SSC

D2 Mens Lacrosse
JBFortunato

SSC

Post by JBFortunato »

Sad story out of Florida today, St. Leo student and goalie on lacrosse team died in a car accident.
For some reason the link to the story isn't working, just head over to IL to read the article: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/. Apparently a one car accident.
Laxwarrior

Re: SSC

Post by Laxwarrior »

Sad, Blessings to family and his teammates.

I think this link will work to get you directly there

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... over/55803
LaxDadGoFish1

Post by LaxDadGoFish1 »

Laxwarrior wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am Sad, Blessings to family and his teammates.

I think this link will work to get you directly there

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... over/55803
It is terrible. Tragic. Right now let’s just hold all those affected by this young man’s passing up in our thoughts and prayers...
old man

Post by old man »

Hearing from various people this is another drug overdose of a men lacrosse player at Rollins five years removed from the last drug related death.

Wasn't the former head coach fired in the previous instasnce? Will the same fate befall teh current head coach?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

old man, that's an unsubstantiated rumor. and a terrible one as it involves children and children's memories.

The student-athlete in 2015 died as a result of complications of the flu related to his Type One diabetes. US Lacrosse Magazine correctly printed this recently. In the case of a week ago, the cause of death is currently unknown.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
old man

Post by old man »

Right, he did die from complications from his diabetes, due to recreational drug use.

You don't fire a head coach mid-season because a player died of complications from the flu + diabetes combo.

And the student athlete that just died has zero online chatter regarding his death other than drug use. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I may be old & NOT from Florida, but I wasn't born yesterday.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

If any of it is true (and really, even if it is not true in this scenario this still holds true in others)....

Nothing said or not said will lessen the grieving families pain. There was no doubt toxicology, and the family, no doubt, already received it’s findings. So no revelations will be news to them.

End the stigma, end the shame of drug use/addiction. If someone hears that this will likely be the same result for someone that they care about, perhaps they take action which otherwise they might have avoided.

Drugs & addiction know no demographical boundaries.

However, talking about it without common sensitivity actually worsens the stigma, often generating an overly sensitive and defensive response.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

Personally I think it is inappropriate to speculate on cause of death or associated cause of death without the facts.

Lets talk lacrosse!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
interested observer

Post by interested observer »

FWIW, I have lacrosse playing kids with Type 1 diabetes. It is irresponsible, in my opinion based on personal experience and knowing how low blood sugar and high blood sugar can affect diabetics differently and mimic intoxication some times, for anyone to make light of a tragic death of a young person with diabetes and associate it with drug use, not even if you are 100% sure of the facts (certainly not on an anonymous public forum). Type 1 diabetics in their college years, whether athletes or not, need good luck, some personal discipline and the help of attentive friends/teammates to navigate that phase of their lives. even if your claim about the circumstances is right, this forum isn't the place for your comments. just my two cents.
old man

Post by old man »

the facts:

WH he died as a result of recreational drug use. his life insurance policy was NOT paid out due to this fact.
the head coach was fired.
JC died as a result of recreational drug use.
the head coach is currently working.

Rollins has a problem on their hands. You don't fire a coach the 1st time & NOT fire the next guy the 2nd time. A wrongful termination suit would be over before in began in favor of 1st coach.

This is all lacrosse talk related because a program is at stake.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”