UAH Men's LAX

D2 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: UAH Men's LAX

Post by River Donkey »

McLax wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:26 pm Offer made and accepted.

Word from a week ago was they were giving the hire time to settle up with his current team.

First HC job. Last 3 years assistant in D2, 2 or so years assistant in D3, Grad assistant at D2. Played D2.

Will give them courtesy of announcing but it is out there if you look hard enough.
Can you give us a another hint or maybe the conference he coached in?? I’m dying to know who got this job. Lol.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Word from a week ago was they were giving the hire time to settle up with his current team.

First HC job. Last 3 years assistant in D2, 2 or so years assistant in D3, Grad assistant at D2. Played D2.

Will give them courtesy of announcing but it is out there if you look hard enough.
Can you give us a another hint or maybe the conference he coached in?? I’m dying to know who got this job. Lol.
Never mind I figured it out...
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:46 pm
River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Never mind I figured it out...
Want to help the rest of us out with an extra hint?
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

In a quick search of other teams, it looks like they didn't leave the state to make the hire.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Thanks, I figured it out. That’s a good hire for them, although some in this thread value HC over all, this guys has been a finalist for several other D2’s over the past couple summers, glad he finally got his shot! He a young hungry coach that brings the fire!
McLax

Post by McLax »

https://uahchargers.com/news/2020/8/20/ ... coach.aspx

I think its a good pick. Worked under Lange for 2 years, I like what they were doing down with recruits. Hope it puts some life into the program.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

I'm in the best coach, if you want a good team, camp, not the most convenient one. Sorry Mr Doyle. Saving $$ must be the most important thing on the schools checklist. Not sure I can believe this was the best pick if $$ where not near the top of the list of qualifications. This program can be and well might be a force in D-2 someday. But it takes a proven leader to pull in the best players and a track record that has some history to build said program. Good luck but IMHO, no improvement over the statue quo.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

Hiring an unproven young head coach can be a gamble sometimes it pays off, most times it does not. Too many times 2 to 3 years down road the AD realizes he made a mistake. This is a program that was ready to next step. Not hiring one of the proven winning coaches who applied sends the message that winning isn't our concern. Feel bad for kids .
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Agree, start up programs are places to give startup Coaches. Not a program that is ready to take the next step and get that proven experienced HC that has a proven plan. I thought this program was getting near the point of taking that step up. But good luck.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

So you’re saying CR applied for this and didn’t get an interview?! If coaches of that caliber applied and didn’t get an interview then I totally agree with you, that does not add up.. I understand staying in region for the hire, but a coach if that caliber vs. 1st time HC of a start up program that’s closest winning record was in yr1 at 7-7... idk about all that
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

The hire was clearly based on recruiting. These schools want numbers, they couldn't care less about winning. They want the numbers and roster size to be up in the 60's. Doyle comes from Montevallo who is notoriously known for recruiting any kid with a pulse. Most if not all the schools in this new conference will lean towards this mind set too.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

How does a huge roster benefit them?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 am How does a huge roster benefit them?
He's saying that, Schools that are required to carry large rosters, are usually enrollment driven athletic departments.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Got it. Tail wagging dog.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

StuckinD2 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:55 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 am How does a huge roster benefit them?
He's saying that, Schools that are required to carry large rosters, are usually enrollment driven athletic departments.
“Heads in beds”
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

LaxManiax wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:10 am The hire was clearly based on recruiting. These schools want numbers, they couldn't care less about winning. They want the numbers and roster size to be up in the 60's. Doyle comes from Montevallo who is notoriously known for recruiting any kid with a pulse. Most if not all the schools in this new conference will lean towards this mind set too.
That is true but wouldn't be better to hire a proven, veteran coach over a AC. proven true recruiter, winning record, name would bring in more kids then a 3 year AC.
southlaxfacts

Post by southlaxfacts »

I see no problem with hiring someone who coached in the conference, at a college thats also a state school in the same state, helped build a startup program from no players to around 60. Montevallo also beat UAH by 9 a year ago, despite the fact that UAH has been around for a few years longer. Clearly understands the recruiting landscape.

Congrats & Good luck to Coach Doyle.
jakester

Post by jakester »

southlaxfacts wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:01 pm I see no problem with hiring someone who coached in the conference, at a college thats also a state school in the same state, helped build a startup program from no players to around 60. Montevallo also beat UAH by 9 a year ago, despite the fact that UAH has been around for a few years longer. Clearly understands the recruiting landscape.

Congrats & Good luck to Coach Doyle.

I count 6 goalies on their 2019-2020 roster and 22 incoming freshmen! Amazing. :shock:
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Now the question is how many come back each year? How is retention? If you have to keep bring that many in and that many leave it’s not good. Montevallo has always been know for having poor retention

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”