Washington College 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LaxPundit07

Washington College 2021

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Both the President and Provost/Dean have announced their resignation today. President staying on until end of September (if necessary) even though contract ends this summer. Provost/Dean leaving June 30 but willing to stay on through September as well, if necessary.

This is not good.
veryoldgoose

Re: Washington College 2021

Post by veryoldgoose »

Speaking from experience, I do not think anyone in Chestertown is going to miss the Provost. There had been a significant groundswell for her removal for years and I think anyone who has any insight knows this move is for the better for the school. I will leave it at that.

Sad to see Kurt leaving, he was the first competent President in Chestertown in a decade. Not sure what happened behind the scenes, but I get the sense he was more protective of the current administration (see Provost above) and that led to friction with the board.

Washington College, like many liberal arts colleges, is facing an apocalyptic reckoning with financials and COVID. It would be smart for the new administration to finally re-prioritize men's lacrosse as it was under JB's tenure and the first four years of Shirk's leadership. Smart, frequently reasonably well-off, men's lacrosse players bring a lot to campus (by far the most revenue dollars in tuition amongst the College's sports, strong alumni with strong $$$ behind them, student-athletes from different geographic areas) that has been devalued by recent administrations and specifically a certain Provost.

Hopefully the new President recognizes the value of the lacrosse team in Chestertown and acts with that interest in mind, rather than against it. I see these two moves, on balance, to be a good thing for men's lacrosse and hopefully the school. There are other things going on in the background financially, but hopefully the college can focus on what it has traditionally been good at - strong liberal arts education and lacrosse.

Go Shore!
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I hope WC gets things straightened out. The CC needs them to be a great team as they once were to make a better conference.
GO BULLETS!
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Thanks for the comment VOG. Its really concerning seeing Landgraf go, I share your opinion of him..he balanced the budget, increased endowment, and was a pro sport president. I will say it is really poor timing to make this change. I don’t really have an opinion on the provost. Hopefully we will get some information on the direction the board is taking the school and why this was so necessary.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Agree Washfan, the loss of Kurt is not a positive on its own and is probably not great, but given the removal of the Provost, I think this will be viewed one day as neutral or slightly better for the school in the end. It sounds like they are looking for a temporary President for the next 12-18 months, which is not great because that is in the core period of making COVID related decisions. On the flipside, it is smart because it allows a fuller search by the Board for the correct person, given how many poor President choices were made in the past decade.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Haven’t heard much more other than it was a sudden dispute, and given the ferocity folks couldn’t backtrack. Immediate effect on Lax is nothing, long term unknown. Short term, Centennial Conference has to decide on fall ball, schedule requirements etc. One (of many) issues is that different schools and conferences are going to handle this differently based on attitudes and geography. I hear that Sewannee in the SAA, will go with Business as usual but with an early calendar so they Arrive 2 weeks early and leave at Thanksgiving, with normal fall ball etc. I have no idea if the NCAA will try to synchronize any of this. My guess is they continue to put in Min/Max boundaries and conferences will decide on fall ball, schedule requirements, travel, etc. At the academic level at all colleges, there is an amazing focus on the incoming freshman class. Now that they have yield numbers, they are hyper-focused on retention etc, so incoming freshman are at the top of the list. It will be interesting to see if this spills over to sports...
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Just noticed a new interim President for the Sho'men. Dr. Powell did a credible job in his last assignment. Smart man; PhD Mathematics. Tulane - so he knows the value of a party for students. WOTS, maybe not Mardi Gras but still a big deal for a lot of people.

Can anybody give us a bit of color on Dr. Powell and his selection? And what it might mean for WAC men's lax.
Finnlax35

Post by Finnlax35 »

Washington College is just another liberal arts college where athletes are fair game and poetry is promoted. Coach Shirk did his best to recruit, but has always been hampered by having to play the role of a mediator. Rough place to go and play lax.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Not sure why mods took down a bunch of our posts here about WAC leadership and presidents?

