Connecticut 2020

HS Boys Lacrosse
pcowlax

Connecticut 2020

Post by pcowlax »

Well, as Jimmy B sang, that was the night we painted the sky. Fantastic fireworks on a perfect night in Madison to kick off the holiday weekend, lighting up the shoreline and across the Sound, hope they enjoyed it in Mattituck. Happy 4th to all. Nice work from all the CONNY and NE players in UA, if they hadn’t split them they would be right there for the title every year. On to next year, when Darien brings out the next wave of cloned Mathiases, Minicuses and Evanchucks and class M eyes vengeance on New Fairfield.
ToastDunk

Re: Connecticut 2020

Post by ToastDunk »

Any word coming out of Ludlowe on who will be taking the reins as the next boys head coach?
Bonkboo

Post by Bonkboo »

Steve Swett is the new coach at Ludlowe.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

In an attempt to fight off the offseason lull and boredom at work.

What do people think of John Marinelli's leaving Greenwich HS and how that will affect the lacrosse program?

I know at most schools the football program would not heavily influence the lacrosse program, but I believe Greenwich HS is in a unique position when you take into account how many kids from Greenwich decide to attend private schools. Now Obviously, athletics are not the only reason to attend a private school and academics are usually the largest factor but to say that athletics don't factor in at all is dishonest. For a school who's lacrosse program is going through an uncharacteristically down period a fantastic football program that looked like it was poised for a run of dominance could have been a special perk to retain some very athletic kids who would otherwise attend Private HS's. It's obviously not a coincidence that a lot more football players at Greenwich HS began to commit to D-1 & Ivy league programs shortly after Marinelli's arrival. While many private school lacrosse programs would still remain more attractive than Greenwich HS, Marinelli's football program looked competitive enough to convince some kids whos main athletic focus was football to stay at Greenwich HS and if those kids also played lacrosse that would provide an enormous boost to the lacrosse program.

All of this mixed in with Brunswicks unusually quick rise into a national power does not bode well for Greenwich HS lacrosse.

I should also mention that I don't expect Greenwich football to immediately fall off a cliff, but I do believe that it will have a slow decline in quality and eventually fall behind New Canaan and Darien again and no longer be something that could convince athletes to want to stay at Greenwich HS. I think anyone that paid attention to John Marinelli's coaching career knew he was too good to remain coaching HS football for long. The numbers his offenses at NCHS put up were almost comical and he quickly turned Greenwich into an elite program once again.

Discussing private vs public HS's always tends to rile people up so... https://giphy.com/gifs/coffee-talk-verk ... CQzY1RXHqM
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

This reads like someone who is not from Greenwich. Clearly an outsider perspective.

You need to understand Greenwich is both massive and far more diverse than every other Fairfield County community. And no. That’s not a joke. Greenwich has welfare single moms and multi billionaires, although the old guard Patrician set and many of the high flyers have all seemed to skip town in the last 5 years for Florida.

Greenwich High will be resurgent in lacrosse because CT is circling the drain economically. A lot of the players the private’s have built upon might not be there in the future ready to spend 50k/year/kid in fees when their home is worth 60% of purchase price 15 years ago. Many of the preps are now recruiting Westchester incredibly hard as well. There’s a good chance times will get harder in CT benefiting the public schools, but it will be a Pyrrhic victory as Connecticut becomes the new Upstate NY.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:31 pm This reads like someone who is not from Greenwich. Clearly an outsider perspective.

You need to understand Greenwich is both massive and far more diverse than every other Fairfield County community. And no. That’s not a joke. Greenwich has welfare single moms and multi billionaires, although the old guard Patrician set and many of the high flyers have all seemed to skip town in the last 5 years for Florida.

Greenwich High will be resurgent in lacrosse because CT is circling the drain economically. A lot of the players the private’s have built upon might not be there in the future ready to spend 50k/year/kid in fees when their home is worth 60% of purchase price 15 years ago. Many of the preps are now recruiting Westchester incredibly hard as well. There’s a good chance times will get harder in CT benefiting the public schools, but it will be a Pyrrhic victory as Connecticut becomes the new Upstate NY.

Dudes are fiendin' of Indian Field Road....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:00 pm
PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:31 pm This reads like someone who is not from Greenwich. Clearly an outsider perspective.

It’s not that dire in Greenwich simply because they’re falling from a lot higher. I do appreciate your footage from Ansonia.

If you’re a property owner I bet the last 7 years of Zillow have been painful. That pain will help out the FCIAC. If you’re already being extorted by the school unions in the form of property tax that marginal strain will push more guys toward the “free” option. Greenwich has actually been hit hard. Everyone in the Back Country has taken massive losses. That should improve Cardinals lax both girls and boys.
Typical Lax Dad

PrimeTime21 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 pm

It’s not that dire in Greenwich simply because they’re falling from a lot higher. I do appreciate your footage from Ansonia.

