UTampa

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Tumbleweedlax

UTampa

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

UT will be at the head of the class for the foreseeable future.
I would be confident in saying they wont lose a game this year and probably only a few over the next 3 years.
UT Natl champs 2021, 2022 and 2023.
Matnum PI

Re: UTampa

Post by Matnum PI »

Numerous teams were undefeated in the abbreviated 2020 season. And Tampa's Ws were far from impressive (though Queens was a good W). http://app.fanlax.com/category/ranking/45/2020
In 2019, Tampa was far from perfect. http://app.fanlax.com/category/ranking/10/2019
I'm not so sure I see it, Tumbleweed...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

It always amazes me to see the size of Tampas roster. 64 players in 2020- how many will they have this year- 80? How do they get kids to go there- hey come be one of our 8 goalies? 7 lefty attack men- you'll get your time.....
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Tumbleweedlax wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm UT will be at the head of the class for the foreseeable future.
I would be confident in saying they wont lose a game this year and probably only a few over the next 3 years.
Have heard the same thing since 2012! I guess eventually they will win something other than the SSC championship. :lol:
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Tumbleweedlax wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm UT will be at the head of the class for the foreseeable future.
I assume the OP was engaging in hyperbole to some/a large extent. Tampa, however, is a strong program and has been for the last several years. The year they lost to St Leo in the SSC playoffs (and St Leo got spanked by Merrimack in NCAA finals) might have been the year. But that is a good team year over. Not really a fan per se as my oldest played for a SSC competitor, but my kids played a few tournaments on its field (I liked the vibe of the field with the funky "quasi downtown" outside the fence plus cars whizzing by (probably rioting and looting there now for all I know)). I can see Tampa supplanting Limestone as the best team in the south. A little curious how the departure of the goalie coach/D coordinator (Burdick I think) to NAIA Berry will affect Tampa however.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:09 pm
I assume the OP was engaging in hyperbole to some/a large extent. Tampa, however, is a strong program and has been for the last several years. The year they lost to St Leo in the SSC playoffs (and St Leo got spanked by Merrimack in NCAA finals) might have been the year. But that is a good team year over. Not really a fan per se as my oldest played for a SSC competitor, but my kids played a few tournaments on its field (I liked the vibe of the field with the funky "quasi downtown" outside the fence plus cars whizzing by (probably rioting and looting there now for all I know)). I can see Tampa supplanting Limestone as the best team in the south. A little curious how the departure of the goalie coach/D coordinator (Burdick I think) to NAIA Berry will affect Tampa however.
Burdick left to go start the program at Weber International, an NAIA team in florida.

Looked up their roster and 40 freshman for this first season (50 total)

https://webberathletics.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster
washeduplaxer21

Post by washeduplaxer21 »

backerzone wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:25 pm It always amazes me to see the size of Tampas roster. 64 players in 2020- how many will they have this year- 80? How do they get kids to go there- hey come be one of our 8 goalies? 7 lefty attack men- you'll get your time.....
they have more like 120-150 kids, they have one and sometimes two JV teams, I think its unethical and they never have the players in mind. Ive heard some stories out of there like having a medical 5th year show up to his first day asking why he has a bill for school and then them saying oh we thought the money would be better elsewhere. Sad to see.
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm Numerous teams were undefeated in the abbreviated 2020 season. And Tampa's Ws were far from impressive (though Queens was a good W). http://app.fanlax.com/category/ranking/45/2020
In 2019, Tampa was far from perfect. http://app.fanlax.com/category/ranking/10/2019
Absolute domination. Talent is ubsurd. Offense will put up silly record numbers, defense will hold teams to a ridiculous loe average.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Tumbleweedlax wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:00 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm Numerous teams were undefeated in the abbreviated 2020 season. And Tampa's Ws were far from impressive (though Queens was a good W). http://app.fanlax.com/category/ranking/45/2020
Absolute domination. Talent is ubsurd. Offense will put up silly record numbers, defense will hold teams to a ridiculous loe average.
It’s like a broken record! :lol:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Pitt12 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:57 pm
Tumbleweedlax wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:00 pm
It’s like a broken record! :lol:
Tampa has beaten Limestone exactly once. In a down year for the Saints.

Granted, two years ago they had the talent, and maybe should have won, but got unlucky on a crease call that could have gone either way and lost an OT battle.

Lots of Tampa teams have been filled with talent, often coming from D1 schools, but I have seen a lot of talent that seems to just go to waste...
McLax

Post by McLax »

Nice...good to see a Tampa thread come up to cut YHC and the new coaches a little slack. :D

Total domination... “upsurd”.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

"Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer!" (said Steve Martin, to a heckler)

I just don't understand how a program can recruit kids by saying, "Join our team, pay your dues, and earn your spot," and at the same time accept every transfer who decides he at least wants some sunshine as he gives up on his D1 dreams. Having a team with 20 transfers means you also have a team with 20 players who have quit, failed, given up on, or become unhappy with their first (or second) choice. Or maybe "that coach sucked" or "that coach had favorites" or they just "weren't given a fair shot". It also means you have 20 kids who lost spots and resent the transfers who came in and leapfrogged them as they paid their dues. I just don't see it as a good dynamic. I always wonder how many of those transfers leave just as quickly as they arrived.

And here is my favorite lax pic from the last few years: from a Tampa loss to Lindenwood. Yes that's a D1 commit, prep school transfer to Tampa, who then played two years, before his number went to a Detroit transfer the following year!

It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:36 pm "Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer!" (said Steve Martin, to a heckler)

I just don't understand how a program can recruit kids by saying, "Join our team, pay your dues, and earn your spot," and at the same time accept every transfer who decides he at least wants some sunshine as he gives up on his D1 dreams. Having a team with 20 transfers means you also have a team with 20 players who have quit, failed, given up on, or become unhappy with their first (or second) choice. Or maybe "that coach sucked" or "that coach had favorites" or they just "weren't given a fair shot". It also means you have 20 kids who lost spots and resent the transfers who came in and leapfrogged them as they paid their dues. I just don't see it as a good dynamic. I always wonder how many of those transfers leave just as quickly as they arrived.

And here is my favorite lax pic from the last few years: from a Tampa loss to Lindenwood. Yes that's a D1 commit, prep school transfer to Tampa, who then played two years, before his number went to a Detroit transfer the following year!

I think coach tells them that Tampa is a great place to play college lacrosse if you like to have Memorial Day weekend off!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Call me when they win something meaningful.
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

Absolutely.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Tumbleweedlax wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 pm Absolutely.
5x! That’s right 5x SSC champs. Impressive.
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

If there is a year to finally break through for Tampa, it is probably this year. It definitely won't be a cakewalk though and they will have to beat out some very solid teams.

I think Limestone will still be good but lost some big names in Sundown and Papa to transfer and the graduation of Clark Walter. Belmont Abbey returns a large portion of their roster and will be very good. So does Lenoir-Rhyne, who should have a great offense. Queens has a lot of talent and depth on offense as well and will be a challenger in the south. Can't count out Rockhurst or Colorado Mesa either.
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

Will be fun to see it play out..
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

Hey. White Carrera

Time to have your first 🍺 beer

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”