VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:37 pm Wow, the RS Hype Machine is on full blast in this thread. They are very good now, but are still “the new kid” in VA public HS lacrosse. Now that the pupil placement gate is closed, it will be interesting to see how long RS can sustain it. Give me the NOVA traditional powers who have had winning programs for decades as the cream of the crop, VEL fall league Results be damned. It was no fluke that the recent 6A Big Dogs state final participants were Robinson vs Madison.
I will give you NOVA traditional powers v. Loudoun schools in a head to head and it would not be close, the top Loudoun schools win. Riverside and Briar Woods were the two best public school programs last year and were state champs. The Loudoun youth programs are at the top of the youth league. Time to face facts, Loudoun has surpassed Fairfax in Lax Power Rankings. The trend is not reversing itself.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:59 pm
SpinalTap14 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:37 pm Wow, the RS Hype Machine is on full blast in this thread. They are very good now, but are still “the new kid” in VA public HS lacrosse. Now that the pupil placement gate is closed, it will be interesting to see how long RS can sustain it. Give me the NOVA traditional powers who have had winning programs for decades as the cream of the crop, VEL fall league Results be damned. It was no fluke that the recent 6A Big Dogs state final participants were Robinson vs Madison.
I will give you NOVA traditional powers v. Loudoun schools in a head to head and it would not be close, the top Loudoun schools win. Riverside and Briar Woods were the two best public school programs last year and were state champs. The Loudoun youth programs are at the top of the youth league. Time to face facts, Loudoun has surpassed Fairfax in Lax Power Rankings. The trend is not reversing itself.
Hard to disagree with this statement. I would choose a different wording than not even close as it would still be competitive. Just enjoy it now until Loudoun is overfilling like Fairfax did and the talent pool gets spread out with the proximity of schools being built so close to each other. Loudoun is on pace to have a new school every 2 years for the next decade. Just imagine if the spacing was the same and you combo'ed teams like Robinson and Woodson from a few years ago or Madison and Oakton from these past 3 years. I know it's not realistic, but it is what happened in the 90's and early 2000's when all you saw were what many people dubbed "the Big 4." Those schools were Robinson, Langley, Woodson and Oakton. Eventually surrounding schools dipped into their talent pools with population increases and you saw the rise of Madison, South Lakes, Chantilly, South County and Westfield. Boundary markers are changing every few years to accommodate the ever growing population. Just wait in about 5-10 years when the proposed plans for the new Fairfax HS to be put in between South Lakes, Herndon, Westfield, Oakton and Chantilly is built. Will take a lot of talent from all of those areas and then those schools will dip into other surrounding areas.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I would agree that it would be close is better wording and my earlier most may be overstating it a bit for effect. However, I think it is fair to say that the Loudoun schools have caught up to the "traditional" powers. (I will never consider Oakton, Madison, or Langley traditional powers.) Yet, the Robinson's and Lake Braddock's are still 2x the size of many of the Loudoun schools. The only 6A Loudoun school will be cut in half next year and back to 5A. The richer Loudoun talent pool has already been splitting itself for the last 10 years. If Freedom, Champe, Riverside, Briar Woods, Independence, Lightridge, and Rockridge had combined into two larger fairfax sized schools like Robinson it would not be close.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:31 pm I would agree that it would be close is better wording and my earlier most may be overstating it a bit for effect. However, I think it is fair to say that the Loudoun schools have caught up to the "traditional" powers. (I will never consider Oakton, Madison, or Langley traditional powers.) Yet, the Robinson's and Lake Braddock's are still 2x the size of many of the Loudoun schools. The only 6A Loudoun school will be cut in half next year and back to 5A. The richer Loudoun talent pool has already been splitting itself for the last 10 years. If Freedom, Champe, Riverside, Briar Woods, Independence, Lightridge, and Rockridge had combined into two larger fairfax sized schools like Robinson it would not be close.
It will be interesting to see the impact of the “new” PVI once it opens in Eastern Loudon next year. Undoubtedly, some of the top kids in Loudon will matriculate.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:31 pm I will never consider Oakton, Madison, or Langley traditional powers.
You don't consider Oakton or Langley traditional lacrosse powers? When did you start watching lacrosse in this area? Those 2 teams combined have 9 state championships. Oakton had a small little spell where they were not in the hunt for being a top 5 team in the area and Langley has had their's more recently. Sorry, but I think anyone who has been in this area long enough would consider you dead wrong on this front.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

