W&L 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
swf

Re: W&L 2020

Post by swf »

Removing Lee's name from the University would be dishonorable and disloyal. However, the treatment accorded Mike Pressler gives cause for concern.
Booyah General;
Did W&L mistreat Mike Pressler?

He played football and lax at W&L but I thought his mistreatment was by Duke.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

swf wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:03 pm
Removing Lee's name from the University would be dishonorable and disloyal. However, the treatment accorded Mike Pressler gives cause for concern.
Booyah General;

Before Pressler was hired by Bryant, he applied for the then vacant lax head coaching position at W&L. Not only did the AD not offer him the job, but he was not invited on campus to interview. Apparently, Pressler was too controversial a candidate for his alma mater.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

oldlaw wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:01 pm The President does not have any intestinal fortitude and PC has been running rampant in Lex for almost 3 years. I expect to hear later this month that all Fall sports are cancelled and the future of all others including lax, "are being reviewed..."

As a double degree alum, things are not good, IMHO.....
The Centennial Conference just cancelled all fall sports ans will re-evaluate Spring sports later.
As a whole, they are much more PC and Liberal than the ODAC. But a "peer" conference none the less.
Nothing would surprise me this year.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:52 pm
oldlaw wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:01 pm The President does not have any intestinal fortitude and PC has been running rampant in Lex for almost 3 years. I expect to hear later this month that all Fall sports are cancelled and the future of all others including lax, "are being reviewed..."

The Centennial Conference just cancelled all fall sports ans will re-evaluate Spring sports later.
As a whole, they are much more PC and Liberal than the ODAC. But a "peer" conference none the less.
Nor I, however I am encouraged by the statement put out by the ODAC on July 3rd: https://www.odaconline.com/general/2020 ... all-update

Obviously things can change quickly, but the ODAC does seem to be taking a sensible, bold approach to the situation. As a great man once said, "in the midst of every crisis lies great opportunity" - hold the line ODAC!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GeneralBart wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 pm
Booyah General;

Before Pressler was hired by Bryant, he applied for the then vacant lax head coaching position at W&L. Not only did the AD not offer him the job, but he was not invited on campus to interview. Apparently, Pressler was too controversial a candidate for his alma mater.
In fairness no one except Bryant would touch Pressler at the time. Not just W&L. People still believed Nifong was a legitimate DA for quite a while unfortunately rather than a civil servant elevated to the role.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:51 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Nor I, however I am encouraged by the statement put out by the ODAC on July 3rd: https://www.odaconline.com/general/2020 ... all-update

Obviously things can change quickly, but the ODAC does seem to be taking a sensible, bold approach to the situation. As a great man once said, "in the midst of every crisis lies great opportunity" - hold the line ODAC!
Conversely the LL is moving forward and also similar “peer” type conference.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I have to assume all traditional Fall Ball activities as it relates to lacrosse are cancelled this Fall including the VMI game. Perhaps the team can or will hold NESCAC like practices on their own. Nothing wrong with fielding small teams ( create a league, 10 teams) made up of 5 participants and setting up 1/2 field games so you have no more than 10 players at a time plus a goalie.Creates lots of touches. If the D recovers the ball or there’s a save they have to clear to the mid line in order to now start their offensive run . The D men get a shot at playing offense as well, improving their stick skills. Curious to see how the freshman fare since most lost the majority of their high school season. Anyone know the size of this incoming class
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Here is the roster:

https://generalssports.com/sports/mens- ... oster/2021

Note: there are a couple of transfers.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Last edited by DeepPocket on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

The course at issue is a writing course for undergraduate freshmen. It is poorly titled and the syllabus makes is clear that students will be asked to "rewrite history," and "a Manifesto." IMHO is it incompatible with the mission of Washington and Lee, the University's traditions, and its "brand." The University President sent a wet noodle explanation for alumni, students and parents, which is being roundly condemned, as it should be. President Dudley is no friend of lax, or athletics in general.

The course is not being taught by the professor mentioned in the second link--he is a law professor who fled to academia after not making it at two large law firms.

This course will not help the image of W&L in the eyes of most potential college lax players and is a reflection of the sad state of the faculty in Lexington.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

oldlaw wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:07 pm The course is not being taught by the professor mentioned in the second link--he is a law professor who fled to academia after not making it at two large law firms.
You are correct. The professor in questions’ name is no longer in either of the articles I read on the topic. He mentions being erroneously associated with this course, if you filter through the drivel of his twitter feed.
Original post edited to reflect this.
(Though I cannot imagine the professor who IS teaching this not signing said petition)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 pm Saw this today.

www.thecollegefix...
Let's keep the political posts in the Politics Forum.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I must be misreading this...There is literally an entire thread on a Op Ed piece about racism, and other posts discussing where the Lee name stands at a college based on his historical actions, but it’s the topic of a school specific course of study that’s flagged as “too political” for the lacrosse forum?

I’m out.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 pm I must be misreading this...There is literally an entire thread on a Op Ed piece about racism, and other posts discussing where the Lee name stands at a college based on his historical actions, but it’s the topic of a school specific course of study that’s flagged as “too political” for the lacrosse forum?

I’m out.
This is a thread about W&L Lacrosse. Your post had nothing to do with W&L or Lacrosse.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Huh?
The entire article is about a class at W&L...

And here is your lacrosse tie in.
oldlaw wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:07 pm ...This course will not help the image of W&L in the eyes of most potential college lax players...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I stand corrected. Waving off the call...
(Moved the post back...)
minkhoo

Post by minkhoo »

Talk about a really overblown issue, you'd be hard pressed to find one more. The issue appears to be perhaps a somewhat overly cute course name and very little attention to the actual content. It's a writing seminar. Nobody is required to take it, if someone is outraged, there are other seminars to take instead.

In 1973-74 when W&L was in the middle of 3 straight Division 1 final fours, the lacrosse players didn't seem to be upset by Philosophy 107, "Contemporary Radical Thought" which examined writings of then current and past radical writers. Somehow, the school and the state has survived the last 47 years despite that clearly "left wing" class.

College can be a place to examine new ideas, just looking doesn't mean you have to buy. I don't think too many people look at this as a trade school for anarchists.

Lighten up, Francis. Sheesh.

:roll:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

of course now "the survey" has gone out.

I wonder what the responses look like....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Swarthmore closing spring sports, can the NESCAC be far behind. Can’t imagine being a junior last season, lose my junior year and now being threatened in losing my senior year as well. Curious to see if there are any NESCAC transfers or potential recruits who don’t want to run the risk of not playing in the NESCAC conference .
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Booyah General;

W&L did not have Mike's back. The W&L AD met Mike on Route 29 to discuss the situation in Lexington and tell him he was not wanted. Mike wanted to come back to coach, and W&L spit on him. It was disgraceful in my opinion. Mike would have been an awesome coach in Lexington.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”