Centennial Conference 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
CTlaxer12

Re: Centennial Conference 2020

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Whiskeydog wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:09 pm F&M was overwhelmed in Lynchburg today. Was it just a bad opener or are they overrated in the Centennial?

The best thing that can be said about F&M today is they never got off the bus. They looked completely disinterested in the game, struggling to complete even basic passes. They are clearly a very talented team. The good news is there will be a lot of opportunities to pick up quality wins this season. Bad news is, this game counted as well, and will hurt them if this team has tourney aspirations. If they play like they did today, there won’t be much discussion about the Dips come May. Surprising given the way last season ended they weren’t more fired up.

Good to see Ursinus pick up a nice win today and bounce back after their exit last year.
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

CTlaxer12 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:05 pm
Whiskeydog wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:09 pm F&M was overwhelmed in Lynchburg today. Was it just a bad opener or are they overrated in the Centennial?

The best thing that can be said about F&M today is they never got off the bus. They looked completely disinterested in the game, struggling to complete even basic passes. They are clearly a very talented team. The good news is there will be a lot of opportunities to pick up quality wins this season. Bad news is, this game counted as well, and will hurt them if this team has tourney aspirations. If they play like they did today, there won’t be much discussion about the Dips come May. Surprising given the way last season ended they weren’t more fired up.

Good to see Ursinus pick up a nice win today and bounce back after their exit last year.
I was able to be at the Ursinus v Stevenson matchup. Game was pretty chippy and had a decent amount laundry tossed. It was also obvious that it was both teams first game of the year. Lots of sloppy clears and pass/catch related turnovers.

Ursinus has a scary attack duo with Atillasoy and McClure, both compliment each other very well. They got some scoring from their midfield as well, something that was a hole in their offense last year. Still some questions on defense, but the unit did its job when it needed too. Porzelt was great in his debut, 15 saves I think.

Was a little shocked by the F&M result? Anyone at the game?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Diplomats did not look good, they were not ready to play from the moment they stepped off the bus. Lynchburg did a nice job on Keating. Lynchburg’s first mid line looked great and Robinson just went off. I’m betting Dips get it together, far too much talent.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

You can watch the F&M LYN game on ESPN reruns. Search under Lynchburg hornets
LYN D is strong.
lowtoritter

Post by lowtoritter »

Great win by Ursinus this weekend, proving they have the coaching staff and personnel to fill the roles from last year’s team. Excited to see them take on a Mary Washington team that always plays them tough.

The Gettyburg-Messiah matchup lived up to its expectations. Messiah has played GBurg close in the first 2-3 quarters over the past four years. After a dominating fourth quarter performance, I fully expect the Bullets to take care of business on Wednesday and give Salisbury a tough, low-scoring matchup on Saturday.

On the other hand, F&M had a pitiful performance this weekend. Lynchburg going up 8-2 in the first was enough to beat a team that has consistently crumbled in big games over the past two years. However, I’m sure a win next Wednesday at Susquehanna will have everybody forget their inability to fight adversity and show up in big games.

Personally, I feel as if both McClure and Atillasoy have proven to be more promising than Keating. Although the numbers suggest otherwise, the elephant in the room is that Keating has yet to win a Centennial Conference playoff game. In addition, Keating has been surrounded by high profile players in Mollihan, Rogers (2018) and Briggs (2019) throughout his career. Whereas, despite losing DeSimone before last year’s playoff run and working with a first midfield line that combined for less than 30 goals on the season, McClure and Atillasoy took over and got the job done. Keating is a top player in the conference, but until proven otherwise, McClure and Atillasoy are “built different”, if you will.

Thoughts on early Offensive Player of the Year predictions?
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

East Coast Dyes video from Gettysburg practice on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8rn-FAhHV ... wihmsfd8t0
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

lowtoritter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 pm Great win by Ursinus this weekend, proving they have the coaching staff and personnel to fill the roles from last year’s team. Excited to see them take on a Mary Washington team that always plays them tough.

The Gettyburg-Messiah matchup lived up to its expectations. Messiah has played GBurg close in the first 2-3 quarters over the past four years. After a dominating fourth quarter performance, I fully expect the Bullets to take care of business on Wednesday and give Salisbury a tough, low-scoring matchup on Saturday.

On the other hand, F&M had a pitiful performance this weekend. Lynchburg going up 8-2 in the first was enough to beat a team that has consistently crumbled in big games over the past two years. However, I’m sure a win next Wednesday at Susquehanna will have everybody forget their inability to fight adversity and show up in big games.

Personally, I feel as if both McClure and Atillasoy have proven to be more promising than Keating. Although the numbers suggest otherwise, the elephant in the room is that Keating has yet to win a Centennial Conference playoff game. In addition, Keating has been surrounded by high profile players in Mollihan, Rogers (2018) and Briggs (2019) throughout his career. Whereas, despite losing DeSimone before last year’s playoff run and working with a first midfield line that combined for less than 30 goals on the season, McClure and Atillasoy took over and got the job done. Keating is a top player in the conference, but until proven otherwise, McClure and Atillasoy are “built different”, if you will.

Thoughts on early Offensive Player of the Year predictions?
Great summary. Unfortunately, while I’d like to disagree with you regarding F&M, at this point your observations are spot on. Until proven otherwise, this particular team and it’s leaders fold in big spots. Player for player I believe they are the most talented team in the conference, but unless everything goes exactly as planned, you can count on them and to be less than their best in the big ones.

