Salisbury 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: Salisbury 2020

Post by DeepPocket »

That would be pretty crumby for those guys who are coming into their Senoir year. They’re no doubt quality players (they've made the Salisbury roster after all). They paid their dues, waited and earned their roster spot. Not gonna get their opportunity. Damn shame.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

COGULL wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 pm Evening Pretorious-

Yeah, tough pill to swallow especially considering how well they were playing. I'm hearing there could be a good number of seniors who could and would like to be back for 2021 (really hard to tell at this point who's serious vs. a player's emotions doing the talking). I know at least some of the starting seniors have a semester remaining. I'm wondering who that will work if a player completes their degree in 4 1/2 years - Would they be able to play without taking a class in Spring ? Do they skip Fall Ball and complete classes in the Spring ? If the Gulls could bring back the core of Seniors, you gotta like their chances.
The gulls will finds a way to admin around it. They always do.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am
COGULL wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 pm Evening Pretorious-

Yeah, tough pill to swallow especially considering how well they were playing. I'm hearing there could be a good number of seniors who could and would like to be back for 2021 (really hard to tell at this point who's serious vs. a player's emotions doing the talking). I know at least some of the starting seniors have a semester remaining. I'm wondering who that will work if a player completes their degree in 4 1/2 years - Would they be able to play without taking a class in Spring ? Do they skip Fall Ball and complete classes in the Spring ? If the Gulls could bring back the core of Seniors, you gotta like their chances.
The gulls will finds a way to admin around it. They always do.
Salisbury was loaded this year and perhaps had the makings of a vintage season. That said wouldn’t it be more important to move on with your life, try to get a job and join the real world. Think of the opportunity that would be taken from the underclass men who already missed a season and now may have a second season taken because a senior gets a 5th year. How unfair is that. Turn the page, there’s more to life and we are witnessing it each and every day in the news
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:39 pm Salisbury was loaded this year and perhaps had the makings of a vintage season. That said wouldn’t it be more important to move on with your life, try to get a job and join the real world. Think of the opportunity that would be taken from the underclass men who already missed a season and now may have a second season taken because a senior gets a 5th year. How unfair is that. Turn the page, there’s more to life and we are witnessing it each and every day in the news
I can appreciate the the conversation around how it would affect the non-seniors. I don't agree but I have some empathy. I also believe that If you're able to win the spot, do it ! Work hard and take it from that senior. As far as the the whole, "wouldn’t it be more important to move on with your life" notion. That's almost laughable to me. A lot of these kids will be working for 40 + years- Taking the opportunity to come back to play your last season isn't some indication of of a kid trying to hold on to their "glory years". The seniors earned it as well- It's just your opinion that seniors should be the ones to sacrifice.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

COGULL wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:39 pm Salisbury was loaded this year and perhaps had the makings of a vintage season. That said wouldn’t it be more important to move on with your life, try to get a job and join the real world. Think of the opportunity that would be taken from the underclass men who already missed a season and now may have a second season taken because a senior gets a 5th year. How unfair is that. Turn the page, there’s more to life and we are witnessing it each and every day in the news
I can appreciate the the conversation around how it would affect the non-seniors. I don't agree but I have some empathy. I also believe that If you're able to win the spot, do it ! Work hard and take it from that senior. As far as the the whole, "wouldn’t it be more important to move on with your life" notion. That's almost laughable to me. A lot of these kids will be working for 40 + years- Taking the opportunity to come back to play your last season isn't some indication of of a kid trying to hold on to their "glory years". The seniors earned it as well- It's just your opinion that seniors should be the ones to sacrifice.
Agree with COGULL on this one.

Indeed, these young folks have 40+ years of working to look forward to … An opportunity to squeeze in one extra year of college before embarking on the working thing, if possible, is a great option for any student, even non-athletes. I know I sure wish I could’ve had an extra year in school before working for the last 40 myself.

Also agree on the playing time thing. Why should only one class of players be asked to make the sacrifice? I don’t believe Salisbury /Coach Berkman awards playing time based simply on class year or seniority. Quite the contrary, I think Salisbury probably has one of the fiercest meritocracies in D3 lacrosse. Every player recruited there is highly regarded coming out of high school, yet none are guaranteed playing time. Every player, regardless of class year, fights for playing time based upon ability, work ethic etc. For this abbreviated season just ended, there were a number of juniors getting significant playing time for the Gulls. For the juniors who didn’t, it wasn’t because of their class year but because a teammate (whether a senior, similarly a junior, or even a sophomore or freshman) had earned the playing time instead.

Realistically, odds are no more than two or three seniors will have the wherewithal to return for an extra year of school, so at most we are probably talking about one or two positions being affected. Even if the current seniors were not allowed to return, there is no guarantee that the rising seniors would be awarded playing time ahead of their other teammates, at least not at Salisbury.

