NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by Laxxal22 »

Bowdoin picks up Liam Ford (St. Sebastian’s 2020, PGing at Exeter). Big, athletic middie who’s real strong between the boxes and defensively. Honestly think he could pick up a pole in college and be a beastly two-way lsm.

https://youtu.be/EX_SKLfZNaw
lilax

Post by lilax »

I know that the classes are typically strong.

But as a whole, everyone from Tufts to Conn College, the recruiting classes looked to be off the charts with talent.

Exciting stuff!
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

Hamilton's statement on fall sports:

https://athletics.hamilton.edu/general/ ... 0709z0ry21
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

This is big news, although not surprising. All NESCAC fall sports are cancelled. The statement below is pretty vague — not as detailed as the Ivy League press release which said not only fall sports are cancelled, but also all sports before Jan 1.

https://www.nescac.com/news/2019-20/NES ... _Statement
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not sure if this was posted before, sorry if so, but NCAA has announced a waiver for all D3 athletes whose sport plays <50% of their scheduled games during 2020-2021 school year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:51 am Not sure if this was posted before, sorry if so, but NCAA has announced a waiver for all D3 athletes whose sport plays <50% of their scheduled games during 2020-2021 school year.
Shame that by canceling seasons outright, without scheduling any games, it appears these schools are denying student athletes the opportunity to take advantage of this.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I could be wrong but that wasn’t my read on it. I think if the whole season is cancelled they all get waivers. It read 50% of the maximum schedule of games so that seems like it would be based on the number of games they were limiting teams to playing. Here is what I read.

Division 3 student-athletes will not be charged with participation for the 2020-21 season if their team can complete only 50 percent or less of the sport’s maximum contests/dates of competition due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NCAA announced Thursday.

The Division 3 Administrative Committee had approved a recommendation from the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement to provide a blanket waiver in all sports that are unable to reach the 50 percent threshold, providing student-athletes with the option of extending their participation.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:08 am I could be wrong but that wasn’t my read on it. I think if the whole season is cancelled they all get waivers. It read 50% of the maximum schedule of games so that seems like it would be based on the number of games they were limiting teams to playing. Here is what I read.

Division 3 student-athletes will not be charged with participation for the 2020-21 season if their team can complete only 50 percent or less of the sport’s maximum contests/dates of competition due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the NCAA announced Thursday.

The Division 3 Administrative Committee had approved a recommendation from the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement to provide a blanket waiver in all sports that are unable to reach the 50 percent threshold, providing student-athletes with the option of extending their participation.
Ah. I see. Well that certainly seems more reasonable.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Based upon that announcement it appears if (hopefully will not be the case) there is an abbreviated spring players could get a second year of relief? While it is fair to the players who aren’t getting to play will cause a huge backlog of incoming recruits.
Last edited by nehslaxfan on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

True.
I think the talent will push itself "down" to other newer and growing programs for increased opportunities.
Expect more parity if/when things open back up.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Team captain and 2020 AA, Tom Martello will be returning to Wesleyan for his extra year of eligibility after amassing a team leading 19 points in the four games played last year.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Not specific to lacrosse, or even to athletics, but an interesting article about Colby's fall semester plans. Sounds like a lot of testing.

They expect the brand new Alfond Center for Athletics and Recreation to be a busy, and safe, spot.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2020/08/16/c ... to-arrive/
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Jaycolb_ashton wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:49 pm Is mcafee looking to play d1? I can see Hoffman getting some good looks. Coffey can finish so he’ll find a spot. Mcafee probably not likely to make it through a d1 fall though (assuming he’s look to play something like big East). Good athlete, plays hard between the lines but not sure if his defensive prowess plays at a higher level.
Villanova for McAfee. https://twitter.com/NovaLacrosse/status ... 4589813761
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I hear Tufts is having 2 x per week fall-ball practices with 10 or fewer players per group (until something goes awry of course).

I have also heard that admin. has specifically identified the sports teams, with the men's lax team being the leading candidate, as potential spreaders, so that team is being super cautious.

Praying for a 2021 season.

Best,
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

As much as no one likes to be singled out in this case if it allows them to play in the spring all will be worth it. I believe the Nescac has changed the rules to allow for more fall practices, hopefully they realize they are going to practice one way or another so best to have coaches supervise.
Unknown Participant

nehslaxfan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm As much as no one likes to be singled out in this case if it allows them to play in the spring all will be worth it. I believe the Nescac has changed the rules to allow for more fall practices, hopefully they realize they are going to practice one way or another so best to have coaches supervise.
Yes coach led. I just wish my local state sport sanctioning board had the foresight to allow all those athletes/coaches that lost a spring season do some organized activity this fall. That would help mitigate 1 full year of noncoaching.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:14 pm
nehslaxfan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm As much as no one likes to be singled out in this case if it allows them to play in the spring all will be worth it. I believe the Nescac has changed the rules to allow for more fall practices, hopefully they realize they are going to practice one way or another so best to have coaches supervise.
Yes coach led. I just wish my local state sport sanctioning board had the foresight to allow all those athletes/coaches that lost a spring season do some organized activity this fall. That would help mitigate 1 full year of noncoaching.
Wow. They are letting coaches lead fall ball? That certainly is a new one in the CAC. I agree that it certainly makes sense to have coaches involved if the players are going to be getting together but making sense has not always been exactly a foundational requirement for NESCAC rules. Good to hear though.
Unknown Participant

pcowlax wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:14 pm
Wow. They are letting coaches lead fall ball? That certainly is a new one in the CAC. I agree that it certainly makes sense to have coaches involved if the players are going to be getting together but making sense has not always been exactly a foundational requirement for NESCAC rules. Good to hear though.
Probably has more to do with social-distancing guideline enforcing, but I like to think it is in part having to do with the missed coaching from last spring.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

This is good news for Tufts lacrosse and why they are traditionally the best in NESCAC and the NCAA. They find solutions and take positive steps to get better. I don’t think any other NESCAC schools are practicing, even though they all have been given permission to hold coach’s practices.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”