Corona

HS Girls Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Corona

Post by Matnum PI »

Any word on what HSs around the country are doing? Temporary stops? Business as usual?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dr. Tact

Re: Corona

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 pm Any word on what HSs around the country are doing? Temporary stops? Business as usual?
No word yet in Northern Virginia, largest county (Fairfax) has a in service day on Monday that may be the decision date. With most of the Mid-Atlantic colleges thinking about closing for a while, it's likely to be a closure. Not sure if that would be a suspension or a cancellation for glax. I think it might be easier for high schools to stop and start than the colleges. So, who knows...
njbill

Post by njbill »

Two (Dulaney and Moorestown) of the four teams that had been scheduled to play at the Cape Henlopen scrimmage on Saturday have had to cancel because their schools are now not permitting out-of-state travel. I have heard of at least one interstate game (not scrimmage) that has been canceled. I suspect there will be more.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Just checked McDonogh’s schedule. Looks like their Florida trip was canceled.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

If HS lacrosse is also omitted, this whole experience will take on a new feeling for me. No lacrosse at all...
Caddy Day
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Here in NOVA, Fairfax County (largest in state with many top public lacrosse teams) originally banned out-of-state field trips until at least April 12 which cancelled several Florida spring break trips for teams. As of tonight, they have cancelled all sports until at least then as well. Right now that coincides with the end of Spring break, but it looks bleak for the season to start back up then. Girls are hoping they can salvage a truncated season or maybe just a state-wide tournament in late-April/May. Most schools got a couple of pre-season scrimmages in, with the regular season originally scheduled to start next week. But that may be all they get this year.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Now that things are starting to actual happen and resolve itself, I'm finally starting to actually think about what's happening/happened and... This is just unbelievably strange. There's a global virus so all lacrosse, NCAA D1, 2, and 3, men's and women's, NAIA, NJCAA, MCLA, WCLA, and, seemingly, HS Boys and Girls will all be cancelled. I (and I'm sure you all, too) spend the year enjoying life but February is the beginning of a good time of year. And then... Everything just stops? Just so strange. Yes, I know we can all say, These things happen! But... It's really strange.
Caddy Day
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

It’s devastating for the college players and hig school players and coaches. My dd was talking to her 2029 high school friends from around the country. They were crushed that they don’t get to play a game their senior year. It’s just like a bad dream.
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

2020 not 2029 hopefully this will be over by 2029. lol
njbill

Post by njbill »

Some school closings in Jersey (as elsewhere) which have caused scrimmages and some games to be canceled or maybe postponed. Some cancellations even if schools are still open.

Today is the first day scrimmages are permitted in NJ. We will see if any go forward in the coming days. Frankly, given the environment, I would be surprised if they do.
totc

Post by totc »

Right now, we have seen the closure of Los Angeles Unified, San Diego, and San Francisco (just by themselves; other lacrosse teams in Cali are already playing). Also, city schools in Seattle, Austin, Atlanta, Denver, and the District of Columbia.

We also have:
Ohio, Maryland, Oregon, New Mexico, Louisiana, Virginia, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania also closing for a minimum of two weeks.

Kentucky and New Jersey are next, I understand.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Burlington County, New Jersey schools are closed through April 17. The governor announced today that “long-term closures are inevitable” and said that announcement could come within a matter of days. I suspect similar, month-long, closures will be coming to the rest of the state.

I suppose, theoretically, if everything goes well, a partial season could be scrapped together, running from the end of April into May. Don’t know about playoffs. The NJSIAA has yet to issue its 2020 girls regulations. I imagine they are holding off because of all the uncertainty. When they finally put something out, I suspect they will address the remaining season in some fashion.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

I think the best you can hope for is an all star game or tournament for seniors from around the state. It would give them a chance to play and celebrate their accomplishments. Perhaps things will have quieted down enough by June so that this could be organized and take place.

I think hopes of an abbreviated season is just fantasy land.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

westcoastlax wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:43 pm I think the best you can hope for is an all star game or tournament for seniors from around the state.
especially for the girls who didn't shine as juniors but really should get a look as seniors. lacrosse is a ticket for many girls and to lose the chance to get that ticket is just wrong.
Caddy Day
totc

Post by totc »

As of Wednesday, 32 states and the District of Columbia will have some sort of school closure.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Which states, if any, are still playing HS lax?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I'm not aware of any, certainly not in the key states.

NJ is holding out hope of resuming the season, but I would charitably call that hope well below faint.
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

While it’s great for the college players to get additional eligibility. The 2020s once again get the short end of the stick. They lost their senior season,prom, high school senior traditions and probably their graduation. Now they are going to essentially have loaded rosters and never have a year in college that they will be a class of their own. Just like when the NCAA passed the early recruiting which the class of 20 got the raw deal on the D1 counsels action. Today the D1 counsel once again completely disregarded the 2020 class as well as the 21,22 & 23s.
Dr. Tact

Re: Corona and Summer Club Tourneys

Post by Dr. Tact »

IWLCA has canceled all 2020 OWLCA Recruiting Tournaments

https://www.iwlca.org/news_article/show/1101484

But, not so fast...Corrigan Sports has come back and said "the President's Cup is NOT cancelled . Stay tuned for additional information."

Sounds like what we have here is a failure to communicate..... ;) :oops:
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

I can’t figure this out. CSE and IWLCA are parting ways. IWLCA was set to cancel all tournaments even Presidents Cup seven months away. Will the coaches still come? My guess is the coaches association couldn’t be seen running a major tournament in this climate. But hopefully they will attend. What else are the kids supposed to do if there’s nothing until next summer?

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”