Centennial Conference 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dips_lax

Re: Centennial Conference 2020

Post by Dips_lax »

As a side note - F&M at Lynchburg will be televised on ESPN+. Nice to see D3 creep into the network coverage.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

F&M hosts Cabrini this Saturday in a scrimmage.
What time?
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

Believe it’s 1pm. Will let you know if it’s different
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

https://www.lynchburgsports.com/sports/ ... 0/schedule
Schedule on LYN site will link to video / ESPN 3
SElax00

Post by SElax00 »

Anybody hear how the scrimmages went yesterday?

Think there was a few F&M v Cabrini, Dickinson v Stevenson, Ursinus v Penn...Any others?
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

F&M and Cabrini ties at 13. Lost of rust on both sides. F&M has a halftime lead. Cabrini keepers played very well and they dominated faceoffs. F&M had balanced offense and some strong midfield play.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Not sure who the Bullets scrimmaged they have scrimmaged Stevens and either Howard or Essex CC in the past.
Are those ESPN 3 streams behind a pay per view platform?
Thanks,
GO BULLETS!
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Swat over Susquehanna 14-6 over 5 quarters.
SexyBaldMan

Post by SexyBaldMan »

Haverford beat FDU by a few and Messiah by a bunch. A bit sloppy in FDU game but much cleaner vs Messiah. Defense shut out Messiah in 2nd half. Strong goalie play.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Definitely some positive results around the conference. Particularly F&M matching up well against Cabrini, who should be a top 5 team this year. Hearing from some in the know that F&M’s midfield play should be very strong, so if you’re a Dips fan the scrimmage should be a positive sign.

Entering regular season play soon I still see F&M, Gburg, and Ursinus as the three contenders. Questions on all fronts for each team.

For F&M, they’ll score plenty but can they stop good teams from scoring? Achilles heel has been in the crease in recent years for the Dips, did they bolster that position on the recruiting trail this past year? Also, how will they handle adversity? Blew a couple of leads last year that should have been Ws, both Ursinus games come to mind and the Stevenson game in the tourney.

For Ursinus, can they replace a couple of losses from key contributors? Also, any hangover from the disappointing tourney exit? Like F&M, how will they handle adversity if/when it strikes? Will memories of the tourney defeat creep in if something goes awry?

For Gburg, will they have enough offense to keep up with F&M and Ursinus? Should have one of the top Ds in the conference, but if memory serves correct they didn’t have enough last year to hold down the Dips and Bears.

Overall, will any new (or those returning to former glory) players arise in the conference? Dickinson is always a threat. The Mules have improved. What about the disappearance of WAC? Can one or more of the big three make a deep run in May? Should be an interesting year.
CClaxx

Post by CClaxx »

Muhlenberg scrimmaged both Stevens and DeSales yesterday. The Stevens scrimmage was a fully timed game and the DeSales contest was tourney style (two 25 minute running time halves). If memory serves, Muhlenberg ended on top by 11-4 vs Stevens and 9-3 vs DeSales...or something very close to that. The DeSales scrimmage was primarily an opportunity to get a lot of freshman and reserves some looks. Not sure how DeSales ran it.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Was that Muhlenberg starters vs Stevens backups? Surprising score. If that was starters vs starters I think I want to take back my statement about the Stevens vs Swarthmore game being a 6-8 goal difference
CClaxx

Post by CClaxx »

As far as I could tell the Stevens game was played with starters, but you'd have to check with a Stevens follower to confirm as I am not familiar with their personnel. It was rumored that the two attackmen they were running their offense through were key players from last year, but don't quote me. Muhl used normal line up vs Stevens although their two biggest scoring threats sat out both contests. Muhl played a lot of newbies and reserves vs DeSales. Not sure how DeSales played it.

I was simply replying to a post requesting feedback on scrimmages that took place within the conference. Way too early to start making predictions.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Word from the battlefield is the Bullets are instaliing an entirely new offense, which I for one am glad of. I thought their offense the past few seasons has been to slow with not enough ball movement and depended way to much on one on one moves from their middies up top. Can't wait to see what they have been working on. Defense should be as good as if not better than last year....but we will see...that's why we play the games.