whodatsay wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:31 pm I will never consider Oakton, Madison, or Langley traditional powers.
You don't consider Oakton or Langley traditional lacrosse powers? When did you start watching lacrosse in this area? Those 2 teams combined have 9 state championships. Oakton had a small little spell where they were not in the hunt for being a top 5 team in the area and Langley has had their's more recently. Sorry, but I think anyone who has been in this area long enough would consider you dead wrong on this front.
After re reading my post, I think most people will think I am dead wrong. However, I may be showing my age. It is a bit of an obscure comment but back in the 1980's Madison, Langley, Oakton did not field a team in the very first seasons of VHSL lacrosse. Therefore, I do not consider them traditional powers like the original VHSL teams. Instead, kids from these school chose to stick with club ball only. For the younger folks who follow HS lacrosse in the 90's and 2000's these were the power teams along with Robinson.

Back to reality, as far as PVI is concerned, they already have many of the Loudoun kids on the roster. I do not think they will get a bunch to transfer in after the move. They will still get players that simply want to go to PVI. The bulk of the freshman class are Loudoun kids. Many of the top Fairfax and a few PWC kids are going to other privates like G.Town Prep and St. Johns. That is just something that will effect all programs. However, just because a kid can play does not always mean the parent will sacrifice the extra effort and $$ for the private school. Loudoun will still continue to keep top players at the schools.
sguy

Post by sguy »

I believe Lacrosse became a Varsity Sport in 1990 in Fairfax County. Everything prior was "Club" in Fairfax Co. True "State Championships" started later in the 90s with VHSL. Oakton under Gray won 4 state titles in the 2000s and a later Langley did same under Brewer. With nothing "official" it would be hard pressed to rate the teams the 80's as powerhouses. This is not an attempt on my part to disrespect those teams or players. Its just making statements about those teams is a bit murky to me when no official records were kept. If I am wrong please explain...
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:11 pm For the huge $$ these coaches are pulling in, I think they should all coach year round {sarcastic font} Based on what others have seen from VEL this fall is Riverside the top public school? Is Broad Run legit? Battlefield? Also, as fall brawl approaches are the programs that are entering two teams the ones likely to be in the Varsity Elite, with a higher and lower team? Just curious. Any other VEL insights?
Battlefield is going to be pretty damn good....but then again,, So were the Dodgers and Astros.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

sguy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am I believe Lacrosse became a Varsity Sport in 1990 in Fairfax County. Everything prior was "Club" in Fairfax Co. True "State Championships" started later in the 90s with VHSL. Oakton under Gray won 4 state titles in the 2000s and a later Langley did same under Brewer. With nothing "official" it would be hard pressed to rate the teams the 80's as powerhouses. This is not an attempt on my part to disrespect those teams or players. Its just making statements about those teams is a bit murky to me when no official records were kept. If I am wrong please explain...
'88 was the first official VHSL season. ALthough no official records were kept I guess you have to just take my word for it. I have a few unofficial records still lying around in the basement archives. In '88 these were official HS teams and it was managed through VHSL not WALL. The aforementioned "traditional" schools remained clubs. We also played Albemarle HS that season so it was not just Fairfax Co schools. There was however zero lacrosse in Loudoun at the time.
sguy

Post by sguy »

Great info, my high school played its 1st season as a Club sport. We teamed up with another School near us. Our team played their "JV" schedule, the other team played the "Varsity" schedule. The next year Lacrosse became an official Varsity sport across Fairfax County. Which meant that the teams received funding rather than self financing their season. Once it was elevated to Varsity status most schools started to field teams in Fairfax. Basically that status change mainstreamed the sport.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 am
sguy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am I believe Lacrosse became a Varsity Sport in 1990 in Fairfax County. Everything prior was "Club" in Fairfax Co. True "State Championships" started later in the 90s with VHSL. Oakton under Gray won 4 state titles in the 2000s and a later Langley did same under Brewer. With nothing "official" it would be hard pressed to rate the teams the 80's as powerhouses. This is not an attempt on my part to disrespect those teams or players. Its just making statements about those teams is a bit murky to me when no official records were kept. If I am wrong please explain...
'88 was the first official VHSL season. ALthough no official records were kept I guess you have to just take my word for it. I have a few unofficial records still lying around in the basement archives. In '88 these were official HS teams and it was managed through VHSL not WALL. The aforementioned "traditional" schools remained clubs. We also played Albemarle HS that season so it was not just Fairfax Co schools. There was however zero lacrosse in Loudoun at the time.
Correct, '88 was the first year lacrosse was an official varsity sport, unofficial state champions were not recognized until 1991 I believe. Up until mid-2000's it was declared an unofficial state title, but let's be real here those were the tops teams in the state. I believe 2006 was the first year of the official state title.

