Connecticut 2020

HS Boys Lacrosse
fritz44

Re: Connecticut 2020

Post by fritz44 »

Definitely an unfortunate situation. I did read somewhere on twitter that spring sports should be okay since sports events that are held outdoors haven't been cancelled yet. But that was just a one off tweet so that could be wrong.

Also looks like the first CT resident to be confirmed with the virus is from Wilton and is in Danbury hospital: https://dailyvoice.com/connecticut/shel ... ty/784590/

Judging by the growth in New Rochelle and the wider area anything could happen with the spring season at this point.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm CIAC has cancelled all winter sport tournaments. Definitely worried about lax season.
Supposedly the winter tournament cancellation decision from CIAC was driven by a combination of the venues (Mohegan, etc) pulling out due to not being able to meet the "requirements of the schools" (not quite sure what that means), and a specific directive from Governor Lamont.

Crazyiness has ensued with protests at CIAC offices and death threats to CIAC commissioners (seriously).

Result is really unfortunate, and not quite sure why playing without spectators wasn't considered as an option. A lot of blood sweat and tears put into these sports by the student athletes, and while i'm sure the decision was not made lightly, the abruptness and finality of the decision is certainly difficult for teenagers to get their heads around.

The good news is that I am also hearing that as of right now, suspension/cancellation of spring seasons are NOT being contemplated by CIAC.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DuckLax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 am
pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm CIAC has cancelled all winter sport tournaments. Definitely worried about lax season.
Supposedly the winter tournament cancellation decision from CIAC was driven by a combination of the venues (Mohegan, etc) pulling out due to not being able to meet the "requirements of the schools" (not quite sure what that means), and a specific directive from Governor Lamont.

Crazyiness has ensued with protests at CIAC offices and death threats to CIAC commissioners (seriously).

Result is really unfortunate, and not quite sure why playing without spectators wasn't considered as an option. A lot of blood sweat and tears put into these sports by the student athletes, and while i'm sure the decision was not made lightly, the abruptness and finality of the decision is certainly difficult for teenagers to get their heads around.

The good news is that I am also hearing that as of right now, suspension/cancellation of spring seasons are NOT being contemplated by CIAC.
I'd be careful about your last line. You weren't hearing anything about winter tournaments until they announced it was all cancelled.
If I am involved in a spring sport, I'd be keeping my ears to the rails and expect that the worst is certainly possible.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Most definitely yes. I would be shocked if they weren't already having discussions about cancelling the spring seasons. That certainly is not to say that that will actually happen but it is definitely under discussion. It is at least even money that the colleges cancel their seasons, NESCAC already has, I do not see how Harvard and Yale (and many others), which have ordered all of their students off campus) are going to be able to continue to play. We will see but I would watch lax while we can at this point.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Kismet wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am
I'd be careful about your last line. You weren't hearing anything about winter tournaments until they announced it was all cancelled.
If I am involved in a spring sport, I'd be keeping my ears to the rails and expect that the worst is certainly possible.
Note I said "as of now" they weren't contemplating spring cancellation....which i think is true (or at least they aren't PLANNING to cancel right now)

But i agree, i wouldn't be at all surprised if at minimum the CIAC games scheduled for the first few weeks of the spring season end up being postponed until we see how all this shakes out.

And I'm not optimistic that Darien's first-weekend jambo will be held.....NOT based on any intel from within the halls of the blue wave, but just on a gut feeling based on everything right now...but i hope i'm wrong, and virus be damned, I will likely be at the oval watching from the sidelines if it is held.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Madison schools (along with all of SE CT) closing as of Monday, much of Fairfield County already down. There are not going to be any spring high school sports in CT this year, damn shame.
Bonkboo

Post by Bonkboo »

Not sure if this will hold, but CIAC voted to cancel POST season. Still trying to determine if any season can/will happen.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Bonkboo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 pm Not sure if this will hold, but CIAC voted to cancel POST season. Still trying to determine if any season can/will happen.
Is this post a joke?
Bonkboo

Post by Bonkboo »

Not a joke. I would guess highly unlikely would be optimistic, but officially the season isn’t cancelled (yet) from what I understand.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

CIAC cancelled the 2020 Spring Season and tournaments Monday. They were the last state to decide to cancel.
Governor announced yesterday that schools will not re-open for this academic year.
random observer

Post by random observer »

