W&L 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
themadbomber

Re: W&L 2020

Post by themadbomber »

Quick observation. #25 can develop into a real difference maker on the defensive side. Kind of like #12 from a couple years ago but with a higher ceiling. Well coached coming from Duxbury, and the potential seems to be there.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Interesting observation, I hope you are correct. In the meantime, there are two sophomores who are starting at close d and they seem to be growing up quickly.
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

themadbomber wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm Quick observation. #25 can develop into a real difference maker on the defensive side. Kind of like #12 from a couple years ago but with a higher ceiling. Well coached coming from Duxbury, and the potential seems to be there.
Agreed - interesting observation, and I too hope you're right. Certainly seems to have a stockier frame which could benefit in some more physical matchups, but tough to compare given the disparity in minutes between the two (25 seems to be sharing the third spot w/ #32 right now, not quite sure about the logic about how they split time) given #12 played all of them his soph year in addition to a great deal his freshman year. Would love to see how the sophomore class develops, as they definitely indicate a bright future for Coach Koch's unit, but tough to compare ceilings when none of them are out there winning their matchups vs. the likes of Aaron Murphys and Kevin Jacksons in conference play and the Mike Bossidys and Tyler Powers in OOC play just yet.
themadbomber

Post by themadbomber »

wheelnd3al wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:07 pm
themadbomber wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm Quick observation. #25 can develop into a real difference maker on the defensive side. Kind of like #12 from a couple years ago but with a higher ceiling. Well coached coming from Duxbury, and the potential seems to be there.
Agreed - interesting observation, and I too hope you're right. Certainly seems to have a stockier frame which could benefit in some more physical matchups, but tough to compare given the disparity in minutes between the two (25 seems to be sharing the third spot w/ #32 right now, not quite sure about the logic about how they split time) given #12 played all of them his soph year in addition to a great deal his freshman year. Would love to see how the sophomore class develops, as they definitely indicate a bright future for Coach Koch's unit, but tough to compare ceilings when none of them are out there winning their matchups vs. the likes of Aaron Murphys and Kevin Jacksons in conference play and the Mike Bossidys and Tyler Powers in OOC play just yet.

12 was a great player but I think he reached his full potential early in his career. A high floor, low ceiling player. 25 just seems to have more potential and if given a chance can become real difference maker for the back line.
Also, if my memory serves me correct, I don’t believe 12 matched up with all of those names. He didn’t have the athleticism to go up top and cover a solid midfielder like Bossidy. But he did cover those others well, excluding Aaron Murphy, who was great player and tough matchup that got the best of him.
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

themadbomber wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:07 pm
wheelnd3al wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:07 pm

12 was a great player but I think he reached his full potential early in his career. A high floor, low ceiling player. 25 just seems to have more potential and if given a chance can become real difference maker for the back line.
Also, if my memory serves me correct, I don’t believe 12 matched up with all of those names. He didn’t have the athleticism to go up top and cover a solid midfielder like Bossidy. But he did cover those others well, excluding Aaron Murphy, who was great player and tough matchup that got the best of him.
Well to each is own. To clarify, you're thinking of Teddy Bossidy (M), while I'm referring to older brother Mike Bossidy (A) which was the apparent match up in 2016 (#12's sophomore year). Stat line for him was 1g, 0a that game when he was named to the All-Centennial Conference team. And Aaron Murphy evidently went 0g, 1a when they matched up in 2016 (in a conference championship game no-less). Murphy was a 2x 3rd team USILA AA at that point and one of the two stars for that Lynchburg game, so if scoring one point is getting "the best" of someone then I guess you're right. Regarding Jackson I believe you may actually be correct, as it looks like he matched up w/ Will Pilat for that contest that year (1g,1a). Again I hope you're right - would only bode well for the Gennies future.
FapTitan

Post by FapTitan »

I can’t speak to the OOC match ups referenced above but I agree with madbomber that #12 may have played his best lacrosse in 2016. Likely due to playing behind 1st-Team AA Buck Armstrong. It seemed that when 12 was forced to guard top initiators, such as Murphy, he didn’t perform as well. If I remember correctly, the first time Lynchburg and W&L matched up in 2016 Murphy went for 5 G, 1 A. The W&L defense likely adjusted the gameplan to help that matchup in the championship. It seemed that trend continued following Armstrong’s graduation when 12 never seemed to take that next step into that top type of defenseman that many thought he would become in the last 2 years
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

