Salisbury 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
RetiredCardinal

Re: Salisbury 2020

Post by RetiredCardinal »

Just saw on Gulls Twiiter acct that they will scrimmage Howard Comm College & Harford Comm College on Sunday, Jan 26 @10am & 2pm. First look at 2020.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

@Salisbury?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
RetiredCardinal

Yep in Salisbury
NiskaburyLax

Post by NiskaburyLax »

Well Sunday Funday and The Gulls scrimmage! First glimpse at 2020 version1.0 . Let’s go men. Looking forward to a good day.
#gogulls #championsweargold #itallstartsatthex
swf

Post by swf »

These two scrimmages Sunday should be really intense. I count 15 jersey #s open and yet to be filled. Some of the Gulls without a number are players who saw quality playing time on the 2019 roster. Others are transfers looking for a ring and the balance are freshmen hungry to wear the Maroon & Gold.

Wish everyone a safe, exciting day where you give 110% and show your best to the coaches.

Looking forward to detailed analysis from COGULL, ShoreThing and Cardinal.
RetiredCardinal

Had a chance to take in the games at Salisbury today with my friend. The first game was a matchup against a spirited Harford Community College squad. Harford was loud and pumped up to be playing Salisbury while the Gulls bench was unusually quiet. The Howard game wasn't even a contest as the Gulls scored frequently. I think they were up 22-3 when I left in the 3rd quarter.

Looks like 2019 Captains are Borkowicz, Murphy, Melton and Greik based on warmup stretch.

Opening lineup vs Harford included:
Attack - Melton, Ferrara, Armstrong (Moroney replaced Armstrong here in Game 2)
Mids - Bromwell, Wongus,Thrasher
D - Kness, Borkowicz and Apgar
G - Dabbs (Ellis replaced Dabbs here in Game 2 after not playing in Game 1)

In the early game Gulls offense looked far from a team with AA talent and made the Harford GKs look great. Failed to convert on multiple EMO chances. Moroney is back and looked very good for coming off ACL injury. Wearing a brace but playing aggressively. Moroney was the highlight on offense on the day.

Bromwell looked good which is a nice sign considering a Soph slump in ‘19 - worked some nice dodges and showing shooting power from both sides. Thrasher looked good and should round out the first unit nicely. Wongus also looked solid. Second mids looked like Dembeck, Nestor and Parker and seemed efficient with the ball. IN the Howard game, J'ville transfer Ponser looked good once he got settled - had a nice dodge up top and burn the GK with a nice running lefty rip.

2nd half vs Harford had Brown, Sanchez and #17 on attack. Sanchez looked very rusty with bad passes and shots that he probably should have left to someone else. Like the hustle out of #28.

Riley Ford apparently gone as #13 was running attack. Didn't hear any rumors about what might have happened with Ford. Woodward and Mason running SSDM after Greik/Saulino. Woodward seemed a little uncomfortable with a shorty but settled in and also brought out the pole as well at times. Mason seems like a good strong athletic player and was able to hang with his man well. Greik steady throughout. In GM2 he took a hit from a large Howard middie and it was like to trains colliding and neither dropped. That Greik kid is one tough SOB.

Malamphy/Thompson took first half F/O reps in both game s while Logue/Sweeney handled the 2nd half. Logue back in action and a year off shows. Not great to GBs and didn’t handle stuck well with possession. Malamphy \/Sweeney steady.

On D, Kness shows no ill effect of his shattered ankle in 2019. Bork solid and much more vocal. Apgar looked a little lazy getting beat behind the goal early in GM1 and then late to a slide that resulted in two Harford goals. New kid Timmons (#51) looked good for a Freshman. Strong lax IQ and plays a little like Kness. Gulls seem deep on D again. Shocker, right?

In the goal it seemed like craziness. Dabbs w the start in GM1. Gave up one and stopped one. Only lasted like 6 mins until Warren came in and finished Q1 and Q2. Warren gave up two Gs on the Apgar misses but probably should have had the second one. Warren didn't play in GM2. Freshman Myer played Q3 of GM1 w one save and Marquette xfer Skarnulis played an uneventful Q4 to close out GM1. As mentioned, Ellis didn't see time in GM1 and started GM2. Not many looks as the Howard team is just awful. Ellis played full half in GM2. Skarnulis, a considerably smaller player than the rest of the five keeper group played much of the third quarter until briefly replaced by Dabbs. Dabbs had yet another short run as he gave up a goal by a middie who sprinted past a Gulls defender. I think Dabbs was in there maybe two minutes and got the hook and finished his day. Not sure why the quick trigger from the sidelines. Freshman Myer was headed to the 4th quarter goal as I was heading to the door.

