VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I thought it makes sense due to the number of contributors to keep 4A,5A, and 6A together for 2020. I like to read about all of the teams. Way too early 2020 ranking:

1. Oakton
2. Robinson
3. Riverside
4. Madison
5. Patriot
6. Champe
7. Briar Woods
8. Battlefield
9. Woodson
10. Freedom SR

The fall season they all play in the same divisions at VEL, FN, and Fall Brawl. Who will be the surprise team of 2020?
66 Corridor

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by 66 Corridor »

Missing a top 5 team in South County. Cannot count out the Stallions.
sadatay

Post by sadatay »

Madison should be number one.

Oakton shouldn't even be in the discussion.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

66 Corridor wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:08 pm Missing a top 5 team in South County. Cannot count out the Stallions.
That is a big miss. SC should be #5 just above Patriot. I have no issue with flipping Madison and Oakton.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Look for Woodson to drop off the face of the planet. Lost like 16 seniors and do not return much at all.
go 'gate

Post by go 'gate »

Please mark your calendars and come on out and watch some great D1 lacrosse. On 10/20 Colgate, Notre Dame and Princeton will be scrimmaging at Centreville High School along with clinics for the younger players and meet and great. Please come out and support this great event..

https://m.evensi.us/american-boy-fall-b ... /332475212
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Any hot takes after the first weekend of VEL fall league games?
66 Corridor

Post by 66 Corridor »

Nothing notable. Madison scored 17 against O’Connell. Not sure about O’Connell but Madison had about 1/3 of their returners suites up and a number of rising varsity players.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Maybe Riverside did not go backwards with graduation? Battlefield may be best non fairfax 6A. Still too early to get too much from fall scores. However, Oakton will not be in the top 5 preseason so far.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

VEL Championship

Riverside 6
PVI 3
sguy

Post by sguy »

Westfield beat Chantilly in their bracket.

Westfield HC couldn’t contain himself and was “coaching” his team calling plays throughout bracket play from the spectator side.

Kind of a D move for a FXco Coach. Guess the off season coaching rule excludes him.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

sguy wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:43 pm Westfield beat Chantilly in their bracket.

Westfield HC couldn’t contain himself and was “coaching” his team calling plays throughout bracket play from the spectator side.

Kind of a D move for a FXco Coach. Guess the off season coaching rule excludes him.
I agree that rules are rules and sometimes a coach just has to sit back, be quiet and watch the game. I bet you that same coach, or in fact every coach, says the same thing to all of the know-it-all dads who coach from the bleachers during the spring. It is also a D move for FFX county to be the only part of the state where coaches cannot be on the sidelines with their players in the offseason. So many rules hamstring FFX Co to put them at a disadvantage. PWC, Loudoun Co, Arlington Co can all coach their players in the offseason at tournaments, leagues, etc. Personally I think it is better for the players and game to have their "actual" coach on the sidelines as it provides more control for the game and doesn't let things get out of hand at times. Sometimes having a nice dad running the ship isn't the best course of action for the safety of the players and the sanctity of the game. I know you say the rules exclude him, then level the playing field for everyone, as the rules ARE excluding him. If I am to assume you are Chantilly affiliated based on the tone in your post, remember about those who live in glass houses.
Lax89

Post by Lax89 »

FYI, Arlington is in line with Fairfax when it comes to out of season coaching. We are not allowed either.
sguy

Post by sguy »

whodatsay wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:51 am
If I am to assume you are Chantilly affiliated based on the tone in your post, remember about those who live in glass houses.
Nice use of the "glass house" analogy, but I said it was done throughout the bracket play.

Honestly, I think Fairfax has it dead on. These are kids, they should not be coached season round by their HS coaches. VHSL had a potential rule curtailing year round coaching, that rule should be implemented consistently across the state.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

For the huge $$ these coaches are pulling in, I think they should all coach year round {sarcastic font} Based on what others have seen from VEL this fall is Riverside the top public school? Is Broad Run legit? Battlefield? Also, as fall brawl approaches are the programs that are entering two teams the ones likely to be in the Varsity Elite, with a higher and lower team? Just curious. Any other VEL insights?
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

sguy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm
whodatsay wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:51 am
If I am to assume you are Chantilly affiliated based on the tone in your post, remember about those who live in glass houses.
Nice use of the "glass house" analogy, but I said it was done throughout the bracket play.