Coupled with the other issues that affect playing time every new season (injuries, academic ineligibility, failed drug tests, transfers of new players into the program, etc.) I really don’t think it will have much overall impact next season. I think every player on the Salisbury roster, freshman through senior, enters each season on a level playing field and are afforded the opportunity to earn playing time. It is a true meritocracy, and a good life lesson before commencing those 40+ years in the workforce where little if anything will be handed to these fellas simply based upon seniority as opposed to effort and industry ...
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The mindset of a early twenties male is, by and large, different than the mindset of a (insert any male older than that). That is the key here and in two ways.

First, adversity. How I view adversity now, with life’s experiences, versus how I might have viewed adversity as a male in my early twenties is VASTLY different. So the point on “battling through, and earning your time” is easier said when your not one of these kids who probably believes they HAVE DONE JUST THAT! (And has likely been a top player at most levels leading up to this point, in order to make a Salisbury roster). Even in a perfect world where players of all body type, size, maturity and regardless of last years stats get equal opportunity for equal effort (insert eye roll), the psyche of a talented FOGO hearing, say, a positional battleship like Malamphy is coming back for year number X, WILL be affected.

Secondly, focus/motives. The mindset I would approach an extra year of college (athletically or otherwise) now versus how I might have in my early twenties is VASTLY different. Not to generalize or go down a rabbit hole, but what are college males’ top priorities (during the other 70% of the year, that takes place off the lacrosse field and not in the classroom)? Entering the workforce and potentially being able to retire a year earlier in many professions... oh and not spending / owing another 20-40grand, yea, I would think that’s the winner for most adults. The young men that I knew taking an extra year of college were not people my parent would’ve wanted me hanging out with on Saturday nights. It likely would have made their concerns worse if it was known these young men were not there for academics, rather just sticking around for athletics...

(FWIW, count me among those former student athletes that would gladly pay triple the tuition for one more year of care free youthful exuberance in college with friends of old)
I agree, most wont take the extra year offer...
And I feel it is for the better all around.
Last edited by DeepPocket on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 am The mindset of a early twenties male is, by and large, different than the mindset of a (insert any male older than that). That is the key here and in two ways.

First, adversity. How I view adversity now, with life’s experiences, versus how I might have viewed adversity as a male in my early twenties is VASTLY different. So the point on “battling through, and earning your time” is easier said when your not one of these kids who probably believes they HAVE DONE JUST THAT! (And has likely been a top player at most levels leading up to this point, in order to make a Salisbury roster). Even in a perfect world where players of all body type, size and maturity get equal opportunity for equal effort (insert eye roll), the psyche of a talented FOGO hearing, say, a positional battleship like Malamphy is coming back for year number X, WILL be affected.

Secondly, focus/motives. The mindset I would approach an extra year of college (athletically or otherwise) now versus how I might have in my early twenties is VASTLY different. Not to generalize or go down a rabbit hole, but what are college males’ top priorities (during the other 70% of the year, that takes place off the lacrosse field and not in the classroom)? Entering the workforce and potentially being able to retire a year earlier in many professions... oh and not spending / owing another 20-40grand, yea, I would think that’s the winner for most adults. The young men that I knew taking an extra year of college were not people my parent would’ve wanted me hanging out with on Saturday nights. It likely would have made their concerns worse if it was known these young men were not there for academics, rather just sticking around for athletics...

I agree, most wont take the extra year offer...
And I feel it is for the better all around.
Good post, DP.

I don’t think you and I really disagree; as I suggested in my previous post I suspect the majority of players will not come back for the extra year, for various combinations of all the reasons you mentioned.

That said, for the one or two fellows who might want to come back, again for various reasons of their own (maybe they already missed a year due to injury, or ineligibility, or perhaps needed to be come back to complete enough credits to graduate anyway, etc.), I say “why not?”

It is probably only going to be one or two spots/players affected. Having a senior or two return would be no different then the usual transfers that come in every year. As a practical matter, Coach Berkman will probably just reduce the number of incoming transfers he would look for anyway to offset the return of any 5th years … Point being I don’t think the returning team members will be impacted much more than they would in any normal year if you take transfers into account.

But overall do not disagree with you. We are certainly in uncharted waters and the next 10 months or so will be very interesting for all of us D3 lax fans.

Be well!
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

The extra year of eligibility could find many talented players looking for a home and SSU could be a potential landing spot for some, especially MD residents for whom tuition is a bargain. In terms of DIII schools it has a large enrollment and offers graduate studies in
several fields.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

laxpert wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:26 pm The extra year of eligibility could find many talented players looking for a home and SSU could be a potential landing spot for some, especially MD residents for whom tuition is a bargain. In terms of DIII schools it has a large enrollment and offers graduate studies in
several fields.
The only deal with this is it would have to be D3 players for grad school and Sals already has the best D3 players. D1 and D2 players can’t play grad year at D3 schools. Sucks that rules exists, but it does.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Best players in DIII?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cans/56248

I only count eight ...slackers :D
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

laxpert wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:27 pm Best players in DIII?

