UAH Men's LAX

D2 Mens Lacrosse
southlaxfacts

Re: UAH Men's LAX

Post by southlaxfacts »

How many does Tampa retain out of the 120 that show up on first day?
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Not just Tampa, Abbey has been in the 90s to start last and this year, Limestone usually in the 70s or 80s to start, FL Southern in 60s to start years. All schools with terrible retention. Many have big rosters, especially in the south, and with extra years of eligibility being handed out I am sure even more this year.
McLax

Post by McLax »

jakester wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 pm
southlaxfacts wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:01 pm I see no problem with hiring someone who coached in the conference, at a college thats also a state school in the same state, helped build a startup program from no players to around 60. Montevallo also beat UAH by 9 a year ago, despite the fact that UAH has been around for a few years longer. Clearly understands the recruiting landscape.

Congrats & Good luck to Coach Doyle.

I count 6 goalies on their 2019-2020 roster and 22 incoming freshmen! Amazing. :shock:
Not sure where you see 6 goalies for 19-20, there was a surplus of goalies year 1 of the program but 3 goalies for 19-20, not arguing just don’t see it.

They graduated 10 seniors and have historically been on the low end of roster numbers, so 22 incoming doesn’t seem over the top to me.

I am local, a fan and have a son who graduated from the program. The program has made mistakes, was not very active in recruiting and should have progressed further by now. But... I am in the category of let’s see what Doyle can do.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

McLax wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 pm
jakester wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 pm
southlaxfacts wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:01 pm I see no problem with hiring someone who coached in the conference, at a college thats also a state school in the same state, helped build a startup program from no players to around 60. Montevallo also beat UAH by 9 a year ago, despite the fact that UAH has been around for a few years longer. Clearly understands the recruiting landscape.

Congrats & Good luck to Coach Doyle.

I count 6 goalies on their 2019-2020 roster and 22 incoming freshmen! Amazing. :shock:
Not sure where you see 6 goalies for 19-20, there was a surplus of goalies year 1 of the program but 3 goalies for 19-20, not arguing just don’t see it.

They graduated 10 seniors and have historically been on the low end of roster numbers, so 22 incoming doesn’t seem over the top to me.

I am local, a fan and have a son who graduated from the program. The program has made mistakes, was not very active in recruiting and should have progressed further by now. But... I am in the category of let’s see what Doyle can do.
They were talking about Montevallo. Montevallo has 6 goalies on their 2021 roster, they also have over 20+ freshmen listed on their roster and 62 total players. For a program that’s never had a 10 win season it’ll be interesting to see how things play out and if this large of a roster helps.. IF There even is a season this spring.. fingers crossed!
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

All the more reason to pick a school to will remain at if you do not or can not play at. Let's see the roster in Jan. This seasons a HUGH question mark. So, anyone's guess is no more than a "take a chance decision" as to whether there will be a real season or just some games. There will be an asterisk next to the National Championship title, unless things change quickly.
The real question is "was this the best hire" or the easiest. 60 commit's ! So the AD believes this untested new HC, has the experience to herd cats so to say, and put together a staff, with a plan to train these players to be better at their chosen sport. This program should be ready to take the next step in the growing and developing path. That usually takes an experienced and proven leader as HC. The fact that one of his pluses was his was already living in State and has in Conference experience seems to be pretty thin to me. Again, nothing personal Mr. Doyle, I wish you all the success in the world but you are facing an uphill battle that you should not have to.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

I asked this on the YHU thread as well, what are people expecting? There definitely could be more, but without doing a deep dive into every Div 2 website the only two Div 2 teams that have hired a known commodity HC and are worth a damn in the last decade is Tampa and Wingate. The pay and the candidates just aren't there to just get mad at every school that hires an unknown. At this level that's just the way it is, look at the last 50 hires across D2 lacrosse and let me know which ones you liked (this is a general question not directed at one person).

