ODAC 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldlaw

Re: ODAC 2020

Post by oldlaw »

There is an incipient Facebook movement to drop Lee from the name at W&L and a number of similar suggestions about campus life and some of the buildings. There is very strong, well organized and funded opposition from a large group of alumni, but given the current PC obsessed administration, anything could happen..
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

They changed Washington and Lee high school in Arlington VA to Washington and Liberty a few years ago
remote

Post by remote »

FXLax wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 pm They changed Washington and Lee high school in Arlington VA to Washington and Liberty a few years ago
How about Washington and Lincoln...keep the W&L
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

You might need to dig up a body too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Chapel
remote

Post by remote »

Washington and Lexington?
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 pm Perhaps Washington & Gwar? https://globalnews.ca/news/7067675/geor ... ert-e-lee/
🤟🤟🤟
laxfan91

Post by laxfan91 »

This is a lacrosse forum. Can we please stick to only lacrosse.
Any new recruits coming into ODAC?
Any very early preseason rankings?
swf

Post by swf »

Switzerland » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:53 pm

JBFortunato wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:24 pm
Perhaps Washington & Gwar? https://globalnews.ca/news/7067675/geor ... ert-e-lee/
Interesting story. I never heard of the fellow and already his petition has nearly 50,000 signatures to replace Robert E. Lee riding Lee’s horse.

Washington and Oderus Urungus University. How would that impact lacrosse recruiting? I bet it would finish the college. They’d have to merge into Liberty University and at that moment Men’s Lacrosse would be D 1 where some say they should have remained when they had the opportunity like Hobart and Hopkins did.

If the Trustees elect to try to ride out the storm, I’d suggest they keep the Lee name but footnote everything that it refers to Major-General Henry Lee III (Light-Horse Harry), a Revolutionary War hero, 9th Governor of Virginia and patriot; not his eighth child, Robert Edward.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

I'm sure many of you already know this, and correct me if I am wrong, but it is not like W&L has not changed its name before. There is an interesting history with Washington College (on the eastern shore) regarding that name. Originally, WAC was the "College at Chester" while W&L was Washington College. WAC had General Washington join the board and began using Washington at Chester, and then Washington College when W&L eventually added the L. Or that is my understanding of the history.

Honestly, I think W&L should drop the L as a reference to the Confederate general who was, literally, a traitor to the United States. I understand some people view it with more nuance and there is a lot of local history involved, but lets be frank - the Confederate General Lee (not his Revolutionary War relative) fought against the United States for the Confederacy, which was explicitly founded to preserve the institution of slavery.

I recognize this sort of argument leads to questions with using General Washington's name as well, as he did own slaves. Same thing with Jefferson at UVA. But one could differentiate those founding fathers with the Confederate generals and leaders insofar as the latter set explicitly were traitors to the U.S. in defense of slavery.

But anyway, just reference the W&L's use of the L to use the L for another important L. There are plenty of good candidates, as some have already mentioned.

Edit: Also, for those who don't know, WAC is used by people instead of WC (for the eastern shore college) to reference this history - Washington at Chester, not just Washington College. Food for thought.
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

I should not have made my earlier post about the name issue. As a poster has since noted, this is a lax forum, and the name issue is not a topic that really belongs here.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

oldlaw wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:00 pm I should not have made my earlier post about the name issue. As a poster has since noted, this is a lax forum, and the name issue is not a topic that really belongs here.
I really don’t see it as an issue that you would need to apologize for addressing here. Especially in the current climate where school’s finances are openly being discussed because they MAY lead to program cut backs.

A name determined to be an issue such as this MAY also have financial implications, whether through donations, sponsoring, athletic equipment etc.

(Plus it would feel really weird seeing a “W&Gwar 2021” thread on this lacrosse forum)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

laxfan91 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:34 am This is a lacrosse forum. Can we please stick to only lacrosse.
Any new recruits coming into ODAC?
Any very early preseason rankings?
Hearing up here in WNY that our Canisius goalie that is in the portal is headed to a ODAC school in the fall. Not sure which one, but it definitely sounds like he may be Virginia/ODAC bound.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm
oldlaw wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:00 pm I should not have made my earlier post about the name issue. As a poster has since noted, this is a lax forum, and the name issue is not a topic that really belongs here.
I really don’t see it as an issue that you would need to apologize for addressing here. Especially in the current climate where school’s finances are openly being discussed because they MAY lead to program cut backs.

A name determined to be an issue such as this MAY also have financial implications, whether through donations, sponsoring, athletic equipment etc.

(Plus it would feel really weird seeing a “W&Gwar 2021” thread on this lacrosse forum)
Agreed. We are eight months out from a meaningful lacrosse game, if we're lucky. In the meantime the world is evolving in ways that have and will continue to impact college lacrosse at every level. I think it would be significant if two of the most prominent members of the ODAC are forced to change the names of their colleges during this offseason. If others here want to shout me down on that, so be it - but, I will note that the ODAC board hadn't been very active until this topic came along.

With that said, I don't know that changing the name of W&L really does the trick when the L is entombed under the chapel bearing his name right on campus, along with his wife, seven children and parents. It's a tricky situation, we'll see how it develops.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may be right. Let's see where the discussion goes and for how long it continues.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Oops;I was going to weigh in here.........
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

MrLax2U wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:02 pm Oops;I was going to weigh in here.........
And we would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Let's see how far we can go before our beloved Admin shuts us down. :lol:
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Booyah JB,
A petition to replace RE Lee with Oderus Urungus has >50k signatures. That number may exceed the total attendance at every W&L men’s lax game since inception in 1921 (?). Why not try to capture this enthusiasm?

Change the moniker from “Gennies” to “Gwars”. Gennies sounds to the uninitiated like a girls group. Gennifer and her pals. Gwar is a growl.

Play some games in Richmond and encourage the fans to come in costumes and the W&L players to be creative with face paint. Mike Leach did this at Texas Tech football with great success. The program has been on a downtrend and could use a kick in the ^$$. The Gwars… Put some fear into the Hornets and Maroons.

In 1987 they should’a stayed D I like Hopkins and Hobart. Big mistake. However, as a division of nearby D I Liberty U…. That’s another conversation.

Regarding the name; RE Lee was a loser. President Lincoln offered him command of the Union forces. If he was smart and really believed in the Virginia cause, he should have taken command of the Union Army; marched them south@30/40 miles/day to wear them out; fought several battles; then surrendered them to Stonewall Jackson or someone like that. Freed the Virginia slaves; send them north and put 500k captured Union soldiers to work in the cotton fields.

How about; Lewis B “Chesty” Puller born West Point, Va. Idolized Stonewall Jackson as a boy. Douglas MacArthur… Come on guys, Lee was a schlimazel. Joseph Smith (Presidential Candidate & Major General Illinois National Guard) was lynched for less and lies in a shallow grave on the banks of the Mississippi River in Nauvoo, Ill.

JB & DEEP, Back to you.
Last edited by MrLax2U on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ergit

Post by ergit »

ah gwar...
scumdogs of the universe.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was all set to post a link to Three Little Pigs until I realized that wasn’t Gwar but rather Green Jelly
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”