~~The MIAA “A” 2021~~

HS Boys Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: ~The MIAA “A” 2020~

Post by gymman1031 »

Are Petro's sons sophomores at BL? If so, if he becomes a head coach in another area, it likely won't be for another couple of years.
viper

Post by viper »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:32 am Are Petro's sons sophomores at BL? If so, if he becomes a head coach in another area, it likely won't be for another couple of years.
I suspect someone with Petro's background and gravitas need not uproot and pull the kids from BL unless a truly once in a lifetime offer came up. He could bide his time around Baltimore finding income from the broadcast booth or taking on a role with one of the professional leagues. Then when both the time and opportunity are right for him personally and professionally he could make that move.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’d guess Petro catches on quickly at another college or he’s out of the college game for good.
If he takes a PLL or MLL job he will be gone for good a’la Cottle.
viper

Post by viper »

Just curious why you would think that?
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04 pm I’d guess Petro catches on quickly at another college or he’s out of the college game for good.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

viper wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:21 pm Just curious why you would think that?
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04 pm I’d guess Petro catches on quickly at another college or he’s out of the college game for good.
I think it's pretty much been the market for coaches. There aren’t a ton of opportunities out there in relation to the large number of coaches.
Sure he could probably get hired at a low end D1 afterwards. But the highest profile job he will get is probably right now, is taking the job of whoever takes his job at Hopkins. - Towson, Yale, Penn, Georgetown, Albany.
A lot of lacrosse is momentum, hitting the right job at the right time. If he sits a year out, he wont be get another high-end opportunity. Pro lacrosse is really where a lot of guys get put out to pasture or where guys go who cant cut it in the college game any more. It's the "soft landing spot" of lacrosse.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

It’s official season is done.

https://miaasports.net/thats-a-wrap/
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Which MIAA "A" program do you think wins the most titles this decade? Or will programs be tied with two or three?
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:31 am Which MIAA "A" program do you think wins the most titles this decade? Or will programs be tied with two or three?
Unless something changes with the rest of the MIAA teams. Calvert Hall wins 10 in a row. BL might get up there with their new quarters and if McD does better with getting out of state talent might have a chance, Rest, Not happening without changes to program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

St. Paul's coach Trey Whitty will be the school's new AD as well. Throughout MSA/MIAA history, there haven't been many times in which the head lacrosse coach was also the AD. Congrats to Trey!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MIAA playoffs would have started this Friday, I believe.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Pains me to think about the kids this week as it would've been MIAA playoffs. They have worked so hard to get to this point, and I can only imagine how they must feel. Stay strong out there. This is not your legacy. Your body of work is your legacy. Hoping many of the seniors will take it to the next level and get the chance to play again collegiately. Praying the underclassmen get their chance to shine in 2021. No matter, we will all never take it for granted anymore will we. Stay safe and healthy out there!

Who lost the most to graduation in 2020? Who will return the strongest squad? Who are the players to watch? What predictions do you have for 2021 playoffs?

Let's all look forward to better times ahead...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think CH was the favorite, but this season would not have been an exact replica of 2019. I think across the board we were actually poised for a much tighter race across the board. From top to bottom. Spots 2-5 would have been very close. Same with 6-9. We would have seen a number of shuffles among the deck in the final finish. Including some surprises. Since this year was a wash, I think next year will be even crazier in terms of expectations vs results. Expect a much different landscape in 2021 compared to what we saw in 2019.

I think 2020 would have finished in these tiers:

CHC

LB
Gilly
McD
BL

StM
StP
JC
AS

Sev
MSJ
Slim

Post by Slim »

Kramerica, interested to know how you see 2021 playing out. Any insights?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Slim wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:28 am Kramerica, interested to know how you see 2021 playing out. Any insights?
That's the million dollar question. So which 2020 Varsity teams looked young and competitive? We assume CH was loaded, but Gilman was young and talented, BL was young and deep, McD was young, JC had some nice pieces. Spalding had some good players on paper.

And to add some more intrigue, for giggles, look at 2019 JV results.

Top tier was:
BL (champs), Loyola (runner up), CH and St Mary's

Next tier who showed some promise depending on the day:
St Paul's, Gilman, JC, and Spalding

Then you had:
McD, Severn, MSJ who struggled for most of the year.