ps I didn't know you needed 10 wins to be allowed to have 60 on the roster, so that's why its ok for all these other schools to over recruit and not Montevallo. Got it
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

shaadb-man wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:22 am I asked this on the YHU thread as well, what are people expecting? There definitely could be more, but without doing a deep dive into every Div 2 website the only two Div 2 teams that have hired a known commodity HC and are worth a damn in the last decade is Tampa and Wingate. The pay and the candidates just aren't there to just get mad at every school that hires an unknown. At this level that's just the way it is, look at the last 50 hires across D2 lacrosse and let me know which ones you liked (this is a general question not directed at one person).

ps I didn't know you needed 10 wins to be allowed to have 60 on the roster, so that's why its ok for all these other schools to over recruit and not Montevallo. Got it
Steve Gartelman to Frostburg Sate is another HC hire to go along with Wingate and Tampa.

Another point to add: look at Division 1 you don’t see the main stream media balking every time an assistant is a finalist or gets a HC job (Stony Brook, Fairfield, Michigan, Marquette). They’re usually praising the hire. I don’t see why it should be any different at this level or D3. IMO there is a ton of talented Assistant Coaches that should be rewarded for their hard work when the right opportunity opens for them! That’s the only true way to grow game...
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Correct add Gartelman to that list!

But it does look like you're getting my point that between us we cant even name a handful of experienced head coaches that have been hired as head coaches else where and have really elevated programs. And thats with how many schools adding mens lax or making coaching changes over the last decade? I also agree with your point that taking this even further its not that different at D1 and D3.

I think people need to really adjust their expectations.
Bart

Post by Bart »

StuckinD2 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:28 pm
shaadb-man wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:22 am I asked this on the YHU thread as well, what are people expecting? There definitely could be more, but without doing a deep dive into every Div 2 website the only two Div 2 teams that have hired a known commodity HC and are worth a damn in the last decade is Tampa and Wingate. The pay and the candidates just aren't there to just get mad at every school that hires an unknown. At this level that's just the way it is, look at the last 50 hires across D2 lacrosse and let me know which ones you liked (this is a general question not directed at one person).

Steve Gartelman to Frostburg Sate is another HC hire to go along with Wingate and Tampa.

Another point to add: look at Division 1 you don’t see the main stream media balking every time an assistant is a finalist or gets a HC job (Stony Brook, Fairfield, Michigan, Marquette). They’re usually praising the hire. I don’t see why it should be any different at this level or D3. IMO there is a ton of talented Assistant Coaches that should be rewarded for their hard work when the right opportunity opens for them! That’s the only true way to grow game...
Stocks doing fairly well at Uindy
McLax

Post by McLax »

Yep, he is and I don’t see anyone complaining about his 60 man roster.

UAH will not have a huge roster this year, McGowan is out and Doyle is stepping in to pick up the pieces during the Covid year.

I hate it for him that he is starting his HC career under these circumstances but will see what he brings when things get back to some version of normal.

ADs are basically in survival mode right now so take a breath until we get through this.
McLax

Post by McLax »

https://uahchargers.com/news/2021/1/8/m ... stant.aspx

UAH moving in right direction with the hire of an experienced full time assistant.

Schedule is up, looks pretty soft but I guess any schedule is better than none this season.
CarolinaLax Dad

Post by CarolinaLax Dad »

I think it's tough to find a proven commodity to take a D2 job in many cases. Coach Perridine has been successful in building the program at LR. However, he wasn't a big name coach when started the program. Sure he has a great playing pedigree, but his head coaching experience was high school - albeit very successful. His college coaching experience was as an assistant in D1 programs. He has built a successful program in what I think is a short amount of time.

I believe that maybe looking in the HS ranks for Head coaches with college coaching experience could be an alternative to hiring just D2 or D3 assistant coaches with no HC experience at any level.
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

Ik this is the first game of the season for UAH but this game is against Lees McRae is weigh too close for UAH
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Yes probably a little too close for UAH, but you have to remember this is a brand new coaching staff that didn't have a real fall ball season, has had a shortened preseason, and the game was played in Banner Elk where it is cold, windy, and high elevation. Give some credit to Coach Dunn as well-he has done a solid job of getting Lees-McRae better the last two years. UAH has two good young coaches on staff now, but will take some time both implementing schemes and culture, and recruiting.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”