FapTitan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm I can’t speak to the OOC match ups referenced above but I agree with madbomber that #12 may have played his best lacrosse in 2016. Likely due to playing behind 1st-Team AA Buck Armstrong. It seemed that when 12 was forced to guard top initiators, such as Murphy, he didn’t perform as well. If I remember correctly, the first time Lynchburg and W&L matched up in 2016 Murphy went for 5 G, 1 A. The W&L defense likely adjusted the gameplan to help that matchup in the championship. It seemed that trend continued following Armstrong’s graduation when 12 never seemed to take that next step into that top type of defenseman that many thought he would become in the last 2 years
Playing w/ Buck Armstrong would certainly benefit any young defenseman's play, so I'm sure it catalyzed his play that particular season. Having attended almost all of the contests in that 2016 season, I recall #12 covering Colin McGuire (0g,0a) for the regular season contest, and him switching to Murphy in the 4th quarter of that game and then the conference championship was the defensive adjustment used to combat Murphy while Armstrong covered Stewart. Again, for the sake of positive forward thinking I hope this younger core has more upside than all previous close defensive standouts, considering as talented as they all were (Fraser/Armstrong/Gifford/Broderick/Callahan), their collective ceiling was evidently the Sweet 16.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Not sure what your point is but last year’s defense was third in the country in goals allowed per game. While I bet they would want that final York game back, I don’t think anyone who actually watched them play last year would say that the defense capped the team’s upside. Onward and upward now, though. It is 2020, and we have a big game against F&M coming up. Go Generals.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

I have a question...does the schedule require that all ODAC games be played consecutively toward the end of the season? I wonder if spreading some quality OOC games throughout the season might be helpful in preparing the team for the playoffs. Lynchburg not withstanding last year, the back end of the season did not pose much of a challenge and I wondered if that hurt going into the ODAC championship (yes a narrow victory) and the NCAAs against York. Many schools begin the season with an easier game where we start against 2 top tens.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

With such a weak conference W&L can’t afford not to play the top teams if they want a shot at a pool C. I wouldn’t want to bet the ranch with them for the AQ consistently. If you want good players to come to your program play the best. Hopefully the tougher ooc schedule will prep you for the ODAC conf and tournament. They need to beat F&M and probably Gburg to make a strong bid for the C. At this moment Lynchburg looks like the clear favorite in the ODAC ....Looked very good against F&M and was tough in the Cabrini game. Generals will need 12 plus in both F&M and Gburg to win
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

I’ll add OOC games most often is farther travel. When conference games come around teams play twice a week so planning extended travel impacts academics. The focus turns to winning Conference so all teams tend to scout/focus.
LYN is able to fill in Bridgewater this year because they play back to backs at Mustang Classic.

Dhunt is spot on about scheduling stiff competition for recruiting and at large bid. It also exposes your weaknesses that need work.

W&L is still at large bid. Need to win like he said and never know if a qualify win vs LYN or HSC May bode well in season even if they lose in ODAC finals. Similarly LYN game vs. YORK is huge for Incite if they lost in ODAC finals..
Lots of lacrosse to play👍
whipsnake

Post by whipsnake »

wheelnd3al wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:05 pm
FapTitan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm I can’t speak to the OOC match ups referenced above but I agree with madbomber that #12 may have played his best lacrosse in 2016. Likely due to playing behind 1st-Team AA Buck Armstrong. It seemed that when 12 was forced to guard top initiators, such as Murphy, he didn’t perform as well. If I remember correctly, the first time Lynchburg and W&L matched up in 2016 Murphy went for 5 G, 1 A. The W&L defense likely adjusted the gameplan to help that matchup in the championship. It seemed that trend continued following Armstrong’s graduation when 12 never seemed to take that next step into that top type of defenseman that many thought he would become in the last 2 years
Playing w/ Buck Armstrong would certainly benefit any young defenseman's play, so I'm sure it catalyzed his play that particular season. Having attended almost all of the contests in that 2016 season, I recall #12 covering Colin McGuire (0g,0a) for the regular season contest, and him switching to Murphy in the 4th quarter of that game and then the conference championship was the defensive adjustment used to combat Murphy while Armstrong covered Stewart. Again, for the sake of positive forward thinking I hope this younger core has more upside than all previous close defensive standouts, considering as talented as they all were (Fraser/Armstrong/Gifford/Broderick/Callahan), their collective ceiling was evidently the Sweet 16.
12 was softer than Elton John at a strip club
ergit

Post by ergit »

whipsnake wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:33 am
Think about it for a moment, you might want to consider deleting your comment.
smoova

