~~The MIAA “A” 2021~~

HS Boys Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: ~The MIAA “A” 2020~

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

how many of the MIAA High Schools have in-person classes this fall?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I know BL, Loyola and MSJ are partial in person. Not sure about the rest.
viper

Post by viper »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 pm I know BL, Loyola and MSJ are partial in person. Not sure about the rest.
Calvert Hall is hybrid as well. I am not exactly sure of the format, but it's something like 1/2 the school two days a week, the other 1/2 another two days with a "cleaning day" in between. When not in person, classes are remote.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NDP is going back in person starting next week. 4 days then 5 days alternating.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Here is an article that tracks what each school is doing re: sports.
It will be updated as information changes.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/h ... yB64NLQ-lI
Slim

Post by Slim »

St. Paul's upper school is in 2 day per week, and have been holding sports practices on a daily basis for several weeks. Not sure what they will be scheduling this fall.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No sports for Mcd. Not sitting well with a lot of parents I know.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 pm No sports for Mcd. Not sitting well with a lot of parents I know.
No sports period, or just no interscholastic sports pending MIAA?

Gilman is doing two days of intramural, but doesn't look like there will be interscholastic sports this fall, and presumably this winter.

Not sure if they're doing any practices as interscholastic teams, I'd think not at this point, but could be doing some limited stuff.

They've been slowly 'opening' various aspects of school life, but carefully, one step at a time, no commitments to hard schedules.

I'd think that McD would be quite similar.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No, the miaa took themselves out of it. Didn’t want to take a position at all.
They won’t sponsor any conference sports- Said schools are free to schedule their own fall games independently. Many are. McD announced it will do no sports this fall and winter.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Not good. McD parents are being patted on the head, being told the admin knows what's best. Ignoring that all these club soccer and lax teams have been competing with no instances for months now.
I know first hand of a top pre-academy girls soccer team that was mostly considering McD. This certainly changes their short list. Bad for MCD. Very good for NDP, Mercy and JC now.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Just to offer a counter-argument. I don't think you can really make a one to one comparison between Club Soccer and Club Lacrosse Programs and a comprehensive K-12 School like McDonogh. The Heads of these schools have many more items and factors to take into account as well a much broader mission. Additionally, how many students, teachers or staff have had or currently have Covid is confidential. That information is often known by a select few in each school but not to most, so they may be making decisions based on that information.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I tend to agree with your counterargument, Andersen.

As much as I'd like to see kids be able to go to school in person and to play interscholastic sports as well in 2019 and 2020, it's far more complicated than running some club ball practices and competitions.

Fingers crossed that the Catholic schools won't find out they've become hot zones for spread of the virus, lethally, to families, faculty, and staff. It's a heck of a gamble, but hopefully they'll come out great on the other end.

But I have zero issue with a school deciding that it doesn't make sense for them and their constituents.

Not for nothing, I suspect McD will be just fine over the next decade in sports, "irregardless" (as we say in Bawlmer) what decisions they make to protect families now.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The same thing that has made McD good in sports the past couple decades (boarding) is also the thing that influenced this decision not to have sports.
That said, I drove past the local MIAA Hs a couple times yesterday (John Carroll) and saw both the Football and lacrosse team holding socially distanced practices. Nice to see the high schools following the lead of youth/club sports.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Good news on the soccer front for catholic schools.
Catholic league and championship Planned:

https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/six-mi ... p-in-2020/
Archbishop Curley, Archbishop Spalding, Calvert Hall, John Carroll, Loyola Blakefield and Mount St. Joseph, all Catholic institutions, will play a 10-game regular season schedule amongst each other, with games beginning on Oct. 31st. Each team will play each other team twice, in a home-and-home format. The regular season will conclude by Dec. 9th, followed by the top four teams advancing to the semifinals and a championship game. All post-season games will be played on the home fields of the higher seeds, including the championship.

“We were not interested in playing a few ‘friendlies,’” said Curley coach Barry Stitz, who along with Curley athletic director Matt Hatton initiated the discussions among the schools. “The kids are playing club ball at a championship level right now and we didn’t want to just put our uniforms on and play meaningless games.”

Not included in the planned league are MIAA A soccer members McDonogh, the most dominant program in the conference’s history, and Gilman, a perennial playoff contender, as well as Boys’ Latin and St. Paul’s. McDonogh has announced that its fall teams will not participate in the fall open season, while Boys’ Latin and Gilman have yet to make their plans known.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

More on the Catholic league soccer:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... gnOIihANCE

Officially back to fall sports for many catholic schools this week. Congrats and enjoy, kids!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NHSLS results-

Team Blue/Gray (Gilman?) beats CH 9-7
CH and McD Tie 9-9
CH beats BL 9-6
McD beats BL 9-5
Gilman beats McD 15-5
Gilman beats BL 11-5

Severn goes 0-3
MSJ (Bmore west?) goes 1-2 with a win over Dragons (Glenelg Country.)

Appears Loyola varsity (but not jv) teams pulled from the event.
laxtalker

Post by laxtalker »

Team Blue/Gray I think was Georgetown Prep out of DC.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Well that makes a lot more sense than Gilman.
molo

Post by molo »

According to the alumni publication, St. Paul’s has promoted lax coach Whitty to AD. It says he will remain the head lax coach through 2021. Does anyone know if it is now customary for private schools to require ADs not to coach? Wayback when I was in hs, the AD was always a coach, usually fb, and that was the case when I began coaching in Baltimore County Public Schools. In the early aughts, the county decided that ADs could no longer coach. Are the private schools moving in that direction?
It looked as if all the listed St. Paul’s coaches were teachers at the school. That was not the case when I was in school, nor more recently. Public schools allow “emergency” coaches, who are not teachers, but teachers are preferred. I can make arguments for either side, but is the trend in the privates to have more teachers as coaches, or did I just notice s coincidence at one school?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

molo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:13 pm According to the alumni publication, St. Paul’s has promoted lax coach Whitty to AD. It says he will remain the head lax coach through 2021. Does anyone know if it is now customary for private schools to require ADs not to coach? Wayback when I was in hs, the AD was always a coach, usually fb, and that was the case when I began coaching in Baltimore County Public Schools. In the early aughts, the county decided that ADs could no longer coach. Are the private schools moving in that direction?
It looked as if all the listed St. Paul’s coaches were teachers at the school. That was not the case when I was in school, nor more recently. Public schools allow “emergency” coaches, who are not teachers, but teachers are preferred. I can make arguments for either side, but is the trend in the privates to have more teachers as coaches, or did I just notice s coincidence at one school?
Probably good for all parties- Whitty, the lax program, and the school in the long haul.
It would be good for St Pauls' to have a real strong lax advocate like Whitty in the AD role for the long haul.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”