Landmark 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MDlacrosse45

Landmark 2020

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

The season is right around the corner!

What is the outlook for the Landmark in 2020. Anyone know how any Fall Ball Scrimmages went?
I know Scranton returns a lot of fire power, is this the year they take it?
camping20

Re: Landmark 2020

Post by camping20 »

With the season only a few months away, I wanted to share some preseason predications.

1. Scranton
2. Elizabethtown
3. Susquehanna
4. Catholic
5. Moravian
6. Drew
7. Goucher

A combination of Scranton returning almost all of their team from last year and having a good in-conference record, I think they will get the top vote.

Elizabethtown will continue to be at the top due to their coaching staff and some major parts of their offense coming back but with major losses on defense, I do not think they will be preseason #1.

With Susky losing the top goalie in the conference, along with some other defensive components, they will be competitive but I do not see them being preseason 1 or 2 - which might shock some people.

Catholic was young last year and they will surprise people this upcoming spring. They play hard and with their young team maturing - they will have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

Moravian lost a great senior class, which included their top offensive player and a good goaltender. They surprised people last year when conference play started - they played some of the top teams very close and maybe this year they can turn one of those in their favor.

Drew has some talent on offense but their defense is what keeps them in games. If they wish to turn that program around, they need to get some fire power on offense.

What happened to Goucher? Hopefully they turn it around this year after having an enormous drop off from 2018 to 2019.
Last edited by camping20 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

I didn't see any posting of Scrimmage results of teams. I think Scranton its probably a top contender. The only thing I saw was that Etown has a new offensive coach who has had success. Should be an up in the air season for sure.
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

One thing I am hoping for is that the parents that were unbelievable with there comments last year that, there kids were seniors and have graduated. With having friends on other teams, everyone had the same comments about parents on certain teams the sad thing is that were always the same teams. Even out of conference teams are abusive. We even had games where the parents were yelling at the players on the field that they sucked. I expect the Students who have had to much to drink to harass but they at least they get tired of doing it after awhile. Some of the coaches let the kids taunt the whole game and there parents are as bad laughing at bad plays. The kids stop after the scoreboard shows that taunting doesn't win the game but the parents can't. Keeping fingers crossed to a calm year.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

laxbro1955 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:11 pm One thing I am hoping for is that the parents that were unbelievable with there comments last year that, there kids were seniors and have graduated. With having friends on other teams, everyone had the same comments about parents on certain teams the sad thing is that were always the same teams. Even out of conference teams are abusive. We even had games where the parents were yelling at the players on the field that they sucked. I expect the Students who have had to much to drink to harass but they at least they get tired of doing it after awhile. Some of the coaches let the kids taunt the whole game and there parents are as bad laughing at bad plays. The kids stop after the scoreboard shows that taunting doesn't win the game but the parents can't. Keeping fingers crossed to a calm year.
The trash talking is a conference wide issue. I can’t speak about the parents but the players on a few teams are definitely over the top and should be addressed. Worst part is the ones talking are at the end of the bench and never see the field. The AD’s must be “looking the other way” on this because I’ve seen them on the sidelines well within earshot of the trash talk and do nothing.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

My thought would be Scranton will be the heavy favorite going into the 2020 season as Etown and Susquehanna both graduated key players on the defensive end to graduation. Susquehanna has to completely rebuild their entire starting defense and it looks like they graduated the most of any team in the conference. Scranton has to be disappointed with the way last season ended for them.
In regards to the "trash talking" think this is just part of collegiate athletics, kids are very competitive and I wouldn't necessarily say its just a Landmark Conference issue.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:58 pm My thought would be Scranton will be the heavy favorite going into the 2020 season as Etown and Susquehanna both graduated key players on the defensive end to graduation. Susquehanna has to completely rebuild their entire starting defense and it looks like they graduated the most of any team in the conference. Scranton has to be disappointed with the way last season ended for them.
In regards to the "trash talking" think this is just part of collegiate athletics, kids are very competitive and I wouldn't necessarily say its just a Landmark Conference issue.
My pick is E’town. 3 time defending champs have to be the heavy favorite. Scranton and Catholic would be my next picks. Susquehanna has some rebuilding to do but returns some dangerous offensive weapons, and the rest of the conference I don’t see making a run at the title.
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

I agree that Both Scranton and Etown are both the favorites with a slight edge going to ETown because of the Coaching, Out of conference schedule and the seniors have started since there freshman year and they know his system.
Scranton has a fantastic FOGO. I am not sure of Scranton's LSM's or Goalie though. Should be competitive.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

With the season officially starting this week here are my thoughts and predictions for 2020:

1. Scranton. Return a lot of offensive firepower and a stud fogo. Huge question mark when it comes to goaltending as that was their achilles heel in last years conference playoffs. Can imagine they still have a huge chip on their shoulder with the way their season ended last year. They are my preseason pick to win the whole thing. Senior class id imagine brings a lot of talent but also leadership.

