VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

[flash=]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DQ_BxX ... 2AJwQ/view[/flash]

The announcement from VHSL suggests a possible modified season/games in early to middle summer. I am glad they are at least going to consider something in May, to implement in June I guess this is still wishful thinking as no one really knows the future at this point. I think many kids and parents would like to see something happen. I think conflicts with club lacrosse, officials, college bound players, access to schools and transportation would create limitations but not impossible.

UPDATE 3-30-2020: There will be not lacrosse played in VA or MD until late July August at the soonest. Maybe have Fallbrawl on thanksgiving weekend and create a class of 2020 Division?
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

Unread post by OSVAlacrosse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am

UPDATE 3-30-2020: There will be not lacrosse played in VA or MD until late July August at the soonest. Maybe have Fallbrawl on thanksgiving weekend and create a class of 2020 Division?

Good Morning. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. It's been a big downer for everyone. My senior has been holding out hope for some sort of mini-season. I noticed your update on 3-30-2020 (OSVAlacrosse), did they put out a formal announcement with respect to the change? I thought they would make a decision in May as to when they may move forward? I understand the delay, but just wanted to see if you could direct me to the page with updates. Thank you!
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

JMlacrosse wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 am Re: VA Public School Lacrosse
Unread post by OSVAlacrosse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am

Good Morning. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. It's been a big downer for everyone. My senior has been holding out hope for some sort of mini-season. I noticed your update on 3-30-2020 (OSVAlacrosse), did they put out a formal announcement with respect to the change? I thought they would make a decision in May as to when they may move forward? I understand the delay, but just wanted to see if you could direct me to the page with updates. Thank you!
I have not seen anything official. However, the Governor issued stay at home guidance through June 10th in his public address. All State colleges have cancelled graduation and all public schools are cancelled. I am sure it is remotely possible that if conditions rapidly improve VHSL might allow August football. Some teams may be able to welcome a senior back for a late summer fall practice or get together. I do not think any form of VHSL play or mini tournament will take place.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

I have not seen anything official. However, the Governor issued stay at home guidance through June 10th in his public address. All State colleges have cancelled graduation and all public schools are cancelled. I am sure it is remotely possible that if conditions rapidly improve VHSL might allow August football. Some teams may be able to welcome a senior back for a late summer fall practice or get together. I do not think any form of VHSL play or mini tournament will take place.

Understood. I wasn't sure if they made an official announcement. Given the current conditions, I too seriously doubt they will have something in June. As with most seniors, my son won't be able to join a fall practice or get together, as he'll be leaving for school. He's playing in college next year, and I don't know what the NCAA rules are for summer play. I don't think there will be restrictions. Hopefully, not. Sounds like VHSL will make a final decision in May. Who knows, still holding out hope..anything is possible. Take care!
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

The actual official date for any sport to participate in any sort of activity is July 1. This has been instructed by the VHSL. All activities that take place on county HS fields are suspended until July 1st as well.
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

Thank you for clarifying. I guess we take this one month at a time. Be well.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

I will say not having football next season will drastically impact all sports as a whole. Football brings in so much revenue for the states athletic programs that they basically fund all of the stipends for all sports coaches as well as profit from ticket sales to help bolster any income. Believe what you want, but spring sports do not bring in revenue. Let’s also remember that attendance at high school sports is dwindling already so a cancellation in August/September would have effects on winter and spring programs in some capacity next year. You may find that the VHSL has an adapted schedule put forth with just district games and 1-2 fill ins for a modified 7-8 game season. This would be because allowance back to school property wouldn’t be until late August or early September. I fully expect some adaptation to the fall given what we keep seeing in the news and how people continue to ignore regulations and promoted structure.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

