SAA 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Jekyll-Hyde45

Re: SAA 2020

Post by Jekyll-Hyde45 »

Southwestern is solid, and very young this year which bodes well for the future. Essentially gave the game away last year against Rhodes having been up 12-8 with less than 5 minutes to go in the game. Definitely a team that garners respect in the southern region.

Looks as though they have caught up in the recruiting cycle with some of these teams. Berry lost so much coming into this year and BSC had a few key pieces graduate as well.
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

Centre lost to Ohion Northern at home 9-10. I didn't get to see the game, but understand there was a lot of frustration among Coach Z's boys about several calls, or non-calls, in the last few minutes. In an outcome similar to the Wittenberg game that started off their season, the Colonels gave up two late 4th quarter goals to the Polars Bears. Lousy officiating or not, Centre needs to learn how to close out games in the fourth quarter.
saltlaxcity

Post by saltlaxcity »

Tough officiating calls or not, I saw that Centre went down 5-1. Hard to win when that happens. Don’t want to compare scores..but it seems like Rhodes handled ONU fairly easily. I guess time will tell!
droliver

Post by droliver »

Ouch, rough 24hrs for SAA lacrosse.

Berry, Sewanee, Centre, and Rhodes all go down in out of conference play.

Tough And undefeated Carthage (WI) team to play both BSC Sunday and Centre later this week. Rhodes faces #1 Solsbury on Monday.
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

I watched the Centre game online; the offense just could not get anything going against Kenyon's defense. The 5-0 Lords extended out and, while not trying to create turnovers like defenses back in the 80s, greatly disrupted the Colonels offensive flow. It was 2-1 Centre at the half, and then I think four straight mandown situations put them in the hole and they never recovered -- losing 6-4. In addition to untimely penalties their offense failed to covert on their own five manup opportunities, including two in the fourth quarter. Next up is undefeated Carthage.
droliver

Post by droliver »

Avoiding a total wipe out of the SAA in non conference play this weekend, BSC avenges a 1 goal 2019 loss, dominating faceoffs and scores 12 unanswered to handle a previously undefeated Carthage College 15-6.

BSC and Sewanee meet this Friday to open conference play
Cavitee

Post by Cavitee »

Rhodes worst loss in over 2 years. Lost a lot last year between graduation and unexpected transfers. Expect to see more of this...
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Cavitee wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:26 pm Rhodes worst loss in over 2 years. Lost a lot last year between graduation and unexpected transfers. Expect to see more of this...
They lost by 13 in May 2018 to Gettysburg. Less than 2 years ago but I get your point. And I'm afraid that will be eclipsed tonight at Salisbury. I expect the score to be ugly.

As I've said before... kudos to Rhodes for getting better every year but tonight they have a swim scheduled in the DEEP end. They better bring a lifeguard! Rhodes has only played 2 nationally relevant teams in their history. Denison 3x and Gettysburg 1x. They aren't ready to be a Top 10 team and tonight should bear that out. But again, that doesn't mean that can't keep focusing on just getting better and work to be a legit Top 20 team first
SouthernFriedLax

Post by SouthernFriedLax »

My conference prediction no one asked for..

1. Rhodes (by a mile)
2. Centre
3. BSC
4. Sewanee
5. Hendrix
6. Berry
7. Oglethorpe

Thoughts..?
droliver

Post by droliver »

apparently Rhodes may be canceling their spring sports over the Covid-19 virus
saltlaxcity

Post by saltlaxcity »

“Effective Wednesday, all athletic competitions on Rhodes’ campus are cancelled through the end of the season.”

Just saw this online
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

Centre is still determining on how to proceed, but the game this evening against Carthage has been cancelled. But with the NCAA basketball tournament cancellation and the news from Rhodes I fear the dye is cast and the season is lost. The HS season in NOVA is surely next on the chopping block.
droliver

Post by droliver »

Centre vs. BSC game sunday cancelled.

Season finale tomorrow night with BSC vs Sewanee in Birmingham.
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

Fall sports suspended, looks like football and lacrosse could both take place in the spring if contact sports are allowed.

SAA COVID-19 Statement For 2020 Fall Sports
Posted: Jul 16, 2020
ATLANTA (July 16, 2020) - The Southern Athletic Association's Presidents' Council has decided to suspend all conference athletic competition through the 2020 fall season.

Over the last several months, the council has met to weigh the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and to plan for the 2020-21 athletic season.

"The highest priority at each institution is the health and wellbeing of our campus communities, student-athletes, coaches, administrators, and spectators," said SAA Commissioner, Jay Gardiner. "As the pandemic evolves, the SAA will continue to monitor the situation and intends to resume fall sports competition in early 2021."

During the fall, each institution will have an opportunity to work with student-athletes for training opportunities outside a traditional season, consistent with federal and state public health authorities, the NCAA, and institutional guidelines.

We intend to join other Division III conferences in requesting that the NCAA postpone fall championships until the spring semester of 2021.
DownSouth

Post by DownSouth »

Saw an article on InsideLacrosse that posted some advanced offensive efficiency stats for the PLL and decided to make the same for the SAA as well.

Things to note:
1. Offensive Efficiency is PPG-TOPG (Points per game to Turnovers per game), so the model automatically is going to favor off ball attackman (generally more goals and less turnovers since their usage is down). So, if a midfielder is below the blue line, or close, it is impressive because of all the other things that midfielders do. A 2 way middie with high offensive efficiency is an absolute godsend for a team.

2. I only took the top 15 scorers for the whole SAA. Berry and Sewanee don't have any because no player on their team broke into that threshold (I know they had played less games than others, but it's not like I'm getting paid to do this).