If you’re a property owner I bet the last 7 years of Zillow have been painful. That pain will help out the FCIAC. If you’re already being extorted by the school unions in the form of property tax that marginal strain will push more guys toward the “free” option. Greenwich has actually been hit hard. Everyone in the Back Country has taken massive losses. That should improve Cardinals lax both girls and boys.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That Ansonia comment almost made me choke on laughter!

PrimeTime should set up an Ansonia chapter. PT - The Valley. :lol: :lol:
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:32 pm
PrimeTime21 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That Ansonia comment almost made me choke on laughter!

PrimeTime should set up an Ansonia chapter. PT - The Valley. :lol: :lol:
The club game is absolutely built on delusional suckers. I imagine the “elite clubs” if such a thing actually exists will be up against it especially in lower Fairfield. It will be time to set up shop in Dallas or Florida more aggressively than they already are. The “91” and “SweetLax” businessmen are all about those “new markets” because the well is about to run dry.

Also many parents are taught by the clubs to be usefully naive about the economics of scholarships and college lax. They sell Ivy’s and 75% ACC packages as the dream to all their customers. But the truth is quite different. As word trickles out you might see a pullback.

The only real money in this game is selling the fantasy to the next generation. After college all the guys work finance cubicle jobs anyway.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Man, Primetime, somebody needs a hug. Valley Lax! We will jack you up! I would sign up to watch a little Ansonia vs Naugatuck lax, you better have your head on a swivel if you play in that game. Only 30 miles from Ansonia to The Next Station to Heaven but a slightly different vibe. Primetime, what is your go to Prepper website?
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:10 pm Man, Primetime, somebody needs a hug. Valley Lax! We will jack you up! I would sign up to watch a little Ansonia vs Naugatuck lax, you better have your head on a swivel if you play in that game. Only 30 miles from Ansonia to The Next Station to Heaven but a slightly different vibe. Primetime, what is your go to Prepper website?
Trademark that slogan!!
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Just had to put something up in here. To bump Connecticut to the top of the list, where it belongs. :D
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

In another effort to fight off the fall & winter lull.

In the past, much controversy has been made about Fairfield Prep's unfair advantage in being able to draw kids from other towns. While this advantage is still very much present, I wonder has Prep's dropoff in the past couple of seasons relative to the top teams in the FCIAC hurt their ability to bring in kids from surrounding towns? This last season was Prep's best team in a while and when you look at their two best players in Reale and Grandolfo I have to wonder if they could have had more team and individual success if they stayed at their home high schools of Staples and Wilton. Both would have given those teams a big boost, particularly Grandolfo on a Wilton team that would have had a much better regular season with a more potent offense.

Again it must be mentioned whenever this topic is brought up that athletics aren't the only reason to attend a private school but for kids who knew likely from early on in their freshman year that they were going to be playing college lacrosse I have to imagine it stings to lose to your hometown highschool every time except for one regular-season matchup that was avenged later in the playoffs.

Prep will still have a deep pool of talent from the town of Fairfield to draw from as well as a plethora of towns north of Fairfield. But comparing how Preps program is viewed now versus what it was at the beginning of the decade, there has been a large dropoff on the state level.

I also think if Ludlowe football continues to develop the way its been going the Prep vs Ludlow football matchup will end up being slanted in Ludlow's favor (gasp!). Despite the hockey state title, most people would agree that Ridgefield was the best hockey team in the state last year. All of this adds up to paint a picture that no longer gives Prep the sexy shine of athletic excellence that could draw many talented ninth-graders to the school. I believe we are in the beginning of this decline and it will continue over the years to come before ending up as a program that mostly lives off of drawing kids for a good academic experience which will still be very valuable but won't lead to as much athletic success that has been had in the recent past.
Typical Lax Dad

fritz44 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:41 pm In another effort to fight off the fall & winter lull.

In the past, much controversy has been made about Fairfield Prep's unfair advantage in being able to draw kids from other towns. While this advantage is still very much present, I wonder has Prep's dropoff in the past couple of seasons relative to the top teams in the FCIAC hurt their ability to bring in kids from surrounding towns? This last season was Prep's best team in a while and when you look at their two best players in Reale and Grandolfo I have to wonder if they could have had more team and individual success if they stayed at their home high schools of Staples and Wilton. Both would have given those teams a big boost, particularly Grandolfo on a Wilton team that would have had a much better regular season with a more potent offense.

Again it must be mentioned whenever this topic is brought up that athletics aren't the only reason to attend a private school but for kids who knew likely from early on in their freshman year that they were going to be playing college lacrosse I have to imagine it stings to lose to your hometown highschool every time except for one regular-season matchup that was avenged later in the playoffs.

Prep will still have a deep pool of talent from the town of Fairfield to draw from as well as a plethora of towns north of Fairfield. But comparing how Preps program is viewed now versus what it was at the beginning of the decade, there has been a large dropoff on the state level.

