2020 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
totc

Re: 2020 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by totc »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:26 pm The Virginia governor has ordered all public schools closed for the rest of the year.

https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/coro ... -reported/
The thing is, I think every state in the Union will follow suit. Northam is an MD and knows what he's doing.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

At this point in the season the 2-1 or 3-0 Hornets would be preparing to play Centreville. The only blemish on their record may have come at the hands of Yorktown. But... given the contest would've been played at the Hornet's Nest I am giving the edge to the Hornets.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BlockedShot wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:36 pm At this point in the season the 2-1 or 3-0 Hornets would be preparing to play Centreville. The only blemish on their record may have come at the hands of Yorktown. But... given the contest would've been played at the Hornet's Nest I am giving the edge to the Hornets.
I think every team is undefeated at this point in the season.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Does that mean all teams are District Champions?
VALaxer

VHSL 2020-21 Sports seasons proposals

Post by VALaxer »

Hopefully everyone on this forum will weigh in with the VHSL against their proposed Model #2 for sports for the upcoming school year, which would suggest a cancellation of girls lacrosse for a second straight year by moving spring sports to fall, but then labeling lacrosse as too high risk to be played. Ironically, NFHS labels girls lacrosse as only moderate risk under the right conditions, same as many other spring sports. So the VHSL proposal doesn't even align with that.
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

Does anyone know what the private schools in the area are planning to do respect to lacrosse (and field hockey) for the upcoming season?
Dr. Tact

Re: VHSL 2020-21 Sports seasons proposals

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 am Hopefully everyone on this forum will weigh in with the VHSL against their proposed Model #2 for sports for the upcoming school year, which would suggest a cancellation of girls lacrosse for a second straight year by moving spring sports to fall, but then labeling lacrosse as too high risk to be played. Ironically, NFHS labels girls lacrosse as only moderate risk under the right conditions, same as many other spring sports. So the VHSL proposal doesn't even align with that.
Could you PM me with where I could do that? I hadnt heard that....dont know why we cant have it all. Even if Football/Field Hockey took the fields for one day a week, that would not book the fields every day at 7 PM. Surely there is a way to not punish a true Spring sport for the benefit of Fall Sports.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

That is absolutely criminal - putting aside the fact that WLax is probably pretty similar risk to soccer, there is no way they can't find room to play, F that. That's absurd.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

VHSL adopted Model 3 this morning. Lacrosee would run 4/12 - 6/26 undet the model, with contests able to start on 4/26. So there is a chance for a 2021 season....
VALaxer

Re: Outlook for 2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

VHSL's current proposal keeps alive a state tournament for 2021. :D

Regular season would have 9 games starting April 26th. Regional play starts June 14th and must wrap by June 19th. Teams would need to win their region to make the state semi-finals on June 22nd, with June 26th for the championship game. Top seeds would host as it stands now.
VALaxer

2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

It soon may be rime to dust off the thread creator for a 2021 Virginia Public GLAX thread. :idea:

With the cancellation of Woodson Fall Ball, it's good to see 2020-21 VA public squads getting out there in the McLean Box League this fall. Loaded with likely Top 10 teams in the state. Top high school division features teams from Dominion, Langley, Madison, Oakton, Yorktown, West Potomac, West Springfield, along with PVI and Riverside and a bunch of travel clubs. It's box and basically glorified rec games that don't mean much, but it is sure good to see after last Spring!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

Next up: Fall Brawl! Nov. 29th HS division.
Usual suspects I suppose?
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Fall Brawl looks loaded this year, but it doesn't seem like they are doing elite/open divisions or a championship due to COVID. Most of the top teams in VA are in it. Looks like: Dominion, Woodson, Madison, West Springfield, Oakton, Herndon, Robinson, Riverside, South County, West Potomac, Ireton, PVI and more. I probably missed a couple of other top ones signed up too, since they went away from school names this year. Should be a good day of top action. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

I hear Valentine's shootout is going to be a pre-season Shamrock Shootout next March 20th due to pushed spring sports start date. That's usually a strong field of top teams as well. Should be a good tune-up for the delayed 2021 season (since there are no scrimmages), which (hopefully) will be here before we know it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 am Fall Brawl looks loaded this year, but it doesn't seem like they are doing elite/open divisions or a championship due to COVID. Most of the top teams in VA are in it. Looks like: Dominion, Woodson, Madison, West Springfield, Oakton, Herndon, Robinson, Riverside, South County, West Potomac, Ireton, PVI and more. I probably missed a couple of other top ones signed up too, since they went away from school names this year. Should be a good day of top action. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
except at this point it is likely that no parents/friends or family will be able to watch....its OK to compete without masks, but people social distanced wearing masks is not.... from email from organizers....not blaming the organizers, but it is a stoopid rule....
First and most importantly, THE PLAYER CAN PLAY!! Nothing has changed with regards to recreational sports from a participation standpoint. As planned, we will be temperature-checking and screening ALL players, coaches, officials and staff on a daily basis when the enter the facility.

What has changed is the number of SPECTATORS that are allowed on a field. This has been reduced from 250 to 25. It's also important to keep in mind that the Fall Brawl's short fields (2 fields per full size field for 2020) means that only 12 people would technically be allowed per field.

