~~The MIAA “A” 2021~~

HS Boys Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: ~The MIAA “A” 2020~

Post by Peter Brown »

Sting The Corner wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:34 am Deerfield had a few PGs out there, but no one really stood out as a superstar. One out of Cali setup some nice goals in the Championship. They looked to be strong players.

I'm very happy for the Big Green. Hoping this result will encourage Skip to make a decent OOC schedule next year for his squad. Sounds like they brought everyone to the event...which should show Skip that his kids want to play outside of NEWest 1.

I'd love to see DA come through the mid-Atlantic next spring, and get a Culver or Hill on the calendar as well. Brunswick gets it done, and though it's not a completely fair comparison, DA should drop Navy Prep and the Phillips and give it a go.

Great event for high school lacrosse. Really fun and action packed.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Tyler Reid is the new coach at MSJ. Can he lead them to their first playoff appearance in many, many years?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

5 CH players on U-19 roster, very impressive!!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Congrats to Coach Reid. He was a solid, tough player for Stevenson just a few years ago. Good luck to him and the Gaels moving forward.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Slim

Post by Slim »

Saw a bunch of games at the NHSLS Summer tournament. Coaches Shriver and Higartner do a great job. They also have former SP coach, Brocato, on the staff. It's a very well done tournament.

Based on what I saw, Spalding is going to make some waves in 2020. I predict a playoff season for Coach Phipps and his troops. Calvert Hall, McDonogh, St. Paul's, Loyola, Gilman, Boys' Latin all look to be playoff teams. John Carroll, not so much. St. Mary's, Mt. St. Joe, and Severn did not attend. Why?

The way I see it, 8 teams fighting for 6 playoff spots in 2020. Calvert Hall is and should be the early favorite. But, keep your eyes on Spalding this spring.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Slim wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:54 pm Saw a bunch of games at the NHSLS Summer tournament. Coaches Shriver and Higartner do a great job. They also have former SP coach, Brocato, on the staff. It's a very well done tournament.

Based on what I saw, Spalding is going to make some waves in 2020. I predict a playoff season for Coach Phipps and his troops. Calvert Hall, McDonogh, St. Paul's, Loyola, Gilman, Boys' Latin all look to be playoff teams. John Carroll, not so much. St. Mary's, Mt. St. Joe, and Severn did not attend. Why?

The way I see it, 8 teams fighting for 6 playoff spots in 2020. Calvert Hall is and should be the early favorite. But, keep your eyes on Spalding this spring.
Spalding look good in finals against a team from TX that was one dimensional. Saw them the previous day where they struggle against teams that move the ball.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The second session of the NHSLS was (and has historically been) considerably weaker than the first, overall.

So take it all with a grain of salt.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

CH, BL, McD, Gil, SM & LB all return a significant number of quality players. The only thing the season is going to do is to determine playoff seeding.

Spalding has been tooting their horn for years that they are going to be great next year. Never pans out and I can’t imagine this year will be any different.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Certainly massive news on the MIAA front; a legend passes away. Reddy Finney of Gilman. (these familiar names passing away...I'm getting old). What an obit. RIP, though I never met you I heard nothing but great things.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/obituaries ... story.html
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 pm Certainly massive news on the MIAA front; a legend passes away. Reddy Finney of Gilman. (these familiar names passing away...I'm getting old). What an obit. RIP, though I never met you I heard nothing but great things.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/obituaries ... story.html
Indeed a giant. An inspiration, a mentor, a friend to so many.

Though my dad was a diehard McDonogh alum and BD member, he allowed me to go Gilman with 22 others from my Calvert School class of 24...because of his admiration for Reddy and what he was doing in every aspect of the educational process. He would not have allowed me to go the Gilman prior to the Finney era as he saw it overly blue-blood, etc. Given his own social pedigree, and personal accomplishments, Reddy was perhaps uniquely positioned to lead, even drag, the old Gilman into a more diverse, forward leaning school educating many of the brightest from the region regardless of socio-economic, racial or religious background.

He embodied integrity and character, exemplifying what it meant to be a 'man' in the best sense of sacrificing for others, 'doing the little things', whether bending over to pick up a piece of trash as he walked the campus, reaching out to the family in need.

He was my 9th grade Religion teacher, to which I in large part attribute to my own passion for interfaith dialogue with the ICJS, The Institute for Christian and Jewish Studies, now the Institute for Islamic, Christian & Jewish Studies. www.ices.org of which Reddy was an early proponent/founder.

On his own sports accomplishments, the obit says he was the captain of the wrestling team (and AA in both football and lacrosse) it doesn't mention that he would have also been an AA in wresting as a heavyweight had he not been behind the undefeated NCAA champion each of those years. They apparently had epic battles in practice, 2-1 affairs, with Reddy being his toughest competition!

