York 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2020

Post by DeepPocket »

Agreed, there are some big shoes to fill on both sides of the table.

No doubt W&L’s two losses last year to York (one to start their season & one to end it) will be in some minds at game time.

Coach Childs enters his 9th year with the program and has been improving it since day one. He truly is one of those special coaches...
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Yes he is.
Looking forward to his visit home on 2/29!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

https://www.ycpspartans.com/sports/mlax/2019-20/roster

Roster is up. Total of 42 with 14 freshmen. 3 goalies.

I’m cautiously optimistic when it comes to the attack unit. 2 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 2 juniors listed on attack.

The only current upperclass attackman who was on the roster last year, O’Sullivan, will likely be out there, along with stud JUCO transfer Chandler Schmidt. The third spot, in my opinion, will probably be sophomore Eric Ranck who had a strong showing last year.

Glad to finally see the roster. Can’t wait to see the play...
Last edited by DeepPocket on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

After last season, Gennies need this one. Tough game for both clubs out of the gate. Hoping Gennies, fogo and depth at midfield can control the game. They are solid in the cage but it will have to be a wait and see situation on the defensive side. Attack should be adequate, hoping for some upside surprises there. Both teams lost a lot to graduation. Always a great game !
Skullzrule

Post by Skullzrule »

I think the Gennies could sneak up on the Spartans this year. Obviously, a lot of recent history between these two teams but one thing to be considered is the graduation of McGrath, Davis, and Pfieffer. All were significant contributors on the teams who took down the Generals in the past few years. I think their absence, along with the graduation of Sasso, puts a dent in the physical and mental toughness of the Spartans. Similar to how the aging of the Baby Boomers and Gen X, who worked and served in the military to build their futures, has given way to the millenials. This York team would rather have some avocado toast then grind it out for 60 minutes.
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

Looking forward to seeing this absolute battle, this rivalry is growing to be one of the best in D3. In response to the grittiness of York, only time will tell but I've heard the boys down in Lexington have been eating only nails and are chomping at the bit in preparation for this one. PS, avocados are a great healthy fat.
overandback

Post by overandback »

Noticed that #7 belongs to a freshman.
Did #7 from last two seasons move on?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

overandback wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:38 pm Noticed that #7 belongs to a freshman.
Did #7 from last two seasons move on?
It would appear so. Hvazda brought alot at midfield and I’m sure he will be missed. Hopefully addition(s) such as transfer Jordan Kopf will begin to fill the void he leaves.
Laxininmd

Post by Laxininmd »

I don't see Jordan Kopf on the roster anymore. Any ideas?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxininmd wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm I don't see Jordan Kopf on the roster anymore. Any ideas?
Interesting development. His name was there prior to the photos being added. I suppose that will significantly limit his ability to “fill the void” left by Hvazda. :D
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Word out of Western NY is the Spartans looked very strong in their scrimmage vs Cornell. Not that scores matter, but ended 6-5 York.

Lacrosse action is back, it’s a beautiful thing....
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

For what it’s worth, here’s the only video I’ve found of the York/Cornell scrimmage. Mesh barrier, shaky hand, and awful music loop make it a tough watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXR56xxPSg

Like what I saw from freshman at FO though (however brief). Looking forward to next weekend.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Deep, based on your post(s), I've officially become a York fan. Though, not exclusively...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Excited to see how YCP turns out this year. They graduated a lot of seniors (4 year starters as well) but Child’s has faced this challenge before. A great recruiter who is able to take young talent and get the most out of it. ‘16 Beck, Davis, McGrath started and finished their freshman season 18-4 and all became large pieces to the success for years to come. I expect nothing different for the 2020 campaign.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am Deep, based on your post(s), I've officially become a York fan. Though, not exclusively...
Welcome aboard. The more you listen to Coach Childs talk, and see how he is molding these young men on and off the field, he is impossible not to root for.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Impressed with York’s offense after game 1. Yes they looked rusty and out of sync at times vs W&L but this was the first game for these 3 new attackmen. They will continue to improve.

Midfield looked great. Both offensive and defensive. First line of Reynolds, Wolf, Ranck will be dangerous netting over 50% of today’s goals. No turnover on defensive midfield so I expect the SSDM to be huge key to keeping opponents in check.

Defense could be this years weakness. Veteran guys but little experience outside of R Kennedy. Looked unsettled at times and possibly lack of communication could have contributed to this. They’ll work out the kinks. Michael looked steady throughout.

Looking forward to the Spartans competing game in and game out in 2020!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Indeed. I saw a few wide open W&L attackmen who had crept in on the backside of the goal. Some of them were able to capitalize, during the 3rd quarter flurry that kept it close. D need to communicate, with heads on swivels, not ball watching.

I like what I saw at FO and wings, preventing faceoffs from being too much of an advantage for the noteworthy opposition.

All manner of Midfield were strengths, on both sides of the ball.

As chemistry develops at close D and attack, and the underclassman goalie continues to build his confidence clearing the ball against varying degrees of pressure, I see this team being more than formidable.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:50 pm ...
I would assume Hodgson will control the dot tomorrow. However, York returns strength at both SSDM and LSM, and I see that as having the potential to offset the effects FOs usually have on possession.
When you’re right, you’re right.

Undoubtedly the end product will be more “polished.” But it is nice to see the strengths able to compensate for the rough areas until there is a tad more chemistry. The talent is there, and the Coaching has what it takes to get these guys to where they need to be.
On to Eastern.
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

Congrats to York. I thought W&L was going to be able to sneak that one out when they went up 9-8 but unfortunately York was able to make one final push and flurry of goals to seal the win. Hope to see you guys again in May or it might have to wait till next year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”