Good luck to all CC teams!
GO BULLETS!
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

F&M Lynchburg moved up the channel lineup to ESPN3 so if you don't subscribe to ESPN+ don't worry you can access the game live and in replay with your cable provider credentials. Entirely leap frogged the "Ocho" to make it to big time....

I know they've shown some d2 games on ESPN3 but can't remember a D3 game outside the championship.

1pm start time.
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

CTlaxer12 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:01 pm Definitely some positive results around the conference. Particularly F&M matching up well against Cabrini, who should be a top 5 team this year. Hearing from some in the know that F&M’s midfield play should be very strong, so if you’re a Dips fan the scrimmage should be a positive sign.

Entering regular season play soon I still see F&M, Gburg, and Ursinus as the three contenders. Questions on all fronts for each team.

For F&M, they’ll score plenty but can they stop good teams from scoring? Achilles heel has been in the crease in recent years for the Dips, did they bolster that position on the recruiting trail this past year? Also, how will they handle adversity? Blew a couple of leads last year that should have been Ws, both Ursinus games come to mind and the Stevenson game in the tourney.

For Ursinus, can they replace a couple of losses from key contributors? Also, any hangover from the disappointing tourney exit? Like F&M, how will they handle adversity if/when it strikes? Will memories of the tourney defeat creep in if something goes awry?

For Gburg, will they have enough offense to keep up with F&M and Ursinus? Should have one of the top Ds in the conference, but if memory serves correct they didn’t have enough last year to hold down the Dips and Bears.

Overall, will any new (or those returning to former glory) players arise in the conference? Dickinson is always a threat. The Mules have improved. What about the disappearance of WAC? Can one or more of the big three make a deep run in May? Should be an interesting year.
Good stuff here. I like the top 4 as F&M, Ursinus, Gburg and Dickinson in no particular quarter. I think F&M returns a strong lineup in all phases of the game, just need more consistent goalie play. Ursinus also has a question mark at the goalie position. I agree that Dickinson is always dangerous. Gburg is always good, interested to see what their midfields end up looking like.

Not in on the hype around the Mules. Always seem to not show up when it counts. What’s going on with WAC, they’ve been on a downward spiral for several years now. Then there’s Haverford, McDaniel and Swat. Swat is the most dangerous of the three, with Haverford not far behind them. McDaniel can’t really seem to put anything together.

What do others think about the contenders in the conference?
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:33 pm
Swarthmore opens against #17 (coaches) Stevens. Have to imagine the Garnet are comfortably the underdogs, but season openers are always weird. I'd expect an impartial spread would be around +5.5, but I'm hoping for a close-fought battle and potentially a big upset to get the year off on the right track.
Six, you absolutely crushed this! I'll admit, I thought there was a much bigger gap between the two programs but I was wrong.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

To be honest I think 8-10 goals is the real difference. Swat goalie had 22 saves and stevens goalie had 6 saves. A huge equalizing number difference there and still a 5 goal win for ducks. Online view was good. 2 Goals taken back from stevens. Not sure what the call was.
Whiskeydog

Post by Whiskeydog »

F&M was overwhelmed in Lynchburg today. Was it just a bad opener or are they overrated in the Centennial?
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

laxrules wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:27 pm To be honest I think 8-10 goals is the real difference. Swat goalie had 22 saves and stevens goalie had 6 saves. A huge equalizing number difference there and still a 5 goal win for ducks. Online view was good. 2 Goals taken back from stevens. Not sure what the call was.
Agreed. Though I appreciate the props, the game was far further apart than the scoreline suggested. Stevens clearly wanted to play like they were bigger and more athletic--some of the most aggressive on-ball, riding, and even man-down defense (!) I've see in a while--and it turns out they were. Dominated on face-offs and ground balls, and forced a ton of turnovers. Frankie Dillon, however, appeared to have shaken off his sophomore slump (62% save percentage as a freshman slipped to 48% last year), and was absolutely fantastic. If he keeps his form up, Swat will be well-positioned to be competitive if not the favorites through the rest of their non-conference schedule.

I'm sure Coach Gress will have the offense working against pressure all week, and the nerves will settle down to some extent. Still need to see significant improvement in the offensive flow and dodging necessary for a respectable offensive output.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”