I also think if Ludlowe football continues to develop the way its been going the Prep vs Ludlow football matchup will end up being slanted in Ludlow's favor (gasp!). Despite the hockey state title, most people would agree that Ridgefield was the best hockey team in the state last year. All of this adds up to paint a picture that no longer gives Prep the sexy shine of athletic excellence that could draw many talented ninth-graders to the school. I believe we are in the beginning of this decline and it will continue over the years to come before ending up as a program that mostly lives off of drawing kids for a good academic experience which will still be very valuable but won't lead to as much athletic success that has been had in the recent past.
Would you happen to know the tuition now versus 10 years ago?
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

I think the tuition question (now vs 10 yrs ago) is a huge and relevant issue, but I also think the emergence of Brunswick as a dominant program has probably impacted Prep in a negative way on the athletics front over the last 10 yrs. Any kid from southeast CT (and Westchester) that wants to play High level sports at a private school program (especially lacrosse) and doesn’t want to leave home for a boarding school is looking at Brunswick. Though I think an emerging thing will be that a lot of talented players that decide to go to Brunswick and then ride the pine for 3-4 yrs (vs playing/impacting on other teams) will maybe start to second guess the decision to go to Brunswick.
Typical Lax Dad

TotoketLax wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm I think the tuition question (now vs 10 yrs ago) is a huge and relevant issue, but I also think the emergence of Brunswick as a dominant program has probably impacted Prep in a negative way on the athletics front over the last 10 yrs. Any kid from southeast CT (and Westchester) that wants to play High level sports at a private school program (especially lacrosse) and doesn’t want to leave home for a boarding school is looking at Brunswick. Though I think an emerging thing will be that a lot of talented players that decide to go to Brunswick and then ride the pine for 3-4 yrs (vs playing/impacting on other teams) will maybe start to second guess the decision to go to Brunswick.
Other than Burkinshaw, I had considered Brunswick as a major magnet for Greenwich and lower Fairfield County kids. FP did not seem to draw many "lacrosse" players from Greenwich, NC or Darien. Westport kids in ones or twos and occasional Wilton kids but many players were from Brookfield, Newtown, Trumbull, and Madison. Those towns play better HS lacrosse than they did 10 years ago. Players don't have to leave to play competitive HS lacrosse and can save for college. Money not an object for a chunk of the Brunswick crowd either personally or because of school support. I thought FP had a good shot last year but an injury to their attackman probably costs them their best chance in years.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 am
TotoketLax wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm I think the tuition question (now vs 10 yrs ago) is a huge and relevant issue, but I also think the emergence of Brunswick as a dominant program has probably impacted Prep in a negative way on the athletics front over the last 10 yrs. Any kid from southeast CT (and Westchester) that wants to play High level sports at a private school program (especially lacrosse) and doesn’t want to leave home for a boarding school is looking at Brunswick. Though I think an emerging thing will be that a lot of talented players that decide to go to Brunswick and then ride the pine for 3-4 yrs (vs playing/impacting on other teams) will maybe start to second guess the decision to go to Brunswick.
Other than Burkinshaw, I had considered Brunswick as a major magnet for Greenwich and lower Fairfield County kids. FP did not seem to draw many "lacrosse" players from Greenwich, NC or Darien. Westport kids in ones or twos and occasional Wilton kids but many players were from Brookfield, Newtown, Trumbull, and Madison. Those towns play better HS lacrosse than they did 10 years ago. Players don't have to leave to play competitive HS lacrosse and can save for college. Money not an object for a chunk of the Brunswick crowd either personally or because of school support. I thought FP had a good shot last year but an injury to their attackman probably costs them their best chance in years.
Which attackman was hurt? Grandolfo and Reale were healthy throughout.
Typical Lax Dad

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:11 am
Reale tore his ACL prior to the last playoff game. Just came back to me. He missed the Wilton game and FP missed his scoring. Wilton struggled to score and one less scorer at FP was to Wilton's advantage. Good defensive team.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 am
Reale tore his ACL prior to the last playoff game. Just came back to me. He missed the Wilton game and FP missed his scoring. Wilton struggled to score and one less scorer at FP was to Wilton's advantage. Good defensive team.
You're right, totally forgot about that.
Typical Lax Dad

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:00 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 am
Other than Burkinshaw, I had considered Brunswick as a major magnet for Greenwich and lower Fairfield County kids. FP did not seem to draw many "lacrosse" players from Greenwich, NC or Darien. Westport kids in ones or twos and occasional Wilton kids but not many players were from Brookfield, Newtown, Trumbull, and Madison. Those towns play better HS lacrosse than they did 10 years ago. Players don't have to leave to play competitive HS lacrosse and can save for college. Money not an object for a chunk of the Brunswick crowd either personally or because of school support. I thought FP had a good shot last year but an injury to their attackman probably costs them their best chance in years.
You're right, totally forgot about that.
So did I. It just came back to me. It was one of the few HS games I saw last year.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”