Anyway, a school in financial distress with a revolving door of leadership, an athletic director with no leadership experience, and a frustrated alumni network is not primed for success anytime soon. On some level I feel bad for Jeff. I am not sure he has done the best job there...but he also could have parlayed the final four run a few years ago into a better job. Now I believe he is stuck.

To think in 2010 this was a highly respected gig. Jeff along with Kevin Warne (Georgetown head coach) and Stan Ross (former Butler coach and Navy assistant) were finalists for the job...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I dont think you were moderated. I think Fanlax had a problem. It wiped a bunch of posts, including a bunch of innocuous posts about music and other stuff.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FYI...

We switched our Hosting Provider and during the transition, there was the inevitable hiccup when one house closes and the new house has yet to fully open while the new forum is propagating and some posts were (sort of) lost. (Not really lost, just in the old house and would need to be copy-and-pasted one at a time into the new house. i.e. A bit of a hassle and doesnt seem critical.) Just the nature of moving a forum. We apologize.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Any news on WAC commits?
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Per twitter:

Will Snook- A/M, Unionville (Pa), Philadelphia Freedom club
Nick Fasce- D, Kettle Run (Va), Cavalier Lacrosse Club
William Charvala- G, Newark Academy (DE), Black Widow Lacrosse Club
Shane Kirwan- D, Our Lady Good Counsel (MD), Zingos Lacrosse Club
Aiden Wilson- LSM, Douglas S. Freeman HS (VA), Amped Lacrosse Club

Sure there's more but that's what I was able to scrounge up in a quick search
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Hearing that Shoreman are continuing Fallball with a decent number of Players in person 20-25. Mainly the upperclassmen. I know this is a weird and unpredictable environment, but I view this a a good sign that at least some games will be played this spring.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Heard WAC landed a solid defenseman out of John Carroll. Conner Boyle. Big, tough kid. Good player. Nice pickup for the Sho'men.
formerwclaxer

Post by formerwclaxer »

Washington College recently posted their new 2021 roster. I noticed that one of the 2021 team captains named in the early Fall, Jeremy Wilson, is now not on their roster. He was probably their top returning offensive player. Anybody know what happened? I mean like dropped out, injured, transferred, no longer playing lax, etc. Further, they now list ZERO assistant coaches on the teamr. Back in 2019 they had 3 assistants and a grad volunteer. Last year they listed 2 assistants. What the heck in happening in Chestertown? I realize the pandemic is a major issue but zero assistants seems way out of line. Curiously enough, Salisbury lists 6 assistants. Wow.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

formerwclaxer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:45 pm Washington College recently posted their new 2021 roster. I noticed that one of the 2021 team captains named in the early Fall, Jeremy Wilson, is now not on their roster. He was probably their top returning offensive player. Anybody know what happened? I mean like dropped out, injured, transferred, no longer playing lax, etc. Further, they now list ZERO assistant coaches on the teamr. Back in 2019 they had 3 assistants and a grad volunteer. Last year they listed 2 assistants. What the heck in happening in Chestertown? I realize the pandemic is a major issue but zero assistants seems way out of line. Curiously enough, Salisbury lists 6 assistants. Wow.
WAC has an opening posted for Full-time senior assistant posted on multiple job sites
NCAA Marketplace
Glassdoor
Indeed

Not sure about the turnover but looks like they’re trying to make some moves...
Buzzard05

Post by Buzzard05 »

I believe Coach T. is the new strength and conditioning coach at WAC....not sure about Coach Cord.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

At one point, the men's lacrosse program (and women's lacrosse program) were endowed and this helped pay for two full time assistants and a graduate assistant.

Not sure if that is still in place. I know it survived the 2009 financial crisis, so I would be surprised if it had gone away now.

Alums received their first communication from Coach Shirk today since June 12th....

Sounds like he and the boys remain hopeful about a season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”