Post by smoova »

ergit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 am
Gold.
ergit

Post by ergit »

smoova wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 am
ergit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 am
Gold.
... express yourself however you want, just be respectful of the young men who play the game.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:44 am With such a weak conference W&L can’t afford not to play the top teams if they want a shot at a pool C. I wouldn’t want to bet the ranch with them for the AQ consistently. If you want good players to come to your program play the best. Hopefully the tougher ooc schedule will prep you for the ODAC conf and tournament. They need to beat F&M and probably Gburg to make a strong bid for the C. At this moment Lynchburg looks like the clear favorite in the ODAC ....Looked very good against F&M and was tough in the Cabrini game. Generals will need 12 plus in both F&M and Gburg to win
I'm not suggesting they lighten the OOC schedule, I'm saying perhaps not front loading it. 7 of the last 9 regular season games last year were won by 10 or more goals. Not alot of competetion there which may lead to getting a bit rusty and then having to re-adjust to higher competition later in the season.
Dehuntshigwa’es

F&M just abusing W&L today 8-0 with 2 minutes before the half. Generals simply look lost at all positions today. Even their top players, those who you’d think would be stepping up this year look to almost have taken a step back. Without Mize they just can’t get anyone to draw the slide. When Mize went down I adjusted my potential win total from 16 to 12. Losing Both AJ and Mize 2/3 of their attack has just been too much for them to overcome. The Lynchburg game has the potential to be very one sided. Bottom line, it’s a rebuilding year with Soph’s everywhere on the defensive side. Look to get better each week, hope to improve and by some chance catch lightening in a bottle in the ODAC tournament. Had expected a lot from this sr class, maybe too much. I’d be getting some more of the freshman and current Soph’s out there at this point. W&L shooting has been horrific, discount the WAC game and percentage shooting has been awful. Forget the win loss record and try to just improve the teams fundamentals..., player IQ’s and some discipline with a view to the future
mandown

Post by mandown »

thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:04 pm F&M just abusing W&L today 8-0 with 2 minutes before the half. Generals simply look lost at all positions today. Even their top players, those who you’d think would be stepping up this year look to almost have taken a step back. Without Mize they just can’t get anyone to draw the slide. When Mize went down I adjusted my potential win total from 16 to 12. Losing Both AJ and Mize 2/3 of their attack has just been too much for them to overcome. The Lynchburg game has the potential to be very one sided. Bottom line, it’s a rebuilding year with Soph’s everywhere on the defensive side. Look to get better each week, hope to improve and by some chance catch lightening in a bottle in the ODAC tournament. Had expected a lot from this sr class, maybe too much. I’d be getting some more of the freshman and current Soph’s out there at this point. W&L shooting has been horrific, discount the WAC game and percentage shooting has been awful. Forget the win loss record and try to just improve the teams fundamentals..., player IQ’s and some discipline with a view to the future
Well luckily for W&L they will win virtually every face-off and the Lynchburg goalkeeper performances thus far haven't been inspiring
Dehuntshigwa’es

thescottharris wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:47 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:04 pm F&M just abusing W&L today 8-0 with 2 minutes before the half. Generals simply look lost at all positions today. Even their top players, those who you’d think would be stepping up this year look to almost have taken a step back. Without Mize they just can’t get anyone to draw the slide. When Mize went down I adjusted my potential win total from 16 to 12. Losing Both AJ and Mize 2/3 of their attack has just been too much for them to overcome. The Lynchburg game has the potential to be very one sided. Bottom line, it’s a rebuilding year with Soph’s everywhere on the defensive side. Look to get better each week, hope to improve and by some chance catch lightening in a bottle in the ODAC tournament. Had expected a lot from this sr class, maybe too much. I’d be getting some more of the freshman and current Soph’s out there at this point. W&L shooting has been horrific, discount the WAC game and percentage shooting has been awful. Forget the win loss record and try to just improve the teams fundamentals..., player IQ’s and some discipline with a view to the future
Well luckily for W&L they will win virtually every face-off and the Lynchburg goalkeeper performances thus far haven't been inspiring
Lynchburg unless there is great improvement in the D and the offense can learn to shoot better will be a struggle even if Hodgson goes 100%. I do believe they will improve and play better but as I’ve said when watching with your eyes you just see too many holes. HSC could be a tight contest. This team is just very young. I sincerely believe they are talented but they need more reps. The surprise for me are the more seasoned players in the sr class. At some point they need to play a little better

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”