2020 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: 2020 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by Dr. Tact »

FSUFan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:43 pm I just received the Valentine 7v7 schedule from my daughter's coach.
http://www.valentineshootout.com

There are some interesting matchups on Saturday. Now, granted, it's just a 7v7, so, you can't read too much into these games. Kind of intriguing to me, none the less.
This also signals that the start of the new season is right around the corner! 😀 Thank God!!
So, other than it being cold....anything to report?
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

A few observations from the Valentine's shootout today.

First, it was cold out. Thankfully no rain and not much wind.

Also, kudos to the organizers, as the snack bar was in mid-season form, with pulled pork sandwiches, chili, hot chocolate and more. Warm food on a cold day.

Varsity Elite teams were: Bishop Ireton (Jr/Srs), PVI (split squad), Bullis, West Potomac, Yorktown, Robinson, Dominion, Washington & Liberty, West Springfield, PVI (split squad), St Johns College, Leonardtown (MD).

In the Varsity Elite division, Ireton's Jr/Sr team met Dominion in the finals, with BI winning by 6 or 7. Both teams went 4-0 in pool play, with BI edging PVI's split squad on a goals against tie-breaker. Dominion, who didn't seem to have their full compliment, still rolled through pool play with wins over PVI (other half of split squad), Washington & Liberty, Leonardtown, and St. John's College.

As for the other VA publics in the varsity elite division, Yorktown, West Springfield and even Washington and Liberty seemed to acquit themselves well. Yorktown went 2-2, with wins over Robinson and Bullis, and somewhat competitive games vs PVI and BI's Jr/Srs. West Springfield went 2-2 with wins over Washington & Liberty and Leonardtown, and an overtime loss to PVI and a competitive loss to SJC. W&L went 1-3, but appeared competitive in losses to West Springfield, Dominion and PVI. Robinson edged West Potomac by one in head-to-head in the elite division, but neither seemed as competitive with the privates as the others.

In the varsity open division, probably the most interesting result was Atlee beating BI's (Fr/So) varsity team, which helped pave the way for them (Atlee) to win the varsity open division. (It seemed that the open division had a mix of full compliment teams, vs others who had teams with just their younger girls, while the older ones played in elite.)

Clearly it is still winter ball, and teams haven't had much coaching yet, and there definitely were teams without their full compliment of players, so I wouldn't try to read too much into the results.

One thing that is apparent is that many girls are still learning the free movement rule, those that get it will be able to take advantage early in season while those who don't adapt can get disadvantaged early on.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:00 pm A few observations from the Valentine's shootout today.

First, it was cold out. Thankfully no rain and not much wind.

Also, kudos to the organizers, as the snack bar was in mid-season form, with pulled pork sandwiches, chili, hot chocolate and more. Warm food on a cold day.

Varsity Elite teams were: Bishop Ireton (Jr/Srs), PVI (split squad), Bullis, West Potomac, Yorktown, Robinson, Dominion, Washington & Liberty, West Springfield, PVI (split squad), St Johns College, Leonardtown (MD).

In the Varsity Elite division, Ireton's Jr/Sr team met Dominion in the finals, with BI winning by 6 or 7. Both teams went 4-0 in pool play, with BI edging PVI's split squad on a goals against tie-breaker. Dominion, who didn't seem to have their full compliment, still rolled through pool play with wins over PVI (other half of split squad), Washington & Liberty, Leonardtown, and St. John's College.

As for the other VA publics in the varsity elite division, Yorktown, West Springfield and even Washington and Liberty seemed to acquit themselves well. Yorktown went 2-2, with wins over Robinson and Bullis, and somewhat competitive games vs PVI and BI's Jr/Srs. West Springfield went 2-2 with wins over Washington & Liberty and Leonardtown, and an overtime loss to PVI and a competitive loss to SJC. W&L went 1-3, but appeared competitive in losses to West Springfield, Dominion and PVI. Robinson edged West Potomac by one in head-to-head in the elite division, but neither seemed as competitive with the privates as the others.

In the varsity open division, probably the most interesting result was Atlee beating BI's (Fr/So) varsity team, which helped pave the way for them (Atlee) to win the varsity open division. (It seemed that the open division had a mix of full compliment teams, vs others who had teams with just their younger girls, while the older ones played in elite.)

Clearly it is still winter ball, and teams haven't had much coaching yet, and there definitely were teams without their full compliment of players, so I wouldn't try to read too much into the results.

