CAA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Colonial Athletic Association 2021

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:50 am Maybe it will have zero impact but with Delaware not being the wealthiest state I have to wonder if DSU likely absorbing Wesley College could that potentially siphon some resources away from Udel?

https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/ ... re-wesley/
That will have less than zero impact on the University of Delaware. UD is a private-public research university with a $1.7 Billion endowment. And ONLY 10% of the University of Delaware's funding comes from state funding each year (and was approved last week). The majority of state funding covers scholarships for in-state students. The other 90% of funding comes from tuition and earnings from the endowment. The truth is that the state only provided $11 million for in-state scholarships and the University provided an additional $18 million for the shortfall on those 6,500 in-state students.

There has been a long debate about the public-private status of the University. Most UD Presidents have battled with state law makers on the representation of actual Delawareans at the University (currently at 36%). The current President was asked why more Delaware residents are not a bigger part of the student population and he gave the unpopular response "Maybe they don't measure up?"

UD is not popular with the politicians in Dover who have been asking for an audit on their dollars for the past 5 years. UD refuses to do this. Many people have said that it is more likely that UD will become a fully private University before Kowtowing to the politicians who fund just 10% of their budget.

I know that this was a long answer to this question, but UD is is no immediate danger of any funding shortfalls.
Got it, though if UVA can’t peel off from the state of Va I can’t imagine that would ever happen w Del. I’m sure there’s other subsidies and pain the legislature can extend to the University if they get too diffident.

Know Wesley a little as Hobart player them twice earlier this decade in the D3 FB playoffs. Good sports programs but got the sense it wasn’t much else, commuter school, low grad rate, etc.

Your President doesn’t have a lot of common sense to make that comment in public or to politicians though. Even I know better and ive been know to instigate and challenge, play devils advocate to extremes in my life.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nothing really earth-shattering.
Still, its good that CAA teams participated
in this free-for-all, at least on the get side
of things,

—————————————
Re: Transfer Portal

Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense) —> OSU, Nick Williams (attack)
Hopkins - Alex Concannon (midfield) —> Hofstra
Rutgers - Demetrius Stevenson (midfield) —> Delaware
Syracuse - Sean Donnelly (attack) —> Drexel
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield) **
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield)
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack) —> Delaware

** in the portal for 2022

Div 2/3
Saint Leo - Ethan Ticehurst (defense) —> Towson
St. Lawrence - Tyler Burns —> Fairfield
Bates - Matthew Chlastawa (attack) —> Fairfield
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Want to declare an early winner?

Dumb stuff but what else is there to do but Teat our neighbors apart while avoiding getting sick.

I’d suggest the short list quickly gets to Fairfield, Del and Drexel with all due respect to Hofstra.

Donnelly is really interesting.

Feel like Stevenson could be excellent but also that I and others could be projecting like that good looking 6’5” athletic college QB like a Ryan Leaf or most Pac12 QBs. Lenkenaitis could be a significant contributor but given Ben French went to D3 and I felt French was better I’m setti Nd my expectations low for now for him.

Fairfield is really interesting getting one of the very best D3 offensive players and a defensive player who I’m told is good enough to be a real contributor.

Gun to me head is go with the potential for Donnelly to be a game changer for Drexel and Fairfield right there behind them with even for D3 the best known quantity.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 am
I’d suggest the short list quickly gets to Fairfield, Del and Drexel with all due respect to Hofstra.

Feel like Stevenson could be excellent but

Fairfield is really interesting getting one of the very best D3 offensive players and a defensive player who I’m told is good enough to be a real contributor.

Gun to me head is go with the potential for Donnelly to be a game changer for Drexel and Fairfield right there behind them with even for D3 the best known quantity.
Fairfield will get, has gotten good, very quickly, I think they would have pulled off an upset or two this year, Baxter is not waiting around.

Drexel has many, many attackmen, which is why I thought the pick up of Donnelly meant someone isn’t coming back, Donnelly could play attack or they’ll start him out at middie, they do this, some remain at midfield, a very few migrate to attack.

