D3 Program and Schedule Status Updates

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JBFortunato

D3 Program and Schedule Status Updates

Post by JBFortunato »

I have been visiting these boards long enough to know that there are a number of folks contributing to the discourse here who could be considered "insiders" in the lacrosse world. And, there are many of us who are anxiously trying to calibrate whether D3 programs will be impacted by the COVID situation, and if so to what extent.
I would love to hear any rumors, news or insights that our "insiders" may have on programs, schedules, conference alignment, budget issues, etc. and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. I have seen a good bit of discussion here on fallout from COVID impacting D1 programs, and unfortunately almost none relating to D3 programs.
DeepPocket

Re: D3 Program and Schedule Status Updates

Post by DeepPocket »

I know (if only from twitter) that some DIII schools have only recently began availing the campus to allow the spring students to pick up their belongings.

Ithaca has announced that they will begin fall semester (in-person) late, in October. This is in stark contrast to Notre Dame’s early opening in August (football playing a role?)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... puses.html

I believe this will be the trickle out of info. When/how will fall semester begin? Spring SPORTS will be low priority, unless the books need balancing. And even then, I hardly imagine any lacrosse program -DIII or otherwise- facing potential cannibalization for cash will make such threats known before it is absolutely certain, for obvious reasons.

But yes, I’m with you. Some information would be nice.
Last edited by DeepPocket on Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

From what I've heard NESCAC schools are going to go back on time, with adjustments to in-person classes and living situations. Harvard said they are going back in the fall and it seems like every school in the Northeast just copies what they do in any situation like this.
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

The President of W&L was on TV last week stating they are going back on time and all classes will be on campus.

More detailed plans are expected the first couple of weeks of June.

Hope that happens.....
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

bighoss74 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm From what I've heard NESCAC schools are going to go back on time, with adjustments to in-person classes and living situations. Harvard said they are going back in the fall and it seems like every school in the Northeast just copies what they do in any situation like this.
I to see what the CAC schools do regarding housing. Most of the schools have fairly eclectic dorms, it’s not like big towels at State U. There isn’t exactly room off campus at most of them to put a bunch of kids up if, for instance, they try to reduce the number of students per floor or suite. Everyone is flying blind at this point.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:56 pm
bighoss74 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm From what I've heard NESCAC schools are going to go back on time, with adjustments to in-person classes and living situations. Harvard said they are going back in the fall and it seems like every school in the Northeast just copies what they do in any situation like this.
I to see what the CAC schools do regarding housing. Most of the schools have fairly eclectic dorms, it’s not like big towels at State U. There isn’t exactly room off campus at most of them to put a bunch of kids up if, for instance, they try to reduce the number of students per floor or suite. Everyone is flying blind at this point.
Housing is probably gonna be different at each school, but challenging for everyone. Tougher to shuffle around 5,000 kids than 1,800.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:41 pm I have been visiting these boards long enough to know that there are a number of folks contributing to the discourse here who could be considered "insiders" in the lacrosse world. And, there are many of us who are anxiously trying to calibrate whether D3 programs will be impacted by the COVID situation, and if so to what extent.
I would love to hear any rumors, news or insights that our "insiders" may have on programs, schedules, conference alignment, budget issues, etc. and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. I have seen a good bit of discussion here on fallout from COVID impacting D1 programs, and unfortunately almost none relating to D3 programs.
Not an insider, but I've spoken to someone who might be considered an insider....

I'm hearing a lot of cost cutting measures being considered/taken that will impact schedules and seasons. Namely reduction in travel - eliminating long trips (e.g., spring break trips) and scheduling non-conference games against in-state or bordering state opponents to eliminate over night stays. Also hearing a possible reduction in total number of games scheduled (maybe only 10 to 14 game regular season) and reducing the size of the conference tournament field. Some conferences may eliminate the conference tournament all together.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Division 2 made sweeping changes the other day, universally cutting maximum number of games allowed for all sports: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... r-contests

Lacrosse cut down to a max of 13 games.

I like that they (NCAA) made a division wide policy. D3 is so varied between haves and have nots, that leaving it up to schools and conferences will make that gap even larger. Hopefully D3 makes a similar nation wide policy. Conferences can do what they want with tournaments, but capping everybody's regular season at 12 or 13 would be a good move by the NCAA.
remote

Post by remote »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am Division 2 made sweeping changes the other day, universally cutting maximum number of games allowed for all sports: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... r-contests

Lacrosse cut down to a max of 13 games.

I like that they (NCAA) made a division wide policy. D3 is so varied between haves and have nots, that leaving it up to schools and conferences will make that gap even larger. Hopefully D3 makes a similar nation wide policy. Conferences can do what they want with tournaments, but capping everybody's regular season at 12 or 13 would be a good move by the NCAA.
THIS WOULD BE A BAD MOVE!
Take games away from lacrosse players who already lost a season. I think it should be a schools decision. And any Nationwide decisions should definitely not be 12 or 13 games. Go to 15 Games if anything. The NCAA committee needs the data of more games to pick the championship field.

D2 schools are MUCH different than D3 schools. D2 made this decision because their membership was about to shrink so they made drastic changes to all sports in order to save the memberships.

