NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by smoova »

DuckLax wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:40 am
smoova wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 am
JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am What a travesty.
I recall folks having a similar reaction to the NESCAC's decision to cancel spring sports in early March.
Insanity. Using data from Massachusetts:

For the 20-29 age group:

% Testing positive: 1.41%
% of those testing positive who were hospitalized: 1.8%
% of total age group hospitalized: 0.026%
% of those hospitalized who died: 3.8%
% of those testing positive who died: 0.07%

% of Age group hospitalized for COVID: 0.026%
% of Age group died of COVID: 0.001%
Perhaps the Bowdoin administration is not focused exclusively on the 20-29 age group.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

smoova wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 am

Perhaps the Bowdoin administration is not focused exclusively on the 20-29 age group.
maybe they should be......

given that 99.9% of their "customers" fall into that category. Without them, the rest of that institution ceases to exist.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

and without the professors the institution ceases to exist.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 pm and without the professors the institution ceases to exist.
I bet if they had layoffs for a portion of the faculty, those remaining might rethink their view on their willingness to take the "risk" of living life semi-normally in the post-COVID world.
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

DuckLax wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:36 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 pm and without the professors the institution ceases to exist.
I bet if they had layoffs for a portion of the faculty, those remaining might rethink their view on their willingness to take the "risk" of living life semi-normally in the post-COVID world.
We are not a "post-COVID world" right now or this fall...a lot of people on this thread throwing rocks who have a lot less knowledge about running a college than the current President of Bowdoin. They are also throwing rocks with a lot less information than the presidents of these colleges and universities have. NO ONE is applauding any closures, future online semesters and the loss of athletic seasons.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

True - which goes to show - these schools are about themselves. The students are just the raw material and product. I'm pretty sure that among the 40 million unemployed, there are a few dozen skilled educators who'd jump at the chance to teach at a NESCAC school, risks and all...
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

Also - there IS NO VACCINE. There may never be one. At what point do we as a society decide to move forward?
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Superlite2 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:08 pm
We are not a "post-COVID world" right now or this fall...a lot of people on this thread throwing rocks who have a lot less knowledge about running a college than the current President of Bowdoin. They are also throwing rocks with a lot less information than the presidents of these colleges and universities have. NO ONE is applauding any closures, future online semesters and the loss of athletic seasons
The substantial data we now have about COVID indicates little to no risk for most people under the age of 40 - the data is available for anyone to review, without any filtering by "suspect" individuals, if you care to do the work.

Having watched those in charge of various aspects of American life flounder to make sensible decisions over the last few months, I will continue to question the decisions those people make, and reach my own conclusions about the wisdom of their decisions in light of the information that is available. This is not "throwing rocks" it is the application of critical thought.

The question of students returning to schools and colleges this fall is not a matter of "inconvenience" - it is critical to the health and well being of those students that they are allowed to get back to work, and life.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Well said.
smoova

Post by smoova »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:02 pm The question of students returning to schools and colleges this fall is not a matter of "inconvenience" - it is critical to the health and well being of those students that they are allowed to get back to work, and life.
Wow.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

We are not a "post-COVID world" right now or this fall...a lot of people on this thread throwing rocks who have a lot less knowledge about running a college than the current President of Bowdoin. They are also throwing rocks with a lot less information than the presidents of these colleges and universities have. NO ONE is applauding any closures, future online semesters and the loss of athletic seasons.
This isn't wrong but what cc2519 said is true as well. There is not going to be a widely available vaccine this fall and almost certainly not next spring. It is indeed possible, though not likely, that there will never be one. All viral illnesses have not be amenable to vaccine development (though vastly different in regards to structure and mechanism of pathophysiology, look at HIV for which there has been a massive, multi-national, multi-billion dollar effort for 30 years to develop a vaccine without success). Even if there is one, it is not so simple as running off 7 billion doses, it takes a long time to scale up production and healthy college kids will be and should be just about last on the list of priority as it becomes available. I have significant sympathy to those who feel re-opening is being rushed but less so when they can't name a metric or bar for when opening should be allowed. If you just say we can't "go back to normal", with normal including such fundamental aspects of civilization as kids going to school or attending college, until there is a vaccine, you are not really making any sort of adult argument. Nor is saying we have to stay closed until we "flatten the curve" or other such vapid bromides. If you believe college should be remote this fall despite the extraordinarily low mortality for people that age, OK, but when then, specifically, would you be OK with it?
viper

Post by viper »

smoova wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:08 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:02 pm The question of students returning to schools and colleges this fall is not a matter of "inconvenience" - it is critical to the health and well being of those students that they are allowed to get back to work, and life.
Wow.
And when those students "go home" to see their families or become super-spreaders then we can talk about the percentages for the folks above 30, 40 and 50. It's no a coincidence that the numbers in the European Union (approximate in population to the US) are going down as fast as the US numbers are rising.