1991 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1992 - Oakton, Joe Long
1993 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1994 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1995 - Woodson, Jon Fitzgerald
1996 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1997 - Annandale, Bob Leibowitz
1998 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1999 - Woodson, Jon Fitzgerald
2000 - Woodson, Jon Fitzgerald
2001 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
2002 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
2003 - Oakton, Tony Gray
2004 - Oakton, Tony Gray
2005 - Oakton, Tony Gray

Official Titles begin

2006 - Robinson, Justin Fitzgerald
2007 - Robinson, Justin Fitzgerald
2008 - Chantilly, Kevin Broderick
2009 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2010 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2011 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2012 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2013 - Chantilly, Kevin Broderick
2014 - Robinson, Matt Curran
2015 - Robinson, Matt Curran
2016 - Robinson, Matt Curran
2017 - Woodson, Ryan Hilliard
2018 - Oakton, Jake Bullock
2019 - Madison, Aaron Solomon

Robinson - 12 Total (7 Unofficial, 5 Official)
Oakton - 5 Total (4 Unofficial, 1 Official)
Woodson - 4 Total (3 Unofficial, 1 Official)
Langley - 4 Total (4 Official)
Chantilly - 2 Total (2 Official)
Madison - 1 Total (1 Official)
Annandale - 1 Total (1 Unofficial)

Up until 2006, the most common opponent in the state championship that played the Northern Region Champs was Albemarle HS who always got drummed with the exception of 1 year where they lost by 2-3 goals.

In the late 1970's and 80's the club lacrosse scene was known as the Braddock Road Lacrosse Club started up by Steve Price and Paul St. Germaine. Teams from many high schools joined together to play private schools and such and actually beat teams like Landon.
sguy

Post by sguy »

whodatsay wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:57 am
'88 was the first official VHSL season. ALthough no official records were kept I guess you have to just take my word for it. I have a few unofficial records still lying around in the basement archives. In '88 these were official HS teams and it was managed through VHSL not WALL. The aforementioned "traditional" schools remained clubs. We also played Albemarle HS that season so it was not just Fairfax Co schools. There was however zero lacrosse in Loudoun at the time.....
I "Heart" your post - Great info!!

This is exactly what the hockey teams in the county are doing. The publics are playing the privates and representing well in the metro leagues.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Next up for VA public school lacrosse: Fall Brawl. New rules should be very interesting. I think that if the lacrosse world wants this, Fall Brawl is the best place to try it. It does make sense to me. As shooters are getting better and better, this levels the play a bit on the smaller fields. What do others think?
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Langley, Oakton, and Madison all had teams in 1989. A one year discrepancy seems ticky tack not to call them "traditional" schools, esp when Saxons and Cougars are #2 and #3 (tie) on WhoDat's list of champs (awesome record keeping and sharing, BTW).

Who were the first teams in that '88 season? Robinson, Woodson, Lake Braddock...?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

JustPassingThrough wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:48 am
Langley, Oakton, and Madison all had teams in 1989. A one year discrepancy seems ticky tack not to call them "traditional" schools, esp when Saxons and Cougars are #2 and #3 (tie) on WhoDat's list of champs (awesome record keeping and sharing, BTW).

