CAC 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: CAC 2020

Post by kramerica.inc »

SMCM did play their entire bench. All of it. Split time with goalies, fogos, every midfield line ran. Evenly.

It was a good opportunity for all involved. Both the kids for SMCM who didn't normally get to play and McD who was off to a rough start this season.

Truly a "medicine game" for all involved!

Kudos to Coach Childs!
Slim

Post by Slim »

Childs is a class act, and those kids/families are well-served.
Wall Ball1

Post by Wall Ball1 »

https://t.co/6PXhmmbCmF
Inside Lacrosse Freshman of the Year Alex Brendes and his teammate Middy Coby Auslander both on the All Freshman 2020 team. Things are looking bright for the Captains. Mikey Thompson is doing some special things down in Newport News.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Anyone want to stir the pot a bit and make a shortened season ALL-CAC first and second team? I'll give it a go as long as I'm not the only one, but it will be biased since I've only watched York, Salisbury, and CNU play this year.

Edit: I know these list are long but there were some studs this year and I used a combination of national recognition, team success, and personal bias on these picks

POTY: Brett Malamphy FO Salisbury
ROTY: Alex Brendes A CNU

First team:

Attack
Cross Ferrara Jr. Salisbury
Josh Melton Sr. Salisbury
Jude Brown So. St. Marys
Dylan Rice Jr. CNU

Midfield
Jarrett Bromwell Jr. Salisbury
Dylan Wolf Jr. York
Gunnar Reynolds Sr. York

Defense
Brad Apgar Jr. Salisbury
Max Wayne Jr. CNU
Ryan Kennedy Sr. York

Face-off
Brett Malamphy Sr. Salisbury

SSDM
Danny O'Connell Sr. York

LSM
Kevin Murphy Sr. Salisbury

Goalie
Scott McAneney Sr. CNU

Second team:

Attack
Tennison Schmidt Jr. SVU
Alex Brendes Fr. CNU
J.D. Nozemack So. UMW
Zach Danneman Jr. SVU

Midfield
Ty Veres Jr. SVU
Coby Auslander Fr. CNU
Logan Posner So. Salisbury
Dominic Venanzi Jr. St Marys

Defense
Drew Borkwicz Sr. Salisbury
Aidan FitzGerald Jr. CNU
Tyler Nation Fr. York

SSDM
Brad Griek Sr. Salisbury

LSM
Phoenix Hines Jr. CNU

Goalie
T.J. Ellis Sr. Salisbury
yeotiger

Post by yeotiger »

Salisbury’s Moroney is probably best attackman in CAC
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

yeotiger wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:53 pm Salisbury’s Moroney is probably best attackman in CAC
I tend to agree with that statement. If not the best, certainly in the conversation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the kid comes up huge in the big spots. In the games where the Gulls win by 15 or more, he typically only puts up two or three. But in the games that go into overtime or deep into the fourth quarter, he puts up four or five. Kid had a monster sophomore season; Got better as the season wore on, peaked at the end and led the Gulls to the national championship game. Take a look at the wins in the CAC championship against York, the NCAA semi finals against Gettysburg and quarterfinals against CNU to see how the kid carried Salisbury on his back through those games - as a sophomore. Missed his entire junior season with an ACL tear. Came back on fire this season, again carried Salisbury on his back during tight early-season wins over Lynchburg, Gettysburg and Stevens. In that York game, the CNU game, both Gettysburg games and the Stevens games, Salisbury was behind by several goals before Moroney went on tears of unassisted goals to bring the Gulls back and eventually to victories.

Certainly not taking anything away from all of his fabulously talented team mates who obviously contribute to the effort. Just saying that it seems like the kid doesn’t get his due ... While some may put up six or seven goals in games where Salisbury wins by 15 to 20, Moroney’s goals always seem to be much more meaningful.

He is the complete opposite of a “padding his stats” kind of guy.

