NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nehslaxfan

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by nehslaxfan »

While I feel for the Amherst coach I think the Pressler comparison is way off base based upon the circumstances of each situation.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

I know the name Dylan Sheridan was thrown around on here as a candidate for the Amherst job. Some people on social media (and maybe here too?) were upset that Sheridan was not offered the job....sounded like he was the candidate that the students-athletes involved in the search had wanted. His resume would certainly have made him a great hire.

Posts on the D1 / B1G 10 thread mention Sheridan as stepping down from his Assistant Coaching job at Ohio State to spend more time with his family. An article about Sheridan's departure from OSU on Inside Lacrosse says:

"Sources tell IL that Sheridan, whose wife is the women's lacrosse head coach at Kent State, stepped down to spend more time with his family after living in Columbus during the week and commuting home on weekends since taking the job."

Makes me wonder if Sheridan WAS offered the Amherst job but declined, as it sounds like his wife is happy at Kent and he did not want to be away from family????

We'll have no way of ever knowing if this happened or not, but at the off chance that he was offered the job and declined; some of the critiques of the Amherst Admin (as they relate to the search / hiring process) may not be as warranted as first thought.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Dylan Sheridan was not offered the Amherst job. Two other candidates were and turned it down, but not Sheridan. And yes he was far and away the top choice of the student-athletes, in large part because he came to the table immensely more prepared than the other candidates. He knew the backgrounds of a lot of the players, knew the NESCAC recruiting rules, pretty much was on top of everything. The other candidates were a distant second to Sheridan.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Not to knock Sheridan in anyway but how could the others not go in for an interview at a premiere job and not be prepared with this type of info?
smoova

Post by smoova »

nehslaxfan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:54 am Not to knock Sheridan in anyway but how could the others not go in for an interview at a premiere job and not be prepared with this type of info?
Perhaps, given the recent turmoil, they viewed the interview as more of an opportunity for the administration to sell the position to them, rather than an opportunity to sell themselves as a fit for the program.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

Three new hires in AC’s athletics department within the past three weeks :shock:
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Four new hires, not three - lacrosse, basketball, squash and women's volleyball
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

nehslaxfan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:54 am Not to knock Sheridan in anyway but how could the others not go in for an interview at a premiere job and not be prepared with this type of info?
I would surmise, is one man's case, he didn't really want the job; or, he was begged to apply..
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Not sure this had been mentioned yet, but I saw on Midd's Lacrosse Instagram page that Mike McCormack will be taking his 5th year at UVM.

middmlacrosse
Finishing up our senior spotlights this week. First up is Michael McCormack from Williamstown, MA. It wasn’t hard to see Mike’s skillset on game day, but what everyone didn’t see were the countless hours of work he put into his game. The special part about this past season was watching Michael’s leadership on the field, making his teammates better. His effort, leadership and impact led to him being awarded the Lou Monroe MVP. We are excited to watch Mike continue his career at the University of Vermont. Good luck Mike! #AgentZero #✌️✌️

Very excited to see how he does up there....at the very least he should be a constant on their man up unit, but I have to think he'll be a key contributor for the Cats.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

That should be a real nice fit. Middlebury - UVM used to be a pretty solid rivalry when DI-DIII crossover games were still a thing.

Any word on a landing spit for Hoffman from Williams yet? As one of the few DIII guys taken in the MLL draft, plus a Williams degree, I'd imagine he has suitors and the ability to get into a lot of grad programs.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Has anyone heard of plans for spring sports as of yet? I’ll b interesting to see how everything works out. Hopefully the numbers stay under control and it is a normal spring season.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

nehslaxfan wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:47 am Has anyone heard of plans for spring sports as of yet? I’ll b interesting to see how everything works out. Hopefully the numbers stay under control and it is a normal spring season.
As frustrating as it is for the lacrosse community I highly doubt any admistrators have even begun to think about the spring. Fall sports and school starting are the only thing they're worried about at this point. Keep fingers crossed that fall sports go off without too much issue and hopefully that will be a good omen for spring sports.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

boredatwork wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:00 pm Fall sports and school starting are the only thing they're worried about at this point.
I’m afraid you might only be half right about that one. At schools that have a high portion of revenue tied into tuition, administrators might be worrying about the negative impact on enrollment, should there be no fall sports; but sadly I don’t think any NESCAC school is all that concerned with having fall sports this year. Student athletes will either take a year off and come back (no money loss over the long term) or come back to school regardless.

The results of the mandatory testing of athletes happening at the D1 level right now is making every D3 AD in the country take a good hard look at things. D3 schools won’t have the means to test every athlete regularly so the data being collected at the D1 schools during summer workouts might be the nail in the coffin for D3 fall sports.....I hope I’m wrong.
SoLaxNC

Post by SoLaxNC »

Bowdoin just announced today, freshman and transfers only on campus this fall. No fall sports and no winter sports prior to Jan 1. If the fall goes 'well' seniors will be given priority to access campus in the spring. Winter and spring athletes maybe able to engage with their sports in some way. No specifics provided.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

SoLaxNC wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:16 am Bowdoin just announced today, freshman and transfers only on campus this fall. No fall sports and no winter sports prior to Jan 1. If the fall goes 'well' seniors will be given priority to access campus in the spring. Winter and spring athletes maybe able to engage with their sports in some way. No specifics provided.
What a travesty. If I were an upperclassman at Bowdoin, I would withdraw immediately.

The data supports the idea that COVID presents almost no threat to college-age kids. $25K in tuition to learn online, with no guarantee that they will be back on campus in 2021.

I have to believe that even with Bowdoin's considerable endowment, this decision - not COVID, this decision - could create an existential threat to the future of the college.
smoova

Post by smoova »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am What a travesty.
I recall folks having a similar reaction to the NESCAC's decision to cancel spring sports in early March.
Last edited by smoova on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

SoLaxNC wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:16 am Bowdoin just announced today, freshman and transfers only on campus this fall. No fall sports and no winter sports prior to Jan 1. If the fall goes 'well' seniors will be given priority to access campus in the spring. Winter and spring athletes maybe able to engage with their sports in some way. No specifics provided.
And then Freshman have to do "remote learning" (ie not on campus) in the spring semester.....so if you are a freshman, you dont get to play lacrosse even if there is a season? This is crazy
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am
The data supports the idea that COVID presents almost no threat to college-age kids. $25K in tuition to learn online, with no guarantee that they will be back on campus in 2021.

I have to believe that even with Bowdoin's considerable endowment, this decision - not COVID, this decision - could create an existential threat to the future of the college.
Actually $28k ($27,911 to be exact) for online learning a Bowdoin.......
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Given the opportunity, I wonder how many (wealthy) people, if no one knew, would pay $100K over 4 years so that their child could put Bowdoin College '24 on their resume. No classes, no education, no sports, etc. Just $100K for the gold stamp.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

smoova wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 am
JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am What a travesty.
I recall folks having a similar reaction to the NESCAC's decision to cancel spring sports in early March.
Insanity. Using data from Massachusetts:

For the 20-29 age group:

% Testing positive: 1.41%
% of those testing positive who were hospitalized: 1.8%
% of total age group hospitalized: 0.026%
% of those hospitalized who died: 3.8%
% of those testing positive who died: 0.07%

% of Age group hospitalized for COVID: 0.026%
% of Age group died of COVID: 0.001%

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”