Fall semester plans

D3 Mens Lacrosse
westcoastlax

Fall semester plans

Post by westcoastlax »

It is now time to make plans for the fall. I am curious to hear what student-athletes are planning to do this fall. It seems like most are planning to be on campus (if open) despite the combination of online and in-person classes. I think the number of in-person classes offer will get smaller as we get closer to school opening dates. Fall practices are likely to be significantly limited as well.

Is your son or daughter planning to take the fall semester off?

Is your son or daughter planning to study remotely this fall?

Is your freshman son or daughter taking a gap year?
viper

Re: Fall semester plans

Post by viper »

MAC Conference is "all in" on fall sports (including fall lacrosse) at this point and my son (a sophomore) will be returning to "flex classes" in the fall (optional online, or in person) and living in an apartment off campus (dorms are mostly freshman only).
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

westcoastlax wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:23 pm It is now time to make plans for the fall. I am curious to hear what student-athletes are planning to do this fall. It seems like most are planning to be on campus (if open) despite the combination of online and in-person classes. I think the number of in-person classes offer will get smaller as we get closer to school opening dates. Fall practices are likely to be significantly limited as well.

Is your son or daughter planning to take the fall semester off?

Is your son or daughter planning to study remotely this fall?

Is your freshman son or daughter taking a gap year?
No
No
No

Son is a sophomore.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Liberty League closed of the fall.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

My son is an entering freshman. The answers are no,no, and no
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not specific to lax or even athletes but at Williams, with a classes of ~500 and enrollment 2000, 350 students are choosing to enroll remotely, 62 incoming freshmen are taking a gap year and 159 returning students are taking a personal leave for the fall. School’s offer was for everyone back on campus. Maybe 40% of classes are all remote, 40% hybrid and 20% just in person.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Middlebury:

"As of this week, approximately 50 percent of classes offered in the fall will be exclusively online, which is broadly consistent with our New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) peers. The remaining 50 percent will have a hybrid structure or will be taught in person. Students will be receiving more information about course registration soon.

To be clear, our online teaching will not in any way be inferior to in-person teaching. Our faculty are intensely committed to student learning and have been preparing with technological and instructional support this summer. "
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

westcoastlax wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:07 pm Middlebury:

"As of this week, approximately 50 percent of classes offered in the fall will be exclusively online, which is broadly consistent with our New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) peers. The remaining 50 percent will have a hybrid structure or will be taught in person. Students will be receiving more information about course registration soon.

To be clear, our online teaching will not in any way be inferior to in-person teaching. Our faculty are intensely committed to student learning and have been preparing with technological and instructional support this summer. "

To be clear, it sure as hell will be
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Correct. Translation: To be clear, our online teaching will not in anyway be lower in price when compared to our in-person teaching.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

viper wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:52 pm MAC Conference is "all in" on fall sports (including fall lacrosse) at this point and my son (a sophomore) will be returning to "flex classes" in the fall (optional online, or in person) and living in an apartment off campus (dorms are mostly freshman only).
WOMP WOMP........
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
lacrosseguy09

Post by lacrosseguy09 »

There will be no fall lacrosse this year.

Book it. In pen.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Daughter plays soccer in the ODAC, we were told by our school in late June early July we were going back to in person instruction in the fall. I told my wife as soon as fall tuition payments are paid they are going to switch to online, WHICH IN NO ONES UNIVERSE PROVIDES THE SAME RIGOR OR VALUE AS A RESIDENTIAL COLLEGE EXPERIENCE! Sure enough got the email late last week that they are delaying the start of academics and going online only for the first to weeks. I am sure most classes will be online only very quickly. Now they control the tuition, I fired off an email to the president asking how much tuition was going to be coming back to us....not holding my breath for a response. I'm the sucker because I could see that coming.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

My son chose to watch a lot of his med school lectures on line because he could control the pace and it was easier to keep up with note taking. I guess he could have attended in person for the "in person experience", then watched it again later, but I doubt he wanted to use that much time. Obviously labs and clinical classes have to be in person. I expect the colleges taking the hybrid approach are trying to do everything they can to maintain the college experience while keeping the students, faculty and staff as safe as possible. And families who think it's a rip off should take the year off.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Comparing medical school and college is like comparing apples and oranges. They are not the same. Medical school is about memorizing facts which quite often is quicker and more efficient moving at your own pace. A large percentage of medical students do not attend lectures for reasons you cited.

The college experience is much more than memorizing facts. There is much more of a back and forth exchange in college. In addition to learning material, one learns how to express their opinions and to engage with their peers. Very little of this occurs on line. If you are attending college to memorize facts, you are better off staying home and taking classes at your local community college.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Disagree. Completely...
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

ergit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 pm Disagree. Completely...
Spoken like a true college administrator. Gettysburg announces de-densifying this weekend ... another scam like so many other schools. Get kids back on campus for a couple weeks to try and justify their theft of the full tuition. Sell the college experience at full boat then send them home. Comical that they honestly say the virtual experience is still worth the full inflated price. What did these schools honestly think the kids would do once on campus, sit on their hands on their rooms for an entire semester? Clearly they haven't learned from the years of kids that were on campus before now. Criminal, simply criminal. I hope a bunch of these schools do go under for all of their false and misleading nonsense.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

My son is a Freshman at Goucher College in the Landmark Conference. His school along with Loyola and JHU decided to close the dorms for fall and only offer remote learning. So he is here at home in Vegas, 2400 miles from school taking all his classes online. Plan is to be back on campus the beginning of February. Team functions with weekly zoom meetings and weekly Academic meetings with Coaches. Was told the plan for spring is Conference games only and maybe a few local non conference games.
viper

Post by viper »

viper wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:52 pm MAC Conference is "all in" on fall sports (including fall lacrosse) at this point and my son (a sophomore) will be returning to "flex classes" in the fall (optional online, or in person) and living in an apartment off campus (dorms are mostly freshman only).
Just an update from my July post. In August flex went out the window and now only first year students (freshman, transfers, grad students) are permitted on campus. My son is in an off campus apartment taking classes online - and since upperclassmen are not allowed on campus, practices (outdoor only) has been restricted to first year students (on campus) only. Upperclassmen have been relegated to figure things out on their own with regard to play, practice, working out, etc.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”