whodatsay wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 am I will say not having football next season will drastically impact all sports as a whole. Football brings in so much revenue for the states athletic programs that they basically fund all of the stipends for all sports coaches as well as profit from ticket sales to help bolster any income. Believe what you want, but spring sports do not bring in revenue. Let’s also remember that attendance at high school sports is dwindling already so a cancellation in August/September would have effects on winter and spring programs in some capacity next year. You may find that the VHSL has an adapted schedule put forth with just district games and 1-2 fill ins for a modified 7-8 game season. This would be because allowance back to school property wouldn’t be until late August or early September. I fully expect some adaptation to the fall given what we keep seeing in the news and how people continue to ignore regulations and promoted structure.
That is an interesting point but I do not see how football would have a drastic impact on spring 2021 sports? Football ticket sales do not bring in so much revenue at all schools. The athletic programs and funding of schools is at a county and not a state level. The athletic fee paid by each athlete is most likely more than the sum of football ticket sales. I think booster's and fund raisers, snack bar, mattress/mulch sales are also greater than ticket sales. I would find it highly unlikely that ticket sales in Loudoun County for HS football generate enough funds to cover the cost of football let alone fund a spring sport. I do agree that modified seasons are likely. I do not think VHSL will have any lacrosse until next spring. Hopefully HS coaches can work with club programs to fill something this summer. Many club tournaments are going to be cancelled or modified leaving an opening to include a HS team or maybe someone like Evergreen could host the HS all star game or senior games or something. Key is to keep everyone following guidelines and get this thing over with.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong about football ticket revenue not bringing in money. Football income accounts for over half of the AD budgets, don't believe me then ask an AD somewhere. This may affect stipends towards coaches, increased prices to games, cost of officials, etc, etc. Not sure where you see private team fundraisers getting donated to Booster accounts, but not in Fairfax County. This does have an affect on other sports as they take the brunt of the financial hit. Not having this season puts spring sports on an even further back burner because of the time frame spent away from it already. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just being a realist of what could happen. If something is cancelled or modified, then someone has to take the hit and we know football never takes the hit around here. If you think privatized club programs are willing to sacrifice their well-being and profits for the sake of HS sports then you are mistaken. Evergreen is nice, but would charge thousands to host anything, you think parents want to pay to play? Aint gonna happen friend.

This just in from the VHSL office

VHSL and COVID-19 FAQ’s

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Due to the current status of schools in the Commonwealth closed for the remainder of year in response to COVID-19, the VHSL has received numerous questions regarding spring sports, eligibility and other issues. The VHSL is providing a list of FAQ’s on its website under “COVID-19 News/FAQ’s” to provide guidance and use as a resource on topical issues: https://www.vhsl.org/covid-19-news-release/. The FAQ’s will be updated with additional information in the coming weeks, so please check back frequently.

Eligibility

1. My child was offered a college scholarship, and now the school has rescinded it because their current player at that position is returning since the NCAA is granting college athletes an additional year of eligibility. My child needs a semester waiver to stay in high school. What are their options?

The NCAA increased the number of scholarships for next year to accommodate those incoming freshmen offered scholarships and for those current student athletes who wish to take advantage of the NCAA decision. Therefore, this is an issue related to the NCAA universities and colleges wishing to save money, and it is neither an NCAA or VHSL issue. Those high school athletes in this situation need to communicate their concerns with the schools wishing to withdraw scholarship offers.

1. What is the VHSL’s position on Spring sport athletes being granted an extra year of eligibility like the NCAA?

The VHSL and NCAA are uniquely different organizations. While there is a semester waiver appeal process, there are multiple concerns relative to granting such waivers. They include but are not limited to:
• Students having already met graduation requirements.

• Unlike the NCAA, no post graduate opportunities exist for high school students that include eligibility within the school system.

• Semester eligibility has historically only been granted in serious medical conditions (cancer treatment, heart operations, major car accidents) that led to the student’s inability to both complete course work and participate for a year or longer.

• Semester waivers have historically been granted for an entire school year, not a single semester or sport season. Granting eligibility just to Spring athletes does not match the consistency with which this rule has been previously applied.

1. Why doesn’t the VHSL just grant every student an extra year of eligibility?

The answer is multi-faceted and includes but may not be limited to:
• Those who have met graduation requirements would not be eligible to return to high school and participate.

• Allowing some students 5 years of a sport violates the semester rule, and Fall and Winter athletes would not be eligible if they have had four seasons to participate.

• Allowing students who have not played four years of a sport an extra year is also inconsistent with the semester rule, which states a student has 8 consecutive semesters of opportunity to participate, beginning with their entrance to the 9th grade.

• Semester waivers have historically been granted for unique medical conditions that affected the student’s ability to attend school and participate for an extended period of time (a year or longer in some cases).

• A rule change of this magnitude would require the approval of the VHSL Executive Committee through its two-vote rule change process.

VHSL Schedules and Deadlines

1. Why hasn’t the VHSL committed to playing Spring sports contests in July and August?

There are multiple reasons that no decision has been made at this time. They include:
• It has not been determined exactly when it will be safe to return to anything close to a normal existence, much less the level and time at which extracurricular activities would be considered.

