NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:07 am
MA Lax Fan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 am Assuming there is no vaccine, for years, is this the new normal that everyone is willing to accept?

No sports, no clubs, no socializing, 1/2 the kids on campus, etc....

Is there a breaking point with parents or students where they start to pushback with their enrollment or checkbooks?

I’m genuinely interested to know if people are ok with this set up if it still exists a year or two from now....
Take a look at the 100 or so pages of the china virus thread in "Politics." Basically, the libs (including 100% of Hopkins fans) believe (and want) this to be the new normal for the foreseeable future. And damn any adverse affects it may have on students (from elementary through college), restaurant owners/employees, etc.

I'm sorta' willing to accept it basically for one year max. So it needs to end with spring sports. No way would I be willing to accept it longer. (I think it is much overblown as it is, .... and that it ends with the election.)
including 100% of Hopkins fans who post there.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

A decision about spring sports will be made in coming months in coordination with the NCAA and NESCAC.

While the NESCAC has not yet addressed spring sport competitions, spring athletes should be aware that current conditions would not allow us to engage in competition.

Based on this statement, a lacrosse season this spring is very unlikely to happen.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:26 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:07 am
MA Lax Fan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 am Assuming there is no vaccine, for years, is this the new normal that everyone is willing to accept?

No sports, no clubs, no socializing, 1/2 the kids on campus, etc....

Is there a breaking point with parents or students where they start to pushback with their enrollment or checkbooks?

I’m genuinely interested to know if people are ok with this set up if it still exists a year or two from now....
Take a look at the 100 or so pages of the china virus thread in "Politics." Basically, the libs (including 100% of Hopkins fans) believe (and want) this to be the new normal for the foreseeable future. And damn any adverse affects it may have on students (from elementary through college), restaurant owners/employees, etc.

I'm sorta' willing to accept it basically for one year max. So it needs to end with spring sports. No way would I be willing to accept it longer. (I think it is much overblown as it is, .... and that it ends with the election.)
including 100% of Hopkins fans who post there.
Touché
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Please forgive the snark, but I suppose I get defensive when our most prominent posters are our brand around here. I also thought I might learn something on the china virus thread in "Politics", visited, and then resolved to never go back. There is a poster pcowlax who appears helpful in the D1 board. I first noticed him here. Shame he is not a Hopkins fan.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Swarthmore closing spring sports, can the NESCAC be far behind. Can’t imagine being a junior last season, lose my junior year and now being threatened in losing my senior year as well. Curious to see if there are any NESCAC transfers or potential recruits who don’t want to run the risk of not playing in the NESCAC conference. NESCAC was one of the first conferences to shut down last season. Are the schools providing any discounts on tuition without sports and virtual classes being held
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 pm Swarthmore closing spring sports, can the NESCAC be far behind. Can’t imagine being a junior last season, lose my junior year and now being threatened in losing my senior year as well. Curious to see if there are any NESCAC transfers or potential recruits who don’t want to run the risk of not playing in the NESCAC conference. NESCAC was one of the first conferences to shut down last season. Are the schools providing any discounts on tuition without sports and virtual classes being held
A slight refund of a portion of last year's room and board. No discount this year that I am aware of. Of course, my daughter's state school did not offer a discount and they are 100% remote and not on campus. Madness.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:20 pm ... (I think it is much overblown as it is, .... and that it ends with the election.)
I think that is wishful thinking. This virus is not a political phenomena. It's real. Whether the virus merits shutting down, for example, the lacrosse season is a different question. but to think that the virus is going to disappear or that the actions being taken to slow down the virus will discontinue after the election is just wishful thinking. Relatively recently, others have tried this and paid for it dearly. Israel, Germany, Holland, etc. But back to lacrosse, if tomorrow was Feb.1, there'd be no season. But tomorrow is October 16 so... Hope springs eternal. What does build my optimism is that several states are playing HS Soccer including post-season tourneys. Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, etc. So are some NCAA D1 soccer teams and a lot of D1 Women's soccer teams. I believe there's room for bridled optimism.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
AOD

Post by AOD »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 pm Are the schools providing any discounts on tuition without sports and virtual classes being held
Bates, Colby, Hamilton and Tufts are on campus and largely in class. Williams, Amherst and Bowdoin have selected students on campus. No idea what's happening at the Connecticut schools.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Pretty impressed and proud, not just about Colby's new Harold Alfond Athletics Center, but with how the college is making use of it, and dealing with COVID in general during these times.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 274f41d82b

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/colb ... ii-sports/
lilax

Post by lilax »

Muleski wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:32 pm Pretty impressed and proud, not just about Colby's new Harold Alfond Athletics Center, but with how the college is making use of it and dealing with COVID in general during these times.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 274f41d82b

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/colb ... ii-sports/
My only problem with that is how the heck didn't they build a full indoor turf facility with some of the 200 million?

It would benefit every outdoor sports team. And I'm sure all of the surrounding colleges like Bowdoin and Bates would have paid to utilize it. Seems like the only thing they missed on with the center.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Thomas Muldoon is no longer listed as an assistant on the Amherst website and it looks like Coach Devoe hired Dan Morris (UMD '18) away from Endicott.
SimpleLax

Post by SimpleLax »

Prospects of spring season appear to be dimming.

Bowdoin’s on campus plan for the spring was to bring back seniors and select upperclassman and freshman who are currently on campus have to go off campus. They had previously said some type of accomododation would be made for Freshman spring athletes if there was a season but just announced no Freshman will be allowed on campus and even if there is a spring season, no Freshman may participate.

Colby announced spring on campus plan same as fall plan. No spring break but a few long weekends however they are stipulating no student can leave the state of Maine during the semester. Not sure how that can reconcile allowing athletes to travel out of state while sequestering the rest of the student body during the spring semester.

Nothing definitive in these announcements but get the feeling these are two votes in the no spring season column when the NESCAC votes.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Am hearing other NESCACs are limiting students on campus in the spring. If limiting students and/or whole classes, hard to see how they will support spring sports. Anyone know when the NESCAC might make a decision?
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Which other schools are limiting spring attendance? Hopefully we will have a season even if not a normal season.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

From the Midd AD's announcement about winter sports cancelation on October 8th....
https://athletics.middlebury.edu/news/2 ... etics.aspx

"A decision about spring sports will be made in coming months in coordination with the NCAA and NESCAC. While the NESCAC has not yet addressed spring sport competitions, spring athletes should be aware that current conditions would not allow us to engage in competition. If a decision is made to move forward with spring NESCAC competition, we will announce a separate February return date for spring athletes."

From the school leadership's "Spring Preview" release dated October 27th....
https://www.middlebury.edu/office/midd2 ... er-preview

"While we are not yet able to make a decision about spring athletics, we expect conditions to be similar to those of the current semester. We will make an announcement about NESCAC play at a later date. Even if there is not full NESCAC conference play, we will do everything we can to work toward limited regional play in the warmer months, as COVID-19 conditions allow."

That last part of the president's statement: "we will do everything we can to work toward limited regional play in the warmer months" - Get ready for some Middleburry v Norwich, Castleton, & St Mike's games???
BackItUpLacrosse

Post by BackItUpLacrosse »

Tufts Alum and Current Boston Cannon John Uppgren joined us to talk about his lacrosse journey and break down his style of play! Check out the full episode here: https://youtu.be/rJFj7RDtbiA
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

By the looks..it doesn't seem like a full nescac season is going to happen this year, with Amherst and Bowdoin not bringing all students back..anybody got an inside scoop?
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”