Quick takes - Gulls beat Harford like 9-4 and smashed Howard; offense needs work; EMO needs a lot of help; defense typical Gulls strength; Moroney looks in top shape and should press Armstrong for third spot on attack; Bromwell and Wongus back and playing like they should. GKs need to make the easy saves.

On to Berry. Should be a fun season.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

This is great insight, Thanks Cardinal. I was unable to make it down, but did notice that final roster appears to be set.

https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/2019-20/roster

Harford CC did a decent job with providing updates and brief highlights, which told me the game was close. In fact, one of the highlights was when Apgar got beat from X and failed to turn the attackman back, giving up the topside for a goal. Not exactly the start I would have hoped to see, but these scrimmages not only provide opportunities for improvement but allow you to knock off whatever rust you may have. Also, I heard that the attackman he was guarding (Owen Consoletti) is pretty talented.

The goalie situation sounds like a nightmare... I have been pretty critical of the goalie play in the past year and a half or so and am just going to have to accept that it could be a jekyll and hyde scenario all year. Coach is opting to keep 5 keepers on the roster, probably because 3 are seniors and the younger guys need reps. Warren appears the be the most talented from the group of returning keepers, but can he keep his head on straight and get this confidence back? He seems like a great kid and that his guys love him, but I've had a few moments where I cringed and left in shock due to underwhelming performances. I mean I reflect on last year at the failed clear attempts that led to goals against York and some of those 15+ yard shots and found a way in the back of the cage in multiple games. I'm pulling for him but it sounds like that this job is still up for grabs.

Happy hear Bromwell and Wongus looked solid. These two will be relied on to get it going from the midfield. Nice to hear about Thrasher, I enjoyed watching him last year and liked that he got the reps that he did as a freshman. I'm surprised to hear how Harbottle did... He was one of the younger guys last year who showed flashes of talent and had a pretty good first step. I would be interested to see where he lands in the mix of midfielders. As mentioned previously, Dembeck is a nice luxury to have at midfield and it sounds like Coach likes what he saw from his 2 freshmen (Nestor & Parker). It sounds like they are in line for some meaningful time, especially after being 2 of the freshman to earn their jerseys early.

I won't speculate on Ford's absence, but hopefully, he finds a way back on the roster next year. He was fun to watch, once he settled down and committed fewer penalties. Greik is as advertised, great and Saulino is promising and extremely talented. I was just hoping to see him with the ball more this year. Woodward to SSDM is interesting, but when you have that many LSMs and Murphy back to his natural spot... I get it. Similar situation with Mason.

Attack has the power, but most likely just needs more reps. Extremely happy to hear Moroney is back and playing well. That kid has had some big games in previous years when the offense seemed to be stalling out. I have faith that the offense will get there but admittedly would have liked to have heard more positive remarks against Hartford. It also sounds like he had our first Clayton Burt sighting #17. Hopefully, this opportunity proves to be one that is both beneficial for Clayton and the Gulls.

Thanks for Cardinal providing the feedback and insight from this weekend's games. I'm excited for Sunday, but do not see that the game has a stream (since it is at Cardinal Gibbons in NC).
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Thank Shore and Cardinal for their analysis and insights. Of all the posters on LP they are among the very best.

The goalie situation is perplexing. Warren is a model student/athlete from a good family and respected by his teammates. He’s had NC game experience and Berkman/Miller are two of the best coaches in the game. His overall stats aren’t bad but he has lapses. With the 2018-20 Gull defensive personnel no D 3 opponent should score double digits. Warren’s problem appears to be self-assurance. You could see it when clearing problems first appeared. A confident goalie would have self-cleared with minimal hesitation. A really confident goalie would have relished the opportunity to score a goal or at least get an assist and then yelled at the box manager. “Hey Cirillo, Get your head outta …..” Warren deflated.

End of 2019 Miller appeared to hesitate pulling Warren for fear of further shattering his confidence. The Miller – Berkman nonverbal vibe was palpable to the fans and I’m sure Warren picked up on it.

