CAC 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Fandadof3laxers

Re: CAC 2020

Post by Fandadof3laxers »

York handled business easily, and SMCM with a quality second half pulled away from Catholic 11-7. Good day for the CAC.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Great game by CNU today against Eastern, topping the eagles 19-7. Was curious to see how this young team would bounce back after their first loss and they didn’t disappoint.

Having their reigning AA attackman Dylan Rice out there definetly helped the offense get settled back in. Glad to see Rice looking like himself out there as he dropped a career high 6 goals.

Defensively they are starting to put the pieces together, but they are still not quite there yet. They seem to be lacking experience on that side of the field and that will come with time. On a positive note, Phoenix Hines is one of the most underrated LSM’s in the country. I’ve never seen someone reek so much havoc in the middle third of the field. It feels like every time he gets dodged on or gets matched up on a D-mid/FOGO he takes the ball away. If you haven’t got the chance to watch him yet I would highly recommend it.

Big matchup for the Captains this Saturday against Stevenson. This game will determine how ready they are to take that leap from good to great.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

St Mary's beats WAC 14-13 in 2OT.

https://www.smcmathletics.com/sports/ml ... r_wac_Trim

Clemmer with the game winner.

Hawks look good so far. Lots of quality teams in the CAC this year.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Nice win Hawks. And lots of MD kids staying close to home and flocking to the River. The team has a lot of kids from good Maryland programs like Loyola, John Carroll, Fallston, CMW, Bel Air, Northern, Linganore, Kent Co, Towson...
Wall Ball1

Post by Wall Ball1 »

Wow what a game with CNU coming back to win 14-13 over Stevenson. Awesome 4th Qtr play and possession with the Captains offense. Almost gave it away at the end. The Captains took advantage of the man up, scoring some goals to get back in this ballgame. Captains goalie McAneney was stopping everything in the 4th Qtr. Nice win for the program.
droliver

Post by droliver »

S. Virginia dominated (22-12) a tough and experienced top 20 Rhodes College team today.
Fandadof3laxers

Post by Fandadof3laxers »

Lock down defense in 4th allowed SMC to pull away from Eastern. Big win puts them at 5-1. Chatter about their trip to Cali being cancelled by admin. Need to pick up some games now from somewhere else. Have other schools altered travel plans as well?
Wall Ball1

Post by Wall Ball1 »

Congrats to senior Captain goalie Scott McAneney on being named CAC Player of the Week. 19 saves, big day
Wall Ball1

Post by Wall Ball1 »

With the NESCAC out for the season. The CAC can have 4 schools in the top 20 with SVU getting votes.
Noz

Post by Noz »

Let's hope season continues. CAC meeting today to discuss Spring Sports status due to coronavirus.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

statement from Salisbury, granted a lot can change... https://www.suseagulls.com/general/2019 ... 0311nl7q5c
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I understand the restriction for spectators at indoor events, shouldn't it be easy to keep 6 feet of separation at an outdoor event at this level? Obviously pro soccer or MLB or other sports with grandstands and huge crowds that would be difficult. I am assuming they want to keep campus visitors to a minimum.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Laxdds wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:45 am I understand the restriction for spectators at indoor events, shouldn't it be easy to keep 6 feet of separation at an outdoor event at this level? Obviously pro soccer or MLB or other sports with grandstands and huge crowds that would be difficult. I am assuming they want to keep campus visitors to a minimum.
My takeaway was at least the seasons have not been canceled at this point. As far as spectators at outdoor events, if they want to limit that population -so be it.. especially if that means the season can continue. My guess is that SU wanted to remove a few variables while trying to be proactive in keeping the season alive. I would also be very interested in how that 6ft separation policy would be enforced at these games. Especially considering that some/most events at this level are not ticketed and there is no assigned seating to begin with. Once again, remove the variable of what that looks like and move forward.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Well... No Cortland this weekend

Cortland athletics suspends contests until March 22nd

https://www.cortlandreddragons.com/news ... ch-12.aspx

https://www.suseagulls.com/general/2019 ... 0312frwb9z
PapaDGee

Post by PapaDGee »