2. Elizabethtown. Graduated a decent amount, and losing Klipple is a huge loss. But they are too well coached to not be in the thick if things and with Mahoney back in goal and Scafrano at attack they are looking to win the whole thing once again. Id imagine they will be right back in the championship game and they're a close second place finish behind Scranton.

3. Catholic. Very young last year and return just about everybody. Have a very solid fogo that will be a difference maker in close conference games.

4. Susquehanna. Graduated A TON. reloading completely on defense and are forced to play a new goalie for the first time in 4 years. Going to see just how big of a difference, if any, Abplanalp really made. Are forced to start basically a brand new defense which is always a challenge. Lost some fire power on offense but return the best offensive player in the conference in Dick. A lot of weight is going to be on his shoulders. The face-off X could be a huge problem for them especially with them starting a whole new defense. Could be a rebuilding year for them and think they only get in as the 4 seed because other conference opponents aren't very strong.

5. Moravian. Graduated a very large senior class and don't return a ton but could sneak into the playoffs with Susquehanna possibly having a rebuilding year. Look for them to surprise a few teams.

6. Goucher. Had a lot of injuries last year but not sure that will matter.

7. Drew. Irrelevant.

Overall I think its a two team race between Scranton and Elizabethtown and think they will handle the rest of the conference fairly easily. Is this the year we can possibly have a Landmark team crack the top 20?
LaxCrusader1

Post by LaxCrusader1 »

The preseason poll for Landmark lacrosse just came out, and here's how it broke down:

#1) Elizabethtown - 52 points & 4 First Place votes - Etown returns a lot of their offensive firepower this year with Scarfano as their leading point scorer last year coming back as a senior. They also return another four of their remaining top 5 scorers in Cody Richter (Jr), Mike DiGenova (Sr), Nick Cost (So), and Scott Nizolak (Sr). They also bring back first team all-conference goalie and AA Honorable Mention, Mahoney, in cage. Defense will be the question with Klipple graduated, but the coaching staff at Etown is great and I expect them to have recruited well and will do just fine.

#2) Scranton - 47 points & 3 First Place votes - Scranton also returns a lot of firepower. With three of their top four offensive players: Elefonte (returning Offensive POTY), Kirkwood, and Killeen, all returning as Seniors. To go along with that senior leadership, Scranton returns Juniors Jalen Holmes and Dan Mallay, and Sophomore Cole Lukasiewicz - all with 20 points or more last season. The real question for Scranton is will they have the defense and goaltending to hold teams at bay. They certainly have the offensive talent to score, but we saw defense and goaltending - as another poster mentioned - be their achilles heel last season.

#3) Catholic - 36 points & 0 First Place votes - I agree that this team will be sneaky good this year. They return all six of their top scorers from last season. With two rookie of the year candidates last year, FOGO Mike McShea winning the honor, and Joey Rockovich as the front man for an all freshman attack, leading the team with a 40 points. Rockovich's linemates are Sean Baudo (27 points) and Nick Fanelli (15 points) so unless they've brought in some more talented youngsters, this line will continue to build chemistry and adjust to the college game as sophomores. They are certainly young and dangerous. To go along with McShea, Rockovich and the other sophomores, they are also returning Senior midfielders Vince Catenacci and Mark Tocchio who had 33 and 27 points, respectively. Again, the question here will be defense and goaltending. Senior goaltender Alex Mulyk gave up an average of 10.75 GAA last year with a save percentage of 44.6% in about 748 minutes. Their Junior goalie Malone, had an even worse stat line in 206 minutes with a 10.77 GAA and a 42.2% save percentage.

#4) Susquehanna - 26 points & 0 first place votes - Again, as previously mentioned, SU graduated their entire starting defense and a lot more, including the 2018 1st team all-conference goalie and 2019 AA honorable mention in Abplanalp. They also graduated a two-time first team all-conference defenseman, two other starting defensemen, several d-middies, 2 of their starting o-middies, and their starting left attackman... that's A LOT! Still, they return arguably the best offensive player in the conference (yes, including Elefonte) in Colton Dick. The question this year is how well can coach Moan and his staff can get a young group of players ready for college games. Lots of questions to be answered here, but with consistently showing up in the playoffs (and championship games) the coaches didn't want to leave SU out of the top 4. I think the first half of the season will be VERY important for this team to grow up and find themselves... or not. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

#5) Moravian - 18 points & 0 First Place votes - Moravian graduated 67 points from last year's team in one player, Laratta. Cade Siddron returns as the next highest point scorer with 60. The next top six point totals are 22,17, 14, and 12, with the 17 points coming from Austin Adams, who also graduated last year. It's important to note that the next three players also scored double digit points with 12,11, and 10. Still, it seems that Siddron will be getting a lot of attention as the BIG threat at 6'6" 235lbs. But, will he be able to create for the rest of the offense without Laratta on the other side? That's the big question. Defensively, Moravian graduated a lot as well, although the future looks promising in net for the presumptive heir apparent, Will Dadouris.