For 2020 Berkman has to ease Warren into a competition without killing his assurance. Myer is from Cardinal Gibbons HS and for the Berry game it may make sense to start Myer so the locals get a chance to cheer their boy. Myer pulls it off; good result. Warren subs and saves the bacon; good result. Myer and Warren both bomb and one of the other three goalies gets the win; good result. All five goalies tank; don’t book ahead for Memorial Day weekend. Or maybe see who the Club Team is using.

As we saw in the last Cabrini game and again Sunday Apgar is a linebacker not a cornerback. Kness is the takeout guy, if his knee holds.

Glad to read Bromwell did well. If I remember correctly his brother really came into his own as a senior. If Jarrett can do it as a junior, he and Wongus will blast the D 3 landscape like a Reaper drone.

The SSDMs could start O middie at any other D 3 program and many D 1 programs as well. I hope Berkman lets the boys run and gun.

Gull attack and O middies rotate which will generate zone defenses which have been used successfully against the prior Gull teams. Be ready and have one to throw back, if there is a goalie breakdown.

Raleigh is a tech hub of sorts. Hopefully one of the traveling or local Gull fans can figure a way to keep the rest of us current with play action of maybe even a video feed.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

So familiar with the Gulls, obviously and Harford. To give some context to the comments above, it's no coincidence the Gulls hosted Harford. Or that Harford kept it respectable. There may be some talent on Harford that makes its way to the Eastern shore next year. One of the Harford assistants is former Gull Chris Sopher. Harford took down Onondaga, Essex and Nassau the last couple years and just sent kids in last year's class to Rutgers, RoMo, Tampa and some other good programs. They will in the hunt for the JUCO Natty again this year. If I were Salisbury, I'd be looking at that HCC attackman Owen Consoletti and the HCC goalie Barrett Castro. So that said, no tears for Apgar!
:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:47 pm..... If I were Salisbury, I'd be looking at that HCC attackman Owen Consoletti and the HCC goalie Barrett Castro....
Smell, let those guys grab their D1 transfers, and leave some talent for the rest of us ;)

Hope you’ll be reappearing in the CAC thread as things kick off. It very well may be one of the last of its kind....
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Harford has good relations with York already- so it might be a good idea for SU to get in the mix if they want to stay relevant...

:lol:

(Kidding!)

York landed Chandler Schmidt from Harford. I don't know how his transition is going, but he was a heckuva good player in hs and at HCC so its not hard to imagine him contributing at York. Great kid off the field too!
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Q 2 v Berry College in Raleigh, NC. Gulls 11 - Berry 0
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Yea. I could see them out for blood after last year’s close call.

This might be one of those ones where we discuss mercy rule opinions afterwards.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
RetiredCardinal

Gulls up 17-1 at half
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Gulls up 23-2 at the end of 3rd Qt.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Not sure if I recall Coach ever putting up 30, I know we had our chances and he called off the dogs. Hopefully, the guys that are in now are trying to solidify their spots on 2nd midfield and those 4th and 5th attack/d guys. I imagine a few goalie changes have already been made. Here is to hearing that everyone made it out of the game healthy as well.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

COGULL wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:45 pm Gulls up 23-2 at the end of 3rd Qt.
Haha ... I guess you can say that Berry "poked the bear" last year. And I'm not talking about the Gull players... I'm talking about their coach! So much for Salisbury being vulnerable early ... they could be scary good this year!
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 pm Haha ... I guess you can say that Berry "poked the bear" last year. And I'm not talking about the Gull players... I'm talking about their coach! So much for Salisbury being vulnerable early ... they could be scary good this year!
Greetings Ned - Yeah it appears Coach B had the guys ready to play - The Gulls can enjoy the trip back to SU , but will quickly need get ready for what will likely be a much tougher matchup next week. What a great time of year !

GO GULLS!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Final Score: 27-3

Curious to see the stat line in this one.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

COGULL wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:57 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 pm Haha ... I guess you can say that Berry "poked the bear" last year. And I'm not talking about the Gull players... I'm talking about their coach! So much for Salisbury being vulnerable early ... they could be scary good this year!
Greetings Ned - Yeah it appears Coach B had the guys ready to play - The Gulls can enjoy the trip back to SU , but will quickly need get ready for what will likely be a much tougher matchup next week. What a great time of year !

GO GULLS!
Hi Co .... Mrlax!

Best time of year! Us old guys get a little spring in our step!

I'm sure coach B will have them ready! He's the best there is. Best of luck to you guys this year.

And here's hoping my team earns their way to another post season matchup with you guys. Always a great experience but perhaps you guys wouldn't mind making the 9 hour trip this year? Haha

All the best!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”