A shame to see the 2020 season cancelled given how strong the senior classes were at the high school and college level (arguably two of the most talented classes ever), but let's hope that stringent action taken now will mean that we can have an unimpeded 2021 season, which should be a particularly strong year for the nutmeg state; the 2021 and 2022 classes are relatively strong for both publics and privates in CT relative to the National landscape. A brief rundown of some of the big programs since I'm bored (apologies for not the FCIAC focus -- I'm not as much in the know for other conferences in the state):

Darien: Would have had a very strong team this year, and loses some quality players, but the 2021 team could be in the tier with top teams the program produced. They will be back to having an elite attack unit led by the youngest Matheis (Georgetown) & Minicus, who are top 50 overall recruits in the 2021 and 2022 classes respectively. Midfield will take a slight step back losing Peters & Ruppenstein, but their is plenty of depth starting w/Jamison Moore (Colgate). They also have a strong group of sophomore middies led by the next Pokorny. At pole, there is good depth in the junior class starting with LSM Sam Erickson (Army), and some really high end talent in the sophomore class led by Evanchick's younger brother. And of course, Demopoulos is a big plus in goal. Face offs as always are a question mark, but other than that this team should have no holes and plenty of depth.

New Canaan: Another team with a really strong 2021 class that offers plenty of hope for optimism; the question for me is can they find the alpha at attack that they've been really missing since Kraus and Meichner graduated. I've noticed that they have a bunch of really good finishers and skill guys, but not many true x-factor initiators from behind in recent years -- 2021s Callum Wood, Harry Appelt, & Nick Stiles, as well as 2022 Carter Connors, are all very good finishers, but can one of them develop into the guy that can take a #1 pole (also a shoutout to the NC youth program for producing Liam Griffiths (Harvard, after a PG year at Deerfield) and Jeffrey Ricciardelli (Penn/Taft), who will be arguably the two best finishers in NEW-1 next season). Midfield should be a real strength led by Chris Canet (Penn), Ryan Caione (Bucknell), & Will Cosco, with some 2022 depth developing in the wings. Weitfeldt will be gone at the X, but Hayden Shin looks to be a good prospect going forward. There are a few poles who have been on strong UA underclass and Eclipse teams in the summer, so there is definitely talent on the defensive end, but goalie is a question mark (again, the youth program produced a phenomenal 2022 goalie in Thomas Ricciardelli, but he is at Taft).

Ridgefield: With the Tigers it's all about the 2022s, which could be the best Ridgefield class ever (maybe even better than the Matt White class). They have high end talent at every position with Colsey (91 points as a freshman), Winkler, & Lauretani at attack, Degrasse at middle, and Prohazska (all-FCIAC as a freshman) and Liesegang on defense. I know they have a couple of offensive players in the 2021 class, and a pole committed to Michigan, so there are some pieces to fill out the roster to be one of the main threats in 2021, but certainly 2022 is the year they are really excited for.

Wilton: 2020 was likely going to be a little bit of a rebuild for the Warriors after losing some major talent in the 2019 class, but there seems to be some good offensive depth in the younger grades and high end talent on defense. But will any of the 2021s elevate themselves to the level of a guy like Dinanno in the 2019 class, or Reilly Sullivan in the 2020 class who was a beast during their second half resurgence last year? The 2022 class looks promising with another Calabrese at attack, a terrific pole in Jake Sommer, and another great goalie to pick up where Andrew Calabrese left off in Colin Lenskold.

Staples: This is a program really on the rise with Koshansky in charge. They seem to churn out athletic poles year after year, and 2021 D/LSM Kevin Lynch might have the most potential of any of them. Like Ridgefield, they played a number of freshmen on offense last year, led by Charlie Howard, who like Minicus and Colsey is an elite national recruit at the attack position.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Kind of interesting legal issue. CT HS lacrosse. https://blogs.lawyers.com/attorney/pers ... ury-63266/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Anyone know the wider context of this tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duOhEBvQ_kw&t=29s - Wilton vs. Darien game.