3. THIS IS JUST ONE CHART. This is not all-encompassing of a player's overall value, but it does paint a nice picture of where players stand amongst the SAA. The trendline average is only weighted for the players listed because they were the ones who qualified for the chart.

Takeaways:
1. McAlpin and Cisneros are the two best attackman in the league right now. Cisneros efficiency would have probably increased as the season went on, but McAlpin is a beast, and if you haven't watched him play yet, you should.

2. Through the season BSC looks to have had the most efficient offense.

3. Rhodes has some really good midfielders.

4. Watch out for rising sophomore Will Hubbs on Centre. He only got to play 5 games, but posted some of the better numbers out of the conference this year.

5. Addison Mueller was the most efficient player in the SAA this year.
Attachments
SAAPlayerEff2020.png
SAAPlayerEff2020.png (54.01 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
HornsLax

Post by HornsLax »

Figured with several SAA teams beginning their 2021 campaigns this weekend that it would be good to start back up on the forum. Anyone have any indication of how the SAA will shake in what will be a year unlike any other? Hard to get a read on teams from a shortened 2020 season, but if I had to I would rank them as follows.

1. Rhodes - lost several impact players to graduation, but they seem to set the pace for the conference.
2. Centre - feel like the clear #2. Zimmerman has done great things in his short time in KY. I expect the Rhodes - Centre matchup to be there in late April.
3. BSC - feels like every year they are right there but cannot string together wins when it counts.
4.Berry - Probably the biggest unknown for me.
5. Sewanee - Based on how they were trending last year I have to put them 5th, I know they played good competition early, but the 9-7 loss to Transy sticks out like a sore thumb. Interim HC is still the interim... no word on potential hirings. Brought in a big freshman class, but lacking upperclassmen depth. The former top dogs have been trending down since 2018 and I expect that to continue.
6. That team in Atlanta.

Thoughts?

Thankful to have lacrosse back this weekend!
midwestlaxdad

Post by midwestlaxdad »

What about Hendrix? Is this the year that Oglethorpe catches them??
HornsLax

Post by HornsLax »

my apologies to the Warriors, but I do believe they will be battling Oglethorpe for the last spot in conference. I would love to see the Petrels make some strides forward this year, anyone have any insight with what is going in with that program in Atlanta?
FriedSquirrel

Post by FriedSquirrel »

HornsLax wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 am my apologies to the Warriors, but I do believe they will be battling Oglethorpe for the last spot in conference. I would love to see the Petrels make some strides forward this year, anyone have any insight with what is going in with that program in Atlanta?
Zach Taylor left, they brought back Kyle Morris as interim coach. They lost a few players to graduation and other reasons, but still have the bulk of experienced players back. Looked to be building and improving until they imploded against Greensboro and lost 14-5. Good game and within reach until the end of the third. A Crosse to the Face penalty on a hit after a goal cost them. It went downhill from there. They played two men down, 5-3 for three minutes and then 6-4 for three more minutes after a fight and 5 ejections in the fourth.

They go to Averett Saturday with 5 out for suspension, two possibly out with concussions (one an offensive leader) and at least one other possibly out with injury. How they handle that one will say a lot about what to expect from the rest of the season.
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

Saw the game online; upperclassmen-led defense and goaltending was solid. Offense needs an inside finisher to compliment Hubbs and Shannon, so glad to see sophomore Ginnity having a good day flashing to the crease. Piedmont had strong early goaltending or the game would have been a rout. In other team news, Mason Hoehn has reportedly left as Defensive Coordinator, with his position being filled on an interim basis by former Colonels defenseman Adam Johnson.

Centre pulls away from Piedmont in season-opening victory

DANVILLE, Ky. – Centre men's lacrosse began the 2021 season Saturday morning, topping Piedmont by a 12-6 margin inside Farris Stadium.
Will Hubbs, Chase Poplin and Mick Ginnity recorded three goals apiece, and Wills McCutcheon totaled nine saves in goal.
Dylan Croft shined in his collegiate debut, winning 13 of 17 faceoffs while leading Centre with seven ground balls.

HIGHLIGHTS
- Hubbs scored two unassisted goals within 63 seconds to open the scoring in the first quarter.
- Centre killed two early man-up opportunities for Piedmont, the second of which ended on a McCutcheon save.
- Poplin got on the board in the second quarter off an assist from Duncan MacDonald.
- The Lions pulled within one goal, 3-2, but a late man-up score from Poplin made it 4-2 at the halftime break.
- Ginnity scored the first of his three in the third period, hitting the back of the net as the shotclock expired on an assist by Anthony DiMichele. Poplin added another man-up tally soon after to make it 6-3.
- Midway through the third, Jack Shannon took advantage of a messy transition that left the Piedmont keeper far from the cage, scoring from a long distance. DiMichele added a man-up goal soon after to make it 8-3.
- Hubbs' third goal came near the end of the third, as the sophomore found the mark while absorbing a slashing penalty.
- Piedmont made it a four-goal deficit early in the fourth quarter, but Ginnity sandwiched two goals around one from MacDonald as the Colonels shut down any comeback bid.

INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hubbs totaled five points on three goals and a pair of assists to lead all players. For Ginnity, the goals were the first of his collegiate career.
- Centre out-shot Piedmont 47-37 and also finished with a 33-22 edge in ground balls. Behind Croft, Jack Shannon and Will Morrison followed with five each.
- Ian Hubbs, Graham Robbins and Brenner McCutcheon each caused three turnovers to lead Centre's defensive efforts.
- The Colonels went 3 of 5 on extra man opportunities while holding the Lions to just 1 of 6.

UP NEXT
Centre hosts Transylvania this upcoming Wednesday, March 3, at 7 p.m. ET.
Print Friendly Version

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”