LAXDonkey

Re: COVID19 season cancellations

Post by LAXDonkey »

Things are looking good for all the players getting another year eligibility

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... -athletes/
smmtiger

Post by smmtiger »

LAXDonkey wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:36 pm Things are looking good for all the players getting another year eligibility

As Lee Corso likes to say, "Not so fast, my friend." The articles plainly stated, NCAA Division 1 athletes; so where does this leave D3 athletes. In my opinion, just another example of how the NCAA can't get out of it's own way. Giving D1 athletes another year opens a Pandora's Box of issues, vis-a-vis allocating scholarship dollars. It would have been more simple to extend it starting at D3, where in theory, everyone is paying to play.
TopShelf

Post by TopShelf »

Nothing But Net wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 pm Novel idea, but most kids will be doing internships and many will start their new lives as full time tax payers. Or at least, we hope. After paying more than $80,000.00 a year for my kids colleges education , it’s time to think about joining the beer leagues and getting off the old man’s payroll
$80k? Seriously?
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

TopShelf wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm
Nothing But Net wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 pm Novel idea, but most kids will be doing internships and many will start their new lives as full time tax payers. Or at least, we hope. After paying more than $80,000.00 a year for my kids colleges education , it’s time to think about joining the beer leagues and getting off the old man’s payroll
$80k? Seriously?
Actually, $80,167.00
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

Nothing But Net wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm
$80k? Seriously?
Actually, $80,167.00
Before financial aid no doubt...... I am sure you were like everyone else paying 15K at the most per semester......
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
Nothing But Net

MarloStanfield09 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm
$80k? Seriously?
Actually, $80,167.00
Before financial aid no doubt...... I am sure you were like everyone else paying 15K at the most per semester......
Financial Aid, LOL ....Not in the NESCAC, that's a Unicorn Concept that is floated but has no existence at all. Over my kids runs, unless you have 5 Kids in College and have a dependent mother living with you. Only then, maybe you get a $10k break, not much more than that.... not on the Lax Team atleast.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

[/quote]

Financial Aid, LOL ....Not in the NESCAC, that's a Unicorn Concept that is floated but has no existence at all. Over my kids runs, unless you have 5 Kids in College and have a dependent mother living with you. Only then, maybe you get a $10k break, not much more than that.... not on the Lax Team atleast.
[/quote]

No way that’s the case. Most NESCACS meet full need. They don’t give you scholarship but if your EFC says you should bat $25k you go to NESCAC for $25k. A family with 2 in college that makes 150-200,000 probably has a EFC of $25,000....and that’s what they pay.
TakesNotice

Post by TakesNotice »

Nothing But.... we had 5 children go though college. Not much support for us either but we looked at it much differently. Nobody owes us aide because we have so many children or because we don’t make a certain income; we chose to have those children, nobody else. Together we found the fit that worked for them, academics, financials, socials, and then planned for the best. That included athletic, academic, and other financial support where we could find it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that when we buy a shoe, we look for one that fits our foot, we don’t expect the shoe to adjust to our foot. Maybe in this case we may need to consider a different shoe.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

We currently have a game between St. Mary's MD and McDaniel going on at the moment...are there other games that are being played this weekend?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

smmtiger wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm
LAXDonkey wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:36 pm Things are looking good for all the players getting another year eligibility

As Lee Corso likes to say, "Not so fast, my friend." The articles plainly stated, NCAA Division 1 athletes; so where does this leave D3 athletes. In my opinion, just another example of how the NCAA can't get out of it's own way. Giving D1 athletes another year opens a Pandora's Box of issues, vis-a-vis allocating scholarship dollars. It would have been more simple to extend it starting at D3, where in theory, everyone is paying to play.
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. As expected, D3 Spring athletes get another year of eligibility. I believe only a very small percentage of players at the D3 level will actually take the NCAA up on their offer but it is there if they so desire.