I thought it was a grave oversight his not getting even honorable mention for All American status (he was named a preseason All American heading into what should have been his junior year before the ACL injury) and not having him even mentioned on an “All CAC“ team renders it simply not credible.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 am
yeotiger wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:53 pm Salisbury’s Moroney is probably best attackman in CAC
I tend to agree with that statement. If not the best, certainly in the conversation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the kid comes up huge in the big spots. In the games where the Gulls win by 15 or more, he typically only puts up two or three. But in the games that go into overtime or deep into the fourth quarter, he puts up four or five. Kid had a monster sophomore season; Got better as the season wore on, peaked at the end and led the Gulls to the national championship game. Take a look at the wins in the CAC championship against York, the NCAA semi finals against Gettysburg and quarterfinals against CNU to see how the kid carried Salisbury on his back through those games - as a sophomore. Missed his entire junior season with an ACL tear. Came back on fire this season, again carried Salisbury on his back during tight early-season wins over Lynchburg, Gettysburg and Stevens. In that York game, the CNU game, both Gettysburg games and the Stevens games, Salisbury was behind by several goals before Moroney went on tears of unassisted goals to bring the Gulls back and eventually to victories.

Certainly not taking anything away from all of his fabulously talented team mates who obviously contribute to the effort. Just saying that it seems like the kid doesn’t get his due ... While some may put up six or seven goals in games where Salisbury wins by 15 to 20, Moroney’s goals always seem to be much more meaningful.

He is the complete opposite of a “padding his stats” kind of guy.

I thought it was a grave oversight his not getting even honorable mention for All American status (he was named a preseason All American heading into what should have been his junior year before the ACL injury) and not having him even mentioned on an “All CAC“ team renders it simply not credible.
The first team I made based on mostly kids that were awarded All-American this season. I do realize I overlooked Moroney. While making the second team I was mostly looking at stats and in this case I should've just went with the eye test.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Not to worry. We all here are just having fun, voicing some opinions and killing time. Extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get everything right all the time. Earlier this season when they started the D3 fans poll for the first one I completely left out York, even though they were a solid team should have been ranked somewhere #5-#10 but I left them out of my top 25 completely. A wicked oversight on my part - it happens 😊
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

One of the best attackman.
That kid Jude Brown from St Mary's is silly. I think he's the best "QB" attackman in the league. Crazy vision and never does too much. As soon as defenses start keying on him he knows when to give out the helper. Fun to watch.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

With Salisbury returning the majority of their starting line up, it’s hard not to put them as the favorite to win the CAC next year. I do think CNU is a closer second than people think though. They bring in some really good transfers:

Steven Cornwell(UMBC), D- started at close for the retrievers before getting injured.
Will Mercado(MSMU), M- extremely talented two-handed middie who should see the field right pretty early in his career.
Jack Cook(Richmond), D- Ty Xanders tweeted this out and I’ve heard around that it is still up in the air but if true, this is a huge steal for the captains. Cook was a 2 year starter at Richmond and will be one of the best players in the CAC right away.

I did some research and some recruits they have that could potentially see the field are:

Carson Hoffman, A- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CG-ox51aL8M
Brandon Young, D- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9VCNdmAd6s
Max Gladieux, M- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9LKBx7FFujI
Andrew Swartz, M https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7628785/5c ... 0c8cc5a4d2

Each class returns a solid group of guys as well.

Freshman: Coby Auslander(IL All-freshman D3 team) and Alex Brendes(IL national freshman of the year)
Sophomore: Brady Altobello(All-CAC as a freshman) and Campbell Pozin
Juniors: Dylan Rice(2x AA, 123 Goals in 46 games), Max Wayne(2x AA), Phoenix Hines(AA, career/season CT holder), Will StockHausen(All-CAC), and Miles Collins(27 points as a D-Mid in 40 games)

I truly believe the captains can be a top 10 team in the country next year if they put the pieces together.

Already looking forward to the Salisbury Vs. CNU Matchup next year. It should be a great one!
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Big news indeed, though none of the newly added schools offer lacrosse. This was bandied about last year as one of the leading options to stave off the conference’s looming demise.

The lacrosse implications are clear. A loss of the AQ (near guarantee for Salisbury) would cause a Division III wide issue. A competitive Salisbury would always garner an at-large bid, leaving one less for everyone else to scrap over.

Similarly within the CAC, a CNU looking to compete at a higher level would find it very difficult to warrant an at-large bid if one were already being dished to Salisbury in conference.

