D3 Seniors entering the transfer portal

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Goldenboy

D3 Seniors entering the transfer portal

Post by Goldenboy »

I've only seen a few so far but I thought it'd be pretty cool to see where these D3 studs end up. Showing everyone that D3 can play just as well as D1

Otto Bohan (Wesleyan)
Jimmy McAfee (Amherst)
Brendan Hoffman (Williams)
Mitch Wykoff (Gettysburg)
Jon Coffey (Amherst)
Peter Pitroff (Deninson)
Michael McCormack (Middlebury)
Colin Minicus (Amherst)

Wonder if we'll see any guys out of the ODAC or CAC
Laxxal22

Re: D3 Seniors entering the transfer portal

Post by Laxxal22 »

Nice article. I find the DIII angle of the portal fascinating. Sean Penney, the dmid out of Wesleyan is a unique prospect. Only a junior, a two-sport athlete, and coming from the NESCAC. He could be a candidate to end up at an Ivy or Patriot League school with the plan to take another two years to finish undergrad - assuming that loophole exists. To give the young man some credit, perhaps he's on track to finish Wesleyan early and go directly into a two-year grad program. 

Overall I wonder how many DIII guys will end up getting pursued. I'm sure all the guys in that article would blend in on most DI rosters, but to get any sort of recruitment from the portal DIII guys will need the potential to stand out.

I think guys in the following categories will get attention. Two-sport standouts (like Penney). Guys from big time high school programs who had significant D1 attention (like Minicus coming out of Darien), and guys who dominated DIII with unique physical attributes (like Hoffman). Sorry to use all NESCAC guys, but just an easy way to demonstrate the following point - "He had a great DIII career..." will need a second clause like "and he was a nice DIII running back/was dominant in the FCIAC/is 6'6" with a hammer of a shot righty and lefty" to give D1 coaches more confidence that a guy can thrive when he goes up a level, not just add depth. 

I've mentioned in other threads that some of the DIII guys may not be actively courted, but if they have the grades to get into a grad program could end up having a preferred walk on/"If you get in and show up in the fall, you'll make the team unless it's obvious you can't hang" conversation with coaches.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Interesting tweet I saw immediately after posting that.

Unnamed Source: @JAX_MLAX has reached out to multiple D3 studs in the transfer portal. Particularly, centennial conference studs. See @dkaplan46 article today in @Inside_Lacrosse for D3 players in portal. Fun Fact, @JAX_MLAX has legendary away team accommodations, per source. https://twitter.com/LacrosseInside2/sta ... 0688023558
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

a lot of these guys were recruited d1 out of HS and chose a better education path in many cases. Lets be honest, these top tier d3 schools are could compete well with bottom half to third of D1. There will be options to step in and contribute. The question remains, can they find an academic fit, how could they fit into 12.6 scholarships (incoming freshman have already sign NLI so no extra money) and whether they can afford a full pay.

Ivies are off the table.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

https://twitter.com/LacrosseInside2/sta ... 2567387136

"Player of note" from the Inside Lacrosse article Cole Pellicano, goalie from Dickinson, will be taking his 5th year at DII Mercyhurst.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Just me or a ton of guys from Denison?? Seemed interesting is all.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Trio of Tufts All Americans entered the portal per Chris Jastremski: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6913733637

Matt Treiber (A, Tufts)
Nick Shanks (M, Tufts)
Jack Donohue (D, Tufts)
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm Trio of Tufts All Americans entered the portal per Chris Jastremski: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6913733637

Matt Treiber (A, Tufts)
Nick Shanks (M, Tufts)
Jack Donohue (D, Tufts)
The above all graduating seniors ... altho I thought Triebs had a job lined up. In any event, if a kid wants to delay adulthood by a year or so, no problem by me. I know a 6-8 or so guys, including from some really good schools, that chased pro hockey for a year or three in the minors or in Europe knowing there was no real future in it before entering the real work force or going to grad school.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Certainly understand pushing off the real world for a year especially when the year is gonna be pretty surreal. Also for guys who chose top level DIII and excelled in the setting, the itch to see how their game translates to D1 has to be pretty strong. The next few classes will get to scratch it while still having the undergrad experience they preferred. The window for competitive athletics is small, and college lacrosse is still the sport's pinnacle imo. If someone will give you another go, then go for it.
viper

Post by viper »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:50 am Certainly understand pushing off the real world for a year especially when the year is gonna be pretty surreal. Also for guys who chose top level DIII and excelled in the setting, the itch to see how their game translates to D1 has to be pretty strong. The next few classes will get to scratch it while still having the undergrad experience they preferred. The window for competitive athletics is small, and college lacrosse is still the sport's pinnacle imo. If someone will give you another go, then go for it.
As the parent of a current DIII player (not a senior), I get your point. But when tuition, room and board for another year tops 70K and they might have to borrow a portion (or more) of that - they have to consider whether the debt is really worth it. Easier decision if you have academic and need based coverage for most of that or if you can just afford to pay out of pocket. However, most students fall somewhere in the middle.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Indeed. Between cost, number of roster spots, and finding the right grad program I bet the number of guys who actually take the year will probably be quite small. The curiosity and desire to explore options are totally understandable though and entering the portal is an easy step to see what's out there. If there's interest from coaches then it's time to start asking some tougher questions.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

I think you're correct. These kids have had the proverbial "rug ripped out from under them". They're understandably upset and emotional and want to explore options to get back what's been taken from them. So they enter the portal to see what exactly those options could be. Some will have more than others.... some may not have many, if any at all. It costs nothing to investigate it .. and it's still raw. These kids would be most likely getting ready only now for their annual rivalry game and or senior day. Conference tournaments wouldn't even have started. They want to see if they can hold on. Only natural and their absolute right.

But I think once graduation occurs (in whatever form that might be) and we put more distance from the shock season ending, many of these players will decide to move on. Even perhaps the most talented of them because the hard part only begins when you've identified a potential fit. Application process and financial framework!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 pm Matt Chlastawa in the transfer portal as a grad transfer.
From the NESCAC thread. At this point you could come pretty close to fielding a competitive DI team just with the DIII guys in the portal.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Inside Lacrosse ranked the DII/DIII guys in the portal.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yers/56394
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Looks like Syracuse lacrosse has found a replacement to help fill in for departing All-American defender Nick Mellen.

According to Inside Lacrosse, Mitch Wykoff is transferring to SU from Division III Gettysburg. Wykoff is the No. 2-ranked prospect in Inside Lacrosse’s list of Division II and III players entering the transfer portal. Wykoff is a senior who will have an added year of eligibility because of the NCAA’s waiver for spring sports athletes whose seasons were cut short by the coronavirus.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Wycoff is a dominant defender. Reminds me of Joe Lisicky who transferred from Lynchburg to UVA in 2014 and had an outstanding season. Same height, weight and aggressive style of play. All the best to Mitch; your former teammates and D 3 opponents will be rooting for you to get that ring with the Orangemen.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Jack Donohue and Matt Treiber of Tufts are both returning to the Jumbos for a grad year. Should we just schedule the Tufts - Salisbury Memorial Day match up now?
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Sounds about right ...
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Furman disbanding their program and 30 guys entering the transfer portal could effect DIII. I'm guessing from a talent perspective that they would have been a top 10ish DIII team, and probably a good number of those guys in the portal won't find DI homes and will end up bolstering some strong DII/DIII squads.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”