Park and Broadneck have mostly senior teams.
Gaskins and Mirrack are seniors. Chick and Usher are sophomores. Chick started on Varsity as a freshman and had 30 goals and 30 assist. Usher split team at goalie as a freshman on Varsity. Broadneck lost their face-off guy that was dominate. I agree Severna Park has a dominate team and is the favorite to win.
molo

Post by molo »

It will be interesting to see Brocato's impact at Towson. With the increasing role of clubs on the recruiting scene, will more blue chippers--the Towson, Dulaney, and Hereford areas are full of them--attend their zoned schools instead of opting for pricey private schools that allowed them to showcase their talents?
Towson AD Nash, a former professional baseball player, has a deep respect for the school's tradition and is committed to upholding it. This looks like a good hire.
viper

Post by viper »

molo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:11 pm It will be interesting to see Brocato's impact at Towson. With the increasing role of clubs on the recruiting scene, will more blue chippers--the Towson, Dulaney, and Hereford areas are full of them--attend their zoned schools instead of opting for pricey private schools that allowed them to showcase their talents?
Towson AD Nash, a former professional baseball player, has a deep respect for the school's tradition and is committed to upholding it. This looks like a good hire.
That's possible I guess, however I do believe that the increasing role of clubs can also have the adverse effect. Especially now that clubs are grabbing kids in 3rd grade and many of those clubs are essentially feeders into some of the private schools. I know of a few anecdotal cases of kids/parents with no intention of private schools ending up in the MIAA through their club participation.
molo

Post by molo »

Good point. Back in the days of rec teams, Baltimore County did not require that players play for their "home" rec council, and at least one program was sort of a feeder for a school that at one time was a power in the MIAA.
As a former hs coach, I'm not much of a fan of the club scene, but I was hoping for a positive unintended consequence.
harcooldie

Post by harcooldie »

I agree with molo. I think the club scene will be a detriment to the sport over the next few years. In the last 10 years, we have seen an explosion of clubs. Club lax has become watered down. Don't get me wrong, there is a place in lacrosse for the club scene. It is great for your more experienced, higher level players. However, with the decline of rec programs, particularly in the Baltimore area, where is a kid supposed to go to learn the sport. Where is a middle school aged kid supposed to go to "try it out" to see if he likes it? Right now there are very few rec options. I can only wonder how many players the sport is missing out on due to the absence of rec.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Way too often clubs have multiple teams and are luring the lesser-experienced rec coaches to bring their whole team (or son and best players) over to a club, to bolster their enrollment numbers and keep the lights on.

The ego stroke usually works.

The naive rec coaches leave and end up blowing a hole in the rec programs. I’ve seen MD Wolfpack, Koopers and Breakers and others do it to a number of local rec programs in Baltimore and Harford Counties the past 5 years.

Parents are lured with visions of grandeur and pay 1500-2500 for the same rec- level coaching and bad HoCo B lacrosse. Plus longer commutes to Howard County.

But lil Johnny does get the newest fluorescent helmet with a sweet wrap and decals!

Those parents shoulda stayed Rec. They would have gotten the same coaching, played better competition in MYLA, with more games closer to home.

But I guess people are free to do what they want with their money.
viper

Post by viper »

It's unfortunate, but IMHO we are seeing club lacrosse becoming more of a "corporate entity" to fill the coffers of a few high profile individuals in many circumstances. More and more are becoming "national" or at least "multi-state" where the quality of the product varies greatly from team to team. The unfortunately outcome here is that it really is about the adults and not about the kids. In the most cynical of views, kids are developed only when they are playing at a level where they benefit the club as a business and if those that are not "quite there" are lured into opportunities for cash with often little payoff for the kids.

My oldest son (now 22) played rec until high school and then played club and HS lacrosse. My second oldest (currently a DIII freshman) played rec until middle school when he was recruited by a club. My youngest (a 3rd grader) has just finished his TWO years of rec and is playing club this year because rec is no longer a viable option.

Realistically I see little to no difference between the level of coaching my 3rd grader is getting in club versus my oldest when he was on a travel rec (MYLA) team in 3rd grade 15 years ago. The level of play MAY be slightly higher, but realistically at this age I am more concerned about him having fun and learning and improving more than I am concerned about where he is going in 15 years.

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:10 pm Way too often clubs have multiple teams and are luring the lesser-experienced rec coaches to bring their whole team (or son and best players) over to a club, to bolster their enrollment numbers and keep the lights on.

The ego stroke usually works.

The naive rec coaches leave and end up blowing a hole in the rec programs. I’ve seen MD Wolfpack, Koopers and Breakers and others do it to a number of local rec programs in Baltimore and Harford Counties the past 5 years.

Parents are lured with visions of grandeur and pay 1500-2500 for the same rec- level coaching and bad HoCo B lacrosse. Plus longer commutes to Howard County.

But lil Johnny does get the newest fluorescent helmet with a sweet wrap and decals!

Those parents shoulda stayed Rec. They would have gotten the same coaching, played better competition in MYLA, with more games closer to home.

But I guess people are free to do what they want with their money.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”