VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxaholic123

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Fierce Nation has opened up winter league registration. Great opportunity for NoVa high school teams to get out and get valuable 10 v 10 experience against other teams. The link is below:

http://atl.website.sportssignup.com/
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

The use of face­offs will be suspended for the 2020­21 season. Game will start with a coin toss to determine which team is
awarded the ball at midfield to begin the game. Alternate possession will be used after coin toss. After each goal, the ball
shall be awarded to the scored upon team at midfield with no player within 5 yards.

v Penalty Enforcement (7­1­1)
n If there is a violation, blow the whistle quick and award ball. Award ball according to alternate possession. Contested loose
balls will result in a quick whistle and awarding the ball according to alternate possession.

v Illegal Body Check (5­3­1 thru 4)
n All body contact/checks will be illegal for the 20­21 season. Only stick checks will be permitted. Violation will be a possession
penalty.

It may be that VEL and Fierce Nation will be a better indicator of who the best teams are this year as they will play real lacrosse v. the VHSL version.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:33 am The use of face­offs will be suspended for the 2020­21 season. Game will start with a coin toss to determine which team is
awarded the ball at midfield to begin the game. Alternate possession will be used after coin toss. After each goal, the ball
shall be awarded to the scored upon team at midfield with no player within 5 yards.

v Penalty Enforcement (7­1­1)
n If there is a violation, blow the whistle quick and award ball. Award ball according to alternate possession. Contested loose
balls will result in a quick whistle and awarding the ball according to alternate possession.

v Illegal Body Check (5­3­1 thru 4)
n All body contact/checks will be illegal for the 20­21 season. Only stick checks will be permitted. Violation will be a possession
penalty.

It may be that VEL and Fierce Nation will be a better indicator of who the best teams are this year as they will play real lacrosse v. the VHSL version.
My understanding (and I very much can be wrong) was that these rules modifications were suggestions, not finalized. HOWEVER, they suck butt and no one in the VA lacrosse community is happy.

I have been told (various coaches, both club and HS) that the VHSL has no lacrosse coaches at the highest levels, and the lacrosse "sub-committee" or whatever it is was not consulted for these proposed changes. A coach thought that perhaps USL was asked for "the safest suggestions possible" and came up with this, however I doubt that. But, these two changes do match some of the earliest "return to play" concepts that USL had, which no one liked.

The couple of referees I've talked to have all said they have NO CLUE how they'd enforce the body check rule. Coaches will obviously tell any dodger to run right at a defender...

Finally (again, all conjecture and I'm no expert) a HS/club coach told me that VEL most likely wouldn't do winter lacrosse but Fierce would. Dunno. I went to the VEL games on Saturday to catch a few of the 1/2 games and it was fun, safely run (IMO), and short of an infected kid coughing all over someone I think a model that works fine for HS. You can readily ban fans, though with playing outside that seems silly but do what is needed to get games.

I don't see how VHSL is ok with football, basketball and *wrestling* all being played as normal but needing to modify lacrosse.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Having been to a few VA high school lacrosse games in the mid-2010s, social distancing wouldn’t be that much of an issue (especially on a rainy April night)
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Word on the street is that some schedules are starting to emerge for the Spring and fingers are crossed that a season will happen. I hope it does. Rather than debate parent viewing policy, impact of covid testing, or any other topic I though how about a old fashion ranking. The teams have not really played in almost a year so this is based on VEL, FN, Fall Brawl, St. James ect...

1. Riverside: Best team in the state hands down
2. Robinson: When all else in unknown, rank them near the top.
3. Yorktown: they may surprise some teams this year.
4. Madison: Based on past performance
5. Battlefield: Best in PWC
6. Woodson:
7: Patriot: will test Battlefield as usual
8: Chantilly: Can goalie play keep them in some games?
9: Oakton: A down year?
10: Lake Braddock: A young and surprising team that could build something?

