Hofstra

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Hofstra 2020

Post by wahoomurf »

How did the transfers do?. I was hoping to get to Shuart but couldn't.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

wahoomurf wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 pm How did the transfers do?. I was hoping to get to Shuart but couldn't.
Cattoni may have called a second audible and returned to Canada to play CIS Field is my guess. My understanding is those that play CIS in the fall can play pro box and not loose eligibility at CIS Universities. Not sure what happened there. He was reportedly headed to Onondaga then made a turn south to L.I & committed to Hofstra. He's not listed on roster either of course at this point. Did he go the CIS route or will he show up in the spring at Hofstra?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I don’t believe Cattoni would be eligible yet for the NLL, maybe next year, but one of the other pro / senior leagues, sure.

There was a guy, enrolled at Queens U I believe and he did play NLL at the same time, but he was either a junior or senior at Queens.

This is one of the reasons IMO some very good Canadians don’t even bother treking south to attend NCAA schools.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

McGriff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 pm How did the transfers do?. I was hoping to get to Shuart but couldn't.
Cattoni may have called a second audible and returned to Canada to play CIS Field is my guess. My understanding is those that play CIS in the fall can play pro box and not loose eligibility at CIS Universities. Not sure what happened there. He was reportedly headed to Onondaga then made a turn south to L.I & committed to Hofstra. He's not listed on roster either of course at this point. Did he go the CIS route or will he show up in the spring at Hofstra?
Yes. CUFLA (Ontario and Quebec college league) players can play in NLL as well. Makes sense since they play in the fall and lacrosse isn't sanctioned by U Sports which is like their NCAA, but many schools have it as a varsity sport anyway (ie. McGill).
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Only one transfer, SSDM Sean Paton, played. He held his own.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 pm
McGriff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm
Yes. CUFLA (Ontario and Quebec college league) players can play in NLL as well. Makes sense since they play in the fall and lacrosse isn't sanctioned by U Sports which is like their NCAA, but many schools have it as a varsity sport anyway (ie. McGill).
Chris Boushy is one of these.
Drafted while still at Queens University.

https://www.nll.com/news/chris-boushy-t ... -new-team/

Cattoni I read somewhere, is actually 21.
So he may now be eligible for the NLL draft.

Regardless, the Dutch presumably filled that spot with a real monster, Ryan Brind-Sheridan. A box player only as far as I know.

https://www.jm3sports.com/blog/a-lacros ... nd-8-11-19
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

well we got who we got , I really like the attack this year should be more productive overall , and as always first midfield looks good , what will we get out of our sec midfield ? def and goalie rock solid-STAY HEALTHY
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“Hofstra Team Presents Nicholas Colleluori's Mom With His Original Jersey”

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rsey/55422
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

think it would be a nice touch if coach D , his former coach, could bring the blue devils up to play in the tournament
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

hofpride wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:29 pm think it would be a nice touch if coach D , his former coach, could bring the blue devils up to play in the tournament
+1
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Nassaufan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:54 pm
There will be one more chance to watch Hofstra this week when the Dutch host Keio University from Japan Friday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m.
One of KU's M line dodging drills at Mitchell Field before the scrimmage at HU last night? :shock: :) ...
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Caught the first half of the scrimmage vs. Japan's Keio University Friday night. Cold and windy at the Dutch Dome. Ten of Hofstra's 12 first-half goals were assisted. I hope to see more passing by the Dutch next spring.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Great article about Hofstra alum Steve DeNapoli:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/usa-insid ... h-team-usa
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Some new names on the 2020 schedule, including Michigan:

https://gohofstra.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Nassaufan -

Any word on how Sykes or Brind-Sheridan are doing?
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

hofstra may have to do a little houdini act to take the CAA. Houdini for a time used trap doors in every act . It was a stage he was going through
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

nclaxin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm Nassaufan -

Any word on how Sykes or Brind-Sheridan are doing?
Sykes did not play vs. Navy and Lehigh. Sheridan got a few minutes.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Hofstra has updated its roster with bios and photos of returning and new players:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster

Several freshmen and transfers played sparingly or not at all in the fall. It will be interesting to see what they can contribute. Among the newcomers:

Three big Canadians: Ryan Brind-Sheridan, Ben Stewart and Justin Sykes. You can't have too many players from up north.

Two proven Garden City scorers: Kyle Steinbach (GC playoff MVP in 2018) and Liam Muldoon (GC leader in goals and assists in 2018).

Philip Pasmeg, a physical defenseman from two-time CT state champs St. Joseph in Fairfield.

Sam Lutfi of Massapequa, voted by the Nassau County HS coaches as attackman of the year, and Richie Hickis of Farmingdale, named SSDM of the year. Cooper Trepeta of Locust Valley, another LIer, showed quickness and a nice scoring touch in the fall scrimmages.

These are just a few names I noticed in skimming the bios.

Looking forward to the 2020 season, as are we all.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

I thought the taite cantoni kid from Hopkins transferred in? I don’t see him on the roster?
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Nope. Vanished off the face of the Earth. :)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”