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/ncaa- ... s-concerns
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 am
smmtiger wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. As expected, D3 Spring athletes get another year of eligibility. I believe only a very small percentage of players at the D3 level will actually take the NCAA up on their offer but it is there if they so desire.

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/ncaa- ... s-concerns
Could be a real boon for the schools with graduate programs.
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

Nothing But Net wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:01 pm
$80k? Seriously?
Actually, $80,167.00
I said Financial Aid in regards to each college's aid package. I didn't say FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID in which you are referring to...... I having worked in admissions for a small college if you paid 80 K then you are indeed a poor consumer and they saw you coming... Just a thought, don't cry about a poor decision when you had a choice in the decision!
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
Nothing But Net

MarloStanfield09 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 pm
Nothing But Net wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:01 pm
$80k? Seriously?
Actually, $80,167.00
I said Financial Aid in regards to each college's aid package. I didn't say FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID in which you are referring to...... I having worked in admissions for a small college if you paid 80 K then you are indeed a poor consumer and they saw you coming... Just a thought, don't cry about a poor decision when you had a choice in the decision!
I'm not crying at all nor do I think I wasted my money, Just the opposite..., just stating the facts. 95% of the Lax parents in this conference share the same shoe that I'm in and we all are aware of how much the investment is when we make this choice, but that is what it is … An Investment!
The connection and networks with in the NESCAC are tremendous, the link into the Ivy’s is strong as well. You’re not just buying and education your buying a lifetime opportunity for your child.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

I just read an interesting take on having this cancelled season play out on all levels in the fall. The thought was having the seniors that wanted to return, do it sooner than waiting a year and this would have no domino effect for years to come. The incoming freshman would get much needed experience in practice and would not play.. anyone else see or hear anything about this.. Thoughts?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I’m just about done posting this spring because I can’t take it anymore with so many high school boards taking about how their schools are only closed until April 24 and so how much season they can get in and how many college boards talking about their seniors coming back. Last time. High schools are closed through the rest of the year. It is very possible the will be NO NFL this fall, let alone high school football. There is literally 0 chance any of your high schools, at least in the northeast and 99% in the rest of the country open this spring. We are in a doomsday pandemic (or at least in the response to one and at this level it doesn’t matter which one it is valid). NO ONE is playing high school lax this spring, be thankful if you can fricking eat. Colleges, the NCAA giving a 5th year of athletic eligibility DOES NOT give your kids a 5th year of academic college eligibility. Unless they are behind the curve or they dropped out early this spring they ARE GRADUATING! They cannot just “do” a 5 year as an undergrad, whatever the hell their lacrosse eligibility. You can’t just graduate and then do another year of undergrad sports, regardless of how many years of sports eligibility you have left. All student are now up a year as students, all of them! If, when they graduate and they are allotted an extra year of ATHLETIC, eligibility they can find a graduate program, fine. But good fricking lord, enough, no one is getting an extra year of college, you can’t graduate undergrad and then just “stay on” to use your extra athletic eligibility year.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30 pm I’m just about done posting this spring because I can’t take it anymore with so many high school boards taking about how their schools are only closed until April 24 and so how much season they can get in and how many college boards talking about their seniors coming back. Last time. High schools are closed through the rest of the year. It is very possible the will be NO NFL this fall, let alone high school football. There is literally 0 chance any of your high schools, at least in the northeast and 99% in the rest of the country open this spring. We are in a doomsday pandemic (or at least in the response to one and at this level it doesn’t matter which one it is valid). NO ONE is playing high school lax this spring, be thankful if you can fricking eat. Colleges, the NCAA giving a 5th year of athletic eligibility DOES NOT give your kids a 5th year of academic college eligibility. Unless they are behind the curve or they dropped out early this spring they ARE GRADUATING! They cannot just “do” a 5 year as an undergrad, whatever the hell their lacrosse eligibility. You can’t just graduate and then do another year of undergrad sports, regardless of how many years of sports eligibility you have left. All student are now up a year as students, all of them! If, when they graduate and they are allotted an extra year of ATHLETIC, eligibility they can find a graduate program, fine. But good fricking lord, enough, no one is getting an extra year of college, you can’t graduate undergrad and then just “stay on” to use your extra athletic eligibility year.
Then leave the forum! It is ok for HS folks to be hopeful for a season. Whether it is a long shot or not it is ok for them to hope. Things are bad for sure and your adding to it. So let people hope. Let people plan. If they have to adjust the plan or change their hope then so be it. Don’t take that away from folks. I believe that things will be up and running in the fall! Maybe that is me hoping! Stop telling people how to feel or deal!!