• Schools are faced with many issues during this time including providing learning opportunities, determining grading structures, conducting major school events such as graduation, and potentially eliminating required seat time. To undertake and then allow extracurricular activities would seem quite inconsistent and highly disingenuous.

• VHSL Physicals expire at the end of June. Additionally, many physicians have postponed or cancelled well visits. Students receiving an updated physical has the potential to be very inconsistent or an impossible option deep into the summer.

• School student insurance for a school system expires in most cases sometime in June. The cost to receive a rider is not likely to be something school systems will have the ability to add.

• Some students have alerted the VHSL that their travel teams have what they consider important events scheduled for the Summer. Adding the high school component would create issues that these students would like to avoid.

1. What is the status relative to Fall sports?

It is too early to make any definitive decision(s) relative to any sports and activities for the Fall of 2020. Staff is monitoring the current situation and gathering all appropriate available information to establish “what if” protocols should they become necessary.

1. Are VHSL deadlines still in force?

There are some notable adjustments to the deadlines as published by the VHSL. They include:

• Coaches Eligibility Form - Deadline moved from May 1 to August 4
• Participation Survey - Deadline moved to August 4
• Membership Application - Deadline Moved to August 4
• Football Schedules - Deadline moved from May 1 to June 15

VHSL Awards and Scholarships

1. What is the status of VHSL Awards and Scholarships?

• The VHSL Scholarship Applications are in the process of being reviewed, and the scholarships will be awarded for the 2019-2020 school year.

• The Wells Fargo Awards for Sports and Activities yearlong accomplishments will not be awarded this year as the Spring season is a critical component of those awards.

• The Claudia Dodson Sportsmanship, Ethics, and Integrity Award will not be awarded this year.

• The VHSL Stay in the Game Award will not be given out this year. However, schools that received no ejections in either the Fall and/or Winter will be recognized for those accomplishments on the VHSL website.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I appreciate the detailed response and I am sure all of us would rather be posting and reading about game summaries and team rankings. Just a few points of clarification. I did not state that football does not bring in revenue (unless your in the Parkview school district) but this is not TX HS or SEC football. I have been to local games with less than 200 people average. Most left after the band performs. High school sports are a net cost to county budgets. They do not fund school's Athletic department. I do not see how football ticket sales factor into the overall FFX County school budget the way football revenue impacts a University like Alabama. Either way all sports are a cost to the county. When a school needs a facility upgrade like a turf field, this is raised by voters through a bond. So how would missing a few football games on a modified season have a "dramatic" impact on Spring sports? I just do not see the correlation between the two. Also, Evergreen already hosts a HS all star game. From my experience parents would easily pay money to have an extra game of lacrosse. I think that is even more true today. Most parents I know if offered a chance to have a senior player play one more game? ....Just take my money. Finally, most of the local clubs have key ties to high school programs and many of the HS coaches coach for the clubs. In addition, summer events are being modified which means they will be missing teams. Perhaps a 2020 division could be added to offset out of town clubs that will be missing from other summer events. For example the Legends event in Leesburg. I think these scenarios are more likely than VHSL doing any meaningful mini season this summer. This is simply my opinion.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19yc6Hm ... AVAX_/view

VHSL announcement is not a surprise at all but a disappointment none the less.

"“Any options for the spring sports season would require that COVID-19 no longer be a threat and pose no health
risks to our student-athletes or to the public." This is a rather tough standard to use but I think spring sports were a foregone conclusion and the right move. I hope fall sports are another story.

In any case, what is the future? Which teams will surprise. Which teams change the most?
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:54 am "“Any options for the spring sports season would require that COVID-19 no longer be a threat and pose no health
risks to our student-athletes or to the public."
"No health risk" is a ludicrous standard that demonstrates economic illiteracy. Every minute of everyday, every person faces various health risks. We manage these risks by evaluating trade-offs through both public policy and personal decisions. Every building, bridge, etc. is designed and built to standards that imply a probability of failure. Water quality and food standards assume a probability of health risks.