Should have been at least 9 - can’t believe they left out Moroney - big oversight, me thinks ... kid was a force for the 1/4 season played - and after coming off a year spent rehabbing an ACL tear. Took control of several games for the Gulls this year - see Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevens. Kid doesn’t rack up big totals in the blow outs but comes up huge in the tight games. Real clutch, gut-check type player.
Last edited by Dr. Pretorious on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 pm
laxpert wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:27 pm Best players in DIII?

Should have been at least 9 - can’t believe they left out Moroney - big oversight, me thinks ... kid was a force for the 1/4 season played - and after coming off a year spent rehabbing an ACL year. Took control of several games for the Gulls this year - see Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevens. Kid doesn’t rack up big totals in the blow outs but comes up huge in the tight games. Real clutch, gut-check type player.
No Moroney? Not even an Honorable Mention? Someone screwed the pooch on this one! How about Ellis? Another one left out? Everyone talking about Tufts offense, but their defense was giving up a ton of goals. Salisbury defense gave up half as many goals in almost twice the amount of games. If season went entire year I would be surprised not to see 10-12 all Americans. Let's see what happens down the road
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

[/quote]
Should have been at least 9 - can’t believe they left out Moroney - big oversight, me thinks ... kid was a force for the 1/4 season played - and after coming off a year spent rehabbing an ACL tear. Took control of several games for the Gulls this year - see Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevens. Kid doesn’t rack up big totals in the blow outs but comes up huge in the tight games. Real clutch, gut-check type player
[/quote]

Agreed- To not even give him an HM was a miss by the voters. Moroney was solid and playing better than before his injury on arguably the best attack unit in D3 . 2nd leading in goals, shooting close to 40% w/ only 2 TO's over seven games. He should have been in at some level.

GOGULLS !
richard

Post by richard »

You guys are worse the Red Sox fans. Complaining about only eight guys on the list. I guess you need to have ten on the list like Tufts not to complain. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

richard wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:32 pm You guys are worse the Red Sox fans. Complaining about only eight guys on the list. I guess you need to have ten on the list like Tufts not to complain. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geez, talk about someone completely missing the point. A post simply intended to say something nice for a kid who seems well liked and had a great start to the season after having persevered through an injury - somehow interpreted as “complaining” and meriting a snarky retort and need to bring Tufts into the conversation?

Wow ... says a lot more about the poster than the 22 year old kid ... shameful. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RT @SalisburyMLAX: This comes with a heavy heart to say that ‘15 graduate Connor Anderson, passed away yesterday morning. Connor was an exemplary Gull on and off the field. Our deepest condolences go out to his family as he was truly taken too soon. RIP Candy. You will be deeply missed. https://t.co/InZoZtHq8G
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

Here is a a very recent interview with Coach Berkman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PizrxMQ ... sF9dyarDWU

Looks like, as of right now, most of the Seniors are planning to return, including those who have been named All-American's this year in the shortened season.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Word out of Sea Gull land is that the following original members of the class of 2020 have decided to return for a fifth year:

Griffin Moroney A
Josh Melton A

Pierre Armstrong M
Emory Wongus M

Brett Malamphy FOGO

Brad Greik SSDM

Kevin Murphy LSM
Matt O’Callaghan LSM

Drew Borkowicz D

TJ Ellis G

If this all turns out to be true, and given where the team was when the season was abruptly shut down (undefeated and #1 in all polls), together with the returning standout players from the class of 2021 (Apgar- D, Kness- D, Bromwell- M, Ferreira- A, Woodward- SSDM) one would have to think that Salisbury is going to be a formidable squad next season. The core of the team for the last three seasons has been the class of 2020, as most of those listed above have been starters since their sophomore season. Next year will be their fifth season together, fourth as the core starting unit. No disrespect to Tufts, RIT, Williams etc - but the Gulls would appear to be absolutely loaded at both ends (and the middle) of the field.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 am Word out of Sea Gull land is that the following original members of the class of 2020 have decided to return for a fifth year:

Griffin Moroney A
Josh Melton A

Pierre Armstrong M
Emory Wongus M

Brett Malamphy FOGO

Brad Greik SSDM

Kevin Murphy LSM
Matt O’Callaghan LSM

Drew Borkowicz D

TJ Ellis G

If this all turns out to be true, and given where the team was when the season was abruptly shut down (undefeated and #1 in all polls), together with the returning standout players from the class of 2021 (Apgar- D, Kness- D, Bromwell- M, Ferreira- A, Woodward- SSDM) one would have to think that Salisbury is going to be a formidable squad next season. The core of the team for the last three seasons has been the class of 2020, as most of those listed above have been starters since their sophomore season. Next year will be their fifth season together, fourth as the core starting unit. No disrespect to Tufts, RIT, Williams etc - but the Gulls would appear to be absolutely loaded at both ends (and the middle) of the field.
That is great news for Salisbury. This was a fantastic class, and it looked to be one of those “what might have been” scenarios. Good on them. They will enjoy a great amount of success no doubt, should this play out.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Be ready! Gonna be a lot of redhsirts in the incoming class.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”