It seems that the "herd immunity" philosophy is implicitly becoming the path for the US and the numbers are indicative of that. All that is apparent is that it's a path of maximum mortality - and if you think that's okay - it's your perogative. It's just much harder to bear when those sacrifices hit home.

Without clear guidance or a unified plan, all states, localities, schools, etc are left to fend for themselves and must make whatever decision they see as best for their community as a whole, not just one group. I am glad I am not in a position to have to make a decision like that.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:23 pm
This isn't wrong but what cc2519 said is true as well. There is not going to be a widely available vaccine this fall and almost certainly not next spring. It is indeed possible, though not likely, that there will never be one. All viral illnesses have not be amenable to vaccine development (though vastly different in regards to structure and mechanism of pathophysiology, look at HIV for which there has been a massive, multi-national, multi-billion dollar effort for 30 years to develop a vaccine without success). Even if there is one, it is not so simple as running off 7 billion doses, it takes a long time to scale up production and healthy college kids will be and should be just about last on the list of priority as it becomes available. I have significant sympathy to those who feel re-opening is being rushed but less so when they can't name a metric or bar for when opening should be allowed. If you just say we can't "go back to normal", with normal including such fundamental aspects of civilization as kids going to school or attending college, until there is a vaccine, you are not really making any sort of adult argument. Nor is saying we have to stay closed until we "flatten the curve" or other such vapid bromides. If you believe college should be remote this fall despite the extraordinarily low mortality for people that age, OK, but when then, specifically, would you be OK with it?
PCOWLAX - this is exactly it. When you ask people for specific, objective, transparent metrics (with commonly accepted definitions), they can't give them. This is the first time in world history when we have responded to an epidemic by quarantining HEALTHY people for an extended period of time. It's insanity, and because there are no defined metrics for a complete "re-opening", there isn't going to BE one, any time soon. I think people expecting HS or college lacrosse (or college) to come back in any "normal" form within the next 2 years are kidding themselves. Not because it shouldn't (it absolutely should), but because we've put ourselves in a situation where there simply isn't the political or social will to do the rational thing: have this virus work its way through the general population as FAST as possible, but not fast enough to overwhelm the ability of our healthcare system to effectively treat the people severely impacted by it.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

As of today, Tufts is going back to school (all classes) in September. Don't know about fall sports.
SoLaxNC

Post by SoLaxNC »

Looks like Midd is going to be back on campus this fall as well with the intent to engage in athletics but details to be figured out in conjunction with its NESCAC peers. Academically 1/3 of its 530 courses will be taught online. Conn College just posted that it too will be back on campus this fall with a modified academic calendar.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Generally good news on the decisions of fall plans coming Tufts, Midd, and CC.

Glad to see that there are some more clear thinking from these institutions than what came out of Brunswick...although not surprising. And I'm not holding my breath that there will be any reasonableness coming from the school previously known as the lord jeffs.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

Another interesting take on the AC incident

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... t-34850633
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

That article is scathing. On all fronts. The school's bungled handling of the studewnt disciplines, the terrible search process, and of course the final outcome for Thompson. Biddy scapegoated Thompson in the pursuit of an agenda, and fired him without cause. He deserves an apology at the very least and is likely due a legal settlement. Now his career and future has been negatively effected and the course has been negatively altered.
I hope Thompson is pursuing a legal resolution to get a share of that $2B endowment.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Only a few more days until we'll start hearing about 2021 NESCAC commits. Hopefully that will help this thread turn the page from the Amherst dead horse that has beaten into glue.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not lacrosse related per se but Williams has announced they will not be competing in fall sports. They will be on campus and teams can practice in small groups but no travel and no games. NESCAC without formal fall ball anyway so I don't think this will affect lax much for now but I think a spring 21 season is very iffy at this point (not that I agree with that, just what seems most likely).

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”