As for the extra year of eligibility, it is the right thing to do and it is a personal decision. Not your decision. Each family’s decision.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

I agree on the necessity to plan. There are so many things outside of our control. However, one can control one's thoughts, judgements and actions. For what it's worth, I know a D3 senior student lax athlete who like all senior spring athletes, has been granted a conceptual 5th year of athletic eligibility by the NCAA. Here is his perspective. (Granted it is a use case of 1)

He wants to gameplan just like any other aspect of life. He wants to attack the situation versus sitting idly and have it play him. He is exploring other non lax options as one might expect given the scenario. However, he feels strongly that he needs to know the facts and potential of a 5th year option. He feels if he didn't explore its possibility he would be asking his whole life "what if". If he tried and it was not feasible, he would be ok. He is not ok with not trying and understanding IF there is a positive path forward.

Some Focus Facts

MARKET
The job market is unstable and becoming worse. WSJ predicts over 5MM job losses in the US coming soon. In the 2008/2009 recession we had 10%+ unemployment. Recent college grads did not fare well back then. Jobs were pulled or start dates were drastically delayed. This student athlete had an offer pulled recently due to his future industry's rapid downturn. One of his friend's had his June 1st start date pushed to October. I judgmentally believe that this will become more common, unfortunately.

Academia is not particularly ready for this. A 5th year option for student athletes is not one of their burning priorities. A LOT of collaboration has to happen between Academic Advising and Compliance, Dept heads, Athletics Admin, Coaches, the Team and Financial Aid (he needs it). This is somewhat new territory outside of medical redshirts.

ACADEMICS
As stated by earlier posts one can try to apply to a current school's grad program (if they have them) or transfer to another school. That is somewhat clean and easy from a compliance perspective. This student/athlete does not want to do this. (Plan to get MBA 3-4 years from now)

If you want to extend your undergraduate degree by adding courses or adding a major, you must petition the academic affairs dept asap. They have to agree to your petition and you must withdraw your application to graduate this Spring and allow for an extra year of study. This is a huge IF. Dept Chairs weigh in and discussions need to happen to best determine full or part time course of study. The student athlete is a strong researcher with ties to the dept via current advanced work. Will they allow it? It is extremely relevant to his future industry and advancement. There is potential for work study but nothing finalized.

ATHLETICS
Compliance is key. NCAA says that the 5th year is granted for D3 spring athletes. Will the decision remain? Must one still be enrolled full time for Fall practice? Can they still drop down to part time for Spring competition? Are the league rules more stringent (they may be in his case). Are coaches, athletics admin, the team still as enthused for returnees after the initial emotion subsides? In the student athlete's case the glidepath is strong given his status and historical impact play. However it is far from a certified possibility.

FINANCIAL AID
The office has more pressing needs, especially from current students who need more aid given the economic downturn. How excited are they to take on funding for a 5th year who may need a negotiated balance of full/part time status? Will they make a deal because ostensibly it is incremental?

