MAC Freedom

D3 Mens Lacrosse
viper

Re: MAC Freedom

Post by viper »

Since nobody else posts here - I figured I had to add something (without giving up any valuable scouting info for opponents :o :o).

Stevens ends week with 2 victories - beating Haverford in a much closer that it should have been contest but seemingly finds it's form from last year with a strong win over Springfield (16-8). Seeing more of the bench with each game is a good sign. Some other issues still seem to be hanging around - but I'll let the reader look at the box scores, watch the games on demand streaming and figure them out for themselves.

Salisbury dead ahead in Hoboken on Wednesday.
viper

Post by viper »

Just in from the Conference:

"Thursday morning, the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) Presidents determined it is in the best interest of campus communities to suspend athletic competition over the next two weeks through Monday, March 30.

The MAC will be actively monitoring the situation and reassessing this action over the next two weeks to determine if further action is warranted.

MAC institutions will suspend conference and non-conference athletic contests, on or off campus, during those two weeks."
d3lax

MAC Freedom

Post by d3lax »

With the season over, what does everyone think about how the conference faired in out of conference play?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

1 - stevens
2- miscercordia
3. Desales
4. Eastern

Toughest ooc schedule would be stevens
4-2 (loss to Dickinson in OT , loss to Salisbury after leading most of the way) (wins vs swarth, Springfield, haverford, Montclair)

Eastern was 2-4 - close game vs Ursinus, but dropped 3 of last 4
Mistercordia was 3-1 got crushed by stjf
Desales was 4-2 lost big to Montclair 11-3 and to Nazareth 17-11

Kings was 5-0 and beat no one any good.
Del Val is getting better and they were 4-3 and lost to Arcadia big
d3lax

Post by d3lax »

Not sure if Misericordia earned much respect this season. Desales seemed like they were struggling to last year. Other than Stevens and Eastern, I felt the conference might have seen a shake up in the playoffs. DelVal looked like a well tested squad with a solid offense and although Kings played a low level schedule, feels like first time in a while they’ve executed to this point?
viper

Post by viper »

d3lax wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:01 pm Not sure if Misericordia earned much respect this season. Desales seemed like they were struggling to last year. Other than Stevens and Eastern, I felt the conference might have seen a shake up in the playoffs. DelVal looked like a well tested squad with a solid offense and although Kings played a low level schedule, feels like first time in a while they’ve executed to this point?
Going into the season, the feeling was Steven's would likely come out on top, with a possible challenge by Eastern and maybe DeSales. DeSales had some bad losses and Steven's didn't quite live up to the threshold they have set for themselves in recent years. Having said that my GUESS is that it would have come down between Steven's and Eastern for the MAC Freedom Championship.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

viper wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:07 pm
d3lax wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:01 pm Not sure if Misericordia earned much respect this season. Desales seemed like they were struggling to last year. Other than Stevens and Eastern, I felt the conference might have seen a shake up in the playoffs. DelVal looked like a well tested squad with a solid offense and although Kings played a low level schedule, feels like first time in a while they’ve executed to this point?
Going into the season, the feeling was Steven's would likely come out on top, with a possible challenge by Eastern and maybe DeSales. DeSales had some bad losses and Steven's didn't quite live up to the threshold they have set for themselves in recent years. Having said that my GUESS is that it would have come down between Steven's and Eastern for the MAC Freedom Championship.
Stevens was 4-2. which one of the losses have them 'not living up to the standard"? Salisbury? Up 8-4 before the wheels fell off and they lost. or the Dickinson OT loss on the road? Tough forum.

They pounded Springfield, beat swarthmore, who was coming on in the last week or so of the season. they beat Haverford (Lackluster), beat a pretty strong 4-2 Montclair team that beat scranton, pounded Desales and played a very close game with ursinus for 3 quarters.

i actually believe Stevens was a goalie away from going 6-0. The Goalie play was below average in 2020 (save % of 43%). Oh well we will just have to wait until 2021.
viper

Post by viper »