At worst, Delaware picked up yet another big body, which DeLuca requires as he ramps up, slowly, the strength of their scheduling.

For Hofstra, Concannon is a good pick up to work with Tierney, who’s a great passer, another senior can’t hurt with a still overall young team.

Surprised Delaware didn’t go after a goalie,
Towson did OK, Nadelen has the players to turn things around but I’m still unclear on Nadelen’s go forward plans given the Hopkins’ job chase.
harflax

Post by harflax »

For Towson, both McCleans who were both starters, are taking the fifth year. Brody on attack and Jake on midfield. Jake was their best two way middie and Brody their best attack.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Towson did OK, Nadelen has the players to turn things around but I’m still unclear on Nadelen’s go forward plans given the Hopkins’ job chase.
While Delaware lost Matt DeLuca to graduation, they have a pretty good stable of goalies on the roster this coming year. That includes incoming freshman Kevin Ellington from Loyola Blakefield.

Ellington was first team all-MIAA his junior year and is unbelievably quick and athletic. Hen fans will need to adjust their sight lines after watching the 6' 6" DeLuca in net the last four years. Ellington is probably a good 10 inches shorter.

As far as Nadelen's plans, I am sure that with Hopkins in his rearview mirror (probably forever), he plans on getting back to winning the conference every friggin' year (2020 aside obviously). I am still bummed out that the Hens did not face that 2020 version of the Tigers. They were really terrible in every aspect of the game. I am pretty positive that that will never happen again. :D
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

harflax wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:35 pm For Towson, both McCleans who were both starters, are taking the fifth year. Brody on attack and Jake on midfield. Jake was their best two way middie and Brody their best attack.
Good class this upcoming year also.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Hofstra to host CAA MLAX "Final Four" in 2021:

https://twitter.com/CAASports/status/12 ... 93/photo/1

Championships in all CAA sports to include all teams:

https://caasports.com/sports/2020/4/13/ ... ships.aspx
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nassaufan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 pm Championships in all CAA sports to include all teams:

Odd that men’s lax agreed to this.
With 6 teams only, and limited games, there’s
really no rational reason for them to go along,
since I had thought the CAA was pushing the
flexible scheduling line.
You could line up Lax Sports Net to carry all
games and recoup some costs, but you’re not
going to make any $$ off of this in lax.
OTOH, there is less incentive now for some teams
to bother with an overnight game at UMass, no
reason for Drexel or Delaware to schedule UMass
this year for a two day overnighter.
UMass might consider the same strategy for this
year’s Towson game.
Don’t know how you’d seed teams though under
those scenarios.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

My guess is they will still play each other in the regular season for the simple reason that in the second half of the year everyone else is playing conference opponents so you can't schedule anyone else. There are a few teams without conferences and some that may have a space or two but not enough for everyone to play. Nothing is certain in these time but I can't see them not playing a regular season CAA slate, or at lease most of it.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

its probably a given there will be no fall ball games - hopefully at least a split roster game maybe freshman sophs vs jr and srs- full uniforms with refs better than nothing
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

We will see about fall ball, going to be hard to say it’s safe to fill the dorms and play fall sports, but you can’t have a fall lacrosse scrimmage. I could see geographically desirable matchups, no overnights, quick bus rides etc. Once again the next few weeks will tell a lot, we all need cases to continue to drop in most states and stop rising in the flare up states. While the NESCAC was the first to cancel last spring I think Bowdoin cancelling fall sports is an outlier. Time will tell.
Stagophile

Post by Stagophile »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 am

Feel like Stevenson could be excellent but

Fairfield will get, has gotten good, very quickly, I think they would have pulled off an upset or two this year, Baxter is not waiting around.

Drexel has many, many attackmen, which is why I thought the pick up of Donnelly meant someone isn’t coming back, Donnelly could play attack or they’ll start him out at middie, they do this, some remain at midfield, a very few migrate to attack.

At worst, Delaware picked up yet another big body, which DeLuca requires as he ramps up, slowly, the strength of their scheduling.

