Corona

HS Girls Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Corona

Post by njbill »

Maybe (hopefully) the situation will be much better in a couple of months, but as things stand right now, I just don’t see summer tournaments coming off. You are going to ask families to drive for hours in a car, stopping at highway rest stops, eating in restaurants, staying in hotels, crowding together on the sidelines and in tents, etc.? Aren’t some number of families, probably reaching a critical mass, going to be unwilling to do that?

There’s polling showing a majority of people say they won’t attend a sporting event until there is a vaccine. If that’s the case, going to a multi-day summer tournament would seem to involve much more potential exposure than sitting in the stands watching a baseball game for a couple of hours.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:21 am Maybe (hopefully) the situation will be much better in a couple of months, but as things stand right now, I just don’t see summer tournaments coming off. You are going to ask families to drive for hours in a car, stopping at highway rest stops, eating in restaurants, staying in hotels, crowding together on the sidelines and in tents, etc.? Aren’t some number of families, probably reaching a critical mass, going to be unwilling to do that?

There’s polling showing a majority of people say they won’t attend a sporting event until there is a vaccine. If that’s the case, going to a multi-day summer tournament would seem to involve much more potential exposure than sitting in the stands watching a baseball game for a couple of hours.
Without a doubt. But the schools in support of IWLCA aren't saying they aren't attending tournaments - only that they are not attending Corrigan's tournaments "if IWLCA is not involved" (or words to that import). If it was a Covid issue, they should say that they are not attending any summer tournaments due to Covid (and, of course, this has nothing to do with NOVEMBER).
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wouldn’t surprise me if colleges and universities prohibit their coaches from attending tournaments.
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 am
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:21 am Maybe (hopefully) the situation will be much better in a couple of months, but as things stand right now, I just don’t see summer tournaments coming off. You are going to ask families to drive for hours in a car, stopping at highway rest stops, eating in restaurants, staying in hotels, crowding together on the sidelines and in tents, etc.? Aren’t some number of families, probably reaching a critical mass, going to be unwilling to do that?

Without a doubt. But the schools in support of IWLCA aren't saying they aren't attending tournaments - only that they are not attending Corrigan's tournaments "if IWLCA is not involved" (or words to that import). If it was a Covid issue, they should say that they are not attending any summer tournaments due to Covid (and, of course, this has nothing to do with NOVEMBER).
Yes I agree here. I’m completely irritated by all this nonsense. I very much doubt that the Live Love Lax folks would launch a new tournament in November without hearing from coaches that they would attend. It’s a small community. They all know each other.

I’d love to see the IWLCA give some indication of how they plan to proceed. If small one day clinics are now preferred, send out that message.

And I don’t know that colleges are prohibiting coaches from going to tournaments or recruiting. I just received an email about an Ivy clinic that had to be moved off campus to abide by the college’s current rules but the coach is apparently able to hold the clinic off-site.
njbill

Post by njbill »

All of this, clinics (on or off campus), tournaments, etc., is dependent on how this pandemic progresses. Depending on where these clinics would be held, currently they would be prohibited in most states (all or virtually all Ivy states) due to physical distancing rules.

I know there is a lot of scheduling, and schedule juggling, going on. But nobody, certainly not the tournament organizers, schools, or coaches, knows whether any of these activities will be permitted this summer. Even if technically permitted, will people be willing to travel, etc. to attend? Not sure how wise that would be. Maybe things will be different in a few months. Let’s hope so.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pm All of this, clinics (on or off campus), tournaments, etc., is dependent on how this pandemic progresses. Depending on where these clinics would be held, currently they would be prohibited in most states (all or virtually all Ivy states) due to physical distancing rules.

I know there is a lot of scheduling, and schedule juggling, going on. But nobody, certainly not the tournament organizers, schools, or coaches, knows whether any of these activities will be permitted this summer. Even if technically permitted, will people be willing to travel, etc. to attend? Not sure how wise that would be. Maybe things will be different in a few months. Let’s hope so.
I agree with all that, but the IWLCA is not making decisions based on Covid, they are making it based on another reason. They aren't being transparent and I think it's incredibly poor form to use Covid as an "excuse".
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

This entire thing is so unreal. Honestly, this helps push recruiting back. I think some 22s are already set with some schools. if colleges aren't open in the fall, I hope 22s wait until they can visit schools. The in-coming Freshmen won't get fall ball which will be rough. Hopefully some summer will happen and worse case scenario with the IWLCA/CSE is coaches can watch film.
shenandoahslammer

Post by shenandoahslammer »

Please read - D1 non-revenue generating sports at risk.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... orts/56338

There is a change.org petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/mark-emmert-st ... g-pandemic
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:54 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:17 pm All of this, clinics (on or off campus), tournaments, etc., is dependent on how this pandemic progresses. Depending on where these clinics would be held, currently they would be prohibited in most states (all or virtually all Ivy states) due to physical distancing rules.