Finally, it is usually the "have nots" who complain in these situation. Let the "Haves" do their thing.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

I agree to disagree.

While I'm usually one to gets tired of the "have nots" holding back the "haves" - NCAA tournament roster size limit is one example that comes to mind- I'm in the belief that NCAA D3 will rely on conference and member dues now more than ever since there's no March madness TV money trickling down the NCAA financial totem pole and the financial crisis we're finding ourselves in will take a way a lot of the extra money NCAA can push towards D3 sports.

While membership dues do not make up a big percentage of total NCAA revenue on a given year; I think it will be crucial for the NCAA to take steps that keep D3 athletics viable and affordable at the majority of their membership schools (400+) and conferences (40+). More member schools and conferences = more dues. If cutting every playing season by 20% keeps 100 schools from having to cut sports, jobs, and entire athletic programs; then i think it'll be the decision the NCAA will end up making.

Also keep in mind that the limit would only be for regular season games. In 2019 Tufts went 19-2, making the NCAA Quarterfinals. They only played 15 regular season. Conferences that want to add a game could move from 4 (or6)team playoffs to 8 teams (like the NESCAC does).

I'm not saying I will like this news when it happens, but I think it's inevitable. Hopefully I'm wrong (I've been wrong a lot on here)
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

I hear you. However, I'm not so sure that dropping 2-3 reg season games will have a huge budget impact and save programs at the D3 level. I agree that travel overall is a large line item that drives away game expense. However, dropping 20% may not be a huge cost savings. Most teams have away games that are regional/local and are day bus trips.(bus charter costs approx $150/hr) If they had the occasional overnights that were out of conference, my guess is those will become local trips in 2021 to keep costs in line. A day bus round trip plus food for the team and film crew is generally way less than $5k all in. If you assume that 2 of the 3 games are away you are talking about saving $10K. (Not to mention that bus companies will probably do deals to hold onto charter business in light of potential lost revenue). Home games don't cost much for the host. Let's be even more conservative and say cancelling 3 reg season games saves upwards of $20K. That's still not a huge driver. The variable costs are low if handled correctly.

Yes, all athletic budgets will be impacted and lacrosse is not immune. Belt tightening is going to be tighter. I do know that for some schools, Fall ball scrimmages may be abbreviated to save money and protect regular season games. Other budget drivers like new uniforms, equipment and spring break trips are being reevaluated as are coaching staffs. Parent and alumni networks are being engaged at a more deep level. Forcing a mandatory reduction in games to me, doesn't solve the issue. Does it really matter if one team has 15 reg season games and other teams have 13 games? It seems to happen organically anyway. I believe programs should be free to manage their topline and expenses to balance the budget by whatever means necessary. I'd rather not see the NCAA drop the hammer by mandating a reduction in regular season games as I don't believe it will have a material impact for D3 lax.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

A reduction in number of scheduled games is going to be coming across the board for all D3 sports. How many it will be for each sport is to be determined, probably anywhere from 10-20%, just depends on how the math works for each sport.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

thescottharris wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm A reduction in number of scheduled games is going to be coming across the board for all D3 sports. How many it will be for each sport is to be determined, probably anywhere from 10-20%, just depends on how the math works for each sport.
I have heard this will be happening for all sports for D3 and at the h/s level in at least NJ.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 am
thescottharris wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm A reduction in number of scheduled games is going to be coming across the board for all D3 sports. How many it will be for each sport is to be determined, probably anywhere from 10-20%, just depends on how the math works for each sport.
I have heard this will be happening for all sports for D3 and at the h/s level in at least NJ.
D2 has already done it. Don't know if that has been discussed on here yet, never go to the D2 board.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

DIII reduced the number of required contests to be eligible for postseason to 7 for men’s and women’s lacrosse.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... d-contests
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

It will be interesting to see how this gets executed at the school and league level. Like D2, it's a 33% reduction in minimum games required to allow for compliance flexibility. However, D2 also introduced a new maximum number of games (for lacrosse-13) to ensure a somewhat even playing field next year and reduce the potential gap between teams

In D3 it seems there is no concurrent reduction in the maximum allowed for the reg season. (Unless I missed something) Most D3 lax programs play an avg. 15 game reg season schedule. This new rule gives the ADs air cover to reduce an avg season by over 50% to 7 games and still be ncaa compliant. (Btw can you imagine being a football player and being told your normal reg season of 10 games may only be 5 games?...). I know many will say that at least there is the flex for a season to happen. I get it. However, this could get ugly fast for many schools. Imagine if credit hour compliance and professor hours were reduced while still taking tuition, room, board increases? Eager to understand which schools find the best way thru this for their students and student/athletes.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Geez, there were some colleges who played 10 games in the spring and all those kids got an extra year of eligibility... if they cap the number of games to 10, should all the kids get ANOTHER year of eligibility? The NCAA wants to leave certain things to the schools but then will turn around and cap the number of games? What if two schools within close distance wants to play a game? What's the financial harm in allowing that? Yea, fine, i get not having schools flying to games and incurring hotel costs, but local games should be ENCOURAGED

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”