Honestly, I think Fairfax has it dead on. These are kids, they should not be coached season round by their HS coaches. VHSL had a potential rule curtailing year round coaching, that rule should be implemented consistently across the state.
100% agree. Have it one way or the other, but be consistent. Too much can be too much and I think coaches get scared that they will lose that edge where other programs can take advantage of it. I think we are all familiar with the coach you are referencing and maybe it's the volume of the voice and not so much the content ;) The only reason I see a positive with coaching in the offseason is to keep the calmness of the players when things get heated up. Sideline dads do not have that power, coaches do. VHSL is in the process of relooking at the out of season coaching rules due to the low turnout of money making sports. Will adjust the rules to out of season practices accordingly to help combat the "one sport athlete" moniker.
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:11 pm For the huge $$ these coaches are pulling in, I think they should all coach year round {sarcastic font} Based on what others have seen from VEL this fall is Riverside the top public school? Is Broad Run legit? Battlefield? Also, as fall brawl approaches are the programs that are entering two teams the ones likely to be in the Varsity Elite, with a higher and lower team? Just curious. Any other VEL insights?
Yes based on offseason fall results, Riverside should be put at the top. I also think Riverside had all of their studs playing where other teams were obviously lacking key players. Madison, Chantilly, Oakton to name a few of those teams. Robinson and Battlefield also looked polished and Battlefield looks like the 6A team to beat. Both teams were roster heavy as far as their key players were concerned. Battlefield could be the first ever 6A non-Fairfax team to win it all. I also thought Langley took a big step forward being competitive as well as Woodson who has been highly overlooked and played consistently well throughout the league. I really thought Patriot took a huge step back, losing key players to transfer may have caused that. South Lakes looks to be hurting this season as well. Can't remember a time where SL didn't have an AA caliber player on their sidelines. I do not think Broad Run is legit as they played very weak teams and took advantage of it. Scarier thought is looking at Stone Bridge. I think they have finally hit mediocrity in terms of talent, good thing they have a great coach there who knows how to develop kids and athletes into lacrosse players.

i think in whole if you take the results of VEL, Fall Brawl, Turkey Shoot Out, and winter leagues, average out the results of who finished near the top, you should get your top 5. Basing results off of one fall offseason shouldn't do that.

Early picks:

Patriot Conference
Robinson
Woodson
South County
Lake Braddock
West Springfield
Fairfax

Liberty Conference
Yortown
Langley
McLean
South Lakes
Washington-Leeberty
Herndon

Cedar Run Conference
Battlefield
Champe
Patriot
Stonewall Jackson
Osbourn Park
Osbourn

Concorde Conference
Madison
Oakton
Chantilly
Westfield
Centreville

Gunston Conference
West Potomac
TC Williams
Hayfield
Annandale
Mt Vernon

Cardinal Conference
Colgan
Woodbridge
Potomac
Hylton
Forest Park
Freedom
Garfield

National Conference
Marshall
Edison
Justice
Jefferson
Falls Church
Lee
Wakefield

Dulles Conference
Dominion
Loudoun County
Loudoun Valley
Broad Run
Tuscarora
Heritage
Parkview

Potomac Conference
Riverside
Briar Woods
Stone Bridge
Freedom
Woodgrove
Potomac Falls
Rock Ridge
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Riverside was playing without their two time all state fogo and an all region middie (although I suspect he goes back to the attack this year). The thing about RS is they have SO many kids who can play. Missing a few kids just gives others a chance to show themselves. Which a few of the young ones did really well this fall. My guess is now everyone is going to start talking about their defense. Gave up 1 goal to both Oakton and Battlefield and then only 3 to PVI. Very athletic and nasty group.

As far as I could tell PVI was missing one of their fogos, but looked to have the rest of the midfield there.

On a side note, both Riverside and PVI's coaches were on the other sidelines and not coaching.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

Crlaxy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:23 pm Riverside was playing without their two time all state fogo and an all region middie (although I suspect he goes back to the attack this year). The thing about RS is they have SO many kids who can play. Missing a few kids just gives others a chance to show themselves. Which a few of the young ones did really well this fall. My guess is now everyone is going to start talking about their defense. Gave up 1 goal to both Oakton and Battlefield and then only 3 to PVI. Very athletic and nasty group.

As far as I could tell PVI was missing one of their fogos, but looked to have the rest of the midfield there.

On a side note, both Riverside and PVI's coaches were on the other sidelines and not coaching.
Yes, Park was out due to a hamstring issue, which doesn't sound promising from what I heard. Hopefully is doesn't linger into the spring. Not sure who this all-region middie is, but their key offensive guys were definitely there. If their backup fogo is the DCE kid then they were pretty fine without Park. Definitely give credit to their defense as they played soundly as a whole all day. They do have a lot of kids who can play at a high level and have taken full advantage of the Loudoun Co pupil placement rule. Baseball team there sure does the same thing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a ... story.html

PVI had their main guys there, but this will be a much different year in terms of defense for PVI. Could be the best thing that happened to them where it will rechannel their focus and offseason work ethic.

I would be hesitant on saying the Riverside coach was not coaching. He was on the other sideline, but he was definitely talking to his players and offering 2 cents here and there. If we are going to pick on Westfield then we need to call that out too. I personally give Riverside HC credit for not being on the sidelines when I think he is actually allowed to be.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

"have taken full advantage of the Loudoun Co pupil placement rule"

While that was true for the baseball team, I believe most (if not all) of those kids have graduated and RS is now full, not allowing them to have that luxury anymore. And it's not a situation like Stone Bridge Football where kids parents are divorcing (ahem) and dad gets an apartment within the SB footprint. And then miraculously fix the marital problems once they graduate (or more importantly they feel the heat is off).

The lacrosse team is only kids within the RS footprint. All live within Lansdowne, Belmont and the fringe area just around them. Just happens to be two lacrosse crazy neighborhoods.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Wow, the RS Hype Machine is on full blast in this thread. They are very good now, but are still “the new kid” in VA public HS lacrosse. Now that the pupil placement gate is closed, it will be interesting to see how long RS can sustain it. Give me the NOVA traditional powers who have had winning programs for decades as the cream of the crop, VEL fall league Results be damned. It was no fluke that the recent 6A Big Dogs state final participants were Robinson vs Madison.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”