Who were the first teams in that '88 season? Robinson, Woodson, Lake Braddock...?
I think it is great that there is a lot of interest in the early formation of true public school lacrosse in VA. Am I being ticky tack? YES 100% I would not expect anyone else to agree with my post. I just still resent that they refused to play that season when they had played our teams in previous years and did not support becoming a true varsity sport. The coaches at that time thought it would never catch on in all the schools and chose to remain a club v. a Varsity sport. I will stand by my statement.
1. Madison did not field a Varsity team in 1989. Ironically enough I was reading the 1989 yearbook just this week. This weekend is the Madison 30yr reunion. (not mine) and in the spring sports insert they mention that they only fielded JV and not Varsity like the 12 other public schools. The same would be true for Langley and Oakton as the Vienna club team stuck together. They were a very good team and played in the WALL and competed v. some of the best private schools in the area.
2. The first State Champion in '88 was Robinson who defeated West Springfield at Lake Braddock HS field. West Springfield has previously defeated Robinson in the fist game which was at WS. The '87 WS JV team was undefeated with wins over St. Johns and St. Stephens. In 1989 WS also had the first HS All American from a public school in VA. Fun Fact: Three current public school head coaches were in that game.
Truth be told I enjoy the old memories while I still have them but am more interested in today. Great to see the growth and I think this season and last season is when the Fairfax torch gets passed to Loudoun. Time will tell.
3. Also of note is that 1988 was also the first season of Vienna Club women's lacrosse. This is also first hand information.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Fall Brawl prediction:
Elite: Riverside
Open: Battlefield
JV: LB
Predictions are made for entertainment purposes only. Wagering on fall sports is not condoned by FANLAX or Fall Bawl in any form. For any who think, "It is just the fall and does not mean anything!" My response: DUHH, but we are in the fall and that is all there is right now. Spare me.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Got the first one right...

Although some really hard fought games to get there
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Crlaxy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 pm Got the first one right...

Although some really hard fought games to get there
Also got the JV game right. Nicely done.
The Mandalorian

Post by The Mandalorian »

sguy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am

1991 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1992 - Oakton, Joe Long
1993 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1994 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1995 - Woodson, Jon Fitzgerald
1996 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1997 - Annandale, Bob Leibowitz
1998 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
1999 - Woodson, Jon Fitzgerald
2000 - Woodson, Jon Fitzgerald
2001 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
2002 - Robinson, Tom Tufts
2003 - Oakton, Tony Gray
2004 - Oakton, Tony Gray
2005 - Oakton, Tony Gray

Official Titles begin

2006 - Robinson, Justin Fitzgerald
2007 - Robinson, Justin Fitzgerald
2008 - Chantilly, Kevin Broderick
2009 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2010 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2011 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2012 - Langley, Earl Brewer
2013 - Chantilly, Kevin Broderick
2014 - Robinson, Matt Curran
2015 - Robinson, Matt Curran
2016 - Robinson, Matt Curran
2017 - Woodson, Ryan Hilliard
2018 - Oakton, Jake Bullock
2019 - Madison, Aaron Solomon

Robinson - 12 Total (7 Unofficial, 5 Official)
Oakton - 5 Total (4 Unofficial, 1 Official)
Woodson - 4 Total (3 Unofficial, 1 Official)
Langley - 4 Total (4 Official)
Chantilly - 2 Total (2 Official)
Madison - 1 Total (1 Official)
Annandale - 1 Total (1 Unofficial)

Best Champions Six Pack

1994 Robinson Rams- Team of Legends. NCAA PoYs and future MLL MVPs. Would eventually produce coaches that would win championships in NoVa and the IAC.

1997 Annandale Atoms- Overwhelming fire power, dominating face off play and a human highlight tape in the cage. The Atoms played with the aide of a truly hostile home Field advantage. They went undefeated which included three victories over Robinson, who had been champs the previous year and would be again the following season.

2000 Woodson Cavaliers- Last NoVa Public ranked in the Top 20 nationally. No D1 commits, No AA selections but No weaknesses. Probably a dozen eventual D2/3 starters contributed to a repeat championship.

2005 Oakton Cougars- Had legit NFL athletes on the field. Played with supreme confidence led by a true believer of the game. Lifted the bar and left a long shadow on the program for over a decade.

2008 Chantilly Chargers- Last Unbeaten Squad in NoVa history. Loaded with talent the season was a coronation which they were nice enough to invite a strong Oakton team to 4x. Turned the “big 4” into the “big 5” and nearly melted Ye Ole Forum.

2014 Robinson Rams-Strongest Long Pole unit maybe ever in NoVa. D1 Talent on each level of the field. Another Ram alumni returns a title home shortly after the passing of the Legendary Coach Tufts.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Going a bit further back in the time machine - In the late 70's to early 80's Robinson and Woodson could field decent teams, but they (along with Oakton, Lake Braddock and W. Springfield) lost a lot of their top talent to the BRYC Lacrosse team that primarily played against the IAC teams. When BRYC played the public schools from which they drew their players - the games were "spirited", but the outcomes were rarely in doubt...
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”