Happy to see Salisbury is at least evaluating the situation as it progresses.
SVU dominated the Merchant Marines today 21-8, giving up only one goal in the second half (with 2 minutes remaining and the game long decided). The CAC could be as interesting as it has been in a long time from top to bottom if the season actually happens.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

My CAC shortened season final rankings:
1. Salisbury (They will always be here until knocked off.)
2/3. CNU and York (This is a toss up and was really looking forward to how this was going to turn out this year.)
4. St. Mary’s (Seemed as if they were on the up but still not there with the top teams.)
5. SVU (Very talented offense, loss to an average Ohio Northern team keeps them from being tied with St. Mary’s.)
6. Mary Washington (Young team that would’ve gotten better as the year went on.)

What’s everyone else thinking?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:48 pm The wilting rose that is the CAC, now reduced to 6 full member institutions, will see some shuffling in my opinion.

Predictions
1. Salisbury - Losing 9 players at Midfield (including Pompea, Gwin & Malamphy (FO)) will have an affect. However, they retain their goalie, and strength at D and Attack. Apgar will only get stronger. So long as they fill the void left by Malamphy at the dot, and Warren keeps an even keel in the cage, they should continue their success.

2. CNU- In my opinion, they lose the least out of the conference’s top 3 teams. They will need to replace Barry (A), Cornell (D) & Cogan (D), among some depth players. They retain their top 3 scorers & goalie. No doubt they’re looking forward to York’s departure from the conference for NCAA considerations, but this is as good a year as any to flex their muscle and push for that 2 spot behind Salisbury before that happens.

3. York- They will look to finish their CAC tenure in a big way (entering MAC Commonwealth 20-21). Key losses include Pffiefer, Davis, McGrath (entire starting attack) & Sasso (FO). Their talent pool is deep, and they have some key JUCO transfer(s) coming in which should help. Jack Michael, entering his second year starting in net, will need to keep his upward trajectory after a stellar freshman campaign. York will need a full commitment to the “next man up” mentality.

4. SMC- While losing 2 of their top 5 scorers (Groen -A, and LaPlata- M), their FOGO (Bucci) and their Goalie (Snodderly), SMC retains their entire starting D and most A and M across the board. The young core will certainly benefit from keeping the a large segment of the team intact. They will, however, need a goalie to step up.

5. SVU- Graduating just 4 players off last year’s 45 man roster can only mean top to bottom development for the program. The only player of note departing, starting GK Arave, allowed over 17 gpg overall, and over 20 gpg in CAC play last year. I believe if they can sure up their Defense and reduce shots against, better goalie numbers will follow (regardless of who the replacement is).

6. UMW- Losing 4 of their top 5 point earners (1-3 + 5 including entire starting attack), their FOGO (Ayer), plus their starting net minder (Senicola) will be difficult to rebound from. This might be the year SVU gets out of the cellar, as last year UMW only edged them 17-16 in triple OT.
Sticking with this.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Slim

Post by Slim »

You nailed it! The York v CNU and SMCM v SVU woulda been great match-ups.
Noz

Post by Noz »

Goldenboy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm My CAC shortened season final rankings:
1. Salisbury (They will always be here until knocked off.)
2/3. CNU and York (This is a toss up and was really looking forward to how this was going to turn out this year.)
4. St. Mary’s (Seemed as if they were on the up but still not there with the top teams.)
5. SVU (Very talented offense, loss to an average Ohio Northern team keeps them from being tied with St. Mary’s.)
6. Mary Washington (Young team that would’ve gotten better as the year went on.)

What’s everyone else thinking?
Don't know about St. Mary's & why people think they were going to be so good. Lost to McD by 6! Not really sure about the competition that SVU played, but offense sure did score. Agree MW young. Really good young offense but absolutely horrific goalie play & porous defense. CNU definitely on upswing!
Slim

Post by Slim »

SMCM coach approached the final game v. McD very differently. Played his entire roster throughout the entire game from start-to-finish. Felt that was more important than getting the W. After watching SMCM play a couple times, I think they win by 3-5 goals if all top guys play entire game. But, McD was more primed to play the game. They looked more focused to me. It's a mute point now though.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”