#6) Drew - 10 points & 0 First Place votes - Drew returns its' top four offensive players from last season: Kevin Goettlich (43 points), Seamus O'Connor (34 points), Kyle MacDonnell (28 points), and Nick Polacek (16 points), all seniors. Again, the question here is defense. With senior goaltender, Nate Sanders, who saw the lion's share of minutes last year with a GAA of 11.67 and a Save % of 54.5, they will have experience in cage. Will the seniors be able to carry this team? Will they have enough to contend in the conference? Seems the popular opinion of forum posters and coaches is a resounding no. With that said, I think this is a trap game for a lot of teams in the Landmark as opponents begin to look ahead to more "important" contests.

And, finally...

#7) Goucher - 7 points & 0 First Place votes - For me, this team is the biggest dark horse in the entire conference. This team lost their biggest offensive generator in Woodson less than halfway through the season, and he was STILL the teams second highest point scorer at the end of the season with 33 points on 20 assists and 13 goals. They lost a lot of midfield talent in Lasorda and Gorman, and the big question for Goucher - like everyone else - is will they be able to stop anyone from scoring? Word on the street is Goucher had a very good year recruiting, and I expect them to come out and surprise some teams in conference.

Lacrosse season is just around the corner and I'm really excited to see how the Landmark fairs this year! Lots of teams taking on some tough schedules this year, and with some loaded teams at the top, there's a chance we might find some upsets that get the Landmark some real national recognition this season. Good luck to everyone, and let's get it started!

Also, looking forward to an active forum this year. Hopefully we can get some more people interested in what I think is one of the more underrated conferences, in terms of competition, in DIII lacrosse.
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

I think it could go either way with Scranton or E'town. They don't play each other until the end of season should be game of the week for sure.
It's nice to see a team in this conference on the Pre-Season all american 3rd team. Mahoney the goalie on E'town was given that honor this year.
Nice to see the college mentioned with all the powerhouse teams that are always on it. Only have a couple days to go with Catholic starting it off. Should be an exciting year.
BigMad

Post by BigMad »

Impressive season debut for Etown today avenging last year's 10-1 road loss to Coast Guard with a 13-8 home victory. Etown took over the game in the fourth quarter thanks to a dominant faceoff effort from Sophomore Danny Gilbert. Mahoney lived up to his preseason AA honorable mention between the pipes and the offense played with efficiency no one was expecting in mid-February. Thank you for your service Coast Guard, but enjoy the long bus trip home!

I'm excited to see how the out of conference season plays for the Landmark. It seems like the conference has stepped up the level of competition across the board including working some more Centenial, Capital, and NESCAC opponents in the mix. Elizabethtown takes the cake by scheduling three 2019 NCAA tournament teams (coincidence?!?) but across the board there's a lot of fun games to be had.

-Big Mad :x
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Drew gets a win too! I know it was vs Albright but a win is a win!!
SouthernLax

Landmark 2020

Post by SouthernLax »

Anyone know what's the deal w Catholic coach? Heard from a source close to the program that he is no longer with the team, was on Administrative Leave, possibly rumored to be let go?
remote

Post by remote »

SouthernLax wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:20 am Anyone know what's the deal w Catholic coach? Heard from a source close to the program that he is no longer with the team, was on Administrative Leave, possibly rumored to be let go?
Looks to be still listed on the website! Been there a long time and has done some good stuff.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

I'm watching Goucher vs Gettysburg right now and Goucher is down 3-5 at half. They don't look bad against a ranked team. My son just committed to Goucher for next year so I cant wait to see how they do.

Update: Scratch that. Goucher didnt score in the 2nd half and lost 14-3.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

Impressed to see Goucher kept it close with Gettysburg in first half and got their shots up as Gburgs goalie finished with 21 saves. Scranton got a big win against Haverford and they've looked very good to start the season. Catholic continues to lose close games, and Etown got a great win against the Coast Guard to start their 2020 campaign. Susquehanna seems to be in a rebuild year as they struggle filling the holes they lost to graduation. They haven't looked very good at all and this could be another year where they miss the playoffs. Desales is a solid team but didn't expect them to blow out Susquehanna the way they did. The Landmark needs to win all of their games this weekend against some quality opponents.
Landmarkguy

Post by Landmarkguy »

Does anyone know what is going on at SU?? Starting 0-3 with F&M looming.

I understand they have graduated a lot of seniors which I understand is never easy to move on from. However, to lose to a team like Kings makes me question if they can even be competitive in the landmark, yet alone D3. Hope the coaching staff can get this team going in the right direction.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Landmarkguy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 pm Does anyone know what is going on at SU?? Starting 0-3 with F&M looming.

I understand they have graduated a lot of seniors which I understand is never easy to move on from. However, to lose to a team like Kings makes me question if they can even be competitive in the landmark, yet alone D3. Hope the coaching staff can get this team going in the right direction.
Rebuild as stated earlier. Young inexperienced team and no Colton Dick vs Kings would be my best guess. Although offense has been stagnant and defense not much better, could all be reasons for the poor start. I’d hate to see what the scores may have been without their goalies doing well.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”