For Hofstra, Concannon is a good pick up to work with Tierney, who’s a great passer, another senior can’t hurt with a still overall young team.

In addition to the 2 D3 AA transfers, the Stags return the core of the senior class including Dylan Beckwith (HM AA, Tewaaraton List), Travis Ford and Jake Tyson.
rocketking

Post by rocketking »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:25 pm
Nassaufan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 pm Championships in all CAA sports to include all teams:

Odd that men’s lax agreed to this.
With 6 teams only, and limited games, there’s
really no rational reason for them to go along,
since I had thought the CAA was pushing the
flexible scheduling line.
You could line up Lax Sports Net to carry all
games and recoup some costs, but you’re not
going to make any $$ off of this in lax.
OTOH, there is less incentive now for some teams
to bother with an overnight game at UMass, no
reason for Drexel or Delaware to schedule UMass
this year for a two day overnighter.
UMass might consider the same strategy for this
year’s Towson game.
Don’t know how you’d seed teams though under
those scenarios.
I think the hope, obviously, is that we're "back to normal" (or close to it) by April. But it's much easier to make this call now rather than later. Do it while all six teams are 0-0 and you can't be accused of bias.

As for the coaches agreeing to it, I would guess UMass and maybe Delaware are the only teams fairly confident that they would even qualify for the regular four-team tournament next year. Drexel, Fairfield, Hofstra and Towson (who probably would've been decent in the league if they got healthy, but don't forget they were winless when the 2020 season ended) can't be too upset about having the guaranteed tournament spot in 2021.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I am not sure how any team in the CAA would be confident of a bid in the tournament each year. Most of these contests are one-goal games and the margin for error is just so small.

Fairfield has a nice offensive squad coming back with nearly everyone returning. Baxter needs to tighten up that D to contend.
Drexel has a juggernaut offense. I believe everyone is back too.
Hofstra has some nice young offensive players and added Concannon from Hopkins and Lynskey from Holy Cross.
Towson has a solid defensive squad but it lacking on offense big time. Nads may need to consider a new OC. They looked really stale last year.
UD has to replace DeLuca in net but essentially brings back everyone including the most prolific attack in years with Kitchen, Robinson and Kurtz. Each of those guys can put up 40 goals easily.
UMass will be monsters again. Everyone is back from the team that beat Yale last year.

The open tourney is intriguing. Anyone can win.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:11 am Drexel has a juggernaut offense.
I believe everyone is back too.
The only things I’m not sure of.
This would be Matt Varian’s 6th year, so it could depend on whether he had already begun work towards post-grad.
Reid Bowering, it might depend on the NLL draft. Bowering projects as a Zach Currier, bring many different types of skills including defense, top five Transition player, I believe.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CAA only

—————————————————

Re: Transfer Portal

Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Nick Williams (attack),
Eric Wenz (defense) —> OSU
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack) —> Hofstra
Hopkins - Alex Concannon (midfield) —> Hofstra
Rutgers - Demetrius Stevenson (midfield) —> Delaware
Syracuse - Sean Donnelly (attack) —> Drexel
Towson - Casey Wasserman (midfield) **
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield),
Logan Danenza (defense) —> Hofstra
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack) —> Delaware

** in the portal for 2022

Div 2/3
Saint Leo - Ethan Ticehurst (defense) —> Towson
St. Lawrence - Tyler Burns —> Fairfield
Bates - Matthew Chlastawa (attack) —> Fairfield
Last edited by 10stone5 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Just to be clear, Danenza is the only Minuteman transferring to Hofstra.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

One indicator of how the NLL draft might go in a couple months, still, the NLL not totally decided
on how they’ll proceed.
Reid Bowering projected as a top 5, Suboch from UMass also on this list. No Charlie Kitchen, I know
he’s played Jr Box so I’m wondering if he’ll try
out for the NLL.
From what I’ve read, NLL draftees can still play
college, though not clear if other than Teat,
teams would want to spend a high draft pick on
a player who won’t play for a year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -mix/56564
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A good potential for CAA schools for next year’s
incoming class, Holden Deck,