LIBERTY LEAGUE 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: LIBERTY LEAGUE 2020

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. The kid who resonates with Skidmore would go cold at Union, RPI, etc. I feel like there should be more lacrosse players who are artists. SU's Sim had a deep appreciation for art and highly encouraged this creativity in his players. As evidenced by the creativity of his orangemen in the 80s and 90s. But, reality belies my feelings.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ergit

Post by ergit »

My son was looking at committing to Skidmore but the financials just didn’t work out. Skidmore is a great school and Saratoga Springs is an awesome location. I don’t know that the school puts much emphasis on athletics, let alone lacrosse and perhaps that’s the problem. There was a time (many) years ago that they had a decent team. Times change..
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ergit wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm My son was looking at committing to Skidmore but the financials just didn’t work out. Skidmore is a great school and Saratoga Springs is an awesome location. I don’t know that the school puts much emphasis on athletics, let alone lacrosse and perhaps that’s the problem. There was a time (many) years ago that they had a decent team. Times change..
Saratoga is awesome. If you value creativity, Skidmore is awesome. If you value athletics... your whole team will not feel the same. :) With this said, I think many D3 teams suffer from the same. Having the top talent players through to the last bench warmer that's passionate and serious about the game is more the exception and less the rule.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
richard

Post by richard »

Skidmore had it all going when Corcoran was coach. His last year before being let go they won the
Liberty. They had a really nice team. The reason for letting him leave is anybody's guess. Sandler was a great coach too. He left in a latterel move to Colby. Everything that happens with their lacrosse team leaves me wondering about support for athletics and specifically lacrosse.
I believe that could be a player in d3 if only......
The same can be said for Hamilton, Vassar and others.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Engineers squeaked one out vs Scranton. Don’t know much about the Royals but I’m thinking this was a surprise.
Empirelaxer

Post by Empirelaxer »

TopShelf585 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:27 pm Engineers squeaked one out vs Scranton. Don’t know much about the Royals but I’m thinking this was a surprise.
The performance definitely mirrored the graduation losses from last year. Much of the offense returned and they looked balanced and played well off each other. Putnam and Colucci showed an ability to both create for others and score themselves while Urban and Hatcher did a nice job finishing. The defense graduated two All American poles and they were missed. Slides alternated between either too slow or too early and that let Scranton go on some runs. If the defense can gel, the offense will keep them in most games.
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

Liberty League Laxers,

No question SLU will hold down the top spot in the league this year. I got word from a neighbor of mine that Matt Ellis recently made the switch from LSM to Close D, and think that will prove pivotal for the team this spring. He has the ability to lock down any player, including big names in the LL, NESCAC or any other conference. Heard he has put on 10-15 pounds of muscle, got his forty time down to 4.9 and has been working with a family friend of his, Matt Landis, on his takeaway checks.

Confident the Ellis led D will lock anyone down, and be playing for it all this season.

-HeftyLefty
ergit

Post by ergit »

Really...?
ergit

Post by ergit »

SLU may or may not end up on top...

Your prediction is certainly hyperbolic.

A lock down defence is great but you still have to score goals. It's only half the equation. Taking your claim at face value, you can have the best defensive player in the nation and that still leaves five other players for the opposing offence to attack. Offences will generally concentrate on the best matchups, often on one or both of the SSDM's. A single player on either side of the ball will not win you a game.

Why would you put everything on a single player? These preseason 'friend of a friend' comments are dubious. Just give the kid some space to play his game... ... let the chips fall where they may.
richard

Post by richard »

Fortunately Burns and Gannon are back too. SLU defense generally is pretty strong. Most of last years offense is back too. They did go 14-4 and were competitive vs RIT. I am cautiously optimistic about this year.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

richard wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:37 am Fortunately Burns and Gannon are back too. SLU defense generally is pretty strong. Most of last years offense is back too. They did go 14-4 and were competitive vs RIT. I am cautiously optimistic about this year.
As am I. The freshman FO kid is a stud, and Mapstone has unlimited potential. I like SLU a lot this year.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

richard wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:38 pm Skidmore had it all going when Corcoran was coach. His last year before being let go they won the
Liberty. They had a really nice team. The reason for letting him leave is anybody's guess. Sandler was a great coach too. He left in a latterel move to Colby. Everything that happens with their lacrosse team leaves me wondering about support for athletics and specifically lacrosse.
I believe that could be a player in d3 if only......
The same can be said for Hamilton, Vassar and others.
Amazing how good they were when you see where Skid is now. The administration has buried this program. 3 coaches in 5 years is ridiculous
ergit

Post by ergit »

richard wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:37 am Fortunately Burns and Gannon are back too. SLU defense generally is pretty strong. Most of last years offense is back too. They did go 14-4 and were competitive vs RIT. I am cautiously optimistic about this year.
The problem again with SLU is a weak OOC schedule. It's nice to see them in the Mustang Classic playing Lynchburg and RIT. The problem is that a Saturday game freed up by the RIT game is essentially replaced with Babson. Playing SUNY Potsdam on a Saturday at the end of February is a waste. That game needs to be a mid-week game.