However, outside of AQ considerations (and lacrosse in general) this is a tough sell, at an especially tough time. Schools are only now just beginning to figure out how to reduce sports related travel expenses (potentially 10-20% or more). It takes a special kind of “tone deaf” to end this press release with how the increased travel will benefit the student athletes.... read the room for Pete’s sake. (just my take)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I agree with everything deep pocket said. And add York to the conversation- who has legit established themselves in the D3 lax scene too.

I think this reeks of a last ditch, Hail Mary effort to keep the CAC afloat...The big conference rebranding to come...

:shock:

Seems like a tough economic model to sustain given the current economic climate and some of the schools involved.

Like the UC banana slugs- their biggest claim to fame was the tee shirt from Pulp Fiction. The school was about to cancel college sports completely just a couple years ago, but students agreed to pay more to keep them around, at least temporarily.

Who knows, maybe this rebranded conference has a magic Bullet that solves the problem/cost of cross country travel...But I’m not holding my breath.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

How is it even theoretically possible for a D3 conference to have schools from California, Michigan, Wisconsin, MA, NY, Virginia and MD? Last ditch or not, I don't know how they propose this with a straight face. These aren't exactly a bunch of well off powerhouses here, these are mostly small, economically tenuous, very local schools. How they hell are they proposing (for some of them) to fly every team for almost literally every away game?
Homer

Post by Homer »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:52 pm How is it even theoretically possible for a D3 conference to have schools from California, Michigan, Wisconsin, MA, NY, Virginia and MD? Last ditch or not, I don't know how they propose this with a straight face. These aren't exactly a bunch of well off powerhouses here, these are mostly small, economically tenuous, very local schools. How they hell are they proposing (for some of them) to fly every team for almost literally every away game?
They aren't. No regular-season play in conference. Postseason conference tournament only.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Whelp, alrighty then. A “conference” with no regular season, just a post-season tournament? I guess teams can’t be seeded for that as there would be no conference record, just rotating the tournament site? Obviously, this is madness too and will not really be in any sense a conference. Pretty sure that would not qualify for an AQ either no matter how many teams it had.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Taken right from the press release

“Q: Which sports will have automatic qualification (AQ) into the NCAA tournament?
A: Baseball, M&W Basketball, M&W Lacrosse, M&W Soccer, Softball, M&W Tennis, W Volleyball”

It would appear retaining AQs played a large role in this move, as not much else makes sense.

Wonder what the conversations with the NCAA were like while they were floating this idea in regard to AQ retention.

So glad York is out of this mess.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 am Taken right from the press release

“Q: Which sports will have automatic qualification (AQ) into the NCAA tournament?
A: Baseball, M&W Basketball, M&W Lacrosse, M&W Soccer, Softball, M&W Tennis, W Volleyball”

It would appear retaining AQs played a large role in this move, as not much else makes sense.

Wonder what the conversations with the NCAA were like while they were floating this idea in regard to AQ retention.

Fair enough but I will believe this when I see it, a “conference” where the schools do not play each other. So they all have to schedule as independents? They keep playing members of their old conferences but while now being part of a difference conference? The old CAC schools I assume will still play each other but not the new schools. One way or another this is temporary, this isn’t a permanent solution.
Homer

Post by Homer »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 am
DeepPocket wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:40 am Taken right from the press release

Fair enough but I will believe this when I see it, a “conference” where the schools do not play each other. So they all have to schedule as independents? They keep playing members of their old conferences but while now being part of a difference conference? The old CAC schools I assume will still play each other but not the new schools. One way or another this is temporary, this isn’t a permanent solution.
AFAICT it's sort of a reverse merger. They're keeping the CAC name and -- most critically -- autobid, but in reality it's the 3 remaining CAC schools joining the ACAA, not the other way around.

The ACAA has existed for a few years now as a sort of consortium of D3 independents using the same postseason-only model, but I don't think they ever had an autobid in any sport. So Salisbury, CNU, and UMW are getting absorbed into that existing structure, and will schedule as de facto independents for the regular season. But the former ACAA's postseason events will now be "the CAC tournament" and carry the CAC's autobid with them.

At least that's how I interpret the press release.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Thanks Homer, that is a good explanation of what they are trying to do and makes more sense then the other schools really going into the CAC. No doubt many schools and conferences are going to have to try to get creative to keep sports going over the next few years.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”