EMOTIONAL
The student/athlete is a very pro-active person who would be described as aggressive by nature (in a good way). He plans to keep competing in whatever happens.Only he knows what to do as it is his life. His perspective is to explore all possibilities given that life is a marathon not a sprint. 1 year flies by. If he can put himself in a better position to win via a 5th year (not guaranteed by any means) then it may be worth it. All good stories need conflict to be interesting. Here's hoping he has the best options (like all of us) to write the script.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

SureShot wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:27 pm I agree on the necessity to plan. There are so many things outside of our control. However, one can control one's thoughts, judgements and actions. For what it's worth, I know a D3 senior student lax athlete who like all senior spring athletes, has been granted a conceptual 5th year of athletic eligibility by the NCAA. Here is his perspective. (Granted it is a use case of 1)

He wants to gameplan just like any other aspect of life. He wants to attack the situation versus sitting idly and have it play him. He is exploring other non lax options as one might expect given the scenario. However, he feels strongly that he needs to know the facts and potential of a 5th year option. He feels if he didn't explore its possibility he would be asking his whole life "what if". If he tried and it was not feasible, he would be ok. He is not ok with not trying and understanding IF there is a positive path forward.

Some Focus Facts

MARKET
The job market is unstable and becoming worse. WSJ predicts over 5MM job losses in the US coming soon. In the 2008/2009 recession we had 10%+ unemployment. Recent college grads did not fare well back then. Jobs were pulled or start dates were drastically delayed. This student athlete had an offer pulled recently due to his future industry's rapid downturn. One of his friend's had his June 1st start date pushed to October. I judgmentally believe that this will become more common, unfortunately.

Academia is not particularly ready for this. A 5th year option for student athletes is not one of their burning priorities. A LOT of collaboration has to happen between Academic Advising and Compliance, Dept heads, Athletics Admin, Coaches, the Team and Financial Aid (he needs it). This is somewhat new territory outside of medical redshirts.

ACADEMICS
As stated by earlier posts one can try to apply to a current school's grad program (if they have them) or transfer to another school. That is somewhat clean and easy from a compliance perspective. This student/athlete does not want to do this. (Plan to get MBA 3-4 years from now)

If you want to extend your undergraduate degree by adding courses or adding a major, you must petition the academic affairs dept asap. They have to agree to your petition and you must withdraw your application to graduate this Spring and allow for an extra year of study. This is a huge IF. Dept Chairs weigh in and discussions need to happen to best determine full or part time course of study. The student athlete is a strong researcher with ties to the dept via current advanced work. Will they allow it? It is extremely relevant to his future industry and advancement. There is potential for work study but nothing finalized.

ATHLETICS
Compliance is key. NCAA says that the 5th year is granted for D3 spring athletes. Will the decision remain? Must one still be enrolled full time for Fall practice? Can they still drop down to part time for Spring competition? Are the league rules more stringent (they may be in his case). Are coaches, athletics admin, the team still as enthused for returnees after the initial emotion subsides? In the student athlete's case the glidepath is strong given his status and historical impact play. However it is far from a certified possibility.

FINANCIAL AID
The office has more pressing needs, especially from current students who need more aid given the economic downturn. How excited are they to take on funding for a 5th year who may need a negotiated balance of full/part time status? Will they make a deal because ostensibly it is incremental?

EMOTIONAL
The student/athlete is a very pro-active person who would be described as aggressive by nature (in a good way). He plans to keep competing in whatever happens.Only he knows what to do as it is his life. His perspective is to explore all possibilities given that life is a marathon not a sprint. 1 year flies by. If he can put himself in a better position to win via a 5th year (not guaranteed by any means) then it may be worth it. All good stories need conflict to be interesting. Here's hoping he has the best options (like all of us) to write the script.
If one is on pace to graduate this spring, they could drop one class, reenroll in the spring of 2021, take that one class they dropped, and they would be able to play by the NCAA. By NCAA rules, a student-athlete can be part-time in their final semester and be eligible so long as they are on pace to graduate that semester. Now each school and conference may have different rules, I obviously can't vouch for everyone's situation, but that's what the NCAA rule is.

Additionally, if an SA is on pace to graduate this year, then they can't just add courses to extend their degree because they are set to graduate this spring. They would have to pick up another major or minor, or as I said above, drop a class so they won't be on pace to graduate.

