New programs

D2 Mens Lacrosse
LaxManiax

Re: New programs

Post by LaxManiax »

Anyone have news on Flagler?

I heard they are going to make the move and have even seen coaches out recruiting.

I know many schools are keeping it hush hush about adding until they know they can field a team.
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

LaxManiax wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 am Anyone have news on Flagler?

I heard they are going to make the move and have even seen coaches out recruiting.

I know many schools are keeping it hush hush about adding until they know they can field a team.
This thread is the only place I have seen Flagler mentioned. Can someone post a link to that IL Podcast; I can't find it.
jakester

Post by jakester »

I just heard that Anderson University (SC) will start a new program for the 2020-2021 year. They play in SAC and have already hired Albert Mitchell from D1 UMass Lowell as HC.

https://www.autrojans.com/sports/mlax/2 ... 0805hliyp2
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jakester wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:33 pm I just heard that Anderson University (SC) will start a new program for the 2020-2021 year. They play in SAC and have already hired Albert Mitchell from D1 UMass Lowell as HC.

With Limestone joining that year as well, it gives the SAC 11 teams...
Rick24

Post by Rick24 »

jakester wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:33 pm I just heard that Anderson University (SC) will start a new program for the 2020-2021 year. They play in SAC and have already hired Albert Mitchell from D1 UMass Lowell as HC.

Seems like a huge lost opportunity for Conference Carolinas. They need to find some traction soon if they want to remain relevant.

leeatu

Post by leeatu »

Rick24 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 pm Seems like a huge lost opportunity for Conference Carolinas. They need to find some traction soon if they want to remain relevant.
What do you mean with this statement?
Rick24

Post by Rick24 »

leeatu wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:05 pm
Rick24 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 pm Seems like a huge lost opportunity for Conference Carolinas. They need to find some traction soon if they want to remain relevant.
What do you mean with this statement?
Sure, here is the way I see it: From a lacrosse perspective Conf Carolinas is Limestone, Belmont Abbey and Mount Olive. North Greenville has had some good games but has struggled to break a season winning record of 500 in a meaningful fashion. There are some newer teams who might hold promise but in 2 years (when Limestone moves to SAC) the conference will have two teams of recent national relevance and only 7 in total (4 of those teams totaled 7 wins in 2019).

SAC has Wingate, Queens and Lenoir Rhyne (will they snap back like Stone did in ‘19 or struggle remains to be seen but they have been strong historically). Catawba had a good season with some close losses. The conference adds Stone next season so they will have 4-5 relevant teams within two years. They will have ten teams in total.

Sunshine has Tampa, Lynn and St Leo with Rollins and Fl Southern showing some recent promise. So they are around 4-5 stronger teams. Eight teams in total.

Even the GLVC has increased its southern footprint with UAH, Young Harris and newcomer Lander choosing the Great Lakes conference. Although the conferences strength may not be on par with SAC (yet) Indy and Rockhurst have made huge strides in a short amount of time.

So the basis for my comment is the increasing strength of neighboring conferences, the departure from Carolinas of limestone (and I believe others in recent history), and Carolina schools choosing to change membership or align with conferences outside of the area. I have allegiances to Conference Carolinas teams so I hope they are able to grow the size and strength of the confidence.
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

It wasn't that long ago that all the lacrosse teams in Carolinas, South Atlantic, and Sunshine State were in one conference (Deep South Conference). Carolinas was the first to sponsor the sport in 2006 and the other two began sponsorship seven years later. I have enjoyed seeing the growth of lacrosse.

What can Carolinas do to improve itself after Limestone leaves? Get more teams by current members, re-add non-football former members currently in the SAC which includes Anderson, or expand with NAIA lacrosse-playing schools like Montreat or Tennessee Wesleyan. The SAC will be at 11 lacrosse teams with Anderson and Limestone.
jakester

Post by jakester »

So which first-year D2 team will have the best season in 2020? Let's base this on the number of wins for now.

Davenport
Lewis
Caldwell
Lander
Quincy
Frostburg State

IMO Davenport should lead this group this year. They are not a "new" program as they have played in NAIA for a number of years. They have a solid base and should play well this year. Their schedule is out already: https://dupanthers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax

I am also interested in seeing how Lander and Lewis fairs.
Last edited by jakester on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

Lewis will have the best season. Record might not show it being in that conference but they will be the best team.

Davenport lost a ton of the old scholarship kids when they were NAIA.

Quincy barely has a team.

Lander didn't have a lot of lead time to recruit.

Not much info out there about Caldwell
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Actually, the best team might be Frostburg....moving from D3
jakester

Post by jakester »

bmorelax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:07 pm Actually, the best team might be Frostburg....moving from D3
Forgot about FSU also transitioning. Thanks bmorelax. They should be putting forward a decent team as well. Exciting times in D2!
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Looks like Davenport will be jumping right into the fire with their 1st game against Seton Hill. Seton Hill didn't finish the way they wanted to in May so I'm sure they will be fired up to introduce Davenport to D2 Lax.
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

Oh yea Frostburg is going to crush it.

Cant wait for them to start pulling in those higher level local guys.

It will be something fun to watch!
jakester

Post by jakester »

leeatu wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm
LaxManiax wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 am Anyone have news on Flagler?

This thread is the only place I have seen Flagler mentioned. Can someone post a link to that IL Podcast; I can't find it.

I found this on the Flagler College website: https://www.flagler.edu/about-flagler/s ... mentation/ Look's like the Phase 2 plan for the 2020-2021 year is to introduce Men's lacrosse for 2021 fall season. Flagler is a member of the Peach Belt Conference, which includes YHS and the new Lander University program. Also, I read that Flagler College department of athletics announced it has entered into a five-year partnership with Under Armour. Looks like things are growing for this school.
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

No details given; just a tweet from Wheeling announcing the return of former sports.

Swimming (men? women? both?)
Men's Golf
Women's Lacrosse
Men's Lacrosse

https://twitter.com/wheelingu54/status/ ... 61383?s=21
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Interesting, didn't know Wheeling Jesuit dumped their program.
No Tilt

Post by No Tilt »

LaxManiax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:32 pm
Quincy barely has a team.

Lander didn't have a lot of lead time to recruit.

their team social media appears to show over 20 guys at workouts. add to that potential midyear transfers = more than "barely has a team".
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

Flagler College officially announces the addition of Lacrosse. They are building a Lacrosse facility and begin competition in the 2022 season.

https://flaglerathletics.com/news/2019/ ... grams.aspx

Press conference: https://youtu.be/et00Ni0qUQw?t=1285. Talk of the facility begins at the 41:57 mark.
HoundsDad

Post by HoundsDad »

Curious about Quincy, the UIndy schedule posted and they are not on schedule. I see Quincy does have a schedule up as well and no UIndy. Both are GLVC, just wondering if someone had any additional info?

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”