Looks like a small scrimmage type tournament at Greens Farms Academy. There is another game between Weston and FP on Darien's youtube channel. The description mentioned it being a 6 team tournament but I can't find anything online about the other results or who the other 2 remaining teams could have been. Looks like a lot of underclassmen were involved and seems to give a good preview into the next couple years. Nice little tournament for the seniors, obviously nothing like a real season but a good last hurrah.
Bonkboo

Post by Bonkboo »

It is a short form “league,” organized, I believe, by John Mathews of GFA/CT Wolves. Think they are 4 team round robins. Watched those, and thought Seniors and rising Freshman weren’t a part of this. But there was also a CT Cup that did include Seniors, etc.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

Seniors and freshman played in these games.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

From what I saw of the videos on Darien's youtube channel both Wilton and Fairfield Prep had some good representation of freshman and Prep even had some rising freshman playing for them.

Wilton had 2 freshman twin brothers, Caleb and Charlie Rath that played outstanding vs Darien. They were likely Wiltons two best players in that game and played the two man game off of pick & rolls nearly perfectly. Fairfield Prep also had some good performances from Freshman. I believe the same kid who started at QB as a freshman for Prep this past fall was playing. I can't recall his name but they had one freshman midfielder who stuck out for how athletic he was relative to his age.
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

Gov Lamont just literally banned K-12 boys lacrosse from being played. No playing at all through end of 2020. Teams from CT also banned from traveling to play in other states. This applies to all sports categorized as “high risk”.

So idiotic on many fronts.

First, don’t understand why outdoors lacrosse is “high risk”, but indoors basketball and hockey are not.

Second, many lax tournaments have been played in CT since July and no examples of problems emerging.

Sad that kids are banned from playing lacrosse outdoors, yet it is fine and needed for INDOOR restaurants to be open and packed with adults shoveling veal parmesan in their mouths with NO masks and breathing all over each other.

This is generational theft and the country’s future, young kids, are getting shafted. Contact Lamont’s office if you agree.

https://www.gametimect.com/ciac-to-post ... 1604369451
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

TotoketLax wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:11 am Gov Lamont just literally banned K-12 boys lacrosse from being played. No playing at all through end of 2020. Teams from CT also banned from traveling to play in other states. This applies to all sports categorized as “high risk”.

So idiotic on many fronts.

First, don’t understand why outdoors lacrosse is “high risk”, but indoors basketball and hockey are not.

Second, many lax tournaments have been played in CT since July and no examples of problems emerging.

Sad that kids are banned from playing lacrosse outdoors, yet it is fine and needed for INDOOR restaurants to be open and packed with adults shoveling veal parmesan in their mouths with NO masks and breathing all over each other.

This is generational theft and the country’s future, young kids, are getting shafted. Contact Lamont’s office if you agree.

https://www.gametimect.com/ciac-to-post ... 1604369451
Could not agree more. It is generational theft. These restrictions, including on playing sports, are causing major trauma in younger people in the way of increased addiction, depression and suicide issues. All in an effort to keep them safe from a virus that, for that age group, is a cold.

It is an incredibly frustrating situation because: 1) The restrictions make no sense at all. Volleyball was okay this fall, but football was not. You can have 10 people at you house, but not 11. You can't drive around the state between 10PM-5AM, but you can drive all day every day to work, Target, a restaurant, to pump gas. 2) We have no control over what happens in our world, our governors and white coats advising them have taken control of our world, they change their minds and the rules whenever they please, they are caving in our economy irreversibly, ruining entire industries with a wave of the hand, and there is no way for THE PEOPLE to change any of it.

In fact, I would argue that the way Connecticut voted in the election has further emboldened our state leaders to stay the course and continue to lock us down. The people of Connecticut approve of the way they are being governed. They like it!
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

surprised by the crickets 🦗 to this post (other than JBF). I guess there are not many CT posters here, but man this is a big thing. Also, it speaks VOLUMES about how CT/Lamont will deal with lacrosse for the actual Spring HS season. Based on his decisions here, I sadly predict CT HS lacrosse will be shafted come Spring 2021 and not happen.

If everybody is silent, it will be just that. As with everything in life, only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Everyone needs to start communicating to CT/Lamont in short order about Spring 2021 or you will just receive an unexpected announcement that disappoints you.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

It will end up being the same in Mass.

Im learning that very few people will speak up (or fight) against these draconian measures even if they disagree with the mandates.

My neighbors kid is in 3rd grade. She goes to school on zoom, she doesn’t play with friends, youth soccer is canceled, she is scared to go the grocery store with her mother..... this insanity is happening to millions of kids and it is criminal.

But the government knows best so we obey.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”