As you said, they’ll likely handle Susquehanna, but let’s see them put it to W&L, Stevenson, and OWU in the coming weeks.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

To turn the program around the Dips need a new coach.
therocketpocket

Post by therocketpocket »

HappyGilmore wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am To turn the program around the Dips need a new coach.
Pretty outrageous take. I don't think a program who has been a mainstay in the top 20 and dominant in the Centennial Conference the past 4 years is in need of an overhaul or turning of the program around. Lots of lacrosse to be played in 2020
therocketpocket

Post by therocketpocket »

HappyGilmore wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am To turn the program around the Dips need a new coach.
Pretty outrageous take. I don't think a program who has been a mainstay in the top 20 and dominant in the Centennial Conference the past 4 years is in need of an overhaul or turning of the program around. Lots of lacrosse to be played in 2020
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

therocketpocket wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:42 pm
This poster has been beating that same drum the last two seasons without much reasoned support. Though it was denied directly by the poster, it clearly smacks of a personal issue with the F&M coach. I don't think most realize because the coach has had this program consistently in the top 20 and competing for one of the best conferences in DIII on a yearly basis, but the prior regime left this historically strong program for dead in the late 2000s. I have heard he also has strong support from the alumni, which is one of the reasons he's been bringing in top recruiting classes over the few seasons.

That being said, as other more articulate and well reasoned posters have pointed out, the team could stand to be better in big games. The team did go toe to toe with the defending champs the week prior to the Lynchburg disaster. The Dips can show a lot by coming away from the next few games prior to conference play 5-0.
overandback

Post by overandback »

lowtoritter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 pm
Yes, small sample but bullets offense was encouraging in its 2020 debut. Some new faces looked strong and worked well with first unit returners.
Bullets will need to find a weakness in Gulls D because gulls FO and scoring look pretty fierce.
Tall order.
Looking forward to this one!
NYLaxer

Post by NYLaxer »

CTlaxer12 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:05 pm

They, F&M had good reason to at least be worked up for a win. A Rogers brother still plays for LU, and his brother was quite good at F&M, and one of their coaches played for LU. I would think they would have been chewing gristle for the bus ride to VA. Just a thought.
~~Played in the days when the helmets weren't nearly as cool!
NYLaxer

Post by NYLaxer »

Yes, I remember this from last year. By now, your point is noted. While I don't know the coach personally, he obviously knows how to recruit, gather and develop excellent talent, and win games. He does like to keep a massive number of players, which is great for the school.

Sounds to me that HappyGilmore is a former player or assistant coach with a beef against the coach.
ChazzLax23

Post by ChazzLax23 »

NYLaxer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 am
Yes, I remember this from last year. By now, your point is noted. While I don't know the coach personally, he obviously knows how to recruit, gather and develop excellent talent, and win games. He does like to keep a massive number of players, which is great for the school.

Sounds to me that HappyGilmore is a former player or assistant coach with a beef against the coach.
Happy Gilmore is actually an ex hockey player turned pro golfer :lol: just some jokes to lighten the mood!
NYLaxer

Post by NYLaxer »

ChazzLax23 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:12 am

Happy Gilmore is actually an ex hockey player turned pro golfer :lol: just some jokes to lighten the mood!
You said it, Chubbs!
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Let's get back to the games...Gettysburg looked very stout on defense defeating Goucher 14-3. I'm not sure how good Goucher is so it may not be much of a gauge. The offense looked good at times but still a little to much ball carrying and not enough ball movement. If they hope to have any chance against the Gulls on Saturday the Bullets really need to clean up some sloppy play thru the midfield. Looking forward to it!
GO BULLETS
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

NYLaxer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:41 pm
ChazzLax23 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:12 am

You said it, Chubbs!
Maybe a little harsh with my comment and you are right they are always in the top 20. I have no personal relationship or connection with the coach. Just don’t understand why people think he is such a good coach. Yes he recruits well, but what has won with this talent? Additional a previous post mentioned that they didn’t come to play in the LU game. How can that be? Seems like they are ok with making the conference playoffs every year and never taking the next step.
D3Centlax

Post by D3Centlax »

CC board is quiet. Curious about others view of the overall conference performance after 2 weeks.
Here's my view:
Hard to make the case for Centennial being a NESCAC-like powerhouse conference right now, outside of bright spots Dickinson and Ursinus in the top 10 of upcoming D3 rankings.
Evidence:
F&M and Gettysburg with embarrassing, blow-out losses to Lynchburg and Salisbury, respectively, in past 2 weeks. F&M's porous D and goaltending give up 20+ goals, while on offense, supposed stars non-existent; G'burg down 8-1 at half vs Gulls, and 11-3 late in the game.
Similarly, jury is still out on Muhlenberg until they win some big CC games, Swat with 2 loses already. Haverford with concerning 16-4 loss to a subpar Eastern team. Same concern for Washington, with a 23-3 loss to a good W&L team who had been 0-2; McDaniel also in free fall for a few years.

Any room for more optimism ?
pucksandbones

Post by pucksandbones »

I'm not sure I would even be so optimistic about those two teams, I think top 10 is overrated for both...seems like Stevens outplayed Dickinson who got bailed out by their goalie. Also Ursinus wins haven't been too impressive. One goal win vs Stevenson and a 5 goal win vs Mary Washington doesn't exactly scream top 10 to me

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”