2021 will be filled with tons of questions. But I think anything's possible and we will see some entertaining changes.
random observer

Post by random observer »

CHC has to be considered amongst the favorites until they give any indications to the contrary, although I suspect that after losing a tremendous 2020 class on the heels of an equally strong 2019 class, they will return a little bit towards the pack. A real shame this senior group didn't get to close out their legacy on the field.

BL and LB have probably the deepest (or at least most experienced) rising senior classes, and should be poised for strong seasons. BL also has Dom Pietramala who is arguably the best prospect in the entire MIAA.

Like CHC, McDonogh looked like they were gearing up for an excellent 2020 season, and are losing a great group of seniors. Having said that they have some strong 2021s and a very special class of rising juniors.

Annapolis seems to have produced an abnormally strong group of prospects in the rising junior class, and that should precipitate success for St. Mary's & Archbishop Spalding. Spalding's 2022s are as strong as any group outside of McDonogh. Don't know if they will have enough in the senior class to challenge for the title next season, but regardless they are going to be as competitive as they've ever been the next few years.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Yeah, I see it similar to RO. CHC is up top until someone knocks them off, but the pack is even much closer in 2021 than it was in 2020. Loyola still looks next strongest on paper despite losing a bunch of really good seniors. McD and BL roll in next and will have enough firepower to make a strong bid. I'm hearing that StM lost a lot to graduation in 2020, but yes, that Spalding could be strong enough to be in the final four mix. However, we've heard that for past few years about Spalding and they haven't even sniffed playoffs. So, I'll believe it when I see it. What about StP and Gilman. The Hounds lost over 20 to graduation and their new coach was optimistic for a breakthrough in 2020. The Crusaders lost key personnel to graduation, and I'm not sure what else they have in the stable. Do Gilman and Stp have enough to make the playoff 6? No intel on Severn, MSJ, on JC.

I guess my playoff list is looking like;
CHC
Loyola
BL
McD
Spalding
??? (StM, StP, Gilman)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Slim wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 am No intel on Severn, MSJ, on JC.
MSJ may have a recruiting bubble from what I hear. Missed a little in the transition between coaches.
Haven't heard much out of Severn. But if the tales of a strong rising JR class in Annapolis is true, they may catch a few.
JC has a nice rising JR class too. Some kids who have seen time on V since freshman year.
molo

Post by molo »

It will be interesting to see how many parents decide that tuition and fees in the 20 and 30k range is high for distance learning is pricey and opt not to pay it, especially when sports are curtailed as well.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Possibly. But Public schools in Baltimore and Harford counties have been struggling with their distance learning. A few friends teach and said it’s a total mess. The online portal they use has been the bane of many teachers lives. Appears the lowest bidder method was used when they chose the software.

Many privates were already using online portals so had the kinks worked out. Additionally, most privates weren’t running at capacity so they may be the ones to open up first or closer to traditional school next fall. Class sizes at 15-20 are easier to manage than the local public’s pushing 30+.
viper

Post by viper »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am Possibly. But Public schools in Baltimore and Harford counties have been struggling with their distance learning. A few friends teach and said it’s a total mess. The online portal they use has been the bane of many teachers lives. Appears the lowest bidder method was used when they chose the software.

Many privates were already using online portals so had the kinks worked out. Additionally, most privates weren’t running at capacity so they may be the ones to open up first or closer to traditional school next fall. Class sizes at 15-20 are easier to manage than the local public’s pushing 30+.
I agree with both of you (Kramerica and molo). I can't speak to how well the Howard County schools were doing with distance learning, but I will say - from my observations - that the private schools (MIAA especially) have a different attitude with respect to academic rigor. My eldest spent time in public before going private and I can tell you that the private schools place higher expectations on the students and are much less forgiving, to the benefit of the students. I would imagine, distance or not, the benefits of that would make a difference (as they have for my kids). Something that I never bought into until I (a NY public school kid) experienced it personally with my own kids.

Additionally, even if the sports (lacrosse in particular) are not happening, the affiliation alone with some of the coaches can be difference makers for those interested in playing beyond high school.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”