Not for nothing, but Lycoming and Arcadia are joining the MAC Freedom next year, making it a 9 team conference. What will that do to the out of conference schedules? In particular Stevens who OOC includes Salisbury, Williams and Tufts for starters.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

viper wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40 pm Not for nothing, but Lycoming and Arcadia are joining the MAC Freedom next year, making it a 9 team conference. What will that do to the out of conference schedules? In particular Stevens who OOC includes Salisbury, Williams and Tufts for starters.
Pretty sure it was an 8 team conference last year, (I think I read that Eastern switches over to the MAC Commonwealth) so all these teams will lose 1 non-conference game. I'd assume Stevens has to make the trip back down to Salisbury, it looks like they play Tufts at home every year. Not sure about how the Williams game will be looked at because it didn't happen this year.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

laxrules wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:16 am
viper wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:07 pm Going into the season, the feeling was Steven's would likely come out on top, with a possible challenge by Eastern and maybe DeSales. DeSales had some bad losses and Steven's didn't quite live up to the threshold they have set for themselves in recent years. Having said that my GUESS is that it would have come down between Steven's and Eastern for the MAC Freedom Championship.
Stevens was 4-2. which one of the losses have them 'not living up to the standard"? Salisbury? Up 8-4 before the wheels fell off and they lost. or the Dickinson OT loss on the road? Tough forum.

They pounded Springfield, beat swarthmore, who was coming on in the last week or so of the season. they beat Haverford (Lackluster), beat a pretty strong 4-2 Montclair team that beat scranton, pounded Desales and played a very close game with ursinus for 3 quarters.

i actually believe Stevens was a goalie away from going 6-0. The Goalie play was below average in 2020 (save % of 43%). Oh well we will just have to wait until 2021.
I think the "not living up to the threshold " is a little bit of an overreaction here. At the end of the day, in a shortened season, they went 4-2. With that being said, I don't think I'm as connected to them as you two seem to be, I only started looking more when I was trying to fill out the forum poll. From an outsider's perspective going through the schedule now, they beat a Swarthmore team that looked like they were going to have a good year. They lost in OT to a Dickinson team that did lose to Elizabethtown and got crushed by Cabrini, but has been pretty good the last few years. The Haverford win seems like a game they didn't play up to their standard maybe. A 3-goal win against a team that went 1-5 and lost to Scranton by 5, in-conference Eastern by 12 and lost to Colorado College by 17. Springfield had a tough schedule and started 0-4 so it's hard to tell what they were potentially going to be. Stevens won by 8 in that one, where Union only beat them by 5. Then again Tufts beat them by 19. The Salisbury game looked good for them, but that was a really poor 2nd half. Not sure if something strategy-wise changed at halftime where Salisbury made adjustments or if they just woke up but it was 11-2 in the 2nd half. Then they came back and beat a Montclair team that they were losing to at halftime, which looks like a team that was up and down in the few games they played.

I'm not sure I agree that Stevens beats Salisbury with better goalie play, but I also wasn't there watching so I don't know what the goals looked like. But I do agree that it was too early to say that they didn't live up to their standard especially with the other games coming up. Now if they had lost 3 more of their OOC games and didn't go undefeated and win the conference, then I think you could say that they under performed, otherwise I think it's just too early to know what they could have been.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

From the MAC (both Commonwealth and Freedom);
https://gomacsports.com/news/2020/7/10/ ... -2020.aspx

Glad to see them at least trying to fit sports into what appears to be a very fluid and unpredictable Fall.

It also bodes well for aspirations of MAC sports in Spring IMHO.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC conferences suspend fall sports...
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
viper

Post by viper »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:46 am MAC conferences suspend fall sports...
Everything is so fluid. I suspect it's hard to have a season when at least one of the states with MAC schools requires a 14 day quarantine upon entry from several other states. Would be a difficult thing for teams playing on the road in NJ or the NJ teams coming back from away games outside NJ.

I understand that at least one school's lax team is planning to continue fall practice, but there will be no scrimmages.
remote

Post by remote »

viper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:56 am [quote=DeepPocket post_id=170661 time=<a href="tel:1595598376">1595598376</a> user_id=609]
MAC conferences suspend fall sports...
Everything is so fluid. I suspect it's hard to have a season when at least one of the states with MAC schools requires a 14 day quarantine upon entry from several other states. Would be a difficult thing for teams playing on the road in NJ or the NJ teams coming back from away games outside NJ.

I understand that at least one school's lax team is planning to continue fall practice, but there will be no scrimmages.
[/quote]

I believe all sports in the MAC will try to hold some practices in the fall. As soon as they get clearance the new Ncaa rules allows the teams in all sports to practice all year round for 2020-21 school year. This is pending school, state and cdc clearance. Yes there will not be outside competition in the fall for fall ball.
viper

Post by viper »

remote wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 am I believe all sports in the MAC will try to hold some practices in the fall. As soon as they get clearance the new Ncaa rules allows the teams in all sports to practice all year round for 2020-21 school year. This is pending school, state and cdc clearance. Yes there will not be outside competition in the fall for fall ball.
Stevens went online yesterday for everyone except for freshman, transfers and 1st year grad students who have the option to be remote or on campus. I assume all fall sports (including any fall lacrosse practices) are now off.
viper