I agree with all that, but the IWLCA is not making decisions based on Covid, they are making it based on another reason. They aren't being transparent and I think it's incredibly poor form to use Covid as an "excuse".
I would focus on CSE not being transparent -not the IWLCA. May want to think about why they are "delaying" tournaments rather than issuing refunds...
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:41 am
laxfan22 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:54 pm

I would focus on CSE not being transparent -not the IWLCA. May want to think about why they are "delaying" tournaments rather than issuing refunds...

How so? Most every tournament has been "delayed" and not canceled, not just CSE. Meanwhile, IWLCA said they will not go to CSE tournaments due to Covid, but i haven't seen any coach say that they aren't going to ANY tournaments, why is that?
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

I think the LLL fall tournament really says it all. If the coaches were happy and content with Presidents Cup and planning on attending the annual meeting that wouldn’t have popped up. And that didn’t just happen with Covid. That’s been in the works.
Grem99

Post by Grem99 »

The STEPS/YJ summer tournaments Lax for a Cure, G8, LLL looks like they always draw a long list of coaches and they are still on. Are coaches saying they will not be going to those for the safety of all? It’s hard to believe steps/yj’s would have planned LLL FL if they thought the IWCLA was putting on the President’s Cup the same weekend. We know they are very connected to coaches. I’m certainly not defending CSE, but how this all went down seems very shady.
We are in New England and unfortunately, the summer regional recruiting tournament was also tied to CSE. Our club travelled to the Capitol Cup in summer, not any of the STEPS/YJ events. It seems like recruiting will be done at these more exclusive tournaments going forward and club name/connections will matter more then ever for the 22’s/23’s. I do agree camps are the best way to go, but awfully difficult when they are mostly scheduled for the same week. Now with some still scheduled for end of June, some pushed to August and some cancelled altogether, summer is a mess. Daughter wishes the IWLCA had more of a plan to put out then “the coaches will find the players” :roll:
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

There is a reason why some clubs attend all of the STEPS/YJ tournaments and others don't attend any.
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

Do tell...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Grem99 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm “the coaches will find the players” :roll:
As a parent who had a daughter playing for a unknown club team , she was a lucky one that got seen at a camp by a D1 coach. That coach told her she never would have seen her at any recruiting tournament because she wasnt in a top club and they just cant watch every game. So, I believe in the camp/clinic model for recruitment....yes you can be seen in the tournaments, but you just have to be lucky or in those top 10 clubs.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Liza Kelly with an uplifting article

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... ss-of-2022
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

That is a nice article Dr. I also appreciate your story about camps. We’re keeping a spreadsheet on which are open. As you might expect the dates are moving all around.

It looks like my daughter’s club is not participating in the CSE events but is participating in the Steps events. They’re trying to add events to compensate for the loss of the CSE events.

It will be an interesting summer.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

I don't see how a summer season is possible. It seems like every week another domino falls.
1. IWLCA cancels its tournaments.
2. Colleges for the past month have been progressively cancelling all of their summer lacrosse camps/clinics. A few have postponed theirs until August.
3. The NCAA extends it recruiting dead period through May and now through June with the potential to extend even it further (i.e. July 31) at its May 27th meeting.
4. US Lacrosse cancels or postpones its July events with an option later this month to cancel its August event, too.

The major summer lacrosse tournament operators (CSE, STEPS/YJ, Ultimate Events, Thinklax) still haven't cancelled their main events. It seems like it's only a matter of time, and I presume they will only do so at the last minute.

Has anyone heard of lacrosse clubs discussing issuing refunds (or event credit) to families for cancelled practices and tournaments?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Give it 2 weeks or so, seems like a number of pro sports and NCAA power 5 (guarantee that SEC will announce football plans in next 2 weeks) are announcing plans to come back so I would assume other sports will fall in line. Also seems like there is a lot of momentum for states to open back up in some fashion - including your state of NJ which just announced that beaches are open on 5/22 which was quite a turnaround from position only last week. I suspect clubs will start a little later, manage smaller groups for practice and will have play dates with other clubs which is actually better - no need for tournaments.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”