I understand that it is tough to get teams to travel to the Canton. Sometimes you have to take the show on the road and there are two Saturdays that could be filled with better competition. Maybe meet teams half way at a neutral site.

SLU puts out a solid team every season but the schedule will inevitably sell them short.
richard

Post by richard »

ergit wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:43 am
The problem again with SLU is a weak OOC schedule. It's nice to see them in the Mustang Classic playing Lynchburg and RIT. The problem is that a Saturday game freed up by the RIT game is essentially replaced with Babson. Playing SUNY Potsdam on a Saturday at the end of February is a waste. That game needs to be a mid-week game.

I understand that it is tough to get teams to travel to the Canton. Sometimes you have to take the show on the road and there are two Saturdays that could be filled with better competition. Maybe meet teams half way at a neutral site.

SLU puts out a solid team every season but the schedule will inevitably sell them short.
I have never bought into the weak schedule that people want to sell for SLU.
They will always play the North Country games.

This year they follow up the Potsdam game with Cortland in a midweek game. Add to that RIT, Lynchburg, Union and Ithaca during the regular season. Then the Liberty playoffs another game or two vs RIT or Union or Ithaca . Then add solid competition with WNEU, Geneseo and Colorado College. It is a shame that they don't have Middlebury on the schedule and that they have to play RIT at the Mustang. Give them back Midd and add somebody like Denison at the Mustang and people still wouldn't be impressed. Wouldn't it be great if W&L or F&M or Dickinson made the trek up to Canton? Hell it's hard enough to get Ithaca to go up there. Of course now they have to. The point is that it is a hurdle that SLU has to deal with and they do a good job with it.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

SLU Coaches know what they're doing with the schedule. Sometimes history and tradition trumps SOS.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Ok, just don’t complain about being on the outside looking in come the month of May ...
richard

Post by richard »

Last year they lost to Ithaca. It was a game they should have won and it kept them out of the tournament. When it happened, and it was pretty early in the season, I knew they had to beat RIT or win their tournament. They did not do either. No complaint here. They might have been better than other pool c teams but they did not win the games they needed to get in. If the same scenario plays out this year I won't complain about it.

As an aside, I missed that they also play RPI, another strong team.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

richard wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 am Last year they lost to Ithaca. It was a game they should have won and it kept them out of the tournament. When it happened, and it was pretty early in the season, I knew they had to beat RIT or win their tournament. They did not do either. No complaint here. They might have been better than other pool c teams but they did not win the games they needed to get in. If the same scenario plays out this year I won't complain about it.

The LL is rarely a 3-bid league. Even 2 is only really the norm recently. But yeah, any chance of SLU making the NCAA's were severely damamged by the IC loss. Maybe if they had beaten RIT the second time they played, they would have gotten in with a loss in the tourney championship to Union. But LL teams with 3 regular season losses are never doing themselves any favors.
richard

Post by richard »

ICGrad wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:15 am
richard wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:49 am Last year they lost to Ithaca. It was a game they should have won and it kept them out of the tournament. When it happened, and it was pretty early in the season, I knew they had to beat RIT or win their tournament. They did not do either. No complaint here. They might have been better than other pool c teams but they did not win the games they needed to get in. If the same scenario plays out this year I won't complain about it.

The LL is rarely a 3-bid league. Even 2 is only really the norm recently. But yeah, any chance of SLU making the NCAA's were severely damamged by the IC loss. Maybe if they had beaten RIT the second time they played, they would have gotten in with a loss in the tourney championship to Union. But LL teams with 3 regular season losses are never doing themselves any favors.
Right, and look what happened to the Centennial when they were a three bid conference. As much as you hear about how objective the selection process is, the opposite is more true. Being an IC grad you know about that.
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

Saints should feel good after their opening scrimmage.

Matt Ellis locked down Midd’s McCormack. McCormack finished with 1 goal 0 assists, and Ellis has four takeaways and 6 GBs.

Pat Holland was crucial in the clearing and early offense game. Finished with 3 goals and single handly cleared the ball 4 or 5 times.

SLU struggled on the X, and think senior Liam Doherty should step up and take some more draws for the Saints.

SLU took the L, but Midd is looking extremely promising in the NESCAC. If new players continue to step up and make a precense this team will have a great year.

-HeftyLefty

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”