Post by viper »

viper wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:22 am
remote wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 am I believe all sports in the MAC will try to hold some practices in the fall. As soon as they get clearance the new Ncaa rules allows the teams in all sports to practice all year round for 2020-21 school year. This is pending school, state and cdc clearance. Yes there will not be outside competition in the fall for fall ball.
Stevens went online yesterday for everyone except for freshman, transfers and 1st year grad students who have the option to be remote or on campus. I assume all fall sports (including any fall lacrosse practices) are now off.
Just wondering if anyone is aware of whether MAC Freedom teams have been getting any sort of activity in during the fall?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Stevens

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MAC Announces Spring Schedules
The conference will proceed with spring sports and swimming beginning in March
2/18/2021 9:00:00 AM

MEN’S LACROSSE
Men’s lacrosse is set to move forward with all nine MAC Commonwealth and all nine MAC Freedom programs competing. The season is set to begin on Saturday, March 6.

The eight-week regular season will begin with back-to-back crossover games on Saturday, March 6 and Saturday, March 13. The conference slate of a single-round robin will begin on Wednesday, March 17 and run through Saturday, April 24. The teams will have the ability to schedule an additional three games for a maximum of 13 games.

The championship format for 2021 only will be an all-comers tournament beginning Wednesday, April 28 with the No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed play-in game. The quarterfinal (May 1), semifinal (May 5) and final (May 8) rounds will be played at the higher seeds.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
GrouchyOldLaxer

Coaching Sportsmanship and Judgment

Post by GrouchyOldLaxer »

So I just registered to post here because I felt the need to vent (as my username would indicate) after watching the live-stream of the Stevens - DeSales game last night.

Before I vent, it's clear that the Mac Freedom is Stevens and everybody else. Their last two games are Mac Commonwealth games so even if they lose to Eastern (possible) and/or Widener (possible but less likely) they are still at home for the Mac Freedom Tourney and will be playing teams they beat by 10-20 goals the first time around.

On to venting.......I come from a time (long ago) when most, if not all coaches would respect their opponents whether they were up or down in a game. Unwritten rules like clearing benches or at least telling starters to stop going to the goal were done in deference to the opponents. Last night Stevens entered the 4th quarter with a 17-1 lead and kept ALL the starters in (until there were about 4 minutes left in the game with the score 20-3) during which time they continued to attack the goal on offense. I can't imagine that their was fear of a comeback in the 4th, not too mention losing a starter to injury in a late game blowout would definitely raise lots of questions with tournaments just a week away.

If I am a DeSales player/coach I make a mental note of last night's game and use that for bulletin board fodder as they will likely meet again in a few weeks. I realize that it probably won't make that much of a difference this year, but karma is a b**ch when the tables are turned.
ergit

Re: Coaching Sportsmanship and Judgment

Post by ergit »

GrouchyOldLaxer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:15 am So I just registered to post here because I felt the need to vent (as my username would indicate) after watching the live-stream of the Stevens - DeSales game last night.

Before I vent, it's clear that the Mac Freedom is Stevens and everybody else. Their last two games are Mac Commonwealth games so even if they lose to Eastern (possible) and/or Widener (possible but less likely) they are still at home for the Mac Freedom Tourney and will be playing teams they beat by 10-20 goals the first time around.

On to venting.......I come from a time (long ago) when most, if not all coaches would respect their opponents whether they were up or down in a game. Unwritten rules like clearing benches or at least telling starters to stop going to the goal were done in deference to the opponents. Last night Stevens entered the 4th quarter with a 17-1 lead and not only kept ALL the starters in (until there were about 4 minutes left in the game with the score 20-3). I can't imagine that their was fear of a comeback in the 4th, not too mention losing a starter to injury in a late game blowout would definitely raise lots of questions with tournaments just a week away.

If I am a DeSales player/coach I make a mental note of last night's game and use that for bulletin board fodder as they will likely meet again in a few weeks. I realize that it probably won't make that much of a difference this year, but karma is a b**ch when the tables are turned.
It is always a fine line but playing starters in the 4th quarter with that kind of a lead is not a good look. My son’s team often has a pretty significant halftime lead and the coach will start to empty the bench in the 3rd quarter. It is actually a positive for the development of first and second years and by my experience increases team cohesion. There is nothing a team loves more than a freshman scoring his first collegiate goal.
I don’t think a team should toy with the other team by deliberately trying not to score. Play straight up and maybe eat the ball the last couple of possessions in the game.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”