One thing that is apparent is that many girls are still learning the free movement rule, those that get it will be able to take advantage early in season while those who don't adapt can get disadvantaged early on.
Thank you for the great report.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Just noticing that some schools play the minimum required games and others play the maximum allowed. It’d seem to promote parity if all schools played the same number of games. Also through the power of scheduling some play weaker out of conference opponents than others. Year after year this trend seems to stay relatively the same. That may explain why relatively few schools seem to get to the top. Just thinking out loud. :)
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Best Liberty District draw control team - Langley?
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

May be time to fire this forum back up with spring-like temps this week and preseason scrimmages getting underway. Langley plays Potomac tomorrow and Dominion and Herndon go at it Wednesday. A number of schools have playdays this weekend. What are people watching?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 am May be time to fire this forum back up with spring-like temps this week and preseason scrimmages getting underway. Langley plays Potomac tomorrow and Dominion and Herndon go at it Wednesday. A number of schools have playdays this weekend. What are people watching?
robinson has a play date with O'Connell.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Herndon v Dominion scrimmage last night. The snack bar was closed!

The scrimmage started with Herndon scoring three quick goals. Dominion quickly equalized the tally. At the half the score was 11-5. By then Herndon had suffered four yellow cards and had to play down a player for the rest of the game. The final score reflected this. Both coaches played their entire rosters which is what you'd expect for a scrimmage.

Biggest plus for Herndon was that their freshman goalie got to play the entire scrimmage. She continued to get more comfortable as the game went on and made numerous saves. Most impressive were the long distance clears.

Biggest take away for Dominion - they look poised to repeat as State Champs.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

March 9th action...
TC Williams v Patriot
Annadale v Edison
Freedom v Herndon
Westies v Colonial Forge

Feel free to pick 'em!
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Anyone have updates from any of the Saturday play-day scrimmages yesterday? Langley and Ireton were playing in one. I heard BI won, but don't have a report.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BlockedShot wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:15 am March 9th action...
TC Williams v Patriot
Annadale v Edison
Freedom v Herndon
Westies v Colonial Forge

Feel free to pick 'em!
3/11 Robinson hosts Riverside
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Gotta say, I really like how much more pleasant, helpful and informative this place is over the lacrosse section of DC Urban Moms.

Thanks to all of you for that!
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

I hear Sparty topped the Forge last night, 9-6, in a scrimmage of teams from the State 8 last year.
Dr. Tact

School status

Post by Dr. Tact »

So with all the NCAA leagues and colleges/universities shutting down, how long until our local counties close schools?

I know fairfax is taking Monday to plan....So answer me this if you can...how does a County the size of any NOVA county do remote learning for each class? What kind of bandwidth would be needed to have classes for each middle/high school working with a Webex or Zoom or other all day long. What a nightmare....and Ive got 3 HS/Colllege age kids which will all be home doing these virtual classes at the same time...Glad I have Fios Gigabyte, but wow, our internet infrastructure is going to be really tested.

On another note...Riverside "beat" Robo last night...9-9 at half, then I think Riverside opened up a 4 goal differential at the end. Maybe it was 3 or 6, I dont know....
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Sadly, with the NCAA season now done, I suspect the HS season is soon to be done before it is officially started. I feel bad for the seniors who will lose their senior season.

Best case may be a suspension with a truncated season in late Spring. Long term distance learning is going to tax many systems, so public schools may make it back to class at some point. At least hopefully things go well enough for that to happen, but I fear we will soon need the 2021 Virginia Public GLAX forum...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:34 pm Sadly, with the NCAA season now done, I suspect the HS season is soon to be done before it is officially started. I feel bad for the seniors who will lose their senior season.

Best case may be a suspension with a truncated season in late Spring. Long term distance learning is going to tax many systems, so public schools may make it back to class at some point. At least hopefully things go well enough for that to happen, but I fear we will soon need the 2021 Virginia Public GLAX forum...
VAL - This is so true...I was lamenting today's events with oldest (in college) and didnt give the youngest her time to mourn the loss of a season before it begins...I hope you are wrong, but I fear you are right.
Dr. Tact

All extracurricular activities in fairfax postponed

Post by Dr. Tact »

Email from Fairfax public schools indicates a postponement of all extracurricular activities (sports) until 4/12. Rumor is that school will be canceled after Monday for an unknown duration.
Dr. Tact

Re: All extracurricular activities in fairfax postponed

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:19 pm Email from Fairfax public schools indicates a postponement of all extracurricular activities (sports) until 4/12. Rumor is that school will be canceled after Monday for an unknown duration.
D just told me Fairfax County Schools are now closed for the academic year....anyone have a confirmation? I couldnt find anything on FCPS twitter.

End of GLAX before it even started. :cry:
njbill

Post by njbill »

The Virginia governor has ordered all public schools closed for the rest of the year.

https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/coro ... -reported/
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:26 pm The Virginia governor has ordered all public schools closed for the rest of the year.

https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/coro ... -reported/
well, shoot

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”