2020 Playoff Format

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Boomakegga

Re: 2020 Playoff Format

Post by Boomakegga »

The recovery time and game planning is a real issue. If you play that through, the real advantage then goes to the round of 16 team with a softball match up they can look past then play a deeper squad and be fresh and prepped for next day round of 8. I think this format only makes sense if they implement a true draw and avoid the geography seeding of the past that had NESCAC beating each other up while Salisbury or Denison coasted to the quarters. I think the final 4 talent gets more equalized so it’s less of an issue and same conditions apply. I would bet heavy and long that the upset pathways of Cabrini and Wes in the past 2 years can’t happen in this format. This will favor the higher seeds. No issue there though as long as solid season performance is rewarded with appropriate seed.

Hope the new regions don’t disrupt historical match ups between conferences like OD and CC.
ah23

Re: 2020 Playoff Format

Post by ah23 »

laxrules wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 pm I don't hate the comparison to Hockey. Hockey is physical. One could argue the hydration is different in hockey because it isn't 85 degrees in rink.

I will say that no one complained about the 4 Teams that won the play in games having to play back-to-back on weekdays? I suggest that affects as many teams and those games are played on the weekdays where crucial classes/tests are missed.

Are those teams not as important because they are lower ranked?
If we're talking about the integrity/evenness of the tournament...of course those teams are not as important. I think it's kind of silly to pretend otherwise. New England College could have an entire decade to rest, watch film, and gameplan for a playoff game vs. a NESCAC host and they would still lose by twenty goals. Those teams really shouldn't figure in the evaluation of this change.

The issue is that this new format will force legitimate contenders to play in high stakes tournament games (including the national semifinals) while banged up and fatigued from another high stakes game the previous day...and with minimal time to watch film and gameplan for each other. IMO I don't think there's any way either team will be able to play to its potential. At the end of the day, this format cheapens the outcome of the Sunday games and diminishes the overall product, which is the exact opposite of what the NCAA should be doing. I hate everything about it.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”