By my era, Reddy was no longer coaching directly, but he was certainly an ever present force on many a sideline. He was an intensely competitive man and you felt his presence at nearly every contest. While his (and Gilman's) chief passions of that era were football, wrestling, and lacrosse, which were my sports as well, my buddies on the soccer, basketball, baseball, tennis, X-country, track teams felt his support as well.

If you ever had the experience of sitting in the stands with him as an alum or as a parent, which I did frequently over the years, you knew to stay just out of reach of his massive hands as he would grab the person next to him in his passion for what was happening on the field or mat or court, oblivious to the force of his grip.

Terrific man, he will be greatly missed.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am I'd love to see DA come through the mid-Atlantic next spring, and get a Culver or Hill on the calendar as well. Brunswick gets it done, and though it's not a completely fair comparison, DA should drop Navy Prep and the Phillips and give it a go.
PB, Frank Boyden would roll over in his grave if Deerfield failed to play Andover and Exeter. Given Deerfield's history, I can't see that happening in current lifetimes. Also, Chip not Skip.
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

SkipPass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:51 am CH, BL, McD, Gil, SM & LB all return a significant number of quality players. The only thing the season is going to do is to determine playoff seeding.

Spalding has been tooting their horn for years that they are going to be great next year. Never pans out and I can’t imagine this year will be any different.
Hall will again own the middle of the field next year. Attack best in MIAA as well. Goalie & FOGO strengths. Question will be close D. They will still come in waves and 10man ride most inferior teams out of the stadium.

BL will be better of course with Grimes back. Middle of field still a question mark.
McDonogh talented. Bonitz really good. Are they mentally tough enough? I see them as main challenger to Hall
Gilman will be improved simple because they will be coached. Close D stellar. Can they score enough?
St. Pauls athletic and 3rd year with coaching staff. Expect them to challenge as well. Depth an issue
Loyola things looking up. Gene a good coach, kids buying in. Young ones will have to compete against big boys

That's your 6.......
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DALaxDad wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am I'd love to see DA come through the mid-Atlantic next spring, and get a Culver or Hill on the calendar as well. Brunswick gets it done, and though it's not a completely fair comparison, DA should drop Navy Prep and the Phillips and give it a go.
PB, Frank Boyden would roll over in his grave if Deerfield failed to play Andover and Exeter. Given Deerfield's history, I can't see that happening in current lifetimes. Also, Chip not Skip.

At least I didn't call him "Chad". ;)
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Or "Chas". :lol:
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Hammer44 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 pm
Hall will again own the middle of the field next year. Attack best in MIAA as well. Goalie & FOGO strengths. Question will be close D. They will still come in waves and 10man ride most inferior teams out of the stadium.

BL will be better of course with Grimes back. Middle of field still a question mark.
McDonogh talented. Bonitz really good. Are they mentally tough enough? I see them as main challenger to Hall
Gilman will be improved simple because they will be coached. Close D stellar. Can they score enough?
St. Pauls athletic and 3rd year with coaching staff. Expect them to challenge as well. Depth an issue
Loyola things looking up. Gene a good coach, kids buying in. Young ones will have to compete against big boys

That's your 6.......
Sounds like they shouldn't even bother playing any games south of Cold Spring Lane. :roll:
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Don’t want to rekindle the rancor that surrounded this issue earlier but I am watching St. Francis on ESPN just abusing so far the number #15 national team, a perennial powerhouse from Miami. 16-0 in the second. Anyone who thinks that MIAA teams should be playing these guys or who ascribes some nefarious reasons as to why they were dropped other than concerns for safety is crazy and likely has never had a son play high school football. Great respect for MIAA athletics and acknowledging what happened with Gilman but this is even to another level. This is not a high school football team.

Make that 23-0
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

MIAA dropped St Frances because Chad and Brad didn’t want Prop Joe and the East Side to break it off in em. Poggi also showed up every ineffectual administrator giving partial ships a lesson on how to actually get talent.

I’m cool with the preps dropping SFA. But they gotta keep it real and say that the reason the fancy schools dropped them is that SFA would win by 70. It should count as a forfeiture against every MIAA squad.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Prop Joe is now free to break it off against the Chads and Brads around the nation.
Including in New London County, CT.
Wait till they drop 50+ on St Thomas More's "National Program" this year.
:lol:
What was the score last year? 56-0?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Re "Chads" and "Brads", Biff is where he belongs.
I'm cool with that, though the media fawning and the charges of 'racism' continue to rankle.

Re Gilman, I had a great conversation with Gilman's new football coach. Clearly a good guy.
We're likely to see more crossover athletes between lax and football, also wrestling, than in the past decade.

That said, I'm less sanguine about the long term future of football at schools like Gilman.
It's going to be tough to justify the liability.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

It would be nice if colleges felt that way. If some schools axed football, lax could possibly get some more D1 teams.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”