In summary, the games will go on as planned for THE PLAYERS. The changes will affect the number of SPECTATORS allowed in the venue. It is very possible that ONLY players, coaches, officials and staff may be allowed in the venue. As many of you know, this is a policy that has started to emerge from various school districts as they prepare for the start of the winter sports season in December.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:09 am
VALaxer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 am Fall Brawl looks loaded this year, but it doesn't seem like they are doing elite/open divisions or a championship due to COVID. Most of the top teams in VA are in it. Looks like: Dominion, Woodson, Madison, West Springfield, Oakton, Herndon, Robinson, Riverside, South County, West Potomac, Ireton, PVI and more. I probably missed a couple of other top ones signed up too, since they went away from school names this year. Should be a good day of top action. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
except at this point it is likely that no parents/friends or family will be able to watch....its OK to compete without masks, but people social distanced wearing masks is not.... from email from organizers....not blaming the organizers, but it is a stoopid rule....
First and most importantly, THE PLAYER CAN PLAY!! Nothing has changed with regards to recreational sports from a participation standpoint. As planned, we will be temperature-checking and screening ALL players, coaches, officials and staff on a daily basis when the enter the facility.

What has changed is the number of SPECTATORS that are allowed on a field. This has been reduced from 250 to 25. It's also important to keep in mind that the Fall Brawl's short fields (2 fields per full size field for 2020) means that only 12 people would technically be allowed per field.

In summary, the games will go on as planned for THE PLAYERS. The changes will affect the number of SPECTATORS allowed in the venue. It is very possible that ONLY players, coaches, officials and staff may be allowed in the venue. As many of you know, this is a policy that has started to emerge from various school districts as they prepare for the start of the winter sports season in December.
While I agree with you in general, at some point rules need to be made to keep people as safe as possible. And while it is seemingly contradictory, it's hard to make rules with dozens and dozens of exceptions, because that leads to non-compliance. And we're having a hard enough time with compliance as is. I went to watch the final Saturday of games at VEL and that was maybe a 50/50 mask compliant crowd of spectators (maybe 70/30 mask? I'm guessing). At McLean Box for fall the 2-3 times I was there it seemed much closer to 95%+ masks, including spectators in the bleachers.

Given trends, I'm a little doubtful the Fall Brawl will even happen. So if it means no spectators, that's what has to happen at this point.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:02 pm While I agree with you in general, at some point rules need to be made to keep people as safe as possible. And while it is seemingly contradictory, it's hard to make rules with dozens and dozens of exceptions, because that leads to non-compliance. And we're having a hard enough time with compliance as is.
Yeah, you are right...I know it...i'm a "wear your mask everywhere" person, so I take responsibility for myself and others around me, but that isn't something you can assume for everyone.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Fall Brawl is in the TM app this year. Based on the divisions in the app, it looks like the Varsity Elite groupings include: PVI, Madison, Robinson, Dominion, Bishop O'Connell, Bishop Ireton, Woodson, West Springfield, Riverside and Oakton.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Fall Brawl was this past weekend. First chance for wide action for the 2020-2021 squads for a number of schools. No fans were allowed :( , but did get some reports from the Varsity Elite session last evening (Groups F and G if you are following on Tourney Machine).

No surprise as Ireton went 5-0, with Riverside and PVI giving them their biggest challenges.

Riverside and Dominion both looked strong and looked like the teams to beat this year in Class 5 and 4. Game of the night may have been Riverside beating Dominion in a braveheart. The Rams looked like they may have had most of their full squad out (deep bench), while others seemed to have more tournament teams for 7v7 format. May have helped the Rams a little last night with new COVID doubleheaders (back-to-back games) teams had to play this year with the shorter in-and-out format.

Class 6 teams (Robinson, Oakton, West Springfield, Woodson, Madison) were all generally very competitive, especially vs each other, with many games coming down to a goal or two. Good tournament by Robinson, with Madison maybe a step behind the others. Still, all looked like they could be in the mix come the Spring (hoping we have a Spring season), so it could be interesting with the shortened VHSL season and a number of contenders.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:23 am Fall Brawl was this past weekend. First chance for wide action for the 2020-2021 squads for a number of schools. No fans were allowed :( , but did get some reports from the Varsity Elite session last evening (Groups F and G if you are following on Tourney Machine).

No surprise as Ireton went 5-0, with Riverside and PVI giving them their biggest challenges.

Riverside and Dominion both looked strong and looked like the teams to beat this year in Class 5 and 4. Game of the night may have been Riverside beating Dominion in a braveheart. The Rams looked like they may have had most of their full squad out (deep bench), while others seemed to have more tournament teams for 7v7 format. May have helped the Rams a little last night with new COVID doubleheaders (back-to-back games) teams had to play this year with the shorter in-and-out format.
I believe that the Rams had two Varsity level teams and yes there were a lot of players. Robo Coaches will have a large pool to pick from assuming we have a 2021 season.Even though it wasn't supposed to happen, the Rams had a back-to-back-to-back, so the depth did help ;-)
VALaxer wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:23 am Class 6 teams (Robinson, Oakton, West Springfield, Woodson, Madison) were all generally very competitive, especially vs each other, with many games coming down to a goal or two. Good tournament by Robinson, with Madison maybe a step behind the others. Still, all looked like they could be in the mix come the Spring (hoping we have a Spring season), so it could be interesting with the shortened VHSL season and a number of contenders.
I was there and watched the Robinson games. Robinson versus Madison result was not as close as the game appeared to me. Madison was just missing passes on many tight cuts to crease attackers that would have leveled the game. Robinson versus Oakton was the end of a long day and I think both teams were ready to go home. Those three teams could have different results on any given day.

The 6v6 (field players), was a 4v4 on each side with 2 held back. That format was more like a box game with quick passes. This was very evident with Dominion as they consistently found the crease/GLE attacker on cross the fan passes. Very disciplined and very effective. While any chance to play is good, I prefer the full field 12v12 which can demonstrate/expose the depths of teams. Playing 4 strong middies/attacks on the O side of the small format can skew the eye test.

I would have liked to have seen the Woodson and West Spring teams.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”