I'm not advocating for resuming school or sports at any particular time, but certainly we should resume long before there is "no health risk" from COVID-19. To wait until that standard is met, our students will suffer immense academic and psychological harm.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:54 am "“Any options for the spring sports season would require that COVID-19 no longer be a threat and pose no health
risks to our student-athletes or to the public."
"No health risk" is a ludicrous standard that demonstrates economic illiteracy. Every minute of everyday, every person faces various health risks. We manage these risks by evaluating trade-offs through both public policy and personal decisions. Every building, bridge, etc. is designed and built to standards that imply a probability of failure. Water quality and food standards assume a probability of health risks.

I'm not advocating for resuming school or sports at any particular time, but certainly we should resume long before there is "no health risk" from COVID-19. To wait until that standard is met, our students will suffer immense academic and psychological harm.
This is very well stated.

At the outset of this situation we were told to stay home for two weeks to flatten the curve, in order to stop the spread of COVID-19 and prevent our hospitals from being overwhelmed with patients. Two months later our hospitals are in many instances empty, but our economy is in ruins, 40m Americans unemployed, and many of our public servants seem to have decided that we need to abstain from all human activity until we face "no health risks" from COVID-19. Moreover, the virus seems to pose almost no health risks to those under 25.

Risk is baked into the human condition and experience. It's time to move forward.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

For the record, the quote was taken directly from the VHSL statement and does not reflect in any way my opinion. I agree with with both Novalax2015 and JB. However, I am over debating public policy as that is a far larger issue.

I would like to debate something more important:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/page/dimap

This map highlights the growth of lacrosse and tracks D1 players 2014-2020 by County. Spoiler alert: Loudoun 93 Fairfax 80.

Can we finally claim that Loudoun is the hotbed of Northern Virginia?
BattleLax

Post by BattleLax »

Congrats to Thomas Rigney - Patriot HS (2015) - Army (2020) - for being drafted 5th in the 1st round in the MLL Draft and drafted 4th in the 1st round in the PLL draft!

MLL Draft: https://majorleaguelacrosse.com/news/20 ... ayers.aspx

PLL Draft: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... hers/56409
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

This map highlights the growth of lacrosse and tracks D1 players 2014-2020 by County. Spoiler alert: Loudoun 93 Fairfax 80.

Can we finally claim that Loudoun is the hotbed of Northern Virginia?

While having almost 1/3 the population of 15-18 y/o's during that period
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

So this week would have been filled with fun speculation but as it stands, Madison, Briar Woods, and Riverside will enter the next season as defending state champs. Soon we can return to debating if the fall VEL league, Fall Brawl, and FN are a sign of things to come or meaningless as top players were missing. I think that Riverside and Robinson will be the best teams in the state. I think there will be some competition in 5A. Battlefield or Patriot will try to make a run. The usual team will still be in the top 10. I just hope they get to play.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Just an idea - Due to the vast loss of practices and games for Fairfax County Public Schools sports teams, all future out of season practice restrictions should be waived. Lacrosse (and those other spring sports) has a good chance for a 2021 full season, so as we move to some level of normalcy into the school year, allow coaches unlimited pre-season practices, allow them to coach their teams in fall / winter tournaments (and gently escort the well-meaning but utterly clueless volunteer dads to the stands), no limits on camps, clinics, etc. Get rid of the confusing greendays. I believe Loudon County already has no limits on out of season coaching, so it’s about time that FC follow suit. This may compensate for the pandemic’s sedentary effect on our student athletes.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:05 am Just an idea - Due to the vast loss of practices and games for Fairfax County Public Schools sports teams, all future out of season practice restrictions should be waived. Lacrosse (and those other spring sports) has a good chance for a 2021 full season, so as we move to some level of normalcy into the school year, allow coaches unlimited pre-season practices, allow them to coach their teams in fall / winter tournaments (and gently escort the well-meaning but utterly clueless volunteer dads to the stands), no limits on camps, clinics, etc. Get rid of the confusing greendays. I believe Loudon County already has no limits on out of season coaching, so it’s about time that FC follow suit. This may compensate for the pandemic’s sedentary effect on our student athletes.
Great idea I hope someone with the power to make it happen reads this. Loudoun coaches do have restrictions as well. I am not sure why the restrictions are even necessary.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Just for amusement, here are the current guidelines for practicing lacrosse from VHSL: Not sure a fall season is going to work they way things are headed. Someone actually to the time to type and post this:

"Conditioning, individual drills, each player has his own ball. A
player should not use a lacrosse ball that others touch in any
manner. Protective equipment prohibited."

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”