Feel free to disagree.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Fingers crossed too!!! If they’re playing basketball they’ve got to be able to play lacrosse right? It’s outside.

Sorry - don’t know enough to comment on the rankings other than Go Rams!!
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

More schedules are starting to take shape. I think the Rams and the Rams will be state champs
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Anyone know anything about the teams down South for 2021?
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Anyone see MadLax’s top 20 in the DMV? Pretty interesting!
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

For NoVa public schools they had:
10-Riverside
12- Robo
14- tilly
15- West Po :o
17- Madison

It was posted on their Instagram
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Any word on fans? Seems like restrictions are being lifted. I think I read “outdoor venues” can have up to 30% capacity. Having been to a few Robo lax games 30% should accommodate everyone
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

FXLax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 pm Any word on fans? Seems like restrictions are being lifted. I think I read “outdoor venues” can have up to 30% capacity. Having been to a few Robo lax games 30% should accommodate everyone
I don't know if it varies by school, by ours does not yet seem to be allowing non-family fans for football. My HS seemed to be practicing social distancing at football games for years anyways ;-)
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:53 pm For NoVa public schools they had:
10-Riverside
12- Robo
14- tilly
17- Madison

Have not seen West Potomac in any off season events. May be hard to put them ahead of Battlefield and Yorktown. I would also place these two above Chantilly but after almost two seasons it is very hard to rank the teams. I think one and two are correct I suspect a team will surprise everyone this season. Who will be the biggest surprise of Spring 2021?
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:53 pm For NoVa public schools they had:
10-Riverside
12- Robo
14- tilly
17- Madison

Tilly at 14? Seems a little high.

No Battlefield or Patriot? Or Oakton or Yorktown? It will be a weird season. We will see soon enough.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

FXLax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 pm Any word on fans? Seems like restrictions are being lifted. I think I read “outdoor venues” can have up to 30% capacity. Having been to a few Robo lax games 30% should accommodate everyone
April 1, HS stadiums can have up to 500 spectators. Most VA HS will have as many fans as they want.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

ConcordetoODAC wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:25 pm
April 1, HS stadiums can have up to 500 spectators. Most VA HS will have as many fans as they want.
There MAY be variance with each HS, and with each County. I hope that Fairfax, where I am, can do this safely given that most public HS lacrosse games have at most of 100 fans (pure guess). With home and visitor fan seating there should be pretty easy ways to maintain distancing (if required) with masks etc.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

ckstevenson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:01 am
There MAY be variance with each HS, and with each County. I hope that Fairfax, where I am, can do this safely given that most public HS lacrosse games have at most of 100 fans (pure guess). With home and visitor fan seating there should be pretty easy ways to maintain distancing (if required) with masks etc.
Let’s hope so. The football attendance in Fairfax has been a joke.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

jerseyman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:52 pm
ckstevenson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:01 am
Let’s hope so. The football attendance in Fairfax has been a joke.
I don't know if the attendance policy changed in time for football but our games have been basically family only with a small # of students allowed.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Per a VA public HS coach on Facebook, JV (and I believe freshman) has been approved by VHSL to used modified 7v7 rules to enable teams to exist given lower than usual player turnout expected.

Would going to 7v7 for Freshman ever be a BENEFIT?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 am Per a VA public HS coach on Facebook, JV (and I believe freshman) has been approved by VHSL to used modified 7v7 rules to enable teams to exist given lower than usual player turnout expected.

Would going to 7v7 for Freshman ever be a BENEFIT?
For the first time since the early 1980's lacrosse participation is down. This is also true for NVYLL. Some schools do not have enough players for JV and V. In addition the skill level between those who play year round club and those that do not is very wide. It is tough to place freshman with little experience on a varsity roster v teams with year round players. I think the 7v7 format will benefit the players new to the game or have 1 to 2 seasons of NVYLL. Fall brawl and other formats prove that 7v7 is good for the game

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”