By doing the drop-a-class route, with the extended time off from school that having both summer and fall off, they could potentially get a pretty decent intern or temp job that could lead to something permanent upon graduation. Then once they reenroll, they could get a student employment job (or multiple since they'd only have one class) and have a little bit more money saved up for when they have to enter the real world because the job market is going to be rough for potentially a few years. Wouldn't surprise me if low wage temp jobs with zero benefits and low wage to unpaid internships get a bit of a boom from companies who are trying to keep up productivity while slashing payroll.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if the job market is even worse than people around my age range faced when we graduated amid The Great Recession. Hell, when I finished undergrad in 2007, I put off having to enter the real world by going to grad school for three years and even by then the economy has just finished bottoming out. It never really got back to the pre-recession level until four years later, that's seven years after the economy started tanking. This isn't going to be a quick recovery by any means whatsoever. If someone graduating this year didn't major in an industry that is considered essential or their skills aren't easily translatable to an essential industry, well let's just say may God have mercy on your soul.

Given the mass unemployment we're seeing, the job market is going to be extremely competitive. It's not just restaurant and other low wage employees losing their jobs these days either. Going to be hard for a recent graduate's resume to stack up with an experienced person in the same field who is looking to get a decent job after getting laid off.

And yes I said low wage, not low skill. I recently worked in a restaurant for a little over a year. Anyone don't believe me? Go work a lunch rush that brings in several thousands of dollars in just two hours when you're short staffed then come back and me if that's low skill work or not.

One can always find a decent paying manual labor job, at least around here they can. One of my friends just took an HVAC job at a local company that pays him $17 an hour to start out with no experience and will be making $22 an hour once he gets his certification. Will have chances for more certifications to make even more an hour. It's not what you go to college for but a single person with no kids should have no problem living off that kind of money in this area.

At the end of the day, you should be working to live, not living to work. Your job is not the sole thing that defines you as a person. Take the job and career path that is best able to afford you the standard of living (factoring in both the finances and your psyche) you would realistically like to have. You may have dreams of being the next member of the 1%, and I'm not ever going to try to stop someone from pursuing that dream if they are willing to put a 100% effort into it, but have an exit strategy for a livable lifestyle because dreams don't always come to fruition no matter how hard you try.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30 pm I’m just about done posting this spring because I can’t take it anymore with so many high school boards taking about how their schools are only closed until April 24 and so how much season they can get in and how many college boards talking about their seniors coming back. Last time. High schools are closed through the rest of the year. It is very possible the will be NO NFL this fall, let alone high school football. There is literally 0 chance any of your high schools, at least in the northeast and 99% in the rest of the country open this spring. We are in a doomsday pandemic (or at least in the response to one and at this level it doesn’t matter which one it is valid). NO ONE is playing high school lax this spring, be thankful if you can fricking eat. Colleges, the NCAA giving a 5th year of athletic eligibility DOES NOT give your kids a 5th year of academic college eligibility. Unless they are behind the curve or they dropped out early this spring they ARE GRADUATING! They cannot just “do” a 5 year as an undergrad, whatever the hell their lacrosse eligibility. You can’t just graduate and then do another year of undergrad sports, regardless of how many years of sports eligibility you have left. All student are now up a year as students, all of them! If, when they graduate and they are allotted an extra year of ATHLETIC, eligibility they can find a graduate program, fine. But good fricking lord, enough, no one is getting an extra year of college, you can’t graduate undergrad and then just “stay on” to use your extra athletic eligibility year.
+1

It’s not about taking “hope” away from people, it’s about people getting serious about what we are ALL facing. My fear? Too many still think this is an overreaction, and one day they’ll wake up and this pandemic will be behind us. Time to focus on health & safety, not the upcoming lax season. It’s exactly how we get through this.
ISL Laxin'

Post by ISL Laxin' »

The news the lacrosse world needed today. Jack Allard's health is improving and he is off the ventilator.

"He should be fully off the ventilator some time this week, and hopefully shortly after will return home to NJ to continue his physical therapy."

https://quickstickblog.com/2020/04/15/j ... improving/

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”