COVID19 season cancellations

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Empirelaxer

COVID19 season cancellations

Post by Empirelaxer »

Amherst and Skidmore have suspended their spring sports as a result of the Coronavirus. Who else?
DeepPocket

Re: COVID19 season cancellations

Post by DeepPocket »

Amherst is out? Stand by, gotta change my poll...
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Empirelaxer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:56 pm Amherst and Skidmore have suspended their spring sports as a result of the Coronavirus. Who else?
you sure? skidmore women just played stevenson tonight.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 pm Amherst is out? Stand by, gotta change my poll...
amherst has a pause but not season over. i don't think.
Caddy Day
Empirelaxer

Post by Empirelaxer »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:02 pm
Empirelaxer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:56 pm Amherst and Skidmore have suspended their spring sports as a result of the Coronavirus. Who else?
you sure? skidmore women just played stevenson tonight.
See last bullet point: https://www.skidmore.edu/covid19/messag ... essage.php
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

exactly. suspended.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

... which is what empire said. :oops:
Caddy Day
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

From the D 1 Forum:
Maryland Governor has banned out of State travel for State employees. Lot of coaches and and staffs fall see that. The news did not report exceptions for sports but tv news wouldn’t probably get into that level of detail so maybe but.....
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

The over reaction and hysteria surrounding this virus (flu virus nothing more) is crazy. If you have COPD, CHD, severe asthma, over 70, etc., you are at risk. Otherwise according to all I have read you may not even know you were exposed. I remember playing at Georgetown in the early 80's they had a turf field on top of a parking garage or some type of thing that had poor drainage. Their trainer came thru out locker room before the game and told our trainer that if anyone gets a turf burn to treat it aggressively because they were having problems with staph from the water sitting down in the turf that could not drain. The water sat at the bottom of the turf and basically turned the field into an incubator. Ah the good old days!
GO BULLETS
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

A lot of schools are getting nervous based off of Amherst's decision. Apparently a priest in DC contracted the virus and shook around 500 people's hands in DC. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of these Mid Atlantic schools start to shut down as well.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

A lot of schools are getting nervous based off of Amherst's decision. Apparently a priest in DC contracted the virus and shook around 500 people's hands in DC. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of these Mid Atlantic schools start to shut down as well.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Laxdds wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:25 am The over reaction and hysteria surrounding this virus (flu virus nothing more) is crazy. If you have COPD, CHD, severe asthma, over 70, etc., you are at risk. Otherwise according to all I have read you may not even know you were exposed. I remember playing at Georgetown in the early 80's they had a turf field on top of a parking garage or some type of thing that had poor drainage. Their trainer came thru out locker room before the game and told our trainer that if anyone gets a turf burn to treat it aggressively because they were having problems with staph from the water sitting down in the turf that could not drain. The water sat at the bottom of the turf and basically turned the field into an incubator. Ah the good old days!
GO BULLETS
Please try to be accurate about the reasoning behind this. The aggressive response is not because people are worried about 19-22 year old student athletes dying or something crazy like that. It is because they:

1. are worried that people whose immune systems are capable of handling the virus (aka college athletes) could nevertheless be responsible for transmitting it to people whose immune systems are not
2. want to slow the spread of the virus in general.

The more people get the virus, the faster it spreads, and the more likely it is that it spreads to people who are at risk of serious health complications or death. I am frustrated that athletics (which seemingly invoke zero of the concerns that colleges have about their student bodies as a whole) are at risk here, but this is not a normal situation.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Well put ah23, people need to check their cavalier attitudes at the door. My wife is a first responder, and she'd be the first to say panic benefits no one. But not taking the spread of coronavirus seriously is just plain ignorant.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I certainly understand and agree with all of that. I think you can take the virus seriously by using good flu hygiene practices, hand washing a lot, coughing sneezing into elbow etc., without succumbing to hysteria and panic. I'm not an epidemiologist and unless I have missed something the CDC has not yet recommended actions such as cancelling public activities. My personal opinion cancelling those types of activities prematurely feeds panic.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Laxdds wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:25 am The over reaction and hysteria surrounding this virus (flu virus nothing more) is crazy. If you have COPD, CHD, severe asthma, over 70, etc., you are at risk. Otherwise according to all I have read you may not even know you were exposed. I remember playing at Georgetown in the early 80's they had a turf field on top of a parking garage or some type of thing that had poor drainage. Their trainer came thru out locker room before the game and told our trainer that if anyone gets a turf burn to treat it aggressively because they were having problems with staph from the water sitting down in the turf that could not drain. The water sat at the bottom of the turf and basically turned the field into an incubator. Ah the good old days!
GO BULLETS
This virus is no joke for the boomer generation and anyone with a compromised immune system, which includes a lot of people who are younger than the boomers. And I would make an educated guess that when someone gets in their 70s and older, chances are good they have a compromised immune something in some capacity, may not be something life threatening on its own but could just be something like high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

Of the confirmed cases, has 14.8% kill rate for people 80+-year-olds and 7.8% for 80-79-year-olds. If it gets widespread to those folks, that's going to be a lot of damn people dying.
TakesNotice

Post by TakesNotice »

I agree with your thought Laxdds. Certainly even one death is too many, however should we keep in mind that these numbers are for the most part prior to any common sense preventative measures. Why not give that a try first before we shut down every education system, business, church, and the like? Should we have concern yes, but panic, I’m not so sure? Just seems a bit premature to me.
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

Add F&M to the list (at least partially for now) - just received a note from the president banning any school related travel (including athletics) until 3/31
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

NESCAC presidents are scheduled to conference tomorrow afternoon. They will come up with a collective agreement, unanimously pass it, and announce it. They well may follow Amherst and essentially close the campuses for the rest of the spring, and cancel all sports.

Middlebury announced today that the campus will close Friday, a week before spring break was to start. Classes will resume remotely, two weeks later. They will reevaluate things in Mid-April. All sports activity, including an practice and games are suspended until further notice. That notice could be a cancellation of the spring.

I posted in the NESCAC thread. Closing down a campus of 2000 or more students and 1000 or so employees is not an easy decision. Not every student has a great home situation to return to. Roughly a quarter of the students are international students. Studying remotely, on line, sounds easier than it may be.

The safe choice is to close it down. Not easy to implement, though.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I am in no way trying to diminish the severity of this virus, but why now, why with this one? These are the stats for the "regular flu" from the CDC website:

"CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."
Shouldn't we have been concerned about spreading the flu to those people?

I have said enough I am going to watch the ND/Ohio State Game on BTN...it might be the last game I see for awhile!
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Laxdds wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:53 pm I am in no way trying to diminish the severity of this virus, but why now, why with this one? These are the stats for the "regular flu" from the CDC website:

"CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."
Shouldn't we have been concerned about spreading the flu to those people?
We've learned a lot in 10 years. The 2009 H1N1 flu strain created a massive stress on our health care system that winter/spring which we didn't anticipate and really got lucky it was seasonal and died off in the summer. Nonetheless, that fall it led to over 700 school closing in the US (and game cancellations) and a national emergency being declared even with an approved vaccination in the market. So we got lucky with H1N1, it was seasonal and we got a working vaccination ready in time for fall. If just one of those things doesn't happen with the Coronavirus and we don't take measures to contain it then our health care system will be debilitated, which will kill people who dont even get the virus and cost us trillions.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”