Young Harris lacrosse

D2 Mens Lacrosse
shaadb-man

Re: Young Harris lacrosse

Post by shaadb-man »

I do have a question

Where did all these guys that are D1 and D2 starters transfer to?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

dberglax wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:28 pm That's a great question for the President and AD. And the only ultimatum that was given was by the coach saying "Its my way or the highway" and I don't care who you are. Laxmarmot you seem to know or think you know a lot about this team. So you know that the prior 2 coaches were fired by the school. Now I have heard that YH had a history of having a few trouble makers on prior teams, but I feel this group of players were wrongfully categorized as being trouble makers and having a toxic culture. 17 kids right out of HS were Toxic?? 27-33 players were given academic achievement awards that prior semester. (more than any other team on campus) This was not a toxic team, but they somehow got lumped in with prior teams as being such. Only the President and AD can answer how we went from here to there.
I hate to break it to you but this is how it works everywhere.
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

Here we go, the pro lax forum people have arrived. I totally agree with everything you said LaxP. Shaad--I only said a couple of players could start anywhere in D2 or D3 and maybe even low D1. Not all, not some, just a couple. We can agree to disagree on that one, but I'll stand by my statement. Feel free to do some research, ask around, ask other coaches who played them. They know the names. and Point taken LaxP I'm out. I'll let the Pro Lax Forum people take back over the forums. Seems everyone is a pro on all topics and is well versed in every teams situation with all of the facts. I was simply trying to stand up for the players who got run over. Sure, maybe it could have been handled better everyone, but you lax pros should know its about the team (players). And 33 players are not all wrong on this one.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

dberg

Maybe not asked in the correct manner, but it was a real question.

Where are all these guys transferring?

There isn't going to be lacrosse at Young Harris for almost 2 years. Where did they end up, wasn't it said that the majority of the team is on the portal.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

dberglax wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:07 pm Sure, maybe it could have been handled better
There you go, finally !
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

10 10 2 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:55 pm
dberglax wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:28 pm That's a great question for the President and AD. And the only ultimatum that was given was by the coach saying "Its my way or the highway" and I don't care who you are. Laxmarmot you seem to know or think you know a lot about this team. So you know that the prior 2 coaches were fired by the school. Now I have heard that YH had a history of having a few trouble makers on prior teams, but I feel this group of players were wrongfully categorized as being trouble makers and having a toxic culture. 17 kids right out of HS were Toxic?? 27-33 players were given academic achievement awards that prior semester. (more than any other team on campus) This was not a toxic team, but they somehow got lumped in with prior teams as being such. Only the President and AD can answer how we went from here to there.
I hate to break it to you but this is how it works everywhere.
Yep, it’s nothing new.
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

laxmarmot wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:58 pm
dberglax wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:07 pm Sure, maybe it could have been handled better
There you go, finally !
Yep, by everyone. (You missed that part).
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

shaadb-man wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:32 pm dberg

Maybe not asked in the correct manner, but it was a real question.

Where are all these guys transferring?

There isn't going to be lacrosse at Young Harris for almost 2 years. Where did they end up, wasn't it said that the majority of the team is on the portal.
Yep, I think all but the 3 returning plus the seniors went into the portal.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

What if the AD found a mature, strong leader with a very good lacrosse background how many of those players would come back if the school agreed to reverse this decision and give this coach a chance?
dberglax

Post by dberglax »

Yep, but good luck with that. The AD is clueless.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Hopefully the AD will seek out a few fellow AD's for a path forward. I agree that an experienced NEW HC is needed, a proven program builder that knows and has shown, that they can build a team. We all know that everyone coming in is going to have to show their commitment the program. No bad blood from either side, so no one gets a pass. This program needs to get back on it's feet. If not, it is soley the Administration's fault. It will take quality to correct this, quality in support, staff, pay and budget. This isn't going to happen on the cheap, YHC needs to use the Men's and Women's program as a magnet to attract guality student players that are commited to honing their skills and building a total, "program 1st", enviroment. With the GSC/PBC possibly considering approving Men's Lacrosse it is vital YHC gets it's act together soon. They have the facilities, and the campus has gone thru major upgrading in the last few years. So all it needs is a true commitment from the Administration, and there will be a team in place.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

https://www.higheredjobs.com/search/det ... se%20Coach

Young Harris has officially reposted their HC opening. Hopefully this one pans out to be a good fit and someone who can reinstate this program to its competitive position in D2!
cowboylax

Post by cowboylax »

Competitive position in D2? When?
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Whenever you think, "Why in the world would ANYONE EVER look at that job?" you have to realize that there is somebody so hungry for a chance, that he'll take anything. Usually those programs continue to flounder, but every now and then it works out. Maybe they'll get lucky.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

That’s the problem they settle for someone with no experience and they continue to have issues. This will be a tough one till fill unless some changes happen
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

They aren't settling... that's who is applying for the job. Young Harris isn't any different from other schools at this level. The pay sucks and schools have to take chances on candidates with little or no experience. It's not changing at YH and outside a couple schools its not that different any where else in D2.

What level of experience are we looking for? Previous head coaching experience, or 5+ years as an assistant? What's acceptable?

If you look at this years final rankings 75% of the teams head coaches had 0 head coaching experience at the NCAA level before taking the job. Young Harris is going to have to go the same route and cross their fingers.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

I think it depends on the pool but if I have someone with HC experience I’d take them over 5 years asst. I don’t care what they say they do as a asst we all know it’s the HC doing it
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

I think the school need's to make a decision, as to whether they want to just have a team that fulfills some Conference obligation, or they want the Men's Lacrosse team to be a magnet, and for student athletes, and a team that can bring them some National recognition thru lacrosse. I know it is an over used statement but what ever you support properly, has a much better chance of growing and fulfilling your expectations. YHC needs to put their best foot forward to find someone willing to step in and do the dirty work that is required to get this program back on it's feet and running as it should. The Administration needs to decide what they want first. There are 2 paths they can follow, either they put in the needed support and find an experienced HC and staff, or we will be reading about them again in this same light.
jakester

Post by jakester »

I see Coach Jay Goldsmith landed softly somewhere. He is the new AC at NGU - https://nguathletics.com/news/2020/8/21 ... coach.aspx

Also, according to their 2021 roaster, it appears that former YHC Goalie Bryce Parrish went over as